GUILTY MD - Hyunsu O'Callaghan, 3, beaten to death, Damascus, 31 Jan 2014

kimi_SFC

Reaction score
This is being profiled on Nancy Grace right now. She is referring to the child as #BabyMadoc. HuffPo refers to him by his Korean name.

This story broke back in February 2014 - the exact TOD was not known, but approximated between 31Jan - 2 Feb 14

Brian O'Callaghan, NSA Division Chief, Accused In Fatal Beating Of Adopted Toddler

(snip)

A National Security Agency division chief is accused of beating his recently adopted son to death.

Brian O'Callaghan, 36, was held without bail following the Feb. 3 death of 3-year-old Hyunsu O'Callaghan. The suspect and his wife adopted the boy from South Korea in October, according to WUSA.

O'Callaghan, a Marine who has served in Iraq, is the NSA's Korea Division chief and holds top-secret intelligence clearance, the Washington Post reported.

According to charging documents, the suspect said the boy slipped in the shower and hurt himself Jan. 31. O'Callaghan's wife was out of town at the time.

O'Callaghan said he spent the next day out with his son. After putting the boy down for a nap, he said he noticed a pinkish fluid staining his son's mattress, and mucus coming from his nose. He told police that the child began projectile vomiting when he picked him up, so he rushed to the hospital.

Doctors called police after determining Hyunsu had brain trauma and was hemorrhaging in the eyes, according to WJLA. The child died a day later.

The boy's father was arrested Feb. 12 and charged with first-degree murder and child abuse resulting in death.

(More@Link)

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4815492

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Patrick O' Callaghan charged with murdering 3 year old son | WJLA.com

February 18, 2014

(snip)

DAMASCUS, Md. (AP) - Montgomery County police say a Damascus man has been charged in the death of his 3-year-old son.

Police announced Tuesday that 36-year-old Brian O'Callaghan, an NSA analyst and former combat Marine, has been charged with first-degree murder and child abuse resulting in the death of his adopted son, Hyunsu, earlier this month.

It is alleged that sometime between January 31 and February 2 in the family’s Damascus home, O’Callaghan beat to the death the three-year-old boy he and his wife adopted from Korea just three months earlier.

"The injuries to this child were catastrophic injuries," said State's Attorney John McCarthy. "I think the evidence supports the charges that were brought."

Investigators were called to Children's National Medical Center in Washington on February 2, and police say they learned that the boy's injuries, including trauma to the brain, indicated he had been beaten. The boy died the next day and police say an autopsy determined the manner of death was homicide by multiple blunt impact injuries.

Court documents reveal the injuries to the little boy included a fractured skill, which a medical examiner claims could not have come from a fall as O’Callaghan said was the cause to police.

After a judge order, O’Callaghan was held without bond as his wife, parents, and in-laws left the courthouse without comment.

More @ Link - including embedded video:
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/0...ged-with-murdering-3-year-old-son-100329.html

:rose:

Damascus dad indicted on murder, child abuse charges in son’s death -- Gazette.Net

(snip)

Medical tests determined the boy had bleeding in the brain and hemorrhaging in his eyes, findings doctors said support the boy had been recently beaten, according to charging documents.

An autopsy found a skull fracture and bleeding on the front and back of the brain, with multiple impacts to the head. The autopsy found “multiple contusions consistent with impact trauma,” according to police.

O’Callaghan was arrested on Feb. 16 and is being held without bail.

(snip)

First-degree murder carries a maximum sentence of life in prison, a spokesman for the state’s attorney’s office said in an email.

http://m.gazette.net/article/201403...arges-in-son-x2019-s&template=frontpageMobile

I will post the NG transcript / link ASAP tomorrow. There is a blog that is following the upcoming trail, but I'm fairly certain I can't link it due to TOS.

Adoption advocates are following Madoc's case for many reasons. This is SO heartbreaking. You can find the links by running a quick search on the perp's name.

It appears he was the head of the NSA's Korean Division, and was involved in the rescuing of US soldier Jessica Lynch.

These credentials helped him and his wife to pass the vetting process to adopt Little Madoc, who was a Special Needs child from Korea.

He may not have ever had access to the child without them.

Now, this boy has died a brutal death at his hands, the wife was away, and she's standing by her husband.

:sick:

There was also another biological child living in the home. Heaven only knows what he saw before his adopted brother gained his wings.

I don't know how to even approach that aspect of this case (TOS).

I need to go light a candle first.

#JusticeForMadoc

Onetime NSA division chief to plead guilty in young son’s death, court files show.

A onetime division chief for the National Security Agency is expected to plead guilty this month to child abuse resulting in death, according to records filed in Montgomery County Circuit Court.

Brian O’Callaghan, 38, of Damascus was arrested last year in connection with the death of his 3-year-old son, Madoc. At that time, authorities said O’Callaghan beat the child to death — several months after he and his wife adopted the boy from South Korea.

Under the terms of a plea deal with prosecutors, O’Callaghan would plead guilty to the abuse count, which is punishable by up to 40 years in prison, according to court records. Prosecutors have agreed to drop a charge of first-degree murder, which carries a possible sentence of life in prison. Court documents show that a plea hearing is set for 1:30 p.m. Nov. 23.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...2f6c70-81a2-11e5-a7ca-6ab6ec20f839_story.html

:mad: From your link:

ROCKVILLE, Md. (WUSA9) — A judge here handed Iraq War veteran and former NSA division chief Brian O’Callaghan a 12 year prison sentence for the beating death of his adopted 3-year-old son.

With parole and time served, he could be out in about four years.

O’Callaghan admitted he hurled Madoc Hyunsu O’Callaghan across the room. Prosecutors said he beat him repeatedly, in the head and in the scrotum.

They’d dropped a murder charge after O’Callaghan agreed to plead guilty to child abuse resulting in death. The maximum for that one count is 40 years, but O’Callaghan’s lawyer, Steven McCool, argued that Post Traumatic Stress Disorder had left him incapable of controlling his rage.

Montgomery County Circuit Court Judge John Debelius gave him the bottom of the 12 to 20 year sentencing guideline.

ETA: He and his wife lied to the adoption agency when asked if he had any mental issues. He also stopped taking his meds in order to pass a drug test. An expert said his having “explosiveness” and “irritability” would have made him “frustration intolerant” and he would not have recommended the adoption.

Another case of selfish people putting their own needs before that of an innocent child.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back