NY NY - Sheryl Tillinghast, 17, Wassaic, 24 Sept 1973

Cold Case: Holding out hope for a miracle

Sheryl Tillinghast was 17 when she disappeared without a trace in September 1973

http://www.mpnnow.com/article/20151226/NEWS/151229794

"While she was gone, she would write a letter every other week to her sisters," the investigator said. "She was concerned about them. She wanted to know that things were going well for them and that they were being taken care of, and she had concerns that maybe they weren't."

Tillinghast would never visit, however, and by September 1973, her letters to the house stopped as did her employment at the Wassaic State School.

Despite the tumultuous relationship between the two, Tillinghast's mother, Gertrude Belcher, dug into her daughter's mysterious absence, but did not get any answers.

Crowley said there are suspects, but for Hinckley there is a prime suspect — a man whom her sister became involved with romantically at the Wassaic State School.

He was an older man who had also worked in the laundry facility. His family members were administrators at the school, according to Hinckley.

She believes that Tillinghast's remains are somewhere around that decaying school. It's a rural area, she said, one with a swamp and pond.

"What was she going through her last few minutes before she died — did she suffer?" Hinckley asked. "I'll never have closure to know that my sister is still out there. You want to know what happened. In order to put this to rest, you need to know what happened to your loved one. Even if the truth of what happened is painful, you still need to know."

From April:

Search continues for missing woman with local ties

http://www.mpnnow.com/article/20160416/NEWS/160419619/?Start=1

For Hinckley, who grew up with Tillinghast and their six other siblings in a single-wide trailer in the town of Phelps, this time of year is the most difficult to deal with regarding the disappearance. On Saturday, Tillinghast would turn 60 years old.

“The entire month I can’t think of much else,” Hinckley said.

Hinckley, who has since relocated to Sanford, Florida, has been looking for answers regarding her sister’s disappearance for years, but little has turned up.

“The older I get, the more I see that time is of the essence,” Hinckley said. “I would like some answers to put this to rest.”

The more days that pass without answers, the more passionate Hinckley becomes about finding answers.

“Having a loved on missing can almost consume your life,” Hinckley said. “Thinking of what may have happened to them, where they are, did they suffer. These are the thoughts I have. … I think a lot of the time it’s families who are the driving force that keeps these cases alive.”

With mystery still shrouding the case, Hinckley, who has four children of her own, plans to have a prayer of remembrance today.

“Being a believer, I know God knows the truth,” Hinckley said. “He knows where she is. I pray everyday that He will lead the investigators to her and the truth.”

4 bodies found in barrels in Bear Brook State Park in Allenstown, NH; one woman, 3 children, 2 of whom are related to the woman
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/799ufnh.html

Sheryl resembles the composite for the woman found in Allenstown, as does Sheryl's niece. Sheryl's sister bears a resemblance with the youngest child, and the oldest child has top front teeth with a gap.

attachment.php

Attachments

• composite.jpg
    composite.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 87
4 bodies found in barrels in Bear Brook State Park in Allenstown, NH; one woman, 3 children, 2 of whom are related to the woman
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/799ufnh.html

Sheryl resembles the composite for the woman found in Allenstown, as does Sheryl's niece. Sheryl's sister bears a resemblance with the youngest child, and the oldest child has top front teeth with a gap.

attachment.php

A fantastic find.. but both DNA's are in NAMUS wouldn't they have crossed matched ?

A fantastic find.. but both DNA's are in NAMUS wouldn't they have crossed matched ?

If DNA is entered for someone who went missing, does that mean it is the missing person's DNA, or will they also use a family member's DNA (for comparison, like a mother or sister)? Where do they get DNA from a person that wasn't reported missing until 25 years after they disappeared?

If DNA is entered for someone who went missing, does that mean it is the missing person's DNA, or will they also use a family member's DNA (for comparison, like a mother or sister)? Where do they get DNA from a person that wasn't reported missing until 25 years after they disappeared?

A family members DNA can be used below is the NAMUS guidelines for the collection of DNA.

https://identifyus.org/documents/NamUs-DNA_Protocol_for_Collection.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bumping for Sheryl, who has been missing for 44 years today.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back