Theories

There is very little known about the girls disappearance. As a consequence, there is a wide variety of posibility when it comes to theories as to what happened. Going with the evidence is probably the best route. Without evidence, speculation often takes over.

Possibilities cover a wide spectrum, but when considering various possibilities, one has to also consider Probability.

For example, the girls probably left Wheaton Plaza early in the afternoon, 25 March 1975. They could have left by way of many different possible exits, but the more probable exits would be those closer to their home.

There might have been several possible routes home they could have taken, but their usually traveled route would be the more likely.

Taking a theory further, one has to consider not only what is possible but also what is probable - and where ever possible to base it on known factors.

Without a suspect, one has the problem of working strictly with reason, deduction, and generality. If you take a named Person of Interest and throw them into the mix as a potential suspect, then you have to consider that particular person, his/her patterns, personality, Modus Operandi, resources, etc.

Richard, do you know if LE has identified the company (store, bank, business) that Richard "Dick" Welch worked for in the capacity of a security guard in the Wheaton, Md area during the 1970's? I ask because I have thought about the possibly of it having been a bank or credit union. In those days, banks held strict hours of operation, usually 8:00 am-2:00 pm. This would mean that Dick Welch's work day ended at 2 pm and that would allow him to be at Wheaton Plaza in the afternoon on a weekday. The Lyon sisters' disappeared (abducted), on a Tuesday, (March 25th, 1975) most likely in the afternoon. The last family member to have seen them, I believe, was their older brother, Jay, who I believe, reported seeing his sisters at Wheaton Plaza in or near the Orange Bowl Pizza place around 1:00 pm. Does that sound familiar to you?

Richard, do you know if LE has identified the company (store, bank, business) that Richard "Dick" Welch worked for in the capacity of a security guard in the Wheaton, Md area during the 1970's? I ask because I have thought about the possibly of it having been a bank or credit union. In those days, banks held strict hours of operation, usually 8:00 am-2:00 pm. This would mean that Dick Welch's work day ended at 2 pm and that would allow him to be at Wheaton Plaza in the afternoon on a weekday. The Lyon sisters' disappeared (abducted), on a Tuesday, (March 25th, 1975) most likely in the afternoon. The last family member to have seen them, I believe, was their older brother, Jay, who I believe, reported seeing his sisters at Wheaton Plaza in or near the Orange Bowl Pizza place around 1:00 pm. Does that sound familiar to you?

LE may well know who Richard Welch worked for, but they have not released that information if they have it. Another poster on these threads stated that he worked as a security guard for the Giant grocery store which was located adjacent to or near the Wheaton Plaza mall.

The uniform worn by R. Welch in the photo with Santa Claus is not one that I recognize as being from one of the larger established Security Agencies such as Pinkertons, Burns, Brinks, or Wells Fargo. Those companies had uniforms which looked much more like police uniforms of the era with wool serge trousers and blouses (coats) trouser stripes and piping of a contrasting color, Sam Browne belts, 8 point caps, and shoulder patches on coats and shirts.

The uniform worn by Welch in the photo appears more like a military type uniform with olive drab trousers and cap, khaki shirt and black tie. The cap is round rather than 8 point style. The badge is not like any of those worn by the named security agencies.

Regarding guard shifts, it would be hard to speculate because guard companies had overlapping shifts if it was a large operation, such as mall security - which might employ a force of about 16 guards. A smaller operation might involve a more predictable schedule.

Yes, it has been stated that Jay Lyon was the last family member to have seen hsi sisters, Sheila and Kate. However, he saw them near Mall Center where the Easter Bunny display was - NOT at the Orange Bowl.

The story of "Jay seeing his sisters eating pizza at the Orange Bowl" Is a bit of fiction by a news reporter who spliced together separate factors from second hand sources:
- Jay did see his sisters at the mall that day
- Another boy "Jimmy" and his friend saw the girls near the Orange Bowl talking to TRM
- The girls told their mother that they INTENDED to eat at the Orange Bowl pizza take out shop.

Unfortunately that story has been perpetuated by numerous internet sites.

LE may well know who Richard Welch worked for, but they have not released that information if they have it. Another poster on these threads stated that he worked as a security guard for the Giant grocery store which was located adjacent to or near the Wheaton Plaza mall.

The uniform worn by R. Welch in the photo with Santa Claus is not one that I recognize as being from one of the larger established Security Agencies such as Pinkertons, Burns, Brinks, or Wells Fargo. Those companies had uniforms which looked much more like police uniforms of the era with wool serge trousers and blouses (coats) trouser stripes and piping of a contrasting color, Sam Browne belts, 8 point caps, and shoulder patches on coats and shirts.

The uniform worn by Welch in the photo appears more like a military type uniform with olive drab trousers and cap, khaki shirt and black tie. The cap is round rather than 8 point style. The badge is not like any of those worn by the named security agencies.

Regarding guard shifts, it would be hard to speculate because guard companies had overlapping shifts if it was a large operation, such as mall security - which might employ a force of about 16 guards. A smaller operation might involve a more predictable schedule.

Yes, it has been stated that Jay Lyon was the last family member to have seen hsi sisters, Sheila and Kate. However, he saw them near Mall Center where the Easter Bunny display was - NOT at the Orange Bowl.

The story of "Jay seeing his sisters eating pizza at the Orange Bowl" Is a bit of fiction by a news reporter who spliced together separate factors from second hand sources:
- Jay did see his sisters at the mall that day
- Another boy "Jimmy" and his friend saw the girls near the Orange Bowl talking to TRM
- The girls told their mother that they INTENDED to eat at the Orange Bowl pizza take out shop.

Unfortunately that story has been perpetuated by numerous internet sites.

Richard, do you think it possible that RAW could have actually been a security guard for and at Wheaton Plaza? Is there any way to know what the uniforms for those security guards looked like in the '70's?

Richard, do you think it possible that RAW could have actually been a security guard for and at Wheaton Plaza? Is there any way to know what the uniforms for those security guards looked like in the '70's?

I do not know if Richard Welch was ever a security guard employed by Wheaton Plaza mall to patrol the shopping center. Someone has stated that he was employed by the Giant supermarket at or near the mall, but I cannot verify that personally.

I also do not know what the exact command structure was for the Wheaton Plaza security force. They did, in fact, have security guards in 1975, but whether they were specifically employed by Wheaton Plaza management, or contracted from a large Security company, I do not know for certain.

They could have had a security manager on the staff of the Company who owned and managed Wheaton Plaza with a guard force of employees working directly for him, or could have contracted with a firm like Pinkertons or Burns to supply the guards. Or they might have had a mix of the two: some direct hires and others supplied by the Security company.

Montgomery County Police were trying to learn more about the 1975 Wheaton Plaza Security Force back in February 2014 when they gave a joint press conference with the FBI on the Lyon case.

Photos taken at Wheaton Plaza in the late 1960's or early 1970's show security guards dressed in what appears to be dark blue police type uniforms (black and white photos) of that era.

A similar shopping center, Iverson Mall is/was located in Marlow Heights, Prince Georges County, Maryland. In April 1975, their security force was mentioned in Washington Post articles about the search for the Tape Recorder Man. TRM or someone resembling the sketch released by MCP had been reportedly seen at Iverson Mall and adjacent Marlow Heights Shopping Center as well.

Iverson Mall had a Captain of Security, Charles Goddard, who was in charge of a force of 16 security guards. He was interviewed by the Washington Post regarding a meeting he had with MCP officers who briefed him on the case.

I do not know if Richard Welch was ever a security guard employed by Wheaton Plaza mall to patrol the shopping center. Someone has stated that he was employed by the Giant supermarket at or near the mall, but I cannot verify that personally.

I also do not know what the exact command structure was for the Wheaton Plaza security force. They did, in fact, have security guards in 1975, but whether they were specifically employed by Wheaton Plaza management, or contracted from a large Security company, I do not know for certain.

They could have had a security manager on the staff of the Company who owned and managed Wheaton Plaza with a guard force of employees working directly for him, or could have contracted with a firm like Pinkertons or Burns to supply the guards. Or they might have had a mix of the two: some direct hires and others supplied by the Security company.

Montgomery County Police were trying to learn more about the 1975 Wheaton Plaza Security Force back in February 2014 when they gave a joint press conference with the FBI on the Lyon case.

Photos taken at Wheaton Plaza in the late 1960's or early 1970's show security guards dressed in what appears to be dark blue police type uniforms (black and white photos) of that era.

A similar shopping center, Iverson Mall is/was located in Marlow Heights, Prince Georges County, Maryland. In April 1975, their security force was mentioned in Washington Post articles about the search for the Tape Recorder Man. TRM or someone resembling the sketch released by MCP had been reportedly seen at Iverson Mall and adjacent Marlow Heights Shopping Center as well.

Iverson Mall had a Captain of Security, Charles Goddard, who was in charge of a force of 16 security guards. He was interviewed by the Washington Post regarding a meeting he had with MCP officers who briefed him on the case.

Richard,
the news confrence held in Bedford County, Va just ended several minutes ago. WTOP just reported on the internet that the second POI, Richard Welch ("Dick") was a security guard at Wheaton Plaza when the girls went missing. If this is indeed a fact, how does that change theories you may have about the circumstances of the girls disappearance?

Richard,
the news confrence held in Bedford County, Va just ended several minutes ago. WTOP just reported on the internet that the second POI, Richard Welch ("Dick") was a security guard at Wheaton Plaza when the girls went missing. If this is indeed a fact, how does that change theories you may have about the circumstances of the girls disappearance?

What other facts were released at the press conference? It certainly sounds like LE has finally learned something regarding Richard Welch's employment as a security guard, but do they actually place him at the scene on that specific day?

I do not have any specific theory regarding how or when the Lyon sisters disappeared, other than I have always felt that they were abducted that afternoon. I have in the past felt that the primary site of the abduction would have been from the parking lot of Wheaton Plaza, and that a secondary possible site would have been from the neighborhood of Kensington, possibly near the intersection of Drumm and McComas.

It would be necessary to know for certain if Richard Welch was at Wheaton Plaza on 25 March 1975, whether or not he was working and what his hours were in order to develop a theory which involves him in an abduction of the Lyon sisters.

If the girls were taken close to the Shopping Center or the parking lot, one would have to reconcile a later reported sighting of the girls near Drumm and Devin streets. Any theory would also have to consider possible involvement of the Tape Recorder Man, The Long Haired Man, Lloyd Welch, and possibly others mentioned over the past 40 years.

Also, if Richard Welch was indeed the abductor, what was his motivation, his plan, etc. And was this a one time thing, or part of a series of similar crimes before and after?

The WTOP report just parenthetically mentions that Richard Welch was a security guard at the Mall, but doesn't indicate that this was alleged at today's press conference. I wouldn't assign a high degree of credibility to that parenthetical remark, which otherwise would be a significant piece of news.

That factoid (which is how I'd refer to it at this point) was not reported by the Hyattsville Life & Times, which had two reporters listening to the press conference and has followed the story closely. Here is their report:

http://hyattsvillelife.com/fbi-conducting-forensic-dig-in-lyon-sisters-investigation/

The WTOP report just parenthetically mentions that Richard Welch was a security guard at the Mall, but doesn't indicate that this was alleged at today's press conference. I wouldn't assign a high degree of credibility to that parenthetical remark, which otherwise would be a significant piece of news....

Thanks for the link. I was only responding to the question asked by Historydetective in my post. At that time I could not find any websites which carried the investigators remarks. As with all press conferences, each reporter takes away his or her own take on what was said.

Having read some of the links and the investigators quoted remarks, I tend to agree with you that the bit about Richard Welch being a security guard was simply a reitteration of investigator statements from previous press conferences.

I stand by my earlier post, however, regarding information necessary in forming a valid theory or attempting to answer the open questions in this 40 year old investigation.

Not every factor is necessarily a direct factor in what actually happened, but each factor introduces questions which beg answers. This is important not only in determining what actually happened, but also to eliminate any reasonable doubts which might hamper any subsequent prosecutions.

For example, if a case is to be made against a specific person or persons, various factors which might cast doubt on their guilt, or which might indicate that someone else was involved must be addressed and reasonable answers to those questions/doubts must be presented.

40 years on 25mar and no MD news outles even covered it how disgraceful. My theory is strictly speculation and my own opinion. TRM is the person that kidnapped the Lyon sisters he somehow got them in the car with some kind of ruse. I beleive he is not local to MD but for whatever reason he picked Wheaton Plaza and the sister were at the wrong place at the wrong time. I believe he quickly left the area and that is the prime reason no one came forward when the sketch was released to say that they recognized him. I fear he killed shortly after 25March. I also believe that he is no longer living reason being he never told anyone of his involvement in this crime or if he did no one came forward. MHO!!!

40 years on 25mar and no MD news outles even covered it how disgraceful. My theory is strictly speculation and my own opinion. TRM is the person that kidnapped the Lyon sisters he somehow got them in the car with some kind of ruse. I beleive he is not local to MD but for whatever reason he picked Wheaton Plaza and the sister were at the wrong place at the wrong time. I believe he quickly left the area and that is the prime reason no one came forward when the sketch was released to say that they recognized him. I fear he killed shortly after 25March. I also believe that he is no longer living reason being he never told anyone of his involvement in this crime or if he did no one came forward. MHO!!!

The police know who kidnapped the girls and it was not TRM.

The question is... what mind could fall into, what mind could conceive of doing such great damage to two little sisters who were only going to have lunch... there are no words... I just hope that the terror they felt when they were abused and murdered I can let them rest in peace..
wherever they are, the lyon sisters are fine, they are already angels...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back