Australia Australia - Tamam Shud Case - Male, Dec 1948

I'm of the opinion this case has little to do with politics or espionage codes and is mostly to do with fraud and money, which, sadly leads some to murder.

Correction: to post #301 ( above) Jessica nee Harkness likely never in the Australian state, Queensland.

Re: Rubaiyat inscription by Jessica nee Harkness. She signed... JEstyn. Jestyn is a boy's name.

Feltus (2011 reprint) page 59: Largs Bay man had identified the deceased at the morgue as enlisting in 1940. Wikipedia entry Tamam Shud case "Possibly related cases" has suspicious death of KW Mangnoson, of Largs Bay, due to Mangnoson nominating the deceased as Carl Thompson. WW2roll.gov.au has a Carl Bernard Thompson (service number: NX60351) enlisting in 1940.

I seem to remember something about spies during the cold war and how they removed all the tags from the clothes they were wearing. But I'm not sure if that was true. If you look at his face though, he strikes me as being eastern european, having grown up with people from that region. The "code" might be contextual. The more I look at it, the more it looks like today's txt abreviations (eg LOL etc.) In the second line that has been struck through if the last letter had been a B then it could stand for, amongst other things, MLIAO"b" My Life Is An Open Book. Perhaps he didn't like this and that's why it's been struck out. All supposition of course, but another way to look at it.

The Advertiser (Adelaide, South Australia) 22 June 1949. Page 2.

Curious Aspects of Unsolved Beach Mystery

The other event, which has been advanced as having a possible association with the Somerton mystery, was the report that Mrs Roma Mangnoson, of Largs Bay North, mother of the two-year-old boy whose tragic death in the sandhills near Largs a fortnight ago shocked Adelaide, had been the victim of terrorisation by a masked man.

Mrs Mangnoson told a reporter from "The Advertiser" yesterday that she had been almost ran down by a battered cream car in Cheapside street, Largs Bay North on Saturday. "The car stopped and a man with a khaki handkerchief over his face told me to 'keep away from the police, or else.'" she said. A man has twice been seen lurking near the house in the last few days.

The Acting Mayor of Port Adelaide (Mr A.H. Curtis) has also been threatened with "an accident" if he "stuck his nose into the Mangnoson affair" in three anonymous telephone calls since Sunday.

Mrs Mangnoson said yesterday that it was possible that the incidents could be related to the Somerton body, which her husband had unsuccessfully tried to identify. "My husband thought that he had worked with the man at Renmark." she said. "When he came home after seeing the body at the morgue he was so upset that he could hardly eat his tea."

Mrs Mangnoson said that the only occupants of the house beside herself were her mother, Mrs S.M. Mclntyre, 57, her sister. Mrs J. Lockard, 23, and Mrs Lockard's two-month-old baby. A man had shouted in the doorway on Thursday night, and since then they had been afraid to cross 20 ft. of open ground between the kitchen and the bedrooms.

The secretary of Largs North Progress Association (Mr J.M. Gower) has also received a telephone call telling him that Mrs Mangnoson would meet with an accident.

Detective L. Bond, of Port Adelaide, who is in charge of police investigations, believes the terrorist to be a crank. Several months ago, he said, the same man had frightened a young woman in a nearby district who had also lost her husband in tragic circumstances.

Another tragic parallel between the Largs and Somerton tragedies, pointed out yesterday was that the cause of death of Clive Mangnoson, like that of the Somerton victim, who lies in West Terrace Cemetery beneath the starkly lettered headstone "Unknown Man." is still undetermined, although it was known that it was not from natural causes.

Note that the above article has been cut/pasted from the Trove .nla .gov .au website. I have done some light editing to remove typos and rearrange from newspaper column format. There was no journalist name that I could find to credit the above article to and so and I'm open to correction.

Re: the underline above. I inserted it.

What are the chances the deceased, re: underlined, also served in a military-related capacity?

The Unknown Man by GM Feltus. 2011 reprint. Page 54.

