UT - Ethan Stacy, 4, Layton, 10 May 2010 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
What just gets me about the picture is that he is sitting on the lap of the monster who did that to him... There are so many things just horribly wrong with that. And knowing that his mother is standing there taking the picture instead of grabbing him and running out the door is just sickening. :furious:

What just gets me about the picture is that he is sitting on the lap of the monster who did that to him... There are so many things just horribly wrong with that. And knowing that his mother is standing there taking the picture instead of grabbing him and running out the door is just sickening. :furious:
he is sitting with a blanket over his legs, with his head lolling downward, with no expression on his face... while his mother takes the picture.:furious:

eta: with an obviously injured head

I would bet that little Ethan cried for his Daddy saying he wanted to go home and that is when tension in that home began to rise...NS didn't want to hear about 'Daddy' and SS wanted to punish Daddy!

(regarding that screencap, yes I also see a bruised, swollen jaw and lower lip!)

Both of the former spouses of Nathan and Stephanie Sloop were also fearful for the safety of their children because of the unstable behavior of their exes.

The biological father of Ethan Stacy described his ex-wife Stephanie Sloop as "unstable" and said he feared she would take their son and he'd never see him again.

The former wife of Nathan Sloop described him as mentally unstable, violent, and having multiple personalities — including one personality who becomes extremely angry when criticized. She said she feared for her life and for her daughter's life.

The divorce documents include transcripts of profanity-laced tirades that Nathan Sloop — who prosecutors plan to charge Friday with the murder of his stepson — left in a series of voice mail messages for his former wife, Jennifer Freeman, one day in September.

"I only wish now that I could (expletive) take you out of (their daughter's) life. I am going to do every (expletive) thing possible within my power to take you the (expletive) out of her life (expletive). I don't give a (expletive) if I gotta spend the rest of my (expletive) life in prison. (Expletive) you. I'm coming after your (expletive) throat," he said in one voice mail message.

In another, Nathan Sloop allegedly threatened to kill Freeman's boyfriend "Mike," and then added, "You'll be next in line."

Nathan Sloop left five voice mail messages in less than 20 minutes and six within 90 minutes, according to the court documents.

"He hugs my (expletive) daughter, he comes near my (expletive) daughter, he is (expletive) done. Over," one message said.

Nathan Sloop and Freeman had one daughter together. She turns 6 later this month. The daughter, who was born in Utah

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...red-couple-accused-in-Ethan-Stacys-death.html

much more at link

what an explosive and deadly combination that little Ethan walked into.

ella971,
I am so sorry to hear that you went through this! I am sure this case touches many nerves for you... ((((((((((((big hug)))))))))))))) and glad you are here with us

by that point in time he would be lucky to even be able to turn his head let alone climb into a tub and turn a faucet handle.

I go back to this point: WHY did Stephaniefreakingsloop even TAKE those pictures that would incriminate her in the future???? For example: Ethan goes back home from the summer and says he was hit and than says mommy took my picture.

TWO DAYS AFTER THE JAW PICTURE they are locking him in his room while they go get freaking married. Why so early? What was the change of plans???? Why get married before the date you set on your KNOT PROFILE?

I think that early on beating was the point of no return for them and they had to keep going with it. Perhaps they thought a marriage would help them in the long run. Either way, this child was obviously beaten from the second his Daddy walked away from him... viciously and unmercifully.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first beating is what rendered the head trauma either. That picture taken on 4 May was very telling of earlier trauma and obvious signs of such (lethargy, somnolence, inanimation for a child of that age in his facial features as well as his extremeties)

I still tend to think that after the first beating he kept going downhill and that the "feces" was actually coffee ground emesis (him throwing up blood into his mouth from his upper/and or lower GI tract/abdomen being beaten).

Just another thought.. but the "scalding bath" could have been another of their methods to "wake him up" from the coma they induced. Or to wash him off.

Again I hope Stephanie Sloop is seriously looked at before tomorrow morning when charges are formally filed.

I didn't see the video, just the screen capture but I agree with you. That's no fresh injury.

I'll also say this... that in and of itself proves to me she wasn't documenting his injuries because she was "scared" of NS.

She was taking videos of Ethan and NS having "fun". It was a home movie IOW. I could tell even from the still photo he wasn't right. Very flat.

Hitting anyone in the head, even the jaw, and especially of someone that small can still cause brain injury. Contrecoup where the brain 'bounces' off the opposite side of the skull. Jaw hit or not, I'm sure he was showing effects of brain trauma.

As far as the coffee-ground emesis, no doubt. Probably from swallowing blood or an abdominal hit, or possibly he'd developed a stress ulcer. A victim of severe trauma + ibuprofen? Vomiting blood? Wonder how much ibuprofen they were pouring down little Ethan? If I'm not mistaken, those can occur fairly quickly, within the first 48 hours of a trauma. You're the critical care nurse though, I'm not so well-versed in that respect.

I would bet that little Ethan cried for his Daddy saying he wanted to go home and that is when tension in that home began to rise...NS didn't want to hear about 'Daddy' and SS wanted to punish Daddy!

(regarding that screencap, yes I also see a bruised, swollen jaw and lower lip!)
very good observation/assumption. Sloop said this about the boyfriend of his now exwife that he has a child with:

In another, Nathan Sloop allegedly threatened to kill Freeman's boyfriend "Mike," and then added, "You'll be next in line."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...red-couple-accused-in-Ethan-Stacys-death.html

I am thinking there is going to be battered woman defense here-including that he forced her to get married last week (or whatever date it what, I have seen 3 dates) so that she could not testify against him...defense will say she was taking the photos for when she had the nerve to break free...that she was in shock, any number of things.

I am not saying any jury will buy it, or should, but I see this coming, unless she takes a plea in advance in order to get him convicted on capital murder. His family and others indicating that he was violent, bound to kill someone sooner or later, will be in her favor by a good defense lawyer...just my opinion...not saying I think she is a battered woman. I know many people here have been in abusive situations and I never have, so not sure how far a woman would go or what she might do, or not do, if in a certain frame of mind.

From Nursie's link in post #143

...In their marital settlement agreement, the court prohibited Ethan's maternal grandmother and her husband from having any contacting with Ethan, Stephanie or Joe Stacy but the documents did not indicate why...

That's unusual. How odd. I hope someone here finds out why.

ETA: nurse's post 143 not 144

I will say again that I believe with all my heart that SS did not stand idly by and watch this abuse take place. That's what she wants us to think. It is difficult for us basically normal people to believe, but I think she participated. I think this was planned.

No one is "neutral" when it comes to our children being hurt. We are either made absolutely frantic by the very idea, or we're the perpetrators. She wants us to think that NS did all this stuff, and she was too scared or whatever to do anything. No. That's ridiculous.

It is truly the craziest, awfulest story I've ever heard, but I think it's probably much worse -- deliberate, premeditated torture and murder of a little child by his mother and his sf.

One thing I keep going over is the phone call. NS calls her at the store or something and says, BTW, the kid is burned now. Does he want her to come bring them to the ER? No. Does he want her to buy medicine? No. THEN WHY THE BLEEP IS HE CALLING???

MOO: He's saying to her: "You were too chicken, so I did it alone." It's like it's part of their plan.

I didn't see the video, just the screen capture but I agree with you. That's no fresh injury.

I'll also say this... that in and of itself proves to me she wasn't documenting his injuries because she was "scared" of NS.

She was taking videos of Ethan and NS having "fun". It was a home movie IOW. I could tell even from the still photo he wasn't right. Very flat.

Hitting anyone in the head, even the jaw, and especially of someone that small can still cause brain injury. Contrecoup where the brain 'bounces' off the opposite side of the skull. Jaw hit or not, I'm sure he was showing effects of brain trauma.

As far as the coffee-ground emesis, no doubt. Probably from swallowing blood or an abdominal hit, or possibly he'd developed a stress ulcer. A victim of severe trauma + ibuprofen? Vomiting blood? Wonder how much ibuprofen they were pouring down little Ethan? If I'm not mistaken, those can occur fairly quickly, within the first 48 hours of a trauma. You're the critical care nurse though, I'm not so well-versed in that respect.

bbm: I think the initial trauma happened right away and FOR SURE the prophens could have exacerbated any bleed he had going on or made it worse FOR SURE! The extra fluids they were also allegedly forcing would have completely messed with this poor little man's intercranial pressure.

those pictures she took........ if she were documenting a case of abuse=great. If she was taking them for ANY OTHER REASON= charge her because something IS NOT RIGHT.

by that point in time he would be lucky to even be able to turn his head let alone climb into a tub and turn a faucet handle.

I go back to this point: WHY did Stephaniefreakingsloop even TAKE those pictures that would incriminate her in the future???? For example: Ethan goes back home from the summer and says he was hit and than says mommy took my picture.

TWO DAYS AFTER THE JAW PICTURE they are locking him in his room while they go get freaking married. Why so early? What was the change of plans???? Why get married before the date you set on your KNOT PROFILE?

I think that early on beating was the point of no return for them and they had to keep going with it. Perhaps they thought a marriage would help them in the long run. Either way, this child was obviously beaten from the second his Daddy walked away from him... viciously and unmercifully.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first beating is what rendered the head trauma either. That picture taken on 4 May was very telling of earlier trauma and obvious signs of such (lethargy, somnolence, inanimation for a child of that age in his facial features as well as his extremeties)

I still tend to think that after the first beating he kept going downhill and that the "feces" was actually coffee ground emesis (him throwing up blood into his mouth from his upper/and or lower GI tract/abdomen being beaten).

Just another thought.. but the "scalding bath" could have been another of their methods to "wake him up" from the coma they induced. Or to wash him off.

Again I hope Stephanie Sloop is seriously looked at before tomorrow morning when charges are formally filed.

So she won't have to tesitfy against him. That is my fear.

Best case scenario, IMO; take them both off of suicide watch, put them in the GP and let true justice be served.

Both of the former spouses of Nathan and Stephanie Sloop were also fearful for the safety of their children because of the unstable behavior of their exes.

The biological father of Ethan Stacy described his ex-wife Stephanie Sloop as "unstable" and said he feared she would take their son and he'd never see him again.

The former wife of Nathan Sloop described him as mentally unstable, violent, and having multiple personalities — including one personality who becomes extremely angry when criticized. She said she feared for her life and for her daughter's life.

The divorce documents include transcripts of profanity-laced tirades that Nathan Sloop — who prosecutors plan to charge Friday with the murder of his stepson — left in a series of voice mail messages for his former wife, Jennifer Freeman, one day in September.

"I only wish now that I could (expletive) take you out of (their daughter's) life. I am going to do every (expletive) thing possible within my power to take you the (expletive) out of her life (expletive). I don't give a (expletive) if I gotta spend the rest of my (expletive) life in prison. (Expletive) you. I'm coming after your (expletive) throat," he said in one voice mail message.

Nathan Sloop left five voice mail messages in less than 20 minutes and six within 90 minutes, according to the court documents.

"He hugs my (expletive) daughter, he comes near my (expletive) daughter, he is (expletive) done. Over," one message said.

Nathan Sloop and Freeman had one daughter together. She turns 6 later this month. The daughter, who was born in Utah

much more at link

what an explosive and deadly combination that little Ethan walked into.

snipped The Sloops are expected to make an initial appearance in 2nd District Court at 1 p.m. Friday.

ella971,
I am so sorry to hear that you went through this! I am sure this case touches many nerves for you... ((((((((((((big hug)))))))))))))) and glad you are here with us

Thank You so much. It really does take me back.The picture is so heartbreaking.I had many of times like that.Drugs and alcohol never involved. Sick man and my mom afraid he would kill us both. My Mom has passed away and the step father is still living.I never saw him again after they divorced when I was 12.I'm 41.No family left except my daughter Leighton. I need to give myself a time out. I'm just so sad that they took his beautiful life from him. THEY TOOK HIS LIFE.

yes... it IS! Refer back to that bruise timeline I posted. Not to mention, in my past I have been a school nurse as well as pediatric nurse and involved in abuse cases. This bruise on the 4th of may was PURPLE AND BLACK. That means that he was hit on the left side of his jaw around 1-2 may for it to look like THAT!

Yes, his jaw could have been broken... but my GOD these people allegedly took apart his little face with a HAMMER post mortem. I would argue that it would be to disguise fractures already and previously inflicted. Sorry for them but the post mortem will be able to determine relative timing of those fractures. I am sure any of the older fractures from 1-2 may would have started the re-ossification process that all little people posses. The cellular and microscopic evidence of that would have still been there... if only in fragments-after the post mortem hammer blows.

BTW, I still need to get vetted by Tricia as a professional in my field... but I am one.. and I am headed off to do this now. I am telling you...... these are older bruises with possible fracture... and this was on 4 May.

And this throws Sloop-ma into a WHOLE different area for me if she saw this child in or around the time of injury.

BBM
be
Oh nurse, as a pharmacist I can tell you are a nurse, and a great one at that. Vetted only because Tricia has to keep people from pretending they are something they are not - and your wealth of info says it all. I sent her my license...had to show I was what I claimed to be. Great insight regarding the coffee grounds that may be from a punch in the gut - you are probably right on target. Although I do think he also had a cerebral hemorrage, we will see from the autopsy. When I used to pull up all the drugs at a trauma code, you are exactly the kind of nurse I loved to interact with. Thanks for all your professional input!

A little OT- But I just posted a thread in the Crimes in the News forum where a mother and step father have been arrested and charged with abuse of a little 3 yr old girl over a years time. This child is NOT deceased, and the mother in the Chicago case has a higher bond than SS at 400,000. Being a local, I really never thought Chicago - Cook County which is quite liberal and democratic - would be TOUGHER THAN UTAH - but wow! I guess I was wrong.

here is the thread on the Chicago- Humboldt park case if you care to read it.
Humboldt Park 3-year-old beaten, burned, whipped - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Pathetic that this judge in Utah gave such a measly bond for SS..... Shame on him or her! :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

I am thinking there is going to be battered woman defense here-including that he forced her to get married last week (or whatever date it what, I have seen 3 dates) so that she could not testify against him...defense will say she was taking the photos for when she had the nerve to break free...that she was in shock, any number of things.

I am not saying any jury will buy it, or should, but I see this coming, unless she takes a plea in advance in order to get him convicted on capital murder. His family and others indicating that he was violent, bound to kill someone sooner or later, will be in her favor by a good defense lawyer...just my opinion...not saying I think she is a battered woman. I know many people here have been in abusive situations and I never have, so not sure how far a woman would go or what she might do, or not do, if in a certain frame of mind.
I think she was planning it that way from the first hit. From her wedding page she knew of his so called dark side. She also seemed to claim that she would stand by him to the death.

Perhaps they could get matching tables and be executed at the same time? that is what I call the "garranimals" of monsters like this (matching sets memeba? http://www.skooldays.com/images/fa2134.jpg )

battered woman? I have seen fish more battered than this and they were happily drenched in flour, some egg, and a few spices. This woman was battered if I threw Zateran's deep fry spice on her but other than that I just don't buy it!

The timeline that eyes is putting together really seals it all up nicely.

So she won't have to tesitfy against him. That is my fear.

Best case scenario, IMO; take them both off of suicide watch, put them in the GP and let true justice be served.

In thread #2 some posters reviewed the UT statutes on privilideged communications, SS and NS will not be able to use their current marital status to avoid testifying against each other. Thank goodness.

Jail staffers are keeping a close eye on Nathan and Stephanie Sloop. Right now, they are separated from the general public in isolated cells. The two are not on suicide watch, but they have talked to mental health evaluators to deal with stress.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=10763286

They are under stress. BOO HOO

Just one more thing to make me FURIOUS!! :furious:

Stress.....right....stress would be letting them loose in general population. Let them know how it feels to try desperately to live!

She can give it a whirl.No way battered woman defense.NO WAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member