Sidebar Discussion #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not say the county, I said the Orlando economy had millions pumped into it. And it's standard procedure for the state to try and recoup expenses.

I have posted links in the past to several articles about how good the trial was for the Orlando economy. Search through them if you want to read them.

Here's one for you:

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...0/how-the-casey-anthony-trial-could-pump.html

How the Casey Anthony trial could pump millions into local economy

and another:

http://www.***********.net/126391

Casey Anthony – Is She Bigger Than Micky Mouse?

How about a third?

http://www.cashprior.com/blog/2011/05/capitalizing-on-the-casey-anthony-trial/

Capitalizing On The Casey Anthony Trial

In the first link the key word is could

The second link doesn't work and I wouldn't compare someone that kills children to "Mickey Mouse" who has made children smile for the last 60 years. That's truly wrong

The trial started in Orlando on May 24, 2011..
2 of the articles linked above were published BEFORE the trial started, one on May 19th and the other on the 20th,
The middle article linked above does not work, it may be from a site not authorized or allowed to be posted on WS.

What I remember hearing on the local news was that downtown Orlando hotels saw an increase in bookings but that the predicted short term economic growth did not pan out.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...21_1_casey-anthony-murder-trial-quick-lunches

Casey Anthony trial hasn't brought booming business for restaurants

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...pancy-revenue-per-available-room-hotel-market

Casey helped fill downtown hotel rooms

Agreed. He really didn't, for the most part, know what he was doing - although some of his motions were pretty good. But his line of questioning, phrasing of questions, arguments during motions, ridiculous opening argument, all of that was horrible.

I don't think he was folksy either. He came across as very oily, very phony and extremely dirty. Yet, 12 people loved him. He resorted to parlor tricks in lieu of actual lawyering and it worked. Shockingly, it worked.

And the fact that it did points to some real problems with our system. Finding 12 people plus alternates, ALL of whom fell for his scummy parlor tricks, and simpering demeanor, was not a fluke. It shows that the pool of those willing and/or able to sit on juries is often not the best. We need to do better.

The government needs to make sure employers are more supportive of their employees serving on juries so that people can't claim they will lose their job or income in order to serve. It should be the law that you get your salary and job security just as usual when you serve on a jury.

Thank you for the links, but I will never be on board with the way Casey, through her lies, blatantly, arrogantly, and willfully wasted the precious time and resources of Law Enforcement, TES, The Orange County Courts, judges, attorneys, her family, and her community itself. She lied for three years straight through both sides of her mouth and there were consequences, monetarily and otherwise for many people because of it. I will not downplay it or deny it even if revenue was made during her trial.

She got away with murder and now people are expected to also excuse her for this?

Trust me, revenue was not made during the trial for the Orange County local government.

A quick and dirty

I was able to get two of the three links to open. Both are regarding businesses earning money based on the trial. That's a given. I don't see how these links can be used to argue against your point that the trial was a drain on the Florida taxpayers. That's a given too.

Any event, large or small generates income for business owners and business owners pay sales taxes. In Orange County Florida, I believe it is 6.5% local, 6% State. Since one article said multi-million, let's use $5,000,000.

Assuming this dollar amount is for 100% taxable goods and services, the taxes received for Orange County from this trial would be $325,000. But wait a minute, local sales taxes are shared among the government and its component units. So how much did they get? We could easily see by reviewing their financial statements (which we won't do will we).

On the expense side, how much did the trial cost? I haven't seen the amount published but it's been estimated in the 4 to 5 million dollar range.

So, did the trial suck the taxpayers dry just like you said? I vote yes.

IMG_1272.jpg

beer-collection.jpeg

images

Anyone know how much it cost the county just to house, feed, protect, transport, and entertain the 16 "jurors" for months?

Ok posting that - what is it? - deep dish pizza?? That's just evil!! Looks soooo goood!

of course darlin!

Sometimes, on very special occasions, I ship them to my poor, bereft sisters who live so very far away from anything remotely resembling pizza.

Ok posting that - what is it? - deep dish pizza?? That's just evil!! Looks soooo goood!

LOL
I'm Italian and at first I didn't know what it was..then I thought, ah, Chicago deep dish....I prefer the mother country pizza, thin crust :blushing:

Thanks for the spread bigfatmommydog, I am sure that deep dish pizza tastes GREAT!!!

The government needs to make sure employers are more supportive of their employees serving on juries so that people can't claim they will lose their job or income in order to serve. It should be the law that you get your salary and job security just as usual when you serve on a jury.

In California you can't lose your job for serving on a jury. Your employer is not required by law to pay you while you serve. On the surface it would seem to be a good idea to require all employers pay wages to employees who serve,however it would be a great burden financially to a lot of small business's. Some small business's that are struggling could fail if forced to pay an employee full wages and hire a part time replacement for a long trial. JMO.

In California you can't lose your job for serving on a jury. Your employer is not requited by law to pay you while you serve. On the surface it would seem to be a good idea to require all employers pay wages to employees who serve, it would be a great burden financially to a lot of small business's. Some small business's that are struggling could fail if forced to pay an employee full wages and hire a part time replacement for a long trial. JMO.

In that case, the state government should supplement it for the employer if the employer can prove need.

In that case, the state government should supplement it for the employer if the employer can prove need.

You mean raise taxes in order to pay for this. Not in California I hope. This state is broke and raising taxes will drive even more business out of state which will cause further drops in tax revenue. No thanks.

LOL
I'm Italian and at first I didn't know what it was..then I thought, ah, Chicago deep dish....I prefer the mother country pizza, thin crust :blushing:

Thanks for the spread bigfatmommydog, I am sure that deep dish pizza tastes GREAT!!!

Now, now, now - nobody is claiming that deep dish is Italian... We loves our "thin" crust too - in Chicagowordl, it's all a matter of neighborhood preference.

Oh no you dont. You HAVE to tell now. PM me if you must, but tell you will!!

LOL Ate half a jar of relish. Just sitting with a spoon. I hate relish. Spun in circles outside in my driveway. In the rain. Barking like a dog. Seemed to have Tourettes. Would say a word 100 times and start banging my head. Feel free to laugh. We do now. I can state for a fact i have always been a stable person and never have i been Baker Acted :floorlaugh: So now ya all think I'm nuts :crazy: I'm sure i did other things but likely blocked out what they told me :blushing:

LOL

I have the dough recipe from the person who started the Chicago deep dish fad. One of the reasons it tastes so good is that corn meal is mixed in. Gives it real flavor. These kinds of discussions are why I cannot read here during the dinner hour. I could short my keyboard with all the salivating.

Yes, Bravo! You have to - after all - I heard TotallyObsessed was driving around in the car - nekkid while taking Chantix - so you might as well 'fess up. I mean - can it be worse than that??:great:

Oh my :giggle:

I had the craziest dream last night... and I mean crazy!! A lot of you were in this dream as Webslueths was not just an online forum... I had actually stepped into Webslueths as it was now a real office. Tons of files, computers, evidence, books, papers, etc... I would say it resembled a law office and a nightclub in one as we had a bar (I can only assume it was the sidebar?) just outside the office where we would all meet up. I don't know if I should go any further with this dream, as we had found Casey Anthony herself hiding in the closet underneath AZLawyer's fur coat? She was spying on us.

omg...how FUN would this be?! I wanna work there! :great:

I have the dough recipe from the person who started the Chicago deep dish fad. One of the reasons it tastes so good is that corn meal is mixed in. Gives it real flavor. These kinds of discussions are why I cannot read here during the dinner hour. I could short my keyboard with all the salivating.

recipe NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members