Southwest States - AZ, CA, CO, NM, OK, TX, AR, LA, UT, NV - Weather Discussion

CRESCENT CITY, Calif. The small tsunami surge from a Japanese earthquake has reached California, damaging docks and boats in the Crescent City Harbor near the Oregon state line.

Paul McAndrews, harbor facilities manager, says the harbor was hit with a series of surges that would cycle about every 15 minutes, changing the water level about five feet each time.

The National Weather Service estimates the surges reached speeds of 30 miles an hour. McAndrews says the repeated battering pulled apart at least two docks and set boats adrift, which banged into each other. He estimated that two dozen or more boats were damaged, but none were sunk and no one was hurt.

http://www.wric.com/Global/story.asp?S=5689198&nav=menu28_2

Goes to show we are vulnerable in the U.S. to larger ones, too.

I live in Fredericksburg where someone went around a barracaide and as far as I know still hasnt been found. Everyone in this area knows that that particular low water crossing is VERY low and is closed every time we have heavy rains.

The sad part in all of this is that there was another road that Im sure he knew about, and if he would have backed up and gone down that road, he would not have hit a low water crossing.

From what I have found out from friends, we were expecting rain but no one expected 8 inches from around 6 pm to 2 am. I have lived here since 1979 and this is the most water that I have seen flowing in the creeks and rivers. Creeks that normally are semi-dry/barely flowing were up about 25 feet. Its almost like---where did this water come from??

The people here know that when the creeks have risen, you should try to stay at home because even though you were able to get out of the house and make it to town, you may not be able to get back to your house later in the day.

My thoughts and prayers are with the familys that have lost loved ones, and I pray that no one else is killed or hurt and that the storms subside.

I live in Fredericksburg where someone went around a barricade and as far as I know still hasn't been found. Everyone in this area knows that that particular low water crossing is VERY low and is closed every time we have heavy rains.

The sad part in all of this is that there was another road that Im sure he knew about, and if he would have backed up and gone down that road, he would not have hit a low water crossing.

From what I have found out from friends, we were expecting rain but no one expected 8 inches from around 6 pm to 2 am. I have lived here since 1979 and this is the most water that I have seen flowing in the creeks and rivers. Creeks that normally are semi-dry/barely flowing were up about 25 feet. Its almost like---where did this water come from??

The people here know that when the creeks have risen, you should try to stay at home because even though you were able to get out of the house and make it to town, you may not be able to get back to your house later in the day.

More people lose their lives because of the raging water than the actual storms themselves.

LE constantly tell the citizens do not go across any running water. It can be swift and much deeper than we expect and the road underneath it can be washed away.

My heart goes out to these families.

imoo

BF and I just got back from a 1 hr motorcycle ride - took it out to go see some of the rural roads, etc. We're a little north of Killeen. He's a firefighter and was on duty yesterday - they had several high water calls yesterday morning.

We have 2 main roads to get to "town;" - one is closed due to flooding. I should have taken a camera. The road/bridge/corresponding fields and pastures are just one big lake. Unreal. Found several other roads closed - and many people were down surveying the scenes. ;)

What's so weird is that less than 2 months ago it was looking like 2007 was going to be another drought year here. Last year was just so sad, the farmers and those with livestock have been struggling to find hay, etc. There's a pasture just a mile away from here that has a pond/tank for their livestock. Last fall it was completely dried up (first time I've ever seen it dry) - so much so that they came in and bulldozed it, worked on the surface, etc. Well, it's flooded the banks now...

As posters were mentioning those who drive in unsafe areas, one of our local
TV stations has now coined a new saying when they're doing the weather: "Turn around, don't drown." At first I thought it was kinda cheesy - but honestly, if it helps anyone!!! think more about what they're doing in these types of situations, then good for them.

I grew up in Killeen! Thankfully (as far as I know) no one I know fits these descriptions.
Sadie Mae can you tell us how it's going there?!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070526/ap_on_re_us/plains_storms

Yes, hope Sadie Mae checks in!

Killeen/Belton/Bell and Coryell Counties have really received the brunt of the worst. More rain in store for the next few days, but I think the chances of rain are tapering off after today. At the moment (!) it's better and the sun is popping out right now - becoming nice and humid.

Guess San Saba and that area have also received a tremendous amount. And it looked like areas between Bryan and Houston were getting slammed this afternoon.

Hope everyone is paying attention to their local surroundings.

The flash flooding freaked me out so much when we lived in Austin for two years. I knew where all the flood spots in Houston were from growing up there--but Austin, I didn't know all the low spots, and I was a nervous wreck when it rained.

The "Turn around, don't drown" was coined by the National Weather Service or one of those government agencies, to stop people from driving through flood barricades.

As little as 6 inches of moving water will lift a car and move it.

We have a couple of low spots that will flood in our neighborhood, but I make a big deal of turning around and talking about it so my kids will know that we never, never drive through water, even if we think we know we can make it.
I want them to regard that as one of the 11 Commandments!

And even a little bit of water will cause damage--Mr. Texana drove through some higher water last summer, got stuck in traffic at a low spot, and while his car made it through, it warped the rotors on his brakes to the tune of a new brake job.

I'm sad for the lives that were lost--

The flash flooding freaked me out so much when we lived in Austin for two years. I knew where all the flood spots in Houston were from growing up there--but Austin, I didn't know all the low spots, and I was a nervous wreck when it rained.

The "Turn around, don't drown" was coined by the National Weather Service or one of those government agencies, to stop people from driving through flood barricades.

As little as 6 inches of moving water will lift a car and move it.

We have a couple of low spots that will flood in our neighborhood, but I make a big deal of turning around and talking about it so my kids will know that we never, never drive through water, even if we think we know we can make it.
I want them to regard that as one of the 11 Commandments!

And even a little bit of water will cause damage--Mr. Texana drove through some higher water last summer, got stuck in traffic at a low spot, and while his car made it through, it warped the rotors on his brakes to the tune of a new brake job.

I'm sad for the lives that were lost--

Oh, okay...I didn't know that's where it came from. So far, I've only heard it on our ABC station. Thanks.

About 40 miles outside of Dallas, we've had pretty much rain for days and days. We've had to open the spout on the pool twice. Very good for my lawn though!!

Please send some my way. We need rain! My grass is already dying. I don't water it, because I wouldn't be able to afford my water bill! :blowkiss: Jeana!

I live in Fredericksburg where someone went around a barracaide and as far as I know still hasnt been found. Everyone in this area knows that that particular low water crossing is VERY low and is closed every time we have heavy rains.

I was just in Fredericksburg a couple of days ago - the waters were rushing unbelievably high and rough - we saw them from the major highway. We still climbed Enchanted Rock and all; I think we came in after the rains had hit; but we were plenty careful. Y'all and san Antonio were hit the worst I think.

Yes, hope Sadie Mae checks in!

Killeen/Belton/Bell and Coryell Counties have really received the brunt of the worst. More rain in store for the next few days, but I think the chances of rain are tapering off after today. At the moment (!) it's better and the sun is popping out right now - becoming nice and humid.

Guess San Saba and that area have also received a tremendous amount. And it looked like areas between Bryan and Houston were getting slammed this afternoon.

Hope everyone is paying attention to their local surroundings.

I have family in Bryan and they have had nonstop rain for days! In Austin we got a break! My backyard is a huge mud pit though for the dogs....so nice...grrrrr.

I talked to a friend of mine last night in Killeen she said more rain is coming! She was telling me about a lady who was driving with her 4 kids and the water was too deep she managed to get out and save two of her kids but the other two didnt make it. This happened one street over from her house. She said also they are looking for a man who was helping his neighbor park their car when the water took the car away with the man inside. The car has been found but the man is still missing. I lived in Killeen for 7 years I don't remember it ever being so bad ..Man I really pray for everyone in Texas right now it seems they really need it.

A lady who lives about 4 miles from me drowned on Sunday - on her way to church, going through an area that had been blocked off. I just don't get why someone risks their life like this.

So, now 6 confirmed deaths....

P.S. Saw on the news that Milam County is basically saying if one drives through a blocked-off area (and actually survive, as our newscaster pointed out) and get caught, it's a Class B misdemeanor. Depending on the circumstances (they didn't give all the details), might not be a bad idea at all, considering how many other people risk their lives trying to find the person who may need rescuing. IMO

This is my commute route! Well, not for a few days now! 4 hours later, where I was standing then flooded, another 1/4 mile is now blocked off. Just 3 months ago, the river was soooo low and dry that it was just ugly and brown...and sad to look at. Well, not anymore.
RainBCClosed0507.jpg

I talked to a friend of mine last night in Killeen she said more rain is coming! She was telling me about a lady who was driving with her 4 kids and the water was too deep she managed to get out and save two of her kids but the other two didnt make it. This happened one street over from her house. She said also they are looking for a man who was helping his neighbor park their car when the water took the car away with the man inside. The car has been found but the man is still missing. I lived in Killeen for 7 years I don't remember it ever being so bad ..Man I really pray for everyone in Texas right now it seems they really need it.

Yes, two of the original 5 confirmed deaths were those 2 little boys - one had just graduated from kindergarten earlier that day! How sad, so very sad. My heart just aches for that family.

I have family in Bryan and they have had nonstop rain for days! In Austin we got a break! My backyard is a huge mud pit though for the dogs....so nice...grrrrr.

Glad to hear Austin caught a break this time - it seemed like earlier in the year Austin was getting a lot more than we were here. I work with a lot of people in Austin, and they were pretty much sick if it, LOL.

Wow! I guess this made news nationwide yesterday! I knew they were having a severe flooding situation and powerful storm, but I had no idea it was so unusual! This radar pic is amazing!

fxc_Unusual_Event-754360.jpg

In my 20 years as a meteorologist I've never seen what took place in Oklahoma yesterday. A weakening tropical depression all of a sudden strengthens into what looked like a tropical storm.
http://www.koco.com/weatherblog/index.html

Wow! I guess this made news nationwide yesterday! I knew they were having a severe flooding situation and powerful storm, but I had no idea it was so unusual! This radar pic is amazing!

fxc_Unusual_Event-754360.jpg

In my 20 years as a meteorologist I've never seen what took place in Oklahoma yesterday. A weakening tropical depression all of a sudden strengthens into what looked like a tropical storm.
http://www.koco.com/weatherblog/index.html

Wow, how cool looking! I don't think it can be labeled tropical when it is over land, maybe subtropical??? Kinda wild, nontheless! Hope everyone was OK.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back