Desert pictures

Maybe it's just me, but these pictures look like they're from a beach to me. Not the desert. There are beach chairs in the picture and the girls are putting their shoes back on like they just came up from walking barefoot along the beach. Also, this picture from the Seattle connection goes with it, which clearly shows a male figure with a towel heading down to the beach. So I think they're in the sand dunes above a beach, anyone else? Does anyone recognize this beach?

I wouldn't say sand dunes -- more like a rocky, dusty cliff.

Beaches can be at lakes or reservoirs as well as the ocean. The vegetation in the picture that includes the parking lot doesn't look like oceanside vegetation, either east coast or west.

I wouldn't say sand dunes -- more like a rocky, dusty cliff.

Beaches can be at lakes or reservoirs as well as the ocean. The vegetation in the picture that includes the parking lot doesn't look like oceanside vegetation, either east coast or west.
Yes, and I believe that one of the pictures in this 'series' clearly shows what looks to be a lake in the background. (The picture with the female in the blue shirt in the forefront).

There are pictures taken both at beaches and lakes in this collection. I guess it's just me, the steps actually remind of a beach I've been to, where we had to park up above and then take the steps down, but I can't put my finger on it.

Last one for tonight. I think these three go together, though I don't have any suggestion as to who the two women might be. The background looks very much like a place I visited in Wyoming years ago, but I can't find a picture of it anywhere.

There are a couple of women missing from that area in the right time frame. Carlene Brown and Christy Gross, both 19 at the time, went missing from a rodeo in Rawlins in 1974. Christy's body was found a few miles away almost 10 years later; Carlene has never been found. I couldn't find a picture of Christy anywhere, but I'm attaching Carlene.

They do look alike

There are pictures taken both at beaches and lakes in this collection. I guess it's just me, the steps actually remind of a beach I've been to, where we had to park up above and then take the steps down, but I can't put my finger on it.

There are a number of beach accesses similar to these steps in southern California. I used to spend my summers near San Diego and there were some access points that had parking above the beach. As most of the beach front in California is privately owned (not the actual beach, but the property leading up to high tide or was in the 1970s I believe) , you had to access the beach in public access points. Torrey Pines near Del Mar, has (or had) and parking lot across from the beach. It wasn't on a cliff, but you had to cross the road to get to the beach. They have places like this in Oregon where you have to climb down to the beach too.

kz3dwy-kz3dwc0093.jpg

kz3d6o-kz3d5r0017.jpg

kz3dq7-kz3dsl0066.jpg

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/alcala-238591-women-murphy.html

Who wears long sleeves to the beach, especially in the summer? And these girls are well tanned, which says to me they don't normally wear turtlenecked long sleeved shirts. They were both wearing long sleeves. They struck me as going for a hike rather than going to the beach, and maybe winter time in CA??

It can be cold at the beach if it is windy. I lived in northern Calif. for a number of years and it was always cold at the beach, too cold to swim or anything.

Heck they're dressed too cool for Oregon Beaches other than possibly the month of August. :)

While we definitely see some very hot temperatures at the beach, most of the time the beach can be a very cool, if not outright chilly, location. In So CA, we have something called "June Gloom" where most of the days start off with cloud banks covering everything through downtown generally through midday, and often the beaches don't get sunny at all. It's definitely not unheard of to wear a long sleeved top over a bathing suit here for May, June, and likely some of September and October.

I am familiar with the beaches and deserts of southern Ca, having lived here my entire life. Those steps down to the beach, and the "road" from a parking area down to the surf are fairly common. Just north of Santa Monica the shore gets craggy and cliff-y, and if you drive along Pacific Coast Highway, there are many places that have parking areas and then steps down to a beach.

The sand itself is too white and too...'beachy'...(sorry, I can't think of a better way to say it) for this to be desert, and the shrubbery is also something which can easily be found at the coastline. The man in one of the photos is wearing swim trunks, covered by a shirt, and the chairs next to the ladies are very common beach chairs; they fold small enough to fit into most car backseats or trunks.

Alcala was known to frequent the beaches, wasn't he? I mean, Julie J, and lots of beach photos were taken. And he was in Los Angeles at several different points for relatively long stretches of periods.

I think that these photos were taken probably just north of Santa Monica, in the 20-30 or so mile stretch between SM and Ventura county lines, at the beach.

Best-
Herding Cats

While we definitely see some very hot temperatures at the beach, most of the time the beach can be a very cool, if not outright chilly, location. In So CA, we have something called "June Gloom" where most of the days start off with cloud banks covering everything through downtown generally through midday, and often the beaches don't get sunny at all. It's definitely not unheard of to wear a long sleeved top over a bathing suit here for May, June, and likely some of September and October.

I am familiar with the beaches and deserts of southern Ca, having lived here my entire life. Those steps down to the beach, and the "road" from a parking area down to the surf are fairly common. Just north of Santa Monica the shore gets craggy and cliff-y, and if you drive along Pacific Coast Highway, there are many places that have parking areas and then steps down to a beach.

