FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the things I learned yesterday from talking to locals is that, apparently, there is quite a drug situation in that neighborhood. One woman I spoke with had recently moved from the neighborhood because (as she put it) it had become a very "scary" place to raise her children (due to the drugs). She was insistent that the sole reason she moved was for safety reasons.

Now, having said that, I searched through the woods yesterday. I spent the day searching with the Navy so we were given some of the roughest terrain and some of the "hot spots" so to speak since we were more trained than the general public. I did not see ONE thing related to drugs. No needles, no bottles, nothing. Having been on several other searches, I can say that I HAVE found those things on other searches.

Does that mean there is not a drug problem in that neighborhood? No. It just means that I didn't see anything so I am taking this particular woman's story with a grain of salt. The one thing that does stick with me is that she insisted that the only reason she moved was to get away from the "dangers" in that neighborhood. Was she embellishing her story? Maybe. But, maybe not.

I met amazing people yesterday. Kind, generous people. Moms with babies in strollers. People on virtually every street corner handing out flyers. I didn't see a "drug neighborhood" but we never know what lurks in the darkness (or, in Somer's case, the bright sunlight). I also don't know what a "drug neighborhood" looks like. There are news stories on all the time about meth labs inside homes in neighborhoods that look just like yours and mine.

One sad story that I will share: One of my teammates was in a truck (we took pickup trucks loaded with people to each search location) and they were stopped at an intersection. A young girl with a fistful of flyers approached them. When she realized that they were searchers she said, "Thank you for what you are doing. Somer is my best friend." I can't even type it without crying.

I also hugged my kids extra tight yesterday. My son's Birthday is Apr.14, one day before Somer's. I will always think of her on her Birthday.

These tragedies touch our lives, that's for sure. And we never forget these innocent ones, even though we never knew them.

I am a former resident of Upstate New York but have been living here in beautiful Alabama for almost 4 years. When I first moved here I was startled to hear a knock on my door at least once a week, peeking out the window I never opened the door because I thought it was someone selling something but( they always had papers in their hands). One day I finally opened the door and it was concerned citizens handing out fliers of all the sexual predators in my community! Their faces and addresses large as life on the printed page. I couldn't believe how serious these people were about making parents like myself aware of the dangers that these predators impose.

I can't always catch every newscast and I don't always have time to read the paper but when a group of parents band together to meet and knock on doors for the purpose of informing other parents and keeping our children safe, I think there is a chance for hope. If our lawmakers won't keep these predators under lock and key there is something we can do. Awareness, communication and notification is how we can attempt to solve this injustice. Instead of handing out fliers with pictures of a missing child, I for one, will be handing out fliers of predators in my own neighborhood and other neighborhoods around me. Enough is enough and I have to do something. I am going to locate the parents that already do this in my community and offer my able body and find out how I can help. God Bless Somer and all these children that touch my heart.

Great post Elle!! I whizzed right past it in my emotional state. That is exactly what I meant in my previous post about taking a stance and coming together to do something. Awesome idea!!

One of the things I learned yesterday from talking to locals is that, apparently, there is quite a drug situation in that neighborhood. One woman I spoke with had recently moved from the neighborhood because (as she put it) it had become a very "scary" place to raise her children (due to the drugs). She was insistent that the sole reason she moved was for safety reasons.

Now, having said that, I searched through the woods yesterday. I spent the day searching with the Navy so we were given some of the roughest terrain and some of the "hot spots" so to speak since we were more trained than the general public. I did not see ONE thing related to drugs. No needles, no bottles, nothing. Having been on several other searches, I can say that I HAVE found those things on other searches.

Does that mean there is not a drug problem in that neighborhood? No. It just means that I didn't see anything so I am taking this particular woman's story with a grain of salt. The one thing that does stick with me is that she insisted that the only reason she moved was to get away from the "dangers" in that neighborhood. Was she embellishing her story? Maybe. But, maybe not.

I met amazing people yesterday. Kind, generous people. Moms with babies in strollers. People on virtually every street corner handing out flyers. I didn't see a "drug neighborhood" but we never know what lurks in the darkness (or, in Somer's case, the bright sunlight). I also don't know what a "drug neighborhood" looks like. There are news stories on all the time about meth labs inside homes in neighborhoods that look just like yours and mine.

One sad story that I will share: One of my teammates was in a truck (we took pickup trucks loaded with people to each search location) and they were stopped at an intersection. A young girl with a fistful of flyers approached them. When she realized that they were searchers she said, "Thank you for what you are doing. Somer is my best friend." I can't even type it without crying.

Wow. Thanks for this post. That last paragraph brought tears to my eyes.

Okay, maybe it's me, but why does it bug me that I don't see the BF at the vigils???
It's not you. I am also wondering why he hasn't attended the vigil. Makes me think of DE in the Robert Manwill case. Hiding from Media.

How do you explain this to all of her friends??? They are 7!!!
I hope and pray the school system brings in some guidance conselors to talk to the kids. I'm sure they will. I hope the parents are patient and think about what they will say to the children before they say it. And, I hope they are not talking to each other in front of children about things the children don't need to hear.
I always think about that.
While most of us are informed and try to do the best for our children, some people just don't get it.
I pray for all of Somer's friends. I hope they are informed of what they need to know but sheltered from the horrid details.

How do you explain this to all of her friends??? They are 7!!!
I hope and pray the school system brings in some guidance conselors to talk to the kids. I'm sure they will. I hope the parents are patient and think about what they will say to the children before they say it. And, I hope they are not talking to each other in front of children about things the children don't need to hear.
I always think about that.
While most of us are informed and try to do the best for our children, some people just don't get it.
I pray for all of Somer's friends. I hope they are informed of what they need to know but sheltered from the horrid details.

As a former first grade and K teacher, discussing Somer's passing is going to be very hard to handle in the classroom--I feel for Somer's siblings, her family, her classmates and friends and her school community. I hope the school/homeroom teachers provide resources to students and families in dealing with a tragedy that affects the whole community from the top down. As tragic as Somer's death is, it is also important to reiterate safety rules to students. The more students and families who receive education in child safety procedure (never walk alone, have a family password that only family knows when someone attempts to give child a ride home etc., tell an adult if someone touches you inappropriately etc.) perhaps the more opportunities some of these children will have to return home safely. While we would all like to see every SO and unsavory character off the streets, they are out there and teaching kids how to react could possibly be the difference between life and death. Just so sad that beautiful children like Somer are taken away from the world at such a young age.

OT:

There is another missing child. Elizabeth Olten, age 9. Reported missing last night.

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90592"]MO Missing - Elizabeth Olten, 9 years old - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Rest in peace pretty little girl Somer.This is very sad.I pray they catch her killer and this person or persons do go to prison because of this and justice for this pretty little girl is quick.They do not like sex offenders in Jail if she was assaulted.I remember fighting with people many years ago in the school system in Jacksonville to change the rules that all elementary school children need to ride the bus.They are just too little to defend themselves and it's just wrong and unsafe to have your children walk that far.I walked my children back then and I do now.But it's not always possible to do ths.Do I have to fear the one day I don't walk my children to school something will happen to them?That's wrong and the school board needs to be held accountable.This makes me very mad.I hope and pray people are writting and calling the school boards and pretty much demanding a change and having the bus pick up especially elementary school children in all schools in the united states and at least take that situation away so predators do not touch our children and keep them safe.Rest in peace pretty little somer.Fly Somer fly.I'm so sorry this happened to you.

it was reported she was identified by her clothes and birthmark....were they not able to recognize her?

I started a memorial thread for Somer and her family in the Parking Lot. Please visit and post your condolences!:angel:

ITA - I have an 11 year old daughter and I hate for her to be in the front yard!!
I'll be honest, I check on her out the window every few minutes.
Think back to Jaycee, she was 11 and was catching the bus not far from her house. Her step dad was watching out the window and she was still abducted. Like TM said, if they want the children, they will get them.
The only way I can see this stopping is if every parent stays within 10 feet of their children at all times. We all know this is just not possible. But, elem students should not be walking to and from school IMO even if it's 2 blocks.
SO's target school areas because they are easy. You can have all the written laws in the books about them staying a certain # of feet away from schools but that will not stop them. As adults, we need to be more proactive and diligent around schools. A crossguard or two is not enough adult supervision for our children. IMO
I feel for the parents who have to work and not be there to walk children to and from school. Maybe schools need to have an organized group, somewhat like a PTO or PTA that does duty before and after school.
I would be willing to stand on a corner to watch. If you had an adult on every corner of the area children were expected to walk to and from school, they would be much safer.
We can not put all the blame on the schools. As adults that love our children and other children, we need to take a stand and make sure the children are safe. IMO

it was reported she was identified by her clothes and birthmark....were they not able to recognize her?

I think maybe Le or the mother identified the clothes and birthmarks. Instead of the mother having to id her babies body. JMO

I hear the calls for the death penalty and castration. I'm against castration unless they actually cut something off. These days they do chemical castration, no real fear there.
I would like to see them all killed and swiftly, but I know its not going to happen. Everyone stop and look around, our judicial systems have long been taken over by liberal judges. We are living in times that are dangerous.
I would opt for a small area of containment in Antartica, where it would be impossible to escape before freezing to death. They could develop a polar bear breeding center there also. In and out only by helicopter. This would be for life. Jmo

Good morning, Granny. I hear ya...but...what good is any kind of castration, be it chemical or surgical, when these perps still have other appendages? Castration will only make them use their fingers, toes, tongues, etc. I say death to all - plain & simple...as long as it's proven beyond any reasonable doubt. As far as dropping them off in Antarctica, I say push them out of a plane at 50K feet - let 'em fall where they may...then again, I wouldn't want the wildlife to become contaminated by feeding off of these diseased scum!

IMO, I don't believe Somer's mother was brought to the landfill to identify Somer. The Sheriff indicated that he called Somer's mother to tell her that it is Somer. More then likely the description of what Somer was wearing was identified as well as where the birthmark is located was confirmed by Somer's mother. The clothes would remain with Somer and brought to the Coroner's Office and then the clothing would be photographed while still on Somer, and then removed and placed in evidence bags and released to LE.

Thank you for searching for Somer. God bless you for getting out and doing something! I use to live very very close to this area and drove it alot to bypass traffic. I know that this side of Orange Park does have a drug problem. I had adopted a teenager from my neighborhood who neither parent wanted and they let him do whatever he wanted to do. They did not care. He was addicted to drugs. His dealer lives right off Gano. I had countless nights of draggin him away from there. But it is not just that area. Across Blanding there is a Krystals (or use it be not sure if it is still there) and some apartments behind that. There happens to be a police station there too. The police have to go through this complex to go in the gate in the back for the station. This place is VERY bad with drugs. I had a dealer living right next door as well as 2 right above me! I loved living in Orange Park but I was so glad to move away from all the drug activity in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong