TX TX - Gloria Stringer, 22, Texas City, 4 June 1975

CuriousTwo

Reaction score
This was in a local newspaper today. I apologize for the quality of the images - they're scanned (no online link available).

id3.jpg

id1.jpg

id2.jpg

Here's a link I found for the Texas Department of Public Safety's record of this case:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/mpch/unidentified.htm

They had a clearer sketch:
unidentified.jpg

I found the article online here (requires free registration).

http://www.wallisnews.com/who-is-she-35-year-old-cold-case-reopened.html

Some snips from article to aid w/ anyone searching threads for info:

On June 7, 1975, at approximately 6 a.m. two boys checking their fishing lines in the Brazos River, behind Lazy River subdivision near Sealy (which is north and approximately two miles up river from I-10); found a body floating in the river against their fishing line.

The body, a female with blonde hair around 15 inches long, now thought to be between the ages of 17 to 25, had no clothing, no jewelry, but well manicured fingernails and toenails with a deep red/dark wine nail polish.

The original autopsy report states the cause of death as asphyxia due to drowning. The decedent had a 5-1/2 inch scar on the upper left quadrant of her abdomen from splenectomy (surgically missing spleen), a large gall stone present and may have been pregnant or given birth at some time.

The body was transported to the Harris County Morgue. It was estimated the body had been in the water for 3 to 4 days and with the existing level and flow of the Brazos, may have come from some distance up river.

The body was returned to Austin County and buried in an unmarked grave in the Wallis Cemetery. Judge King, Pastor Gene Frank and Rudy Knesek were the only people present at the burial.

One year to the day after exhuming the body, on July 29, 2010, Judge King received a copy of Lowe’s drawing.

“I couldn’t believe it when I actually saw her face,” said Judge King. “I really believe we will find out who she is.”

DNA identification from the long bones was unsuccessful. However, the teeth are much harder and preserve the DNA for a much longer time. After Lowe completed the image, Inv. Holmes transported the skull from Austin to UNT where they are currently working on DNA extraction from the teeth.

If you have any information concerning this case or any missing person’s case, please contact the Austin County Sheriffs Office at 979-865-3116, Justice of the Peace Pct. 4 at 979-478-6723, or Texas DPS Missing Persons Clearing House at 1-800-346-3243.

Here are her DoeNet and NamUs Pages:

The Doe Network:
Case File 761UFTX
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/761uftx.html
NamUs UP Case 5507 https://identifyus.org/cases/5507
unidentified.jpg

Unidentified White Female

* The victim was discovered on June 7, 1975 in Austin County, Texas
* Estimated Date of Death: 1-7 days prior
* Cause of Death: Asphyxia Due to Drowning

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 25-40 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5"; 110 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Sandy, straight, hair, 15" long; Unknown eye color, although some agencies list brown eyes. Light complexion. Well-groomed.
Fingernails and toenails freshly manicured with dark, wine colored polish.
* Scars, marks: 5 1/2" scar on upper left quadrant of abdomen from splenectomy.
* Medical: Splenectomy (surgically missing spleen); at one time in her life she may have been pregnant or had given birth;
gallbladder contains large gallstone.
* Clothing: None located.
* Jewelry: None located.
* Fingerprints: Available
* Dentals: Available
* DNA: Pending

Case History
The victim was found floating in the Brazos River, near the Lazy River division near Sealy.

Any indication if they've looked at Mary Trlica? She fits the height/weight description of the UID and is from Texas.

Haven't given her a critical eye and compared photographs, but her nose caught my attention....looks like it could be close.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/57dftx.html

Any indication if they've looked at Mary Trlica? She fits the height/weight description of the UID and is from Texas.

Haven't given her a critical eye and compared photographs, but her nose caught my attention....looks like it could be close.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/57dftx.html

I would be flabbergasted if they haven't :)

I do see the resemblance.

I would be flabbergasted if they haven't :)

I do see the resemblance.

No doubt Carl, I would be equally surprised if they haven't looked.

I wonder if other female UID cases have popped up along the Brazos River? Two other girls vanished along with Mary.

From the Doe Network:

Trlica was last seen at the Seminary South Shopping Center on December 23, 1974. She was accompanied by Lisa Renee Wilson and Julie Ann Moseley. The three girls were Christmas shopping.
Rachel’s car was found in the parking lot that evening with wrapped presents on the backseat floorboard.
A few days later, a letter from Rachel arrived at the home of her husband, Thomas.
"I know I'm going to catch it, but we just had to get away. We're going to Houston. See you in about a week. The car is in Sear's upper lot. Love Rachel."
The letter was written by a right-handed person when Rachel was left-handed. Handwriting experts are uncertain who wrote the letter, their tests inconclusive. While initially the letter was thought to have been mailed from Eliasville in Young County, the U.S. Postal Service has determined that it was mailed in Fort Worth.

Here are her DoeNet and NamUs Pages:

The Doe Network:
Case File 761UFTX
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/761uftx.html
NamUs UP Case 5507 https://identifyus.org/cases/5507
unidentified.jpg

Unidentified White Female

* The victim was discovered on June 7, 1975 in Austin County, Texas
* Estimated Date of Death: 1-7 days prior
* Cause of Death: Asphyxia Due to Drowning

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 25-40 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5"; 110 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Sandy, straight, hair, 15" long; Unknown eye color, although some agencies list brown eyes. Light complexion. Well-groomed.
Fingernails and toenails freshly manicured with dark, wine colored polish.
* Scars, marks: 5 1/2" scar on upper left quadrant of abdomen from splenectomy.
* Medical: Splenectomy (surgically missing spleen); at one time in her life she may have been pregnant or had given birth;
gallbladder contains large gallstone.
* Clothing: None located.
* Jewelry: None located.
* Fingerprints: Available
* Dentals: Available
* DNA: Pending

Case History
The victim was found floating in the Brazos River, near the Lazy River division near Sealy.

This girl was found near Robert Abel's ranch, and I believe was possibly linked to the murders in "The Killing Fields," and why LE thought Robert Abel was the guilty party for all though it was never proven. Abel is now dead. Tim Miller might be able to give more information on this girl than I can, and how it's thought she ties in with the girls found off south I-45 close to Galveston, of which Tim's daughter was one.

Glad to see this UID is getting coverage

A face but no name for 35 years
Austin County official has hope body will be ID'd

By AIMEE BURAS
HOUSTON CHRONICLE
Nov. 20, 2010, 12:46AM

The photos Dennis King has carried for decades show the distorted image of a young woman. A face he could not make out.

The images have haunted King, an Austin County justice of the peace, for more than 35 years. They are of a woman whose body was found in the Brazos River, her face distorted by the water, her name unknown.

"I've said a prayer every day for her to be identified," King said.

And now, thanks to technology and an artist's skill, he has a better idea of what she may have looked like.

Her body was exhumed from an unmarked grave and her skull sent to a forensic artist, who used it, along with photos taken in 1975, to draw a likely image of the woman.

Earlier this month, King received the artist's work, a facial reconstruction. He finally saw the face he has worked so long to identify.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7303310.html

did anybody submit Mary Trlica's name as a possible match? my only 2 issues with her are 1. they mention a small scar on Mary's chin but nothing about a splenectomy and 2. the gap in time from her disappearance to death.

based on her sudden disappearance I don't know who would have kept her alive for 6 months.

ETA: what's with the age discrepancy? the article says 17-25 and the Doe profile says 25-40. any wonder we have trouble making matches!

here is an interesting possible match, Christine Eastin. on the plus side is her height 5'5" to 5'7", age would have been 23 in 1975, had a surgical scar on her abdomen. Hair is listed as blonde as UID was noted as blonde in the article and sandy in her Doe profile.

the down side is the gap of time from her missing in CA in 1971 and the death in 1975 and her weight was about 20 pounds heavier than the UID (someone mentioned crash dieting as a possible cause of gallbladder problems that the UID had)

I think the face looks pretty close.

here is an interesting possible match, Christine Eastin. on the plus side is her height 5'5" to 5'7", age would have been 23 in 1975, had a surgical scar on her abdomen. Hair is listed as blonde as UID was noted as blonde in the article and sandy in her Doe profile.

the down side is the gap of time from her missing in CA in 1971 and the death in 1975 and her weight was about 20 pounds heavier than the UID (someone mentioned crash dieting as a possible cause of gallbladder problems that the UID had)

I think the face looks pretty close.

WS Member Billylee, who comments on this forum periodically, knew Christine Eastin.

Thank you Webrocket and CarlK for sending me the message. Here is a link to Christine's missing page here and within that her cold case link. In looking at the sketch of the JD here, I doubt that it is Christine, but who knows? Christine had, what I would call pointed features, where as this JD seems to have a wider, rounded face and nose, although I'd assume the nose is a guess, the squared chin is probably accurate. (?) Chris was two inches taller, and I've said before I think Chris' weight listed as 110 is a little low. She was not "skinny", which I think 5'7" at 110 would be, so my guess would be more like 120 lbs, and if I'm not mistaken there's one site that posts her as heavier. Also, as you said the circumstances of disappearing in 1971 and turning up in TX just recently deceased 4 years later, would be a stretch, but again, who knows? Also, to the best of my knowledge Chris was never pregnant. Of course, who's to say if her abductor couldn't have impregnated her and then killed her. But again, it's a stretch.

It is 40 years this month that Christine disappeared, and she is NOT forgotten. Thanks for looking. I keep meaning to scan some more yearbook pictures of her and put them here and you just reminded me that I need to get that done. Thank you.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84670&highlight=christine+eastin

Billy, thanks for your input.

do you know or have any way of finding out what Christine's abdominal scar was? on this particular UID the scar was from a splenectomy.

also I note the profile for the UID said she may have been pregnant or given birth. not sure what basis they use for that but I assume there must have been something that led them to suspect she had been pregnant at one time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh
Back