WA WA - Mike Emert, 40, Woodinville, 4 January 2001

So bizarre. I've been really interested in this case in the past, and had no idea it would turn out this way. I wonder if Krueger deliberately killed himself at the lake because he failed in his attempt kill his last target. And who is (who are) the person(s) who hired Krueger, and why???

I don't think the Al Kite case is connected to Krueger because the killer of Al Kite seems to have been too young (estimated at in his 40s) to be Krueger.

Eerie and bizarre.

The murder of Mike Emert has been solved to the extent that, through DNA, his murderer has been identified. The real story, however, has yet to unfold. The murderer, Gary Krueger, is an ex-Seattle PD officer who was suspected of at least two other murders and was incarcerated 2002-2007 for bank robbery. He died in 2010 during a failed home invasion. I can't find his birth date but he was in his 60's when he died.

The mystery now is motive which might come out as more of Gary Krueger's back story comes out. He is belived to be a career criminal going back to the 1970's when he left the SPD but he managed to avoid arrest until 2002. There is some speculation that he was some kind of "hit man".

According to the Social Security Death Index Interactive Search website I like to use, a Gary C. Krueger from Seattle died on March 27, 2010 and was born January 28, 1948, making him 62 years old when he died.

This case makes me wonder how many other violent criminals are walking the streets simply because of DNA testing backlogs at various crime labs.

Wonder who hired Krueger ? Probably someone local, as Krueger was local...
Who had a motive to have Mike killed ?

When Mike was killed the housing market here in the Seattle area was red hot...multiple offers and bidding wars were very common. Wonder if someone lost out on their dreamhouse,and harbored an increasing rage and resentment directed at Mike ???

Or else,as a previous poster mentioned.Mike was involved in something other than just real estate...and LE has declined to mention it...

JMO

Washington State has some of the most intriguing murderers and now Gary Krueger can be added to the list.
In addition to Mike Emert, it is believed he is responsible for:
1) The murder of Ex-cop/gas station owner Terry Dolan in February 2, 1981. Apparently Krueger was a POI all along but was never arrested for the crime
2) The 1984 stabbing of Bellevue attorney, Jim Barry February 7, 1984. Apparently Barry represented a bank in its collection efforts and Krueger owed money to that bank. Was that a motive for murder? It is not clear how Krueger was linked to the crime.
3) Onetime Seattle union boss Mario Vaccarino, 61, head of the Hotel and Restaurant Employees union Local 8, was killed Oct. 24, 1985. His body was found in a tub with running water (just like Mike Emert). Apparently Krueger told someone he did it for a friend who worked for that union and was about to be fired by Vaccarino. There is indication that that friend is now dead.
4) Cheryl Grose, missing since 1991. She simply vanished from a Tigard, Oregon hotel. Turns out her husband Tom Grose, prime suspect, was lifelong friends with Gary Krueger who was best man at their wedding. Tom Grose is currently incarcerated for an unrelated Domestic violence incident.

Krueger died during what has been called a botched home invasion. The intended victim was an orthopedic surgeon named Dr. Craig McAllister. It is not clear what Krueger and John Bradshaw, his partner in crime were up to. Home invasion suggests forcing the homeowner to open a safe or otherwise give them cash or valuables from the house. Apparently a friend of Krueger had been a patient of Dr McAllister and they had some sort of dispute. Were Krueger and Bradshaw planning to kill the Doctor?

I don't believe there is a known connection between Krueger and Emert but there presumably was some connection. Most likely someone wanted Emert dead and they knew Gary Krueger.

John Brashaw is a bit of a mystery. He was 65 in 2010. He did federal time for a 2001 Arson and Money laundering conviction. He also apparently owned a home on the west side of Pungent Sound where Krueger and his wife lived in the 1990's. Law Enforcement believes he died along with Krueger in Lake Washington but they don't know for sure. His wife filed a missing person report on him soon after the Home invasion caper went down.

The FBI is conducting an extensive investigation of Krueger and all of his connections. They are guarded about what information is released but it is obvious that Krueger is a suspect in a number of additional murders and he is believed to have other accomplices besides Bradshaw.
There has been some conjecture that Krueger was involved in the shooting of Federal Attorney Thomas Wales, who was shot to death in his Queen Anne home on Oct. 11, 2001. Krueger has no know links to Wales but that year Bradshaw was prosecuted by the Seattle office of the Dept of Justice. It is possible that Wales was involved in his prosecution but I cannot verify it. This murder differed from others linked to Krueger in that it was an assassination involving proficient marksmanship. The other murder seems to be of the more up close and personnel kind.
I think a lot more information will be coming out on this case.

Washington State has some of the most intriguing murderers and now Gary Krueger can be added to the list.
In addition to Mike Emert, it is believed he is responsible for:
1) The murder of Ex-cop/gas station owner Terry Dolan in February 2, 1981. Apparently Krueger was a POI all along but was never arrested for the crime
2) The 1984 stabbing of Bellevue attorney, Jim Barry February 7, 1984. Apparently Barry represented a bank in its collection efforts and Krueger owed money to that bank. Was that a motive for murder? It is not clear how Krueger was linked to the crime.
3) Onetime Seattle union boss Mario Vaccarino, 61, head of the Hotel and Restaurant Employees union Local 8, was killed Oct. 24, 1985. His body was found in a tub with running water (just like Mike Emert). Apparently Krueger told someone he did it for a friend who worked for that union and was about to be fired by Vaccarino. There is indication that that friend is now dead.
4) Cheryl Grose, missing since 1991. She simply vanished from a Tigard, Oregon hotel. Turns out her husband Tom Grose, prime suspect, was lifelong friends with Gary Krueger who was best man at their wedding. Tom Grose is currently incarcerated for an unrelated Domestic violence incident.

Krueger died during what has been called a botched home invasion. The intended victim was an orthopedic surgeon named Dr. Craig McAllister. It is not clear what Krueger and John Bradshaw, his partner in crime were up to. Home invasion suggests forcing the homeowner to open a safe or otherwise give them cash or valuables from the house. Apparently a friend of Krueger had been a patient of Dr McAllister and they had some sort of dispute. Were Krueger and Bradshaw planning to kill the Doctor?

I don't believe there is a known connection between Krueger and Emert but there presumably was some connection. Most likely someone wanted Emert dead and they knew Gary Krueger.
[/FON
T]
John Brashaw is a bit of a mystery. He was 65 in 2010. He did federal time for a 2001 Arson and Money laundering conviction. He also apparently owned a home on the west side of Pungent Sound where Krueger and his wife lived in the 1990's. Law Enforcement believes he died along with Krueger in Lake Washington but they don't know for sure. His wife filed a missing person report on him soon after the Home invasion caper went down.

The FBI is conducting an extensive investigation of Krueger and all of his connections. They are guarded about what information is released but it is obvious that Krueger is a suspect in a number of additional murders and he is believed to have other accomplices besides Bradshaw.
There has been some conjecture that Krueger was involved in the shooting of Federal Attorney Thomas Wales, who was shot to death in his Queen Anne home on Oct. 11, 2001. Krueger has no know links to Wales but that year Bradshaw was prosecuted by the Seattle office of the Dept of Justice. It is possible that Wales was involved in his prosecution but I cannot verify it. This murder differed from others linked to Krueger in that it was an assassination involving proficient marksmanship. The other murder seems to be of the more up close and personnel kind.
I think a lot more information will be coming out on this case.

BBM Yes, I agree..either someone who he had maybe a close and personal relationship with,or someone who felt wronged in a real estate deal ?

I remember reading a description of a person seen in Tom Wales' neighborhood, a stranger,who was walking around checking everything out...but, I think he was described as a fairly young guy..

JMO

BBM Yes, I agree..either someone who he had maybe a close and personal relationship with,or someone who felt wronged in a real estate deal ?

I remember reading a description of a person seen in Tom Wales' neighborhood, a stranger,who was walking around checking everything out...but, I think he was described as a fairly young guy..

liz b

I saw a composit of the guy seen "casing" the neighborhood
and he seemed quite young (28-35?)and didn't look anything like Krueger or Bradshaw. There is no confirmation that he was the perp however.

Whoever shot Wales was a pretty good marksman. He was shot through the window with an unusual handgun (a Russian made Makarov). The investigation came to pretty much a dead end. The Prime Suspect was someone involved in the sales of surplus Military aircraft. Wales conducted a lenthy fraud investigation against this guy but it did not result in a prosecution. The guy had a motive and was pretty made about the investigation but no link to the murder could be made.

The Wales case resemples the Emert case in that it was a deliberate planned killing yet there was no obvious motive.

I'm so glad the Mike Emert case has been solved through DNA. This case haunted my mother and I when it happened that cold, rainy day 3 miles from our own home. We talked about this case endlessly. It was very scary. When my mother sold her house in 2003, she had hired a realtor from Mike's office that knew him and his family. There was one day before we moved, she told us that Mike had put up a big fight against his attacker because the weapon punctured his fists and went up into his arms. Knowing this the last several years and now knowing his killer (Krueger) was injured and bled during the attack, Mike (knowing he wasn't going to survive) made it his mission to try and injure Krueger to leave evidence behind. And Mike succeeded!

One a positive note, the case was solved before the phasing out of the King County Police Cold Case Unit which is at the end of this 2012 year (in a few weeks) because lack of grant funding. So sad though for the other hundreds of cases still unsolved in the area. And also sad is that the police have openly admitted that the case is not solved because there is the known "unknown" personal connection between Mike and Krueger, plus the unknown motive. Police stated that (even though Krueger's DNA was found on Mike and in his car) that Kreuger still remains a "person of interest." Whatever!

Mike Emert was a realtor who was murdered by a prospective client in a house he was showing. Circumstances of the case suggested that this was a some sort of hired hit and the "client" who Mike had met but did not know, set up the showing in an isolated house where he would not be seen or heard.

The initial investigation turned up no real suspects and there did not appear to be any obvious motive. Mike appeared to be a fairly successful but otherwise ordinary realtor with no known enemies or serious rivals. The only evidence was some blood found in Mike's car that was not his. During the initial investigation, no DNA match could be found in any data base.

In 2011, a match was found that had recently been entered into CODIS. The DNA belonged to Gary Krueger, a former Seattle Cop who had done federal time for bank robbery. Unfortunately, Krueger had died the year before. He drowned in Lake Washington while trying to get away from a botched home invasion.

It turned out, Krueger was the prime suspect in no less than 4 other homicides in the Pacific North West going back to 1981. They are:

1) The murder of Ex-cop/gas station owner Terry Dolan in February 2, 1981. Apparently Krueger was a POI all along but was never arrested for the crime.

3) Onetime Seattle union boss Mario Vaccarino, 61, head of the Hotel and Restaurant Employees union Local 8, was killed Oct. 24, 1985. Apparently Krueger told someone he did it for a friend who worked for that union and was about to be fired by Vaccarino. There is indication that that friend is now dead.

4) Cheryl Grose, missing since 1991. She simply vanished from a Tigard, Oregon hotel. Turns out her husband Tom Grose, prime suspect, was lifelong friends with Gary Krueger who was best man at their wedding.

The killing of Mario Vaccarino was very similar to the killing of Mike Emert.

The FBI has been investigating other North West Cold Cases for possible ties to Krueger. The Mike Emert murder is solved to the extent it is known who killed him, but the greater mystery is the motive and the identity of the person who presumably arranged for Kreuger to do the killing.

At this point, no one has been identified who either had a motive to want Mike gone nor has anyone with ties to Mike been linked to Krueger. However, It is most probable that there was somebody out there with the motive and connections. It seems clear that Mike was specifically targeted and someone like Krueger doesn't just commit a random murder but you never know.

It is a pretty good guess that the FBI has been going through Mike's family, personal and business life looking for that connection that will pull this case together.

http://www.seattleweekly.com/home/937125-129/crimepunishment

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back