NY-Long Island-4 bodies on Beach-Possible Serial Killer-Dec 2010 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bestpakcompany.com/burlap_bags.htm

just based on this site, it looks like they come in a wide range of sizes... the potato sack race ones are big enough to hold a person and I'd venture to say conceal an entire petite person in a crouched or fetal position for sure (the big ones on this site are 23.5 X 40). I work better in terms of feet and that's about 2 feet by 3.

You go svpernin! Great info! This information makes me think someone familiar with landscaping techniques planned the disposals. Perhaps someone who landscapes for a municipality or the state who maintains the roadside growth and has access to a truck and wears a uniform which wouldn't arouse suspicion for bypassing motorists during the disposal.?! Just typing out loud....

I agree it sounds like a 'good' substance to use for such a crime. I will not be surprised to learn, when this perp is caught (and he will be) that this person is also of small stature. JMO.

wm

I totally agree, I don't think this is gonna end up being a big guy. And I am sure they'll catch him sooner rather than later. Interesting thought about municipal landscaping, it'd be the perfect cover for disposal.

What are the theories on when these bodies were dumped? All at once (or in same short timespan) in months before they were discovered after being moved from another site? Or do you think they were there all along and dumped as they were killed? Either is plausible I think. I don't think they were in a noticeable place with much if any foot traffic as it was the side of a parkway and not too close to any pedestrian beaches (surprised I haven't driven out there yet to check for myself... I was waiting til it got warmer to see if I could look around the area WITH A BIG STRONG MAN AND PEPPER SPRAY (for any potential stalkers out there) and the burlap obviously helped conceal them. I'd like to know how extensive the initial search for Shannan was though, I feel like they should have found the bodies back then if they were there. Then again, the search details are SO SKETCHY AND CONFLICTING as are reports on Shannan's disappearance.

Sidenote, cause I'm posting like a maniac today, My job often allows me tons of free time to websurf so I figure causes like this are the best dedication of that time. I sincerely think that people like us on WS in this day and age can likely find things online in that LE hasn't found or connected yet.

http://www.bestpakcompany.com/burlap_bags.htm

just based on this site, it looks like they come in a wide range of sizes... the potato sack race ones are big enough to hold a person and I'd venture to say conceal an entire petite person in a crouched or fetal position for sure (the big ones on this site are 23.5 X 40). I work better in terms of feet and that's about 2 feet by 3.

Oh my! I didn't even think about the potato sack races. This brings back memories of our Field Day event when I was teaching elementary school. I now have another potential suspect to add to our list....elementary school PE teacher.

The PE teachers that I worked with all kept their supplies under lock and key. They would pull out much of the equipment needed for field day once per year. Some was used in PE lessons as well as field day. Teachers in NC receive a supplement once per year for supplies. 4 burlap bags going missing over a 2 year period would be nothing based on my experience of continuously replacing supplies that went missing. (Also, most (not all)of the male PE teachers I worked with were horndogs.) No disrespect intended as my experience is not meant to reflect the dedicated professionals as a whole.

maybe we should begin a list of potential suspects based on the evidence we have....the danged BURLAP!

Landscaper
Fisherman
Seafood industry
Truckdriver/delivery person
PE instructor

Everyone, please add to this list with your own thoughts and ideas! We can amend and omit later if more info comes out.

wm

They also use burlap for those huge slides at carnivals, which are every where on LI from the early summer to fall months.

I totally agree, I don't think this is gonna end up being a big guy. And I am sure they'll catch him sooner rather than later. Interesting thought about municipal landscaping, it'd be the perfect cover for disposal.

What are the theories on when these bodies were dumped? All at once (or in same short timespan) in months before they were discovered after being moved from another site? Or do you think they were there all along and dumped as they were killed? Either is plausible I think. I don't think they were in a noticeable place with much if any foot traffic as it was the side of a parkway and not too close to any pedestrian beaches (surprised I haven't driven out there yet to check for myself... I was waiting til it got warmer to see if I could look around the area WITH A BIG STRONG MAN AND PEPPER SPRAY (for any potential stalkers out there) and the burlap obviously helped conceal them. I'd like to know how extensive the initial search for Shannan was though, I feel like they should have found the bodies back then if they were there. Then again, the search details are SO SKETCHY AND CONFLICTING as are reports on Shannan's disappearance.

Sidenote, cause I'm posting like a maniac today, My job often allows me tons of free time to websurf so I figure causes like this are the best dedication of that time. I sincerely think that people like us on WS in this day and age can likely find things online in that LE hasn't found or connected yet.

Yes!! BE sure to have A BIG STRONG MAN AND SOME PEPPER SPRAY when you go LOL! It would be great to hear your description of the area.

I remember reading in one of the articles in the photobucket link that one of the ladies bodies was skeletonized but I cannot remember who.

All the articles are there and they are sequenced from last to first. I have only read the first 2 pages so the info should be there.

I would also like to thank Amandareckonwith for taking the time to archive everything for us with just a click of the mouse! A GREAT resource for us.

I guess I should add municipal worker to the suspect list....

MOO wm

Burlap bags I have seen used for livestock feed/grain, oysters, and potatoes. Anyways it's always bulk buy or farm use. Where are the burlap bag manufacturers in the state.?

They also use burlap for those huge slides at carnivals, which are every where on LI from the early summer to fall months.

Thank you. I am jotting down a list and will update once others weigh in. A carnival worker is a good possibility considering the dates these women went missing.

I am signing off for awhile but will be checking in later.

wm

Yes!! BE sure to have A BIG STRONG MAN AND SOME PEPPER SPRAY when you go LOL! It would be great to hear your description of the area.

I remember reading in one of the articles in the photobucket link that one of the ladies bodies was skeletonized but I cannot remember who.

All the articles are there and they are sequenced from last to first. I have only read the first 2 pages so the info should be there.

I would also like to thank Amandareckonwith for taking the time to archive everything for us with just a click of the mouse! A GREAT resource for us.

I guess I should add municipal worker to the suspect list....

MOO wm

I second that shout out for Amanareckonwith, the photobucket archives are awesome!

WM, I remember reading about the skeletonized remains on the photobucket album too... I'm pretty sure there is a PICTURE on there where you can actually see one skeleton, perhaps the burlap was mostly disintegrated in that case, unless LE removed it, DK how that works at a crime scene ...but I don't think they specified which woman it was, although, to be honest, I clicked past that particular image very quickly after seeing the caption because images like that are where my wussiness kicks in. Someone should check that picture closely to see if you can see traces of burlap because if that's the case, I think that probably means that body was in that specific location for a while. Also, I heard that more than one of the women was fully skeletonized but cannot confirm that.

On that note, I need to stop for the day. Will check in tomorrow.

What you said about the press is spot on. You really have to watch the info and the source. One thing that might be interesting is many people travel out to LI for the Summer, rent a House or a Second Home. It depends they even can continue to work in the City. It's from Memorial Day thru labor Day +/-
If you have a Name or Names what these Girls used on CL If you do a Google Search it might come up. CL doesn't keep Public Archives except for Best of.
You guys are like real Sleuths:rocker:

I too think the burlap is a significant piece of evidence in this case. Each article I read is different.."2 bodies", "all of the bodies" "wrapped in burlap" or "in burlap sacks" Dont know what to believe..
But that's very interesting that burlap decomposes...It seems like such a durable strong material. And I am reading that it will disappear within a year.
So maybe all of them WERE wrapped in burlap when disposed, but only the most recent two, within the year, were still there?
That burlap HAS to hold some type of evidence! DNA, or even a tag to see where it came from.
Lately it's been bothering me that Amber Lynn Costello was seen alive in September and they found her body in December. She was only there for 3 months, and those are cold months..Could her body have possibly been skeletonized already?

Here is an article, unrelated, about a single burlap bag found in an abandoned building that linked a man to the killings of 10 prostitutes: http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-4532617.html

How about the Girl that they can't find? The one who they were looking for is that related? It's got to be.

Good morning! Yes many of us feel it's related and that there is another disposal site. We discussed her in depth in the previous thread. I'll try and search for the discussion and link it after I have my coffee;)

My son messaged me back on FB. He said he transports his fish in wax cardboard boxes. BUT when he gets his bigger truck up and running, he will begin transporting oysters and he can get me all the burlap sacks that I want! (lol, I didn't tell him why I wanted one.) Soooo, I guess my experiment is on hold for now.

wm

Did I read that the Bodies were there for about a month? I really need to go over the entire first Thread but I'm trying to get as many Facts as I can. There has been no new news on any of this. Mums the word- LE has got to keeping all cards very close.

Righteous1, Here is a link to thread one. There are lots of links with info on Shannon Gilbert right there on the first page.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122551"]NY-Long Island-Four bodies found on Beach-Possible Serial Killer-Dec 2010- All id'd - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

And here is a link to the very first article from thread 1 just to get you started. :)

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/12/13/cops-bodies-found-in-gilgo-beach/

wm

Did I read that the Bodies were there for about a month? I really need to go over the entire first Thread but I'm trying to get as many Facts as I can. There has been no new news on any of this. Mums the word- LE has got to keeping all cards very close.

Yeah, Righteous, it's been so quiet. I have never followed a case in real time like this before, is it normal for things to take this long and details to be so scant?

I was thinking earlier about Cruz and Waterman taking a bus from Maine and staying in a hotel... Cruz was obviously financially motivated as he was a pimp and drugdealer and seems like those costs would add up and not make the trip worthwhile unless they were also coming down here for another reason (IE drug deals with LI connections). Cruz left Megan at the hotel the night she disappeared so he clearly had other things going on to not be there when she went to meet her client, which is where i am assuming she went at this point. I remember reading that the trip to LI was one they made regularly. I don't know what my point is, just thinking about how there are probably so many people on LI involved with all these women that know things and it seems no one is saying a word which I guess isn't shocking considering the nature of their lifestