South Hadley,MA Phoebe Prince 15 kills self over bullying #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
OT, at this time, but this is an older interesting run4chocolate blog post that illustrates the hypocrisy of some SHHS students, imo. One is mentioned in this blog post to have called Phoebe names, having admitted such online, per sauerkraut, yet went on video on ABC professing her sadness...she is a teammate of Kayla Narey...she is named...
http://run4chocolate.wordpress.com/...phoebe-prince-an-irish-*advertiser censored*/

On this girls myspace page she also has a tribute to Phoebe. I personally have not seen the evidence that she called Phoebe names, but there have been several references to the fact that she did which began to make me feel like Phoebe really had a very very small amount of friends, especially considering of the ones I've seen nobody mentions her until after she died.

The interview with Sharon's mom directly disproves the schools statements, she says that her daughter was suspended a MONTH before Phoebe's death for an argument with her. Yet, the school continues to claim knowledge for only one WEEK.

jmo
Good catch! :clap:

I sincerely doubt their lawyers would advise them to talk to LE or to admit anything of the sort.
No doubt. That doesn't mean they didn't admit it before they got lawyered-up, though.

There were several weeks of LE and school investigation before charges were pressed, and I think that conversation would likely have been right at the first, before they thought they'd need a lawyer.

They also might have admitted it to school authorities.

IF these teenagers were admitting to any such conduct (which is a big IF) then it would appear they have no comprehension of what the laws are.
Personally I agree with this columnist's opinion.
'The statutory rape charges are especially troubling, assuming the sex was consensual. Teenage boys engage in this conduct with teenage girls every day without being prosecuted. That activity, however unwise, does not suddenly acquire criminal overtones because the girl involved killed herself."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy.../04/06/AR2010040601901.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

On this girls myspace page she also has a tribute to Phoebe. I personally have not seen the evidence that she called Phoebe names, but there have been several references to the fact that she did which began to make me feel like Phoebe really had a very very small amount of friends, especially considering of the ones I've seen nobody mentions her until after she died.
The blog post has copy and paste from her foamspring. She pretty much admits it...so, if the foamspring is authentic, and it's from sauerkraut, so I have no reason to doubt it, it seems black and white to me.

No doubt. That doesn't mean they didn't admit it before they got lawyered-up, though.

There were several weeks of LE and school investigation before charges were pressed, and I think that conversation would likely have been right at the first, before they thought they'd need a lawyer.

They also might have admitted it to school authorities.

I've been thinking that they did admit it when the police first talked to them. I don't know if the DA would risk a charge like this on just online posts or texting as evidence.

It's also possible they admitted to sex with other girls as well. If the detailed documents for the second three are released I imagine we'll know how the charges came about.

The blog post has copy and paste from her foamspring. She pretty much admits it...so, if the foamspring is authentic, and it's from sauerkraut, so I have no reason to doubt it, it seems black and white to me.

yeah I had seen it there too - meant to add that but forgot :) Mean to say I personally didn't see it firsthand on the girls pages myself. Apparently she also had a myspace entry, not sure if there is a copy and paste of that or just quotes.

Interesting point over on MassLive forum about Phoebe's lawyers going after the records of the bullies in return...

http://www.masslive.com/forums/southhadley/index.ssf?artid=74087

The poster concerned_father2 points out that they might pull additional stat rape items for Sean/Austin from these.

Maybe there are lawyers here who can enlighten me. What exactly does defense lawyer's request for information have to do with prosecution potentially asking for information? It's not like prosecution has to wait for defense to ask for something in order to do an investigation.

Phoebe lived here.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...code_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CAcQ8gEwAA

The rented the top floor. The school is 3-4 blocks to the south, and the road is pretty busy (I saw a news broadcast in front of the school and it was heavy traffic).

From the documents released Phoebe was walking home on the right side of the road (same as the school as you look at the map) when the can was thrown at her.

Do we know if Phoebe and Sharon live close? Because the address I have for her puts them at living 3 miles apart.

