Mourning Jewelry

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Kids,

I am going to offer up something called, "Mourning Jewelry."

In the 1800's and early 1900's when a loved one died they would take a swatch of hair and put it in jewelry. Now, this may sound macabre but it is actually quite moving when you see the jewelry itself.

This is a beautiful but sad 15K Gold Mourning Pin dated "1839". Ornate scroll work surrounds the tiny compartment holding tightly woven hair, while "In Memory Of" in olde English script is written outside of that. The outer edge of the pin is again done in very ornate gold. On the reverse is engraved :

"Marion Paul died

Mary Purdie died

15th Jul 1839
presented by Jas purdie to their mother"

Both children are lost the same day and their father, James is giving this token with their hair to their mother.

The Brooch is 1 1/4" wide and 1" tall.

The pictures I am going to put up make the brooch look HUGE but it is actually very tiny. The condition is amazingly excellent.

The cost is $500.00 (five hundred) which is exactly what I paid for it.

I want to stress DO NOT buy this unless you can afford it. It is an incredible piece but quite expensive.

Please PM me or email me with any questions at tgrif@xmission.com

Ok...here come da pictures.

Attachments

• mourning1.jpg
    mourning1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 534
Here is the back.

If you have trouble viewing it email me at tgrif@xmission.com and I'll send you the pictures.

Attachments

• mourning3.jpg
    mourning3.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 500
I wonder when this tradition lost interest. I would love something like that for any loved one of mine that has passed away.

I have seen those in the past and I always thought of them as a nice memorial. That one is particularly beautiful.

I am in the process of making a DNA tree for my family history...which in a way is akin to this. Will it freak some people out? Sure! Later down the line perhaps tho...this small offering can help my children's grands to sort out possible gene traits to enrich their lives or to explain more about their true heritage.

I have seen those in the past and I always thought of them as a nice memorial. That one is particularly beautiful.

I am in the process of making a DNA tree for my family history...which in a way is akin to this. Will it freak some people out? Sure! Later down the line perhaps tho...this small offering can help my children's grands to sort out possible gene traits to enrich their lives or to explain more about their true heritage.

I think this is a GREAT idea. In fact, you are ahead of the times. This is going to catch on. I don't think it's creepy at all.

I really love this piece. It is so beautiful. The pictures don't do it justice. I just don't have anywhere to put it. It is sitting in a drawer now. That's why it's up for sale here.

Thanks, Tricia. It was an idea I had while they were doing testing on my grandaughter to find a cause for her tiny size at birth. The end result was Russell Silver's Syndrome which is a form of Dwarfism. Without a way to figure out where it came from in either of our families, it made me think about our future generations. I feel DNA will be the answer to many questions down the line.

This is SO AWESOME!

I would love something like this! I have a lock of Ethan's hair.... not sure what to do with it just yet..... I'm sure in time I will know.....

We did get "locket" type necklaces from the cremitormim (sp?) I have a sea turtle and it has Ethan's ashes in it...... I will never take it off! He is always with me......

Thank you Tricia...... this is truley beautiful.......

This is SO AWESOME!

I would love something like this! I have a lock of Ethan's hair.... not sure what to do with it just yet..... I'm sure in time I will know.....

We did get "locket" type necklaces from the cremitormim (sp?) I have a sea turtle and it has Ethan's ashes in it...... I will never take it off! He is always with me......

Thank you Tricia...... this is truley beautiful.......

Seahorseladydi,
I really thought the mourning jewelry was kind of icky..
But reading your post and thinking of Ethan changed my mind. (not an easy thing to do!!)
My thoughts are still with you..
:blowkiss:

Seahorseladydi,
I really thought the mourning jewelry was kind of icky..
But reading your post and thinking of Ethan changed my mind. (not an easy thing to do!!)
My thoughts are still with you..
:blowkiss:

Amraann, I was like you. I thought this type of stuff was just morbid. But after researching it I have come to understand that we don't view death like we use to in this country.

Back in the late 1800's and early 1900's people use to keep their loved ones body in their home. In the "Parlor" if you will for viewing. And if they could afford it, they would have their deceased loved one's picture taken, usually with other family members in the photo, as a keepsake. There are some great sites on the Internet that let you view these pictures.

I have come to feel that the way we use to deal with death seems more healthy than what we do today.

As Seahorseladydi said, when you keep something from your beloved family member it's like they are with you.

Dear Seahorseladydi I am with Amraann. My thoughts are with you.

Tricia

Amraann, I was like you. I thought this type of stuff was just morbid. But after researching it I have come to understand that we don't view death like we use to in this country.

Back in the late 1800's and early 1900's people use to keep their loved ones body in their home. In the "Parlor" if you will for viewing. And if they could afford it, they would have their deceased loved one's picture taken, usually with other family members in the photo, as a keepsake. There are some great sites on the Internet that let you view these pictures.

I have come to feel that the way we use to deal with death seems more healthy than what we do today.

As Seahorseladydi said, when you keep something from your beloved family member it's like they are with you.

Dear Seahorseladydi I am with Amraann. My thoughts are with you.

Tricia

Thank you Tricia ...
I am sorry if I said anything that was negative..
:)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back