The sand itself is too white and too...'beachy'...(sorry, I can't think of a better way to say it) for this to be desert, and the shrubbery is also something which can easily be found at the coastline. The man in one of the photos is wearing swim trunks, covered by a shirt, and the chairs next to the ladies are very common beach chairs; they fold small enough to fit into most car backseats or trunks.

Alcala was known to frequent the beaches, wasn't he? I mean, Julie J, and lots of beach photos were taken. And he was in Los Angeles at several different points for relatively long stretches of periods.

I think that these photos were taken probably just north of Santa Monica, in the 20-30 or so mile stretch between SM and Ventura county lines, at the beach.

Best-
Herding Cats

I know what you mean about the sand being "beachy," but I've seen similar sands at lake and reservoir beaches across the great basin.

Do you know if any of the Santa Monica/Ventura county beaches were nude beaches in the late 60s and early 70s?

Yes, there were definitely nude beaches (and still are, I'll venture to bet). I don't know which ones, though...and I do know a lot of folks didn't care if it was a "nude" beach, and would sunbathe and swim without clothes at the 'normal' beaches (except for well patrolled ones like Santa Monica, for example).

In doing some research on Alcala, he frequented Huntington Beach on a regular basis; also, Santa Monica and Venice. He was quite familiar with the local boardwalks and where there were women in bikini's rollerskating and hanging out. There was some info I dug up about two women he approached the day before Robin Samsoe was abducted at the same place Samsoe was taken from - Huntington Beach pier (14th street).

It seems he was able to easily access the beaches in that particular stretch of shore...so I'm pretty sure that the photos here (and of the woman in the blue shirt) were taken at one of the local beaches. We don't have a lot of reservoires, and lakes are few and far between; neither of the lakes I can think of off the top of my head have the sort of sand I see in the photos (Lake Elsinore {which also may tie into Alcala's skydiving} and Castaic Lake).

I'll see if I can't narrow down some nude beaches for you tomorrow...

Best-
Herding Cats

Yes, there were definitely nude beaches (and still are, I'll venture to bet). I don't know which ones, though...and I do know a lot of folks didn't care if it was a "nude" beach, and would sunbathe and swim without clothes at the 'normal' beaches (except for well patrolled ones like Santa Monica, for example).

In doing some research on Alcala, he frequented Huntington Beach on a regular basis; also, Santa Monica and Venice. He was quite familiar with the local boardwalks and where there were women in bikini's rollerskating and hanging out. There was some info I dug up about two women he approached the day before Robin Samsoe was abducted at the same place Samsoe was taken from - Huntington Beach pier (14th street).

It seems he was able to easily access the beaches in that particular stretch of shore...so I'm pretty sure that the photos here (and of the woman in the blue shirt) were taken at one of the local beaches. We don't have a lot of reservoires, and lakes are few and far between; neither of the lakes I can think of off the top of my head have the sort of sand I see in the photos (Lake Elsinore {which also may tie into Alcala's skydiving} and Castaic Lake).

I'll see if I can't narrow down some nude beaches for you tomorrow...

Best-
Herding Cats

I thought of nude beaches because at least two of the women (the ones with the musical instruments) appear to be nude at the beach...

I've been able to verify that there were at least two nude beaches in the 70s - Malibu, and Venice. However, in the 90s (I believe), nudity at beaches in Los Angeles was outlawed. There are many coves and secluded beaches where nudity still continues (at least, topless) without harassment from the Sheriff's office, but they are not the main, "popular" beaches of the Los Angeles area.

Best-
Herding Cats

I would imagine that a photographer at a nude beach would not be too popular. Maybe that's why the woman with the musical instrument was frowning.

I too thought this looked like a beach area. HOWEVER, here's what I cannot find. A path that goes to a beach with "cement" or "concrete" slabs. Most all the beach paths I've googled up are made of sand compressed within a board (like a RR tie). I think the cement/concrete/rock slab steps are a clue to figuring out where this is, but I've had zero luck trying to find such a place.

I too thought this looked like a beach area. HOWEVER, here's what I cannot find. A path that goes to a beach with "cement" or "concrete" slabs. Most all the beach paths I've googled up are made of sand compressed within a board (like a RR tie). I think the cement/concrete/rock slab steps are a clue to figuring out where this is, but I've had zero luck trying to find such a place.
When I looked at the stairs in the blown up picture file, I couldnt positively say that the stairs are concrete. They could be a very weathered rail road tie covered in worn creosote. There is a nail on one one end. could be rebar though. could be. just sayin'. M O O

Stairs to the beach can be found:
20300 Pacific Coast Highway
19900 Pacific Coast Highway
Will Rogers State Beach (PCH)
(http://www.usc.edu/org/seagrant/beach/map3.html)

Will Rogers has "sandy beach" (icon), "stairs" (icon), "Parking/Fee" (icon), and quite a few other things which would make it a popular beach.

Best-
Herding Cats

Are they rock or cement? I spent hours googling pictures of paths to beaches and I found zero that were slabs, not in images and not in descriptions. Hope someone else has more luck, cuz I think rock slabs at a coastal beach may be unusual, which also makes me wonder if indeed it is at a mountainous lake area somewhere where rock like that may be plentiful???

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back