Brad Conway to file Motion of Protective Order

Luka plans to file a bar complaint against Morgan if depositions are public.

Anyone know the Florida rules of procedure regarding privacy (or lack thereof) of depositions?

Good for him, I agree with him!!
I think it makes no sense whatsoever to videotape the Anthonys' depositions, and why are they having to give one anyway? They never met the woman.

http://phonl.com/fl_law/rules/FRCP/frcp1310.htm

"(4) Any deposition may be recorded by videotape without leave of the court or stipulation of the parties, provided the deposition is taken in accordance with this subdivision.

(A) Notice. A party intending to videotape a deposition shall state in the notice that the deposition is to be videotaped and shall give the name and address of the operator.

(B) Stenographer. Videotaped depositions shall also be recorded stenographically, unless all parties agree otherwise.

(C) Procedure. At the beginning of the deposition, the officer before whom it is taken shall, on camera: (i) identify the style of the action, (ii) state the date, and (iii) swear the witness.

(D) Custody of Tape and Copies. The attorney for the party requesting the videotaping of the deposition shall take custody of and be responsible for the safeguarding of the videotape, shall permit the viewing of it by the opposing party, and, if requested, shall provide a copy of the videotape at the expense of the party requesting the copy.

(E) Cost of Videotaped Depositions. The party requesting the videotaping shall bear the initial cost of videotaping."

Looks like they can't stop the videotaping of the depos. I haven't found anything yet that addresses the media/public attendance at depos. The law in Florida is turning out to be quite interesting.

http://phonl.com/fl_law/rules/FRCP/frcp1280.htm

"(c) Protective Orders. Upon motion by a party or by the person from whom discovery is sought, and for good cause shown, the court in which the action is pending may make any order to protect a party or person from annoyance, embarrassment, oppression, or undue burden or expense that justice requires, including one or more of the following: (1) that the discovery not be had; (2) that the discovery may be had only on specified terms and conditions, including a designation of the time or place; (3) that the discovery may be had only by a method of discovery other than that selected by the party seeking discovery; (4) that certain matters not be inquired into, or that the scope of the discovery be limited to certain matters; (5) that discovery be conducted with no one present except persons designated by the court; (6) that a deposition after being sealed be opened only by order of the court; (7) that a trade secret or other confidential research, development, or commercial information not be disclosed or be disclosed only in a designated way; and (8) that the parties simultaneously file specified documents or information enclosed in sealed envelopes to be opened as directed by the court. If the motion for a protective order is denied in whole or in part, the court may, on such terms and conditions as are just, order that any party or person provide or permit discovery. The provisions of rule 1.380(a)(4) apply to the award of expenses incurred in relation to the motion."

I think BC will win this one.

Luka plans to file a bar complaint against Morgan if depositions are public.

Anyone know the Florida rules of procedure regarding privacy (or lack thereof) of depositions?

Good Morning!!
Morgan said on NG that he can video tape the depositions and once he files everything, including the video, with the court and then they can be released to the public under the Sunshine Laws
Morgan himself is not releasing the video, it will be done under Florida's Sunshine Laws, a request for the video can be made by the media just like we have been witnessing all along with the release of info in the case against Casey..

Morgan said on NG that he can video tape the depositions and once he files everything, including the video, with the court and then they can be released to the public under the Sunshine Laws
Morgan himself is not releasing the video, it will be done under Florida's Sunshine Laws, a request for the video can be made by the media just like we have been witnessing all along with the release of info in the case against Casey..

The video linked in the first post states that Morgan is holding the depos in his mock courtroom, open to the public and media. That's what Luka and BC are raising heck about.

Good Morning!!

Posting the link to the transcript. http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0902/04/ng.01.html

http://phonl.com/fl_law/rules/FRCP/frcp1310.htm

"(4) Any deposition may be recorded by videotape without leave of the court or stipulation of the parties, provided the deposition is taken in accordance with this subdivision.

(A) Notice. A party intending to videotape a deposition shall state in the notice that the deposition is to be videotaped and shall give the name and address of the operator.

(B) Stenographer. Videotaped depositions shall also be recorded stenographically, unless all parties agree otherwise.

(C) Procedure. At the beginning of the deposition, the officer before whom it is taken shall, on camera: (i) identify the style of the action, (ii) state the date, and (iii) swear the witness.

(D) Custody of Tape and Copies. The attorney for the party requesting the videotaping of the deposition shall take custody of and be responsible for the safeguarding of the videotape, shall permit the viewing of it by the opposing party, and, if requested, shall provide a copy of the videotape at the expense of the party requesting the copy.

(E) Cost of Videotaped Depositions. The party requesting the videotaping shall bear the initial cost of videotaping."

Looks like they can't stop the videotaping of the depos. I haven't found anything yet that addresses the media/public attendance at depos. The law in Florida is turning out to be quite interesting.

Bold me
Did Morgan or Mitnik actually say they were going to have the media/public present for the depos..or was that a spin by the media, because Morgan said the depos would be videotaped and available to the public...Under the Sunshine Laws of course :)

The video linked in the first post states that Morgan is holding the depos in his mock courtroom, open to the public and media. That's what Luka and BC are raising heck about.

Thanks.

Morgan does have mock courtrooms at the Morgan Law Offices..

Bold me
Did Morgan or Mitnik actually say they were going to have the media/public present for the depos..or was that a spin by the media, because Morgan said the depos would be videotaped and available to the public...Under the Sunshine Laws of course :)

In the video in the first post, the reporter is speaking from Morgan's "mock courtroom," where the reporter says Morgan says he will hold the depositions publicly. Morgan himself is not present in the video.

I hope a judge does shut this down, this is ridiculous.

Morgan should have kept his mouth shut and just videotaped the depos and submitted them to the court- they would have then been released.

However, I have to wonder if Conway and Luka are demanding no videotaping or requesting that Morgan & Co sign something promising not to let the tape/transcripts be released.

Morgan doesn't seem stupid enough to derail his own case and that's precisely what he did by apparently threatening to invite the media and claim that he will release the tapes.

I wonder if there is something going on behind the scenes that compelled him to push like this.

Give me a break!!!!

"I'm shocked an attorney would try to turn a deposition into a circus,” said George and Cindy Anthony's attorney, Brad Conway

Is he serious???????? HE is the one on TV constantly. HE is the one that likes talking to the press. He is the one that likes to announce what the Anthony's are doing at any given time.

But he has the gall to accuse another attorney of turning this into a circus?!? He's as ridiculous as all the Anthony's are, IMO.

Although Morgan does air commercials on television in the Orlando market, in the many years I have lived in this area, he has never made a mockery of a court case. In fact, I don't ever recall seeing him in the news involved in a high profile case.

I've heard he is a good attorney- he just spends alot of money on advertising.

Give me a break!!!!

"I'm shocked an attorney would try to turn a deposition into a circus,” said George and Cindy Anthony's attorney, Brad Conway

Is he serious???????? HE is the one on TV constantly. HE is the one that likes talking to the press. He is the one that likes to announce what the Anthony's are doing at any given time.

But he has the gall to accuse another attorney of turning this into a circus?!? He's as ridiculous as all the Anthony's are, IMO.

ITA. Birds of a feather.

Morgan's just trying to force their hand. I don't know why he thinks exerting pressure will cause Casey to do what he wants---but all he wants is for Casey to say, "That's not the Zenaida Gonzalez I know."

It could all be made to go away very easily. If I were Conway, I'd be pushing Baez rather than Morgan. All Baez has to do is have Casey issue a simple 5-word, non-incriminating response to her interrogatories: "It's not the same woman."

Give me a break!!!!

I know. That statement coming from the attorney of Barnum & Bailey reincarnated is priceless. Don't any of these people think before they speak?

Morgan's just trying to force their hand. I don't know why he thinks exerting pressure will cause Casey to do what he wants---but all he wants is for Casey to say, "That's not the Zenaida Gonzalez I know."

It could all be made to go away very easily. If I were Conway, I'd be pushing Baez rather than Morgan. All Baez has to do is have Casey issue a simple 5-word, non-incriminating response to her interrogatories: "It's not the same woman."

Bold mine. Bingo! Why is that so bloody difficult?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back