TX - Toddler Trapped in Room During Dog Fight

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
"The parents left the baby by itself, please get somebody over her," said the frantic neighbor who called 911.

When officers arrived at the home in the 400 block of Stoneledge, a woman with a baseball bat was screaming that the baby was trapped inside the house with the dogs.

Officers found blood in the home's kitchen and hallway, then heard a baby crying.

Jonathan M. Newton, 26, and Angela K. Newton, 28, were arrested and charged with endangering a child, a second-degree felony.

Bond for each was set at $10,000.

Police said the couple left the baby alone with the two boys, who are not believed to be related.

Children's Protective Services was also notified and consulted.

The 13-month-old was released to the custody of a relative.

More at:

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou080707_mh_dogfightbaby.31f45a98.html

Oh wow, Thank God the baby was in her crib and not on the floor or something. I can imagine how frantic that neighbour must have been. :eek:

Oh wow, Thank God the baby was in her crib and not on the floor or something. I can imagine how frantic that neighbour must have been. :eek:

No kidding.. and those poor boys that were babysitting!

I thank God that everyone is ok but this seems to be another case of cps jumping the gun. My almost 13 year old son babysits and I started baby sitting at 11 or 12. There are just too many times cps takes the wrong kids and leaves others that obviously need to be taken to be abused even more or even killed.

Praise all things good that little baby is alright. Plus the young boys.

Now watch somebody is going to say the kids left the dog out or something. My neighbors one dog ate the leg off the other dog while the kids were all out playing and saw it. Big dog fight. Kids shouldn't have been anywhere near those dogs.

People.:confused:

I thank God that everyone is ok but this seems to be another case of cps jumping the gun. My almost 13 year old son babysits and I started baby sitting at 11 or 12. There are just too many times cps takes the wrong kids and leaves others that obviously need to be taken to be abused even more or even killed.

Okay so the next time CPS can be called out after the baby is mauled by the dogs:waitasec: Clearly these boys (aka babysitters)weren't able to control the situation and the neighbor had to step in. IMO thank God she did so!

Bama, I don't think they took that baby because she was being babysat. I understand your point but in this case that baby could have been killed real easy. A relative has the baby now the article says.

Go into a room full of blood. Imagine them cops seeing all that blood and wondering what happened to that baby? I'd be calling CPS and they are the last people I'd ever want to call. Those boys were in danger as well.

The article says that the dogs were caged. I personally do not think people with children should own dangerous breeds of dogs or mean dogs of any kind. The dogs were fighting each other though and the baby was unharmed. The blood was from the dogs. It could be that one of the boys let the dogs out and if that is the case then I think cps jumped the gun. Plus the parents took the precaution to cage the dogs to keep them from each other. The article makes it sound like cps took the baby because she was left with a 13 and 11 year old that were non related and if that is the case then cps was wrong.

We had a case here not so long ago where a mother left her 5 year old daughter at the Grandmother's overnight. The family had a pitbull that had attacked before and should have been left outside the house. The Grandmother was drinking and smoking weed and decided to let the dog in. The Dog ripped the child apart and she died.:(

The article says that the dogs were caged. I personally do not think people with children should own dangerous breeds of dogs or mean dogs of any kind. The dogs were fighting each other though and the baby was unharmed. The blood was from the dogs. It could be that one of the boys let the dogs out and if that is the case then I think cps jumped the gun. Plus the parents took the precaution to cage the dogs to keep them from each other. The article makes it sound like cps took the baby because she was left with a 13 and 11 year old that were non related and if that is the case then cps was wrong.

There is nothing in there that says a word about them taking the baby because of the boys...not a word.

snipped>>>
They forced open the door to the baby's room where the dogs were still fighting
Police said there was blood all over the bedroom and one window was smashed by the fighting dogs, believed to be an American bulldog and a French bull mastiff.
One of the dogs died at the scene and the other was taken into custody by animal control.
Two boys, ages 13 and 11, told police that one of the dogs had broken out of its cage and began attacking the other so they ran next door to get help.
The Galveston County District Attorney’s Office filed charges against the baby's parents.
Jonathan M. Newton, 26, and Angela K. Newton, 28, were arrested and charged with endangering a child, a second-degree felony.

It looked more like the dogs were confined either in the baby's room or elsewhere in the home and found there way into the baby's bedroom where they were found. Clearly they knew these dogs were dangerous and chose to leave three children in a potentially lethal situation. This would constitute child endangerment any day of the week. Furthermore, with mom and dad in the slammer, they had to place the child with somebody till they bail out. CPS was notified and consulted and placed the baby with a relative. Good job CPS..keep up the good work!

Yes but the dogs still could have gotten out and fought each other if an adult was babysitting . Do you think cps would have taken the baby then? Like I said I do not think people with children should have dangerous breeds of dogs but I think if an adult was babysitting cps would not have been so quick to jump in.
I did not say that the article stated that cps took the baby because a 13 and 11 year old were baby sitting but that is the vibe I got from the article.

We had a case here not so long ago where a mother left her 5 year old daughter at the Grandmother's overnight. The family had a pitbull that had attacked before and should have been left outside the house. The Grandmother was drinking and smoking weed and decided to let the dog in. The Dog ripped the child apart and she died.:(

That is 100% a case cps should have been involved in. I absolutely hate mean dogs . I cannot fathom why someone who has kids would own a vicious pitbull.

This thread may turn into the viscious breed of dog versus teens babysitting.

Let's look at this. You're a 911 operator and a woman is screaming her head off there's a baby trapped in a room with two dogs fighting.

You get the call. You're a cop. You walk into something like a blood bath and are looking for a little baby. What do you do? Besides taze the dog. Or shoot it or whatever? Say "Okie dokie now we're done here. Where's mom and dad? Boys you both alright and while we're at it did you uncage those dogs?" Me? I'd call CPS pronto and again I'm not thrilled with them.

Police officers get hecka mad when children are put in danger. Weather it's because the parents were there or not. A baby in a blood filled room weather from dogs or not them people left that baby in danger. I believe that's what the cops had to do. In good concious. Besides the baby is with a relative now.

That is 100% a case cps should have been involved in. I absolutely hate mean dogs . I cannot fathom why someone who has kids would own a vicious pitbull.

The little girl was called Ellie Lawrenson and she was bitten 72 times.
The dog had apparently bitten the Grandmother's youngest daughter only 6 weeks before and allegedly attacked a neighbour so should not have been let in the house where Ellie was. The family was torn into opposing sides as Ellie's parents blamed the Grandmother but the parents had also known the dog was dangerous and still left Ellie at the house. In fact, the mother admitted that she knew the dog was jealous of Ellie.
Anyway, the Grandmother was charged but was cleared by a jury of the little girl's manslaughter despite the fact that she had drank two bottles of wine and smoked ten cannabis joints while babysitting this child:(

The little girl was called Ellie Lawrenson and she was bitten 72 times.
The dog had apparently bitten the Grandmother's youngest daughter only 6 weeks before and allegedly attacked a neighbour so should not have been let in the house where Ellie was. The family was torn into opposing sides as Ellie's parents blamed the Grandmother but the parents had also known the dog was dangerous and still left Ellie at the house. In fact, the mother admitted that she knew the dog was jealous of Ellie.
Anyway, the Grandmother was charged but was cleared by a jury of the little girl's manslaughter despite the fact that she had drank two bottles of wine and smoked ten cannabis joints while babysitting this child:(

This is awful! Why had the dog not been euthanized .I thought a second offense means they put the dog down. I would have found the Grandmother guilty as heck.

This is awful! Why had the dog not been euthanized .I thought a second offense means they put the dog down. I would have found the Grandmother guilty as heck.

What makes this case even worse is that Pitbulls are BANNED here. The dog actually belonged to the Grandmother's son. They should never have had the dog in the first place but they are popular here amongst all the little teen gangsters who think having one of these dogs makes them look cool.

I am just glad the baby in this story was ok.

.I thought a second offense means they put the dog down.

Not always. My family member was mauled. Turns out he was the third offense. People hide dogs. Someone else keeps them until the heat dies down. The owner gets them back.

My family member isn't a child and what happened to him was horrific. He had to have a skin graft. All he kept saying is "Thank God it was me and not a little kid". Months later he hears from another mail carrier a little boy was bit by the same exact dog. Well, more than bit. The child will need so many reconstructive surgeries it's too awful to speak of. After the attack on my family member the owner claimed the dog ran away. The owner had no children of his own in the house.

Not always. My family member was mauled. Turns out he was the third offense. People hide dogs. Someone else keeps them until the heat dies down. The owner gets them back.

My family member isn't a child and what happened to him was horrific. He had to have a skin graft. All he kept saying is "Thank God it was me and not a little kid". Months later he hears from another mail carrier a little boy was bit by the same exact dog. Well, more than bit. The child will need so many reconstructive surgeries it's too awful to speak of. After the attack on my family member the owner claimed the dog ran away. The owner had no children of his own in the house.

That is awful! They need to immediately put a dog down that viciously attacks anyone. I hope that your family member and the little one are ok now. What kind of dog was it?

It's not like they left the child alone. They had two babysitters who I think did the right thing by getting the neighbor to help. Why were the parents arrested?

I'm sure it was a horrific scene but with the dogs both crated, I'm sure the parents had no idea this would happen. Thank God the 13 month old had no injuries.

It's not like they left the child alone. They had two babysitters who I think did the right thing by getting the neighbor to help. Why were the parents arrested?

I'm sure it was a horrific scene but with the dogs both crated, I'm sure the parents had no idea this would happen. Thank God the 13 month old had no injuries.

I agree with your post 100%. It was scary of what happened, but I don't think the parents deserved to be arrested. It sounds like they got a baby sitter, and the other child was perhaps a friend of the sitter that was helping him. The parents caged at least one of the dogs, and it got out. Now, that said, I don't think anyone should keep a dangerous breed of dog around children (or anyone, for that matter).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back