The address is an apartment complex it looks like

IF these teenagers were admitting to any such conduct (which is a big IF) then it would appear they have no comprehension of what the laws are.
Personally I agree with this columnist's opinion.
'The statutory rape charges are especially troubling, assuming the sex was consensual. Teenage boys engage in this conduct with teenage girls every day without being prosecuted. That activity, however unwise, does not suddenly acquire criminal overtones because the girl involved killed herself."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy.../04/06/AR2010040601901.html?hpid=opinionsbox1
The boys around here sure know what qualifies as "jail bait" is; it's a common phrase. I believe these boys knew the laws too, but they just expected to be given a pass.

After all, these kids admitted a lot of things to a lot of people, starting with publicly bragging on their tormenting of the poor dead girl.

That sounds more like hubris than naivete, to me. :no:

If MA starts going around charging kids for statutory rape based only on age, I'll be there with you, carrying the banner against them.

In this case, I do see an abuse, so I'm not going to protest. This is the sort of abuse of power statutory rape laws are meant to restrain.

I would think abuse of power should apply to an adult in position of power such as teacher, counselor, etc, not to another minor even if that minor is described as a "flirt."

Maybe there are lawyers here who can enlighten me. What exactly does defense lawyer's request for information have to do with prosecution potentially asking for information? It's not like prosecution has to wait for defense to ask for something in order to do an investigation.

There are always certain things that the prosecution can not bring into a trial, UNLESS the defense opens a legal gateway for them to do so by presenting certain information during their portion of trial testimony.

There are always certain things that the prosecution can not bring into a trial, UNLESS the defense opens a legal gateway for them to do so by presenting certain information during their portion of trial testimony.

There are nowhere near trial yet.

There are nowhere near trial yet.

That is obvious, and there may NEVER be a trial. However, if the defense is requesting the records at this point, the prosecution also must move to prepare themselves ahead of time. They can not wait and run out and try to do that AFTER the trial begins. In the long run, there is probably a high percentage chance that several, if not all, of these kids will make plea bargains after numerous trial date delays.

JMO

That is obvious, and there may NEVER be a trial. However, if the defense is requesting the records at this point, the prosecution also must move to prepare themselves ahead of time. They can not wait and run out and try to do that AFTER the trial begins. In the long run, there is probably a high percentage chance that several, if not all, of these kids will make plea bargains after numerous trial date delays.

JMO

One would think prosecution would preparing ahead of time regardless of whether defense requests information or not.
Also, I presume that just because defense requests information does not mean they will get it. The judge will rule whether it's relevant or not. I would think that if the judge rules it's not relevant then defense will not get it.

I would think abuse of power should apply to an adult in position of power such as teacher, counselor, etc, not to another minor even if that minor is described as a "flirt."

I posted the reasons in #175. It was a lot more than just the "flirt" ID.

Bottom line: We can agree to disagree on this one, and please do PM me if there's another case, because we might well agree on it. :) I'm usually not supportive of the DAs on these charges.

I also think sex offender registry laws are messed up, and they should draw a clear distinction between types of offense, in all cases. In this case, I expect that will be the worst these boys have to deal with, unless/until the law is fixed, as it should be.

Other than that, the law says "up to" life in prison wop, but it doesn't require it. I'm going to wait and see what penalty they are given before I protest in their defense. Until then, I'm just happy they weren't given a complete pass.

One would think prosecution would preparing ahead of time regardless of whether defense requests information or not.
Also, just because defense requests information does not mean they will get it. The judge will rule whether it's relevant or not. If the judge rules it's not relevant then defense will not get it.

They are and have been preparing the prosecution...the point of the article being referenced was the fact that the defense request would open the door for some alternative approaches. I am quite familiar, as are many here, with defense requests, the fact that judges rule on motions etc. That is not even remotely close to what the issue is here, those types of requests are made and receive judicial decisions in every case. The issue, once again, is the indication that the defense is heading toward a 'blaming the victim' defense posture.

Everyone's opinion has value here, no matter whether their inclination is to excuse the behavior as "kids will be kids", or whether they feel outraged by the actions toward Phoebe. Those of us with a background in legal areas will see things differently than those who have been the victims of bullies, and those people will see things from a different view than someone who more closely identifies with those who are accused. That is what makes this forum interesting.

jmoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member