Toad survives 40 minutes in dog's stomach!!

miss_vegemite

Reaction score
Eeek..cane toad pie lol..

Poor Bella having one of those big toads crawling around inside his belly. Cane toads are indestructible:eek:.. unless run over by a car.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2008/06/10/4342_ntnews.html
A CANE toad has survived after being eaten by a dog and spending 40 minutes in the animal's stomach.

The super toad was eventually vomited up by the dog and hopped away shaken but seemingly unharmed. The dog also lived to bark another day -- proving she's as tough as her owner, Darwin rugby league star Jackson Crews.
Bella was playing in her backyard in Bakewell, Palmerston, when she swallowed the toad.
"I went to feed the dogs some left over pies and pasties,'' Mr Crews said.
"I threw them on the grass and as I did I noticed a cane toad. Bella saw it and thought it was one of the pies.
"She swallowed it whole.''
He immediately called the Ark Animal Hospital and was told to bring in the dog straight away.
"They gave her a needle to help her vomit,'' he said.
"She vomited a lot of pies and pasties but nothing else came up. Then they gave her another needle and she spewed up the cane toad.''
Mr Crews, 27, said he couldn't believe both dog and toad survived the episode.
The toad is being kept at the animal hospital where staff have named it Spew.
Scientists believe hundreds of Territory dogs and cats have fallen victim to the cane toad's deadly toxins. The toads release a poison when under stress and can kill a large dog within minutes.
Mr Crews said it was probably Bella's greedy nature that had saved her life.
"She swallowed it whole -- that's probably why she survived,'' Mr Crews said.
There have also been reports of dogs getting "high'' after licking the backs of cane toads. But Mr Crews said Bella had shown no signs of unusual behaviour since her encounter with the toxic toad.

It's amazing what a dog will do! like eatting a toad or it's own crap:eek:

My dog has tried to eat frogs and she foams at the mouth. It scared me to death the first time I saw it. I guess the release some kind of nasty stuff that make the dog foam. I've never heard of a cane toad. Good thing for us.

Eeek..cane toad pie lol..

Poor Bella having one of those big toads crawling around inside his belly. Cane toads are indestructible:eek:.. unless run over by a car.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2008/06/10/4342_ntnews.html
A CANE toad has survived after being eaten by a dog and spending 40 minutes in the animal's stomach.

The super toad was eventually vomited up by the dog and hopped away shaken but seemingly unharmed. The dog also lived to bark another day -- proving she's as tough as her owner, Darwin rugby league star Jackson Crews.
Bella was playing in her backyard in Bakewell, Palmerston, when she swallowed the toad.
"I went to feed the dogs some left over pies and pasties,'' Mr Crews said.
"I threw them on the grass and as I did I noticed a cane toad. Bella saw it and thought it was one of the pies.
"She swallowed it whole.''
He immediately called the Ark Animal Hospital and was told to bring in the dog straight away.
"They gave her a needle to help her vomit,'' he said.
"She vomited a lot of pies and pasties but nothing else came up. Then they gave her another needle and she spewed up the cane toad.''
Mr Crews, 27, said he couldn't believe both dog and toad survived the episode.
The toad is being kept at the animal hospital where staff have named it Spew.
Scientists believe hundreds of Territory dogs and cats have fallen victim to the cane toad's deadly toxins. The toads release a poison when under stress and can kill a large dog within minutes.
Mr Crews said it was probably Bella's greedy nature that had saved her life.
"She swallowed it whole -- that's probably why she survived,'' Mr Crews said.
There have also been reports of dogs getting "high'' after licking the backs of cane toads. But Mr Crews said Bella had shown no signs of unusual behaviour since her encounter with the toxic toad.

Okay WTH is "pasties"??? I am picturing this woman feeding her dog pies and little nipple coverings with tassels:confused:

That is SO something one of my boys would do! They're both such big piggys they never stop to chew!

LOL am I the only one who feels sorry for the frog?? ahah

Boy, is that weird! Lucky dog, those cane frogs are bad news!

That dog sounds like my golden~ I don't think she chews anything just swallows it whole. Probably why the frog survived.

Boy, is that weird! Lucky dog, those cane frogs are bad news!

That dog sounds like my golden~ I don't think she chews anything just swallows it whole. Probably why the frog survived.

And the dog too! Those cane frogs are lethal.

We ran into a little green frog a while back when walking the dogs after a rain. It was absolutely hysterical. My Rottie walked up to it and sniffed and the look on his face when it hopped away was totally priceless.

I'm glad the dog survived but that is so disgusting!!!
sick009.gif

Can you even imagine the gas that dog had afterwards?!?! Ewwwww!

LOL Pasties. It did say that!

Okay WTH is "pasties"??? I am picturing this woman feeding her dog pies and little nipple coverings with tassels:confused:
LOL, a pastie (pronounced parsty, her is Aus) is a baked savoury pastry case filled with diced meat, potato and onion. Sometimes called the Cornish Pastie. They are really yummy.:)

LOL am I the only one who feels sorry for the frog?? ahah
I think you might be Amanda:)....the only thing they are good for is golf practice....Im just pleased that the pooch is ok as these things are deadly to pets.....check out how big these things can grow.....they are also an introduced species and not native to Austalia.
cane%2520toad.jpg

I think you might be Amanda:)....the only thing they are good for is golf practice....Im just pleased that the pooch is ok as these things are deadly to pets.....check out how big these things can grow.....they are also an introduced species and not native to Austalia.
cane%2520toad.jpg
Yep, that's a big one dingo lol.. You know, I remember my Dad swerving the car on holidays in Queensland to get them hehe. Made a popping noise:eek:

Youre up there with them MV and I could handle that....I hate frogs in any shape or form and they are my biggest nightmare....when they start moving down into my territory Ill keep moving.....even if I end up in Tassie:eek::D

cane&

eh please tell me ur just kiddin' when you say golf practice. Please.
Me thinks you and Miss Veg's Dad are going to the same place when you die.........frog heaven (or hell if you prefer)
Always be nice to nature : )

eh please tell me ur just kidding' when you say golf practice. Please.
Me thinks you and Miss Veg's Dad are going to the same place when you die.........frog heaven (or hell if you prefer)
Not kidding at all..they are also killed and make into stupid souvenirs here. do some research and see the damage they have done here and how quick they can kill a family pet then come back with an informed opinion :rolleyes:..thanks for wishing me to hell Arizona .....I really appreciate your sentiments:rolleyes::razz:

eh please tell me ur just kiddin' when you say golf practice. Please.

Nope Arizona, definately not kidding here either.

Australians have come up with many ways to kill cane toads. The only predator the cane toad has is human.

They are destroying our eco-system and killing an enormous amount of wildlife. Read the research.

Luckily you're not God, so I don't really give a hoot about where you think my Dad will be going in the after-life. ;-)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back