CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still find it weird that SV was removed from the home (risky) but was reminded of this early in the investigation, news link.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2010/09/03/orangeville-varaschin-missing659.html?ref=rss
The fact the bedding was taken suggests there was "a disposal of biological evidence, perhaps," Pritchard said. "Or that the bedding was a convenient way of concealing her body for removal from the house."

Thinking about it now, I don't see that bedding would have been a good body concealor,considering it was bloodsoaked -- unless it was then rolled into a carpet or something else, to look like a large item workmen would remove from a house.

Her removal from the house, in her own car, is still the one oddest detail about this crime to me. It's not like the perpetrator was able to clean the crime scene after the fact to make it look like she just disappeared. And they brought her car back to the area with blood all over it and left it where it was sure to be found. And while we're still not sure if it was left with the doors open, if it was, it was pretty obvious that something was amiss with the owner of the vehicle so the perpetrator wanted the vehicle to be found right away?

I often wonder if the perpetrator went back to her home after dumping the car to check for blood evidence...or if he intended to but she was reported missing so quickly that they didn't get the chance. This makes me wonder if it was someone local.

Dumping her so close to the road is strange too, and like that lady in the article stated, there was a large swamp in the area that would have concealed the body for a much longer period of time, if not permanently. While Sonia was a tiny woman and likely didn't weigh a lot, perhaps the perpetrator was not that strong and was unable to carry the body further away from the road or into the swampy area? I wonder if there were drag marks indicating that he dragged the bedding as far as he could into that small forested area.

And since her body was found on the north side of that sideroad, I would have to assume that she was dumped as the perpetrator was driving west back towards Orangeville. Why did they drive that far east and start back tracking before finding a spot?

So many questions. Such an odd case. :waitasec:

MOO

dotr already posted a link to this info, but I thought it would be better to post the composite...
found this bigger image in an Orangeville Citizen article (link here), as well as the OPP's Media Appeal (link here).
Investigators are looking for assistance from the public in identifying a male seen walking in the area of the 10th Sideroad, just east of Highway 10 during the afternoon hours of December 7th, 2010.

At this point, investigators want to communicate with this person to determine his connection, if any, to this investigation. We are asking that he call the OPP at 1-888-310-1122 and speak with investigators from Dufferin Detachment.
Composite of Unknown Person
in the Shelley Loder case

12p1.jpg

He is described as male, white, 27-32 years of age, average build and approximately 5'10". He has a round face, clean shaven, light/fair complexion with reddish/orange hair, short with a slight wave. He was wearing a dark, two toned ski jacket and looked to be neat in appearance.

The detectives are sure that there is no connection between Shelley and Sonia. Why they are certain of that beats me.
The perp could have dropped off her body at that point and continued on to his own place, changed clothes, and dropped the car back into Orangeville.

The link is updated a bit with a better map. The road between Olde Base Road and Boston Mills Road is blocked off for the investigation.

The body was found on the west side ditch and there are photos at this link:
http://www.caledonenterprise.com/news/body-found-on-heart-lake-road/
Thanks matou. This other link contains an UPDATE:
<< snips >>
The Enterprise has learned police may be investigating the discovery of a deceased female, whose body was found somewhere along Heart Lake Road possibly by a nearby resident.
There are rumours, but no confirmed reports that Caledon OPP officers are investigating a possible homicide in Caledon.
Several officers clad in green tactical gear could be seen walking along the west side of Heart Lake Road, appearing to be searching for evidence. Further north, an OPP command post was stationed with several OPP cruisers in plain view. On the east side of the road, a blue forensics tent was stationed.
Shortly after 6 p.m. Thursday evening, Heart Lake Road between Olde Base Line Road and Boston Mills Road was closed down to traffic.
The Criminal Investigation Branch (CIB) of the OPP, which investigates homicides, attempt murders, kidnappings, extradition proceedings, and other major criminal investigations, according to the OPP’s website was later called in to join the investigation. However, what officers are investigating isn’t clear.
“As soon as there is more information, it will be provided as soon as practicable,” the OPP stated in the road closure release.

read more: http://www.caledonenterprise.com/news/no-word-on-heart-lake-road-discovery/

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/article/956292--body-found-in-caledon-ditch
But a young man living in the area said police told his mother the remains were that of a female when she became worried because he wasn&#8217;t home.

&#8220;I don&#8217;t know much other than police said she was female and a jogger found her in a ditch,&#8221; Ryan Howard, 19, said Friday. &#8220;I was freaked out when my mom called and said the cops were at our house.&#8221;

Body found in Caledon is female: Police

The Ontario Provincial Police have identified the body found in Caledon on Thursday, but aren’t releasing the victim’s name.

Police said there was no link between the two cases at this time.

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...19949--body-found-in-caledon-is-female-police

No link? How about a geographic link at this time?

It could be that Kera was killed by someone who thought it was brilliant to take her body to the same area where Sonia was killed (in which case the cases are not related) OR it could be that Kera's killer is familiar with that area because they have something to do with Sonia's killing in Orangeville and/or Shelly's assault in Mono.

No link? How about a geographic link at this time?

It could be that Kera was killed by someone who thought it was brilliant to take her body to the same area where Sonia was killed (in which case the cases are not related) OR it could be that Kera's killer is familiar with that area because they have something to do with Sonia's killing in Orangeville and/or Shelly's assault in Mono.

Wondering where KF received medical attention for her conditions prior to her death...

I have noticed a pattern in certain police investigations. Often an arrest will be made within days after a funeral.

What I notice is different. No body no action. And if they don't arrest in the first week, chances get very dim. Sometimes they get lucky on a tip years later...but 1000's remain unsolved in NA every year and the pile gets higher. The longer it goes, the lower the probability.

What I notice is different. No body no action. And if they don't arrest in the first week, chances get very dim. Sometimes they get lucky on a tip years later...but 1000's remain unsolved in NA every year and the pile gets higher. The longer it goes, the lower the probability.

With all due respect dmander, obviously Summer was referring to when there is a body, and typically that one week period is approx when a funeral is held for the deceased.

http://www.orangeville.com/opinion/columns/article/970732--a-tale-of-the-little-website-that-could
Our unique visits are now averaging in the 50,000 range each month, which is about triple the circulation of our paper product. For those non-techies out there, think of a unique visit like an online fingerprint, or in tech speak, the number of unique IP addresses that visit our site. Page views are more than 300,000 per month.

Ironically, or tragically, I&#8217;m not sure what the right word is, the largest jump in our website traffic started with the death of Sonia Varaschin. People across the world visited our site to find out about her murder and that readership never left even when the story grew cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado