Identified! NY - Yonkers, Skeletal remains wrapped in carpet, Jun'17 - Michael Newman

I was thinking that of the ring as well---with the tape on the back of the ring we can hope for a finger print or two. Odd that the watch band is so rusty.
Not to sound like a dope-- but I am a huge Antiques Road Show fan--- wonder if one of the jewelers could provide some info on origins of the jewelry.

yes someone that knows watches could identify the watch I wish it was a clearer image. I noticed the rust also which brings up the Aged question. Maybe the person was wrapped in that rug for a very long time. This reminds me soo much of that story from the 1990s of the Drag Queen Dorian that died here in NYC and after her death they found this guy wrapped in naugahyde in her closet and it turned out to be a guy that had been missing since the 70s or something like that...
I was thinking that of the ring as well---with the tape on the back of the ring we can hope for a finger print or two. Odd that the watch band is so rusty.
Not to sound like a dope-- but I am a huge Antiques Road Show fan--- wonder if one of the jewelers could provide some info on origins of the jewelry.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3993dmny.htmlGSLennon[1].jpg

George Solomon Lennon
Missing since November 2, 1999 from Queens, New York
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: June 3, 1919
Age at Time of Disappearance: 80 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8"; 170 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Black male. Graying, black hair; brown eyes; medium complexion. Wears glasses with wire frames.
Clothing, Jewelry: Gray hat; black cotton jacket; gold watch, gold ring.
Medical: Possibly suffering from Alzheimer's disease.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Lennon was last seen at approximately 07:00 at his residence in the vicinity of 24th Street in Queens, New York on November 2, 1999. He wandered away from his residence possibly traveling toward Florida.

I hope someone recognizes the jewelry. If not I think there were still some teeth in the mandible. Would there be a smoky smell if the body was charred vs maybe musty if mummified? Hopefully closure for a family.

636331409711282888-jewlery-4[1].jpg I have been able to figure out this much.. The bottom 2 words look like JAPAN MOVT then in the middle the word looks like QUARTZ and right under that WATER RESISTANT. But I still don't know the company of the watch... ugh

Wow!! Good eye madamx. Last night I was trying every which way to make it out with no luck. It could just be the picture, but the numbers look oversized. Which perhaps means it was for someone with poor eyesight ie older person.

Wow!! Good eye madamx. Last night I was trying every which way to make it out with no luck. It could just be the picture, but the numbers look oversized. Which perhaps means it was for someone with poor eyesight ie older person.
This kind of style of watch, particularly how wonky the numbers look, was prevalent in a watch design in 30's and 40's. Now, that's not to say this was a replica of sorts as things come in and out of fashion.

That ring looks like a pinky ring. Remember the movie "Goodfellas", all the male characters wore pinky rings. The band on that watch probably isn't the original. I'd say it's more likely from the 1950s or 60s when Japanese movements were gaining after WW2.
If I'm right about the pinky ring...Carmelo Diaz (posted above by madamx- post #17) seems to be sporting quite a handful of rings. http://nypdnews.com/2017/04/missing-person-bronx-37/

Long shot but==== maybe the ring and or watch is engraved ????

I hope the newspapers run the jewelry. Someone has to recognize the jewelry. Good sleuthing MadameX. Curious to see what the ME has to say about the remains.

yes good call coffeeandacig! it looks similar the pinky ring Carmelo Diaz is wearing on his right hand.. but with all that jewelry he is not wearing a watch..so vintage Japanese 50s 60s could be something to look for.

That ring looks like a pinky ring. Remember the movie "Goodfellas", all the male characters wore pinky rings. The band on that watch probably isn't the original. I'd say it's more likely from the 1950s or 60s when Japanese movements were gaining after WW2.
If I'm right about the pinky ring...Carmelo Diaz (posted above by madamx- post #17) seems to be sporting quite a handful of rings. http://nypdnews.com/2017/04/missing-person-bronx-37/

I'm finding VELLACCIO watches on eBay. Located a couple women's watches with the identical face. The description indicated it is " modern 2000 - present." Looking further.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

oh wow great find Gardener1850 I think your on to something here!!!!!!!!!!!img_18138[1].jpeg

Silver Alert
Notification issued on 5/4/11 at 10 PM. The NYPD has issued a Missing Senior Notification for Francisco Mendez a Male, Hispanic, age 84. He was last seen near Melrose st and Bushwick Avenue. He is described as 5'8" 150 lbs, wearing a red flannel shirt, blue jeans, black shoes and a black baseball cap.Watch and a ring with a black stone on it
Kings County, New York
84 year old white hispanic/latino male

Lots of good suggestions in this thread already. One more I found:

Francisco Mendez: missing from Brooklyn since 2011 wearing "Watch and a ring with a black stone"
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/10581/

So many people this could be. I hope his family recognizes the jewelry. The ring seems very old and custom made.

yeah I know what you mean..And there ARE so many old men missing in Bronx and Brooklyn its weird too. I wish they would give out more info on how AGED is AGED.. and any info on the carpet might help too..
So many people this could be. I hope his family recognizes the jewelry. The ring seems very old and custom made.

I used to manage a building on this block - this street is known for drug problems - cannot count the amount of incidents we had that attracted Yonkers police and even FBI attention. I would bet good money that this UID will not be anyone listed in any MP database, will be a male in his 50s - 60s, Hispanic, involved in the drug world.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back