Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.14.17 - Day 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're now seeing an up close photo of the serial number of The Eliminator.
by Adam Carter 3:49 PM

"Everything about this machine was done according to the standards and the rules that have to do with these machines, right?" Millard asks. "That's right," Penner says.
by Adam Carter 3:50 PM

Millard now asking about the "roll back lid," which allows the whole lid of the unit to roll off, to expose the whole body of the thing.
by Adam Carter 3:51 PM

Penner says with that, you could load a four to five hundred pound pig into it. But for pet cremation, a hatch makes more sense, Penner says.
by Adam Carter 3:52 PM

Millard is done. Dungey has no cross. Now there's a reexamination from the Crown.
by Adam Carter 3:53 PM

Crown asking about the advice they give clients as to specifications. Penner says it depends on what the client tells them they need to use it for.
by Adam Carter 3:54 PM

The Crown is now done. Penner is finished.
by Adam Carter 3:55 PM

Now taking the afternoon recess for fifteen minutes.
by Adam Carter 3:55 PM

If you think about it no. I think it works against him yet again if the jury thinks hard about it. Remember, she stated bones SHRINK as they are burned. Deer bones would be so much smaller... as would Lauras!

The science behind that presentation was bad. The crown knows it, but it doesn't matter because at the end of the day the photo was put in front of the jury. Whether they believe the science or not, I don't think anybody doubts that those aren't LBs remains in there. The witness want great but mission accomplished. A good attorney might have argued that the photo should not be allowed outside of the presence of the jury, but you get what you pay for.

The cell tower that was pinged on 3 July for DM's home is reported to be 800m from the Maplegate residence. Would the same tower be used to pick LB up at Kipling Station? I don't know Toronto streets very well.

If the same tower would be used, is it possible that MS did not leave Maplegate and travel with DM to pickup LB? MS phone would ping the same tower by virtue of being in the same area, not necessarily in a vehicle with DM?

It was clear from the evidence that only DM went to pick her up

The records show Babcock's phone arriving at a cell tower near Kipling subway station in the early evening of July 3, 2012. Around the same time, Millard's phone connected with the same cell tower.

The pair of phones moved to a tower near Millard's home on Toronto's western edge where Smich's phone connected with a nearby tower, according to data from a police analyst.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/babcoc...ell-tower-near-millard-s-home-court-1.3660792

The same story goes on to report
Shortly after midnight on July 4, 2012, the phones began to move. They started at a tower near Millard's home before all three moved westbound.
. I think the reporter was confused about when this happened, probably the story's author was not actually in court.

Awesome that MM was there. Imo her testimony will be a real nail biter from start to finish. She'll spill all she knows/recalls imo.

Imo, no way MM knew what was to happen that night nor is she likely to have realized it the next day. I base this mainly on the fact DM did not want her to be at the hangar when LB was cremated in the Eliminator on 24 July.

First, there is no evidence she was there on the night of the 3rd. Only mention of her is on the 4th when Millard asks Smich he wants alcohol for him and MM. Possibly MM showed up on the 4th? And don't be so quick to write off her involvement. Smich had no problem bringing her to the bbq, just didn't want to be seen loading the body. She did hear the rap lyrics, she accepted the iPad, and was later likely well aware of LBs disappearance. And lets not forget about her begging Smich not to go on the TB mission. She knew a lot more than you are giving her credit for.

The science behind that presentation was bad. The crown knows it, but it doesn't matter because at the end of the day the photo was put in front of the jury. Whether they believe the science or not, I don't think anybody doubts that those aren't LBs remains in there. The witness want great but mission accomplished. A good attorney might have argued that the photo should not be allowed outside of the presence of the jury, but you get what you pay for.

These photos, with grids are commonly used in trials though. I don't think the science is really that bad, I would think the testimony the witness gave was in much greater detail than we are getting on Twitter. The similar evidence I have seen in the past, was pretty convincing.

Awesome that MM was there. Imo her testimony will be a real nail biter from start to finish. She'll spill all she knows/recalls imo.

Imo, no way MM knew what was to happen that night nor is she likely to have realized it the next day. I base this mainly on the fact DM did not want her to be at the hangar when LB was cremated in the Eliminator on 24 July.

I agree, possibly also the reason DM may not have involved MS. May not have trusted that MM wouldn't find out.

Any idea who will be up next on the stand?

my guess would be SS.....would make sense after Penner......to explain why he ordered the Eliminator....MOO

ETA....OR NOT

The next witness is Rhonda Haley

I'm still confused about LB's last hours. If MS and MM were staying in the house as I interpreted from the text exchange between MS and DM, MM would have most likely heard a shot. On the other hand, all discussions DM had with MS, the weapon and the ammo was for MS to satisfy his itch. He also rapped; ""My 380 is NO stranger, when Im angered you're in danger.", shortly after LB's disappearance. Just hard to understand that they would shoot her in the house with a noisy pistol when MM was there.

Hopefully MM fills in some of the pieces. moo

These photos, with grids are commonly used in trials though. I don't think the science is really that bad, I would think the testimony the witness gave was in much greater detail than we are getting on Twitter. The similar evidence I have seen in the past, was pretty convincing.

The image wasn't detailed enough to make such fine measurements. Its like if a cop were to give you a ticket for going 5km over the limit when the radar gun has a +/- variance of 5km. In this case we are averaging LBs bone size, we are averaging the size of a deers bones, and there is admittedly a possible error factor in the grid itself. So to make determinations based on a couple of millimetres is bad science.

First, there is no evidence she was there on the night of the 3rd. Only mention of her is on the 4th when Millard asks Smich he wants alcohol for him and MM. Possibly MM showed up on the 4th? And don't be so quick to write off her involvement. Smich had no problem bringing her to the bbq, just didn't want to be seen loading the body. She did hear the rap lyrics, she accepted the iPad, and was later likely well aware of LBs disappearance. And lets not forget about her begging Smich not to go on the TB mission. She knew a lot more than you are giving her credit for.

She was there on the 3rd at 3:21 when MS said he was going to take a bath with her.

I'm still confused about LB's last hours. If MS and MM were staying in the house as I interpreted from the text exchange between MS and DM, MM would have most likely heard a shot. On the other hand, all discussions DM had with MS, the weapon and the ammo was for MS to satisfy his itch. He also rapped; ""My 380 is NO stranger, when Im angered you're in danger.", shortly after LB's disappearance. Just hard to understand that they would shoot her in the house with a noisy pistol when MM was there.

Hopefully MM fills in some of the pieces. moo

I'm not sold on a gun being used. I'm leaning towards Millard using his bare hands for this one.

Quite sure my opinion and what I have deduced so far is as valid as your opinion MM will not cooperate.

We'll see what MM knew and when she knew it, right?

The image wasn't detailed enough to make such fine measurements. Its like if a cop were to give you a ticket for going 5km over the limit when the radar gun has a +/- variance of 5km. In this case we are averaging LBs bone size, we are averaging the size of a deers bones, and there is admittedly a possible error factor in the grid itself. So to make determinations based on a couple of millimetres is bad science.

But "likelhood" is on the side of it being a human bone. Too many things were happening that indicate it was not a deer. Just ask the locals how many times they find "another" dead deer on their farm. MOO

Quite sure my opinion and what I have deduced so far is as valid as your opinion MM will not cooperate.

We'll see what MM knew and when she knew it, right?

MM will be the same vapid girl she was when she testified at TBs trial. She will know nothing, just like the rest of them.

We're now back in session.
by Adam Carter 4:18 PM

The next witness is Rhonda Haley.
by Adam Carter 4:19 PM

She's been with Toronto police for 15 years, currently working with the forensic identification unit.
by Adam Carter 4:20 PM

Crown Katie Doherty is asking about investigations she was part of in September and October of 2013.
by Adam Carter 4:21 PM

Does anyone else think that the idea of MS and MM "taking a bath together" is really odd? Especially in the middle of the afternoon? A dip in a hot tub or pool sure...but a bath? Is it possible that this is code for something else?

Does anyone else think that the idea of MS and MM "taking a bath together" is really odd? Especially in the middle of the afternoon? A dip in a hot tub or pool sure...but a bath? Is it possible that this is code for something else?

Bath salts trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member