On 12 December, 1948, A lady from Salisbury (South Australia* or Victoria*) stated the deceased Somerton Man looked like her husband. They were married 7 years earlier in Sydney. She hadn't seen him for 22 months. She was from Melbourne. He was in the army and left her once before. He used an alias (Keane*) and was apparently in the habit of removing all the labels from his clothes. He was also a chain smoker. She supposedly agreed to view the body.

NB*: I have inserted the (South Australia* or Victoria*) and (Keane*).

Re: my proposal that the Somerton Man is Carl Bernard Thompsen. Under his service record his next of kin is a Winifred Thompsen.

Subsequent research took me via Nick Pelling's Cypher Mysteries website which linked me back onto Trove

nla gov au.

There was a Winifred L Williams, of Renmark, who was engaged to Keith W Mangnoson, of Alma, announced on Thursday 7 March, 1940, in the Murray Pioneer and Australian River Record, page 11, Family Notices.

That's highly likely the same KW Mangnoson that almost died (to correct an earlier post of mine) as a result of claiming to be able to identify the Somerton Man as Carl Thompsen and his friend. They were both once engaged to the same lady.

So why are they not looking into this? He's got to be Carl B. Thompsen and (we're considering a double life here) the love interest of Jessica Thompson who gave birth to the son (Robin) with the SAME--extremely rare and genetic, mind you--ear deformity!

So why are they not looking into this? He's got to be Carl B. Thompsen and (we're considering a double life here) the love interest of Jessica Thompson who gave birth to the son (Robin) with the SAME--extremely rare and genetic, mind you--ear deformity!

This case is officially considered adjournment sine die. Robin Thomson's widow and daughter have both publically favored exhumation of the unknown man at Somerton for DNA testing so as to confirm. IMHO, they ought to privately examine for themselves the daughter's physical features - if they not done so already. Especially, distinctive calve muscle formation and toe shape, large hands, etc.

Double life? Jessica. Sister. JEstyn. Johnson. Powell. Thomson. Teresa. Tess. Tessie. Tina. Jo. Ellen. Harkness. Her every contact with police is to fib. Cover. Stall. Deflect the course of justice.

Carl B. Thompson, I say, was an ex-WWII army man who continued to engage in the espionage tactic of dry clean in his civvy life so as to not draw attention to his wealth.

Wow! Thats a great lead :)

Well worth a visit is - theunknownman com (au) - website. Copies of the true account of the police investigation may still be available.

Another lead: [video=youtube;u571rcZHs-I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u571rcZHs-I[/video]

Again, I refer to the aforementioned book. On 26 July 1949, when shown the cast of the deceased, the nurse's reaction was described as, "Completely taken aback, to the point of giving the appearance that she was about to faint." Capital punishment (death penalty) was a legal sentence for murder, back then.

Does anyone know which poisons he was tested for? I mean, it's possible that they only tested for common poisons, or what would have been common in that area at that time. But if he was actually a spy, who knows what sort of strange poison could have been used. Was a thorough autopsy performed? I'm sure there was, I just can't remember. I'd love to see the coronors and toxicologists full reports. Just spitballing here, of course, and maybe it's a hazard of being raised by a chemistry teacher, but I just wonder what clues were hidden, biologically speaking. Can they not exhume the body and test his DNA against the kid they think could be his son?

That's what they are trying to do but the Australian government doesn't want that to happen. There's a petition you can sign.

That's what they are trying to do but the Australian government doesn't want that to happen.

I don't believe that's necessarily the case.

I looked into the issue of why no exhumation had taken place and it appears that under Australian law exhumations can only be done for very specific purposes, one of which is to obtain evidence in a murder case. However it's not clear by any means that this was a murder, as no evidence of murder was found at the time, and at least some commentators believe the death could have been entirely natural due to positional asphyxia. This occurs when the head and neck are positioned in such a way that it constricts the breathing but the person is unable to shift his position to remove the constriction.

Have there ever been updates to this case? I'm enamored by it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back