OK OK - Joan Croft, 4, Woodward, 9 April 1947

I'm looking at the page, and I think it might be a twitter account with only one tweet. It was set up in 2011. I don't want to violate any rules regarding social media, but this is clearly a twitter account with someone trying to link themselves to the Joan Gay Croft story. It is like they started to tell their story by setting up a twitter account (2011), a Facebook account (2015) and contacting the writer (1999), but kept changing her mind.
The Facebook page mentions says she says she attended Capitol Hill High School and St. John's College. Capitol Hill School is in Oklahoma City. I don't know where St. John's College is. According to the letters to the journalist, she went to high school in Oklahoma City. Someone could probably find alumni lists for the appropriate Capitol Hill classes.

I'm looking at the page, and I think it might be a twitter account with only one tweet. It was set up in 2011. I don't want to violate any rules regarding social media, but this is clearly a twitter account with someone trying to link themselves to the Joan Gay Croft story. It is like they started to tell their story by setting up a twitter account (2011), a Facebook account (2015) and contacting the writer (1999), but kept changing her mind.
The Facebook page mentions says she says she attended Capitol Hill High School and St. John's College. Capitol Hill School is in Oklahoma City. I don't know where St. John's College is. According to the letters to the journalist, she went to high school in Oklahoma City. Someone could probably find alumni lists for the appropriate Capitol Hill classes.
I'm skeptical but definitely intrigued. My first thought is that it's someone seeking attention, like the woman who pretended to be Anastasia for years.

I don't believe that this JGC is connected to the one from this case - just my opinion and instinct but I think it would be too unlikely that an abducted child would be allowed to keep her real name (albeit with a slightly different spelling of the middle name).

Interestingly - if I have researched this correctly - it looks as though the original Joan's step-father Olin had at least three marriages. First to Haisell, then to Cleta (Joan's mother) then in 1948 to Rena. Perhaps Olin and Rena named one of their children after Joan and it's this JGC the 2nd who is on social media? It's a long shot and pure speculation but it is something that families used to do when they had lost a child - name a subsequent child the same name. I have an instance of this in my own family.

This article seems the closest thing I have found to the case looking like being solved: http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/wood...cle_0fb79ae6-33a1-5c44-9938-f9559581419e.html The article implies that the woman who feels she is the original JGC has the right blood type to be her and that she's been in contact with the Croft family and confirmed physical resemblance and everyone including LE think it's probably her. The odd thing from the article though is that it says she's saving up money to afford a DNA test to confirm things - wouldn't LE go ahead and get the DNA test done to solve the case? It says here on JGC's Namus that DNA is available.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/32412

I don't believe that this JGC is connected to the one from this case - just my opinion and instinct but I think it would be too unlikely that an abducted child would be allowed to keep her real name (albeit with a slightly different spelling of the middle name).

Interestingly - if I have researched this correctly - it looks as though the original Joan's step-father Olin had at least three marriages. First to Haisell, then to Cleta (Joan's mother) then in 1948 to Rena. Perhaps Olin and Rena named one of their children after Joan and it's this JGC the 2nd who is on social media? It's a long shot and pure speculation but it is something that families used to do when they had lost a child - name a subsequent child the same name. I have an instance of this in my own family.

This article seems the closest thing I have found to the case looking like being solved: http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/wood...cle_0fb79ae6-33a1-5c44-9938-f9559581419e.html The article implies that the woman who feels she is the original JGC has the right blood type to be her and that she's been in contact with the Croft family and confirmed physical resemblance and everyone including LE think it's probably her. The odd thing from the article though is that it says she's saving up money to afford a DNA test to confirm things - wouldn't LE go ahead and get the DNA test done to solve the case? It says here on JGC's Namus that DNA is available.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/32412
If she is in contact with the family why would she need a lot of money for a DNA test when they could get a test from the drug store and send it in?
Am I missing something?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Note that that article is from 1994, which is way before DNA testing became as ubiquitous or accessible as it is now. I seem to recall a more recent update which advised that woman was eventually ruled out by DNA but I can't say for sure and I'm at work so I can't dig around for it. Does anyone else remember?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I'm skeptical but definitely intrigued. My first thought is that it's someone seeking attention, like the woman who pretended to be Anastasia for years.

I definitely think it could be someone looking for attention, but to file papers to create a non-profit, they would have to have some identification right? Of course, someone could change their name. My only question is, if they want attention, why not go 100% out into the media. Why a single tweet here, a couple of letters to a newspaper writer, a Facebook account somewhere else. If you are going to the trouble to change your name and do all these things for attention, wouldn't you just come out publicly claiming to be her?
On the other hand, if it is her, the same question applies. Why drop a few hints here and there?

Note that that article is from 1994, which is way before DNA testing became as ubiquitous or accessible as it is now. I seem to recall a more recent update which advised that woman was eventually ruled out by DNA but I can't say for sure and I'm at work so I can't dig around for it. Does anyone else remember?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry - when I was searching this article came up as saying it was from a couple of months back. Sorry guys.

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 12.53.17 PM.png

Here's another question. In one website article I found that the men specifically asked for Joan. Her mother was killed in the tornado and her stepfather seriously wounded. Do we know where her real father was? Was he still alive? Maybe the men were from his side of the family. Did she and her sister have the same father?

I noticed that too. I wonder if an ancestry search of Joans mother could help solve this. I did not see anywhere if her sister was her half or full sibling. Which could explain why only Joan was taken. If they were not full sisters.
We're there marital troubles before the disaster? Was the step dad abusive? Did the mothers family take her,and hide her to protect Her?

I noticed that too. I wonder if an ancestry search of Joans mother could help solve this. I did not see anywhere if her sister was her half or full sibling. Which could explain why only Joan was taken. If they were not full sisters.
We're there marital troubles before the disaster? Was the step dad abusive? Did the mothers family take her,and hide her to protect Her?

According to Ancestry, Joan Gay Croft was born in 1943 to Cleta Gobel and Hutchinson Olin Croft.

Carol Daun Croft (1935–2008) was from Joan's dad marriage to Haisell Lennis Blasdel (1908-2007)

Hutchinson died in 1986.

According to Ancestry, Joan Gay Croft was born in 1943 to Cleta Gobel and Hutchinson Olin Croft.

Carol Daun Croft (1935–2008) was from Joan's dad marriage to Haisell Lennis Blasdel (1908-2007)

Hutchinson died in 1986.

Very interesting.... the previous info said that Joan's sister Geri was 4 years older than she at the time of her disappearance, and was the one who witnessed her being taken away by 2 men. Perhaps Carol lived with her mom? I wonder what ended up happening to Geri?

Very interesting.... the previous info said that Joan's sister Geri was 4 years older than she at the time of her disappearance, and was the one who witnessed her being taken away by 2 men. Perhaps Carol lived with her mom? I wonder what ended up happening to Geri?

What's more interesting is that the family tree mentions Joan Croft was "kidnapped"

According to this article, it was her cousin Marvella Parks who witnessed everything http://kfor.com/2016/05/05/search-s...-old-who-vanished-after-tornado-69-years-ago/

Is it possible that in the midst of the chaos the 8 year old mistook one or both of the alleged kidnappers as men? I haven't read all of the info out there, so this may have already been verified, but I think there is a good chance that one or both could have been women, maybe with short hair (and I doubt many women would be wearing any makeup right after a tornado). Maybe I just want to believe that a woman would have less nefarious reasons for taking a child...

I'm thinking maybe Cleta's family took Joan Gay, rather than let Olin's side of the family raise her. I don't know what their marriage was like, only that both had been wed before. Jeri was Cleta's daughter by her first marriage and Olin had a daughter by his first marriage. She lived with her mom, whom Olin had divorced. Apparently, he remarried for a third time about a year after the tornado, had two more children but never stopped looking for Joan.

"Maybe I just want to believe that a woman would have less nefarious reasons for taking a child..."

Women are not "the fair/weaker sex". They can be just as evil as men.

"Maybe I just want to believe that a woman would have less nefarious reasons for taking a child..."

Women are not "the fair/weaker sex". They can be just as evil as men.
Yes. Read about Nannie Doss. She killed at least 11 people, including one of her grandsons, whom she killed in order to collect on a small life insurance policy.
Moreover, "Doss likely killed her own newborn granddaughter a few days after the birth by using a hairpin to stab her in the brain." It's believed that she killed two of her daughters, and she admitted to killing her four of her husbands, her mother, one of her mothers-in law, and one of her sisters.
Meet The "Giggling Granny" Serial Killer Who Laughed All Through Her Confession

Last edited:
JGCroft.jpg

Four year old Joan Gay Croft was last seen the night of April 10th, 1947 in Woodward, Ok. Joan and older sister Geri where placed in the basement of the only hospital in Woodward after a devastating F5 tornado tore through Woodward on April 9th, 1947.

The tornado killed their mother and critically injured their father H.O. Croft, who was transport to a hospital in Oklahoma City. This left Joan who had a splinter “the size of a pencil” through her knee and Geri alone in Woodward.

The next morning Joan’s Aunt Ruth arrived to the hospital in search of the girls. Aunt Ruth located Geri but no Joan. Geri told her aunt that “two men in khaki military type uniforms with some type of company logo” had came in during the night and carried Joan away. When Ruth asked the nurse about this, she verified this happening. The nurse told Ruth, Joan was thought to have been taken to a hospital in Oklahoma City. Ruth was unable to ever find Joan.

Joan was a Caucasian female, weighing 42 pounds and was 3’ 5” tall with strawberry blonde hair and blue eyes at the time she disappearance . She would have chicken pox scares on her forearms.

A cousin of Joan has given a DNA sample, which has been placed into CODIS hoping for a match.

If you have any information about the disappearance of missing Joan Croft please contact the Woodward Police Department.

Information Source(s):

NamUs #MP32412

Joan Gay Croft | Unsolved Mysteries Wiki | Fandom

2557DFOK - Joan Gay Croft (doenetwork.org)

Joan Gay Croft — Oklahoma Cold Cases

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back