VA VA - Nelson Co, unidentified Hurricane Camille victims, Aug’69

Kat

Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
I could not find a thread for this, please merge if there is one. TIA.

Camille hit Lynchburg VA on August 19, 1969.

http://www2.newsvirginian.com/wnv/n..._of_8_camille_victims_never_identified/44067/

Published: August 16, 2009

Bodies of 8 Camille victims never identified

LYNCHBURG — Four decades have done little to clear up the identities of eight bodies found in and near Nelson County in the aftermath of the destruction caused by the remnants of Hurricane Camille.

Their remains, still unidentified and still unclaimed, rest in a cemetery in southern Richmond...

...Other than the fact that four of the eight shared similar features and the same stomach content, though, little is known about them...

...Published descriptions of the bodies kept in the state file of the four who shared the same meal show:

* A boy, about 17 years old, with high cheek bones and long blond or brown hair and a neatly trimmed blond moustache. He was found Aug. 24 below Schuyler in the Rockfish River.

* A girl, about 10 years old, with long blond or brown wavy hair weighing about 70 pounds and standing about 4 feet, 7 inches tall. She was found in the Rockfish River, about two miles above Howardsville on Aug. 31.

* A girl, about 6 years old, with hair similar to the 10-year-old’s, weighing about 60 pounds and standing about 3 feet, 10 inches tall. She was found in the James River, about seven or eight miles above Bremo Bluff on Aug. 31.

* A boy, about 12 to 14 years old, with long dark-brown hair, weighing between 125 and 135 pounds and standing between 5 feet, 2 inches and 5 feet, 4 inches tall. He was found half a mile below the railroad bridge on the Rockfish River in late August...

...The other four victims are described as:

* A woman, about 35 to 40 years old, well groomed with light-blond hair, weighing between 140 and 145 pounds and standing about 5 feet, 5 inches tall. She was found at Woods Mill.

* A woman, about 70 years old, with long white hair, weighing between 140 and 150 pounds and standing about 5 feet, 2 inches tall. She was found at Buford Island, which sits in the James River between Wingina and Howardsville.

* A man in his 50s, with balding black hair, the worn teeth of a tobacco chewer, rough hands and a muscular, stocky build. His height was estimated at 5 feet, 11 inches. He was found in the Rockfish River near Howardsville.

* A woman in her late 40s or early 50s, with brown wavy hair, weighing between 160 and 180 pounds. She had had a hysterectomy. She was found in the Rockfish River below Woods Mill on Sept. 1...

This is terribly sad. I know nothing about the areas in which each body was found, but I wonder if they could have been related (or at least some of the 8)?

It could perhaps explain why they haven't been identified - the whole family, perhaps on a day out or something, and so there is no one left to tell authorities that they didn't make it back? Especially where the children are concerned, I can't imagine that would go unnoticed...

Maybe it's time for some DNA testing to be done?

It looks like Camille hit several places...these Uids are focused on VA right?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

This article mentions 2 families that were swept away by the hurricane...Huffman and Raines.
http://www.readthehook.com/83659/co...er-40-years-nelson-countys-wounds-still-fresh

The article also mentions the following:

One thing the dead had in common: the force of waters stripped off clothes and even wedding rings, making identification all the harder. On most of the dead, "We didn't do autopsies," says Raynor. "The only reason for doing autopsies was to establish identification on 30-some bodies."

On eight of those, the efforts were unsuccessful—particularly strange for a county as close-knit as Nelson. The doctors concluded those folks weren't local residents. Raynor believes some of the unidentified were migrant workers between jobs. Because beans were found in some of the stomachs, Raynor concludes, "Four of the eight ate supper together."

It looks like Camille hit several places...these Uids are focused on VA right?

Yes, these all focus on VA. While I haven't done much digging yet, I'm sure there are others from the East coast.

This article mentions 2 families that were swept away by the hurricane...Huffman and Raines.
http://www.readthehook.com/83659/co...er-40-years-nelson-countys-wounds-still-fresh

I'll have to look and see if there are missing persons reports for those families. I'm also curious to know how far they may have been swept and/or if they may have been discovered much later.

I remember this well. The remnants of Hurricane Camille stalled over a very mountainous region in central Virginia on Aug. 19-20, 1969. The area received 27" of rain in a 3 hour period.

Here's the link to a cover story featured in The Hook, a weekly publication out of Charlottesville, VA. It was the 40th anniversary of this disaster that took 125 lives from Nelson County, VA alone.

http://www.readthehook.com/83659/cover-cataclysmic-camille-after-40-years-nelson-countys-wounds-still-fresh

I read that it is possible that the remnant of Camille dumped up to 46 inches of rain in 8 hours! Camille was actually more deadly as it weakened into a remnant low. The highest confirmed is 32 inches. It happened due to Camille colliding with a front over mountainous terrain. Mountainous terrain leads to heavy rain. It explains why Mitch dumped extremely heavy rain over Central America or why Mt. Waialeale is very wet, especially on the windward side.

The heavy rain fell at night as most of the heavy rain was confined to Nelson County. That type of event is called "core rain" as the heavy rain is near the center of a warm core low pressure system. It happens because as night happens, the surrounding air is cooler, while the low pressure is warmer. The area of lift is more concentrated near the low at night. In the day time, the area of lift is spread out.

Examples of core rain events are Allison (2001), Claudette (1979), Gaston (2004), and Thrall 1921 Flood.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/tropical/rain/camille1969.html

This is terribly sad. I know nothing about the areas in which each body was found, but I wonder if they could have been related (or at least some of the 8)?

That was my first thought as well. I remember there was a theory that some of the Great Hartford Circus Fire victims were never identified because they were a complete family that was wiped out.

That was my first thought as well. I remember there was a theory that some of the Great Hartford Circus Fire victims were never identified because they were a complete family that was wiped out.

In one of the posted articles it states that 4 of the victims had Hispanic features, even though Namus identifies all eight as being White. The possible Hispanic family of four was thought to be migrant workers traveling between jobs.

Unfortunately it seems that all eight were cremated (w/ ashes being spread locally) and therefore DNA retrieval is impossible.

I'm very interested in looking into this. Were the two little girls the Hispanic ones? They did not sound Hispanic.I'm trying to see if I can try to Identify the two little girls and these other people. Were they cremated or buried? Is there a grave site for them?

Were there sketches or pictures of any of them made?

The first 4 listed that had the same meal the night before does look like they are from the same family.

LYNCHBURG — Four decades have done little to clear up the identities of eight bodies found in and near Nelson County in the aftermath of the destruction caused by the remnants of Hurricane Camille.

Their remains, still unidentified and still unclaimed, rest in a cemetery in southern Richmond...

...Other than the fact that four of the eight shared similar features and the same stomach content, though, little is known about them...

...Published descriptions of the bodies kept in the state file of the four who shared the same meal show:

* A boy, about 17 years old, with high cheek bones and long blond or brown hair and a neatly trimmed blond moustache. He was found Aug. 24 below Schuyler in the Rockfish River.

* A girl, about 10 years old, with long blond or brown wavy hair weighing about 70 pounds and standing about 4 feet, 7 inches tall. She was found in the Rockfish River, about two miles above Howardsville on Aug. 31.

* A girl, about 6 years old, with hair similar to the 10-year-old’s, weighing about 60 pounds and standing about 3 feet, 10 inches tall. She was found in the James River, about seven or eight miles above Bremo Bluff on Aug. 31.

* A boy, about 12 to 14 years old, with long dark-brown hair, weighing between 125 and 135 pounds and standing between 5 feet, 2 inches and 5 feet, 4 inches tall. He was found half a mile below the railroad bridge on the Rockfish River in late August...

Where does it say they had Hispanic features? High cheek bones? That's American Indian too.

Does someone know or can find a list of the names who did die and also a list who was never found?

WOW Thank You so much. I'm just wondering if any of the 8 Unidentified people might be related to or known to any of the dead or missing persons.

Here's a list of victims from Nelson County:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=vcsr&GSvcid=253161

And another list of victims, missing and dead: http://camille.passchristian.net/memorial____gulf_coast.htm
In that list there are four people with the same last name. Apparently two of them are males and two are females, just like the four kids suspected to be from the same family.

The missing people's names are:
Erwin, Harrison Oelke
Evelyn Jeanette Oelke
Ramey Oelke
Rebecca Oelke

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics