Two 4 year old boys severly injured in two seperate dog attacks

imthemom

Reaction score
http://www.week.com/news/local/17363289.html
Two area boys are recovering in a hospital after two separate dog attacks over the weekend. James Blair the third needed 150 stitches and suffered a hairline skull fracture.

This happened over the weekend here in our area. I hope the boys recover with minimal scars. Just a reminder to never leave kids and pets unattended. These were family pets. One Rott and lab and the other two were American bulldogs. Note no pits in these incidents and we do have a lot of pitt bulls here in Peoria.

Oh, perfect for the media to show a pittie in the photo accompanying the story, however. Such sensationalism.

Boo on the press for showing a PB when it wasn't even a PB involved in either attack.

Yea for the shelter rep who said.

In the summer, the animal shelter will have up to 50 bite cases a month, and that's in Tazewell County alone. Marshall says never leave a child alone with a family pet.
He said, "The larger the dog the more damage but all dogs will bite, you have to supervise kids around all dogs from a little chihuahua up to a great dane. Every of them will bite you, you have to be very careful with them."

I have been around PB's, rotties, dobies and little dogs and the only ones that ever bit me were a pom and a chi.

When I was a toddler just learning to walk I fell on our family dog, a collie mix. She bit me on the face and I have the scar to this day. My folks gave her away. It didn't keep me from loving dogs and I have always had one, sometimes two.
I hope this doesn't adversely affect the boys and I hope they don't become cruel to dogs because of it. It's all how the parents handle this now.

Hi Panglossian. Your tale is an oft heard tale in the rescue community. What people with dogs need to realize is that when the kids are small the dog will usually be very protective of the kids and when the kids get older they will also be protective, but when I child is first learning to walk and gets to the point where they are eye to eye with a dog then the dog can see the kid as a threat to his/her place in the pack order and will do what she/he would do to a young pup coming up in the ranks and that is snap at there snout/nose to say 'hey back off dude I was here first'. If you are gonna have a dog learn about them don't just think awwww cute cuddly fuzzy wuzzy and then give it away the first time it acts like a dog instead of a stuffed animal on 4 legs. Heck learn about any pet before you get one...dog, cat, bunny, just educate yourself. Just my :twocents: .

Boo on the press for showing a PB when it wasn't even a PB involved in either attack.

Yea for the shelter rep who said.

In the summer, the animal shelter will have up to 50 bite cases a month, and that's in Tazewell County alone. Marshall says never leave a child alone with a family pet.
He said, "The larger the dog the more damage but all dogs will bite, you have to supervise kids around all dogs from a little chihuahua up to a great dane. Every of them will bite you, you have to be very careful with them."

I have been around PB's, rotties, dobies and little dogs and the only ones that ever bit me were a pom and a chi.

The shelter rep is full of it..
Can ANY dog bite .. of course if they have teeth they CAN but will any dog bite??
I dispute that.

The shelter rep is full of it..
Can ANY dog bite .. of course if they have teeth they CAN but will any dog bite??
I dispute that.

ANY dog will bite depending what his/her trigger is. And usually when a dog bites a kid it is because of an adult leaving a kid alone with one or the kid pulling on a tail or ears, sometimes innocently, sometimes not. Also food agression is a big thing....if you have kids, feed the dog in a room away from the kids until you find out if the dog has food agression.

Both of my dogs are incredibly sweet and both of them have bitten or gotten into dog fights as the agressor. There is nothing weird or mean about them. They are just doing what dogs sometimes do. Under the right (or should I say wrong?) circumstances any dog will bite. It's just that the larger breeds can do much more damage. A raging chihuahua isn't going to cause someone to have hundreds of stitches.

ANY dog will bite depending what his/her trigger is. And usually when a dog bites a kid it is because of an adult leaving a kid alone with one or the kid pulling on a tail or ears, sometimes innocently, sometimes not. Also food agression is a big thing....if you have kids, feed the dog in a room away from the kids until you find out if the dog has food agression.

This just recently happened to my pastor. They adopted a Neo mastiff. She was so cute and sweet. They hadn't seen any agression but then there 2 year old son walked by her when she was eating and she snapped and just scratched his face luckily. They did find another home for her but they were shocked she did that.

I agree, it's all in the education. I have a rott-mix...no, I don't think he would bite, but even so, when I visit my friend and her 6 year old, I watch them the whole time and warn her son to NEVER try to take anything from his mouth.

I agree, also, all dogs have a trigger...mine is as lovable as the day is long, but I know every living thing has a fuse that has an end to it.

Any dog can bite and no dog should be left unsupervised with a child.

And just an FYI, an American Bulldog is considered a Pit. They're larger than an American Pit but they are in the same "classification". So is the Spuds McKenzie dog.

Any dog can bite and no dog should be left unsupervised with a child.

And just an FYI, an American Bulldog is considered a Pit. They're larger than an American Pit but they are in the same "classification". So is the Spuds McKenzie dog.

I thought American Bulldogs were registered with AKC as American pit bull terries can only be registered as a breed with UKC and ADBA. But yes the Animal controll guy had good advice, never leave a dog along with children. I just watched a show about what would happen if humans disappeared and it said that dogs would go wild within 10 days of being left hungry. They would form packs and kill smaller dogs. That amazed me it would only take 10 days for domesticate animals to turn wild and kill their own but that is their basic instincts like wolves.

I thought American Bulldogs were registered with AKC as American pit bull terries can only be registered as a breed with UKC and ADBA.

I'm talking more of "lumping" certain dogs into the Pit realm. It's more of a classification thing than a breed. Certain types of dogs are lumped into the "Bully" breed and can be held as part of the breed specific banning in certain states. American Bulldogs fall in that category. Totally not fair.

There's actually no such breed as a PitBull, there's American Staffordshire Terrier, American Pitbull Terrier, American Bulldog Terrier, Staffordshire Terrier, Bulldog Terrier etc, they're all listed as "PitBulls" in any type of breed specific legislation aka banning of breeds in certain counties/states.

This is an American Bulldog, he looks almost EXACTLY like my American Pitbull Terrier, same build, same coloring. If I didn't know better I would SWEAR that my dog was actually an American Bulldog, even the description of the breed sounds like my Bully.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanbulldog.htm

I agree, it's all in the education. I have a rott-mix...no, I don't think he would bite, but even so, when I visit my friend and her 6 year old, I watch them the whole time and warn her son to NEVER try to take anything from his mouth.

I agree, also, all dogs have a trigger...mine is as lovable as the day is long, but I know every living thing has a fuse that has an end to it.

You are a good pet parent Brefie and I like the picture...what a little cutie pie!

This is an American Bulldog, he looks almost EXACTLY like my American Pitbull Terrier, same build, same coloring. If I didn't know better I would SWEAR that my dog was actually an American Bulldog, even the description of the breed sounds like my Bully.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanbulldog.htm

Well Lurker if your Bully looks anything like picture then you have a very handsome dog.

Well Lurker if your Bully looks anything like picture then you have a very handsome dog.

Thanks! My boy has the exact build and face but he has more black on him. His right eye has the circle kind of like Petey from Little Rascals but his is completely black. He also looks like he's wearing chaps from behind. LOL

He's a very handsome dog, I've got to watch it with the treats since he's starting to pork up but he's a good boy.

I'm talking more of "lumping" certain dogs into the Pit realm. It's more of a classification thing than a breed. Certain types of dogs are lumped into the "Bully" breed and can be held as part of the breed specific banning in certain states. American Bulldogs fall in that category. Totally not fair.

There's actually no such breed as a PitBull, there's American Staffordshire Terrier, American Pitbull Terrier, American Bulldog Terrier, Staffordshire Terrier, Bulldog Terrier etc, they're all listed as "PitBulls" in any type of breed specific legislation aka banning of breeds in certain counties/states.

I get what you are saying now. I had no idea all those kinds of dogs would be band with the pitbull legislation. I thought it was only American pitbull terriers and mixes of that breed. I didn't know it would include all these breeds also. My friend at work has two boxer lab mixes and they look just like my pit bull.

I get what you are saying now. I had no idea all those kinds of dogs would be band with the pitbull legislation. I thought it was only American pitbull terriers and mixes of that breed. I didn't know it would include all these breeds also.

Yep, most states can make their own determination on what the deem a "pitbull" and it's anything that even remotely resembles one.

Ban the owners, not the breed. Where's Indy when I need her? LOL She has tons of information on it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back