Gecko may solve salmonella puzzle

dingo

Former Member
Reaction score
A tiny gecko trapped inside a chicken egg may hold the key to solving how the potentially deadly salmonella bacteria causes food poisoning..

Dr Beaumont was making Thai fishcakes using eggs bought from a Darwin supermarket when he discovered the dead lizard inside an egg shell.

It has to be that the gecko climbed up inside the chook and died up there while the egg was being formed before the shell was put on it.":confused::eek::confused:.

Dr Beaumont said the lizard may have crawled into the chicken to feed on an embryo and then the egg formed around it.

I dont know what to say:confused:.Ive never thought about lizards climbing into chooks bums before..am I the only one who has never considered this possibility:confused::)

Another Chookie story for you Filly:blowkiss:.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=563877

A tiny gecko trapped inside a chicken egg may hold the key to solving how the potentially deadly salmonella bacteria causes food poisoning..

And could save you $200 on your car insurance...

Xcom, you never fail to crack me up.

All I can say is that poor mother hen! Eww and OUCH!

And could save you $200 on your car insurance...

I should have known! I should have known! I saw your name in a post on this thread, and I should have blocked my laptop from the water I just sipped:D.

Seriously, this is facinating on two levels. Did a gecko actually do this:eek:? If so, is this typical? And, I can see how if this actually happened that it may help to explain how a seemingly bacteriological impenetrable barrier could be infected with Salmonella.

Im a bit thick and this has gone over my head:)

Dingo, in the states we have had for several years Geico automoblie Insurance tele commercials that feature a cool gecko with an aussie accent. Some of them are adorable, and some of them are funny. In some of them the statement that Geico can save you hundreds of dollars on insurance is mentioned.

See a gecko, hear about a gecko, and we may think of Geico auto insurance:).

Dingo, in the states we have had for several years Geiko automoblie Insurance tele commercials that feature a cool gecko with an aussie accent. Some of them are adorable, and some of them are funny. In some of them the statement that Geiko can save you hundreds of dollars on insurance is mentioned.

See a gecko, hear about a gecko, and we may think of Geiko auto insurance:).
Thanks for splaining that to me Kimba :blowkiss:... the gecko has an English accent:)

Thanks for splaining that to me Kimba :blowkiss:... the gecko has an English accent:)

Well paint me purple! I'm sorry dingo-doggy:).

Me being a fanatic science bug I am still interested in knowing more about the poor gecko in the chicken egg incident. Poor chicken, too. That is one bizarre story:eek:.

It must have climbed in while the chook was asleep.....:waitasec:

What about the chickens that have salmonella that aren't living in Gecko rich climates?

Meow, I was thinking that there may be a theory that if the Chicken already has salmonella that it may be getting into the egg prior to the hardening of the egg via shell production. It was theorized that we were breeding chickens with porous shells, and that the bacteria were getting in there after the eggs were laid. This may also be true. I don't know all of the facts, though. But, both seem like plausible possibilities to me.

Meow, I was thinking that there may be a theory that if the Chicken already has salmonella that it may be getting into the egg prior to the hardening of the egg via shell production. It was theorized that we were breeding chickens with porous shells, and that the bacteria were getting in there after the eggs were laid. This may also be true. I don't know all of the facts, though. But, both seem like plausible possibilities to me.
Your putting a lot of thought into this mate:)

Your putting a lot of thought into this mate:)

((((dingo))))

I already had before I read this thread--lol! I am a science/medicine fanatic and studied for pre-vet in college. I would sit in my room and read Compton's Encyclopedia when I was 10 on rainy Saturdays.

I was also a tomboy in that I would climb trees and make tree forts, used to catch frogs in a pond, and loved to race my friends.

On the other hand I love to dress up and go dancing. I may be a rough and tumble, feminine nerd:D.

((((dingo))))

I already had before I read this thread--lol! I am a science/medicine fanatic and studied for pre-vet in college. I would sit in my room and read Compton's Encyclopedia when I was 10 on rainy Saturdays.

I was also a tomboy in that I would climb trees and make tree forts, used to catch frogs in a pond, and loved to race my friends.

On the other hand I love to dress up and go dancing. I may be a rough and tumble, feminine nerd:D.
That describes me aswell:)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back