500 native women who have disappeared or been murdered in the last 20 years

I wish the show covered more of the other girls, but I guess they only have an hour and sadly in the other cases the girls just simply disappeared.

I wish the show covered more of the other girls, but I guess they only have an hour and sadly in the other cases the girls just simply disappeared.

i agree. So many girls are missing, seems unfair. It should have been a 2 hour show.

If anyone missed 48=Highway of Tears you can watch it at this link below

[ame="http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50135366n"]Highway of Tears - 48 Hours - CBS News[/ame]

i agree. So many girls are missing, seems unfair. It should have been a 2 hour show.

I was disappointed on that too! They could have said it was a 2 hour show and they would continue it later or started it at 9 and added more stories. I know the other girls' families would want to talk about their missing women and children. I felt like the story was half-told and with such a massive amount of people missing murdered it would have been easy to fill two hours.

Just watched, "Finding Dawn". If you can find it and watch, I highly recommend it. It tells more stories about the missing First Nation women from Canada. Made me cry often. I am hoping with people getting the word out, standing up for women and children, the violence will end.

We are taught all about colonialism, residential schools and the assimilation of FN peoples in Canadian universities. As an education major, the indigenous studies course is mandatory and it is taught by an Aboriginal person and focuses largely on residential schools and the effects of colonization, as well as focusing on Aboriginal spirituality and tribal history. It is no longer ignored by the education system. It is very integrated and actually, is a large focus for the education system, at least at the university I attend.

I recently wrote a research paper on missing Aboriginal women in Canada and concluded that most of the missing Aboriginal women shared similar lifestyle factors. The number 500 is not an official number. As was said already, there is no database of missing Aboriginal women. SIS was trying to create one but the Canadian government stopped funding to them last year, I believe. The number 500 was a result of research preformed by the NWAC and refers to the number of missing or murdered Aboriginal women.

I came to the conclusion that many of these women shared high risk lifestyle factors which included prostitution, transiency, and alcohol or drug use. This is NOT an attempt to blame the victim; I believe it's important in identifying the underlying cause of this epidemic. I came to believe this in reading NUMEROUS missing women files, conducting an interview with a detective at KARE as well as a veteran crime reporter, watching Finding Dawn and reading texts. The larger issue involves providing community support, childhood intervention and funding to Aboriginal people.

However, I will not deny that there is certainly a particular image that white Canadian society has of aboriginal women--easy, squaws, prostitutes--that perhaps perpetuates stereotypes that certainly results in predators targeting aboriginal women. Obviously, John Crawford is an example of one such predator although, many other are out there who have not been caught.

I suspect that the serial killer or serial killers likely lives amongst the Aboriginal people of Canada and is one of them. Someone probably know who that person is. Reminds me of the I-45 Killer or Ciudad Juarez Murders.

I suspect that the serial killer or serial killers likely lives amongst the Aboriginal people of Canada and is one of them. Someone probably know who that person is. Reminds me of the I-45 Killer or Ciudad Juarez Murders.

I think it's a long-haul or even short-haul trucker and a white man.

I think it's a long-haul or even short-haul trucker and a white man.

Just as possible as well. I wonder if this could be a work of multiple killers.

Natives blockade roads in Ontario to call for missing women inquiry
March 3rd, 2014

BELLEVILLE, Ont. - A popular Mohawk agitator in eastern Ontario is once again leading a highway blockade - this time to push for an inquiry into missing native women across Canada.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2014/03/20140303-111155.html

"Agitator"??? I don't care for the negative connotation that adjective implies.

WTH?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.catwinternational.org/Ho...l-you-free-your-glorious-land-of-prostitution

I love the quote from this article

"Prostitution is not inevitable; it is male violence, power and control over the female body, fueled by organized crime, drug dealers, pimps and buyers," says Natasha Falle, who founded Sextrade101 in 2007. "With an average age of entry at 13, it is the sex trade that robs us of our life and security."

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...:+NP_Top_Stories+(National+Post+-+Top+Stories)
VANCOUVER — A year and a half after a public inquiry called for urgent action to protect women along a stretch of highway in northern British Columbia known as the Highway of Tears, mayors and other leaders in the region say the province has yet to contact them about what needs to happen.
Internal briefing notes also indicate a team of bureaucrats assigned to hold consultations with communities along Highway 16, where women have been disappearing or turning up dead for decades, have put that work on hold for much of the past year.
What emerges is a picture of slow progress that appears to contradict the province’s claims that it has been busy holding a “tremendous number” of meetings about the issue with local governments.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/A...ay+Tears+response+minister/9831762/story.html
VANCOUVER - British Columbia's justice minister insisted Monday that a notorious section of highway in the province's north known as the Highway of Tears is safer today than it has been, though she gave no indication about what more her government intends to do to protect vulnerable women in the region.

Justice Minister Suzanne Anton was forced to respond to criticism that the province has been slow to come up with a plan for the Highway 16 corridor, where at least 17 women have disappeared or been murdered since the 1970s.

Just saw info on the same report mikkismom -

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...y-to-suffer-violent-death-rcmp-says-1.2644827

The stats are -

Key findings in the report:

Of the 1,181 investigations, 1,017 are aboriginal female homicide victims between 1980 and 2012 and 164 women are considered missing.

Currently, there are 225 unsolved cases: 120 are homicides, 105 are missing or foul play suspected.

Aboriginal women make up 16 per cent of all murdered women on record, five per cent of all murders on record and 11.3 per cent of all missing women on record.​

Aboriginal women are most likely to be murdered by an acquaintance (30 per cent), spouse (29 per cent), or family member (24 per cent).

More than 90 per cent of indigenous female murder victims knew their killer, RCMP said.

The high murder rate of aboriginal women in Canada comes down to them being murdered by their own people, for the most part. That is what people needed to know. Thank-you to RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson and his team that worked on this report.

Imo, isolation is their biggest problem - same as women in other cultures that are abused and ultimately murdered by family. For many reasons, the rate is higher among aboriginal people in Canada.

The picture is not pretty but it's now there for all to see - I have confidence that the RCMP had no motive to skew any of the facts they reported. Imo, this is backed up by the aboriginal people not wanting to share the info they claim to have.

There are still Cody Legebokoff types out there though - where are they operating Commissioner Paulson?

"Of those 1,181 reported cases, 1,017 are homicide victims and 164 are considered missing. And of the total reported cases of murdered and missing indigenous women, 225 remain unresolved.

The report also found that close to 90 per cent of all female homicides are resolved and that "there is little difference" in solve rates between aboriginal and non-aboriginal victims."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/num...riginal-women-surprises-top-mountie-1.2645674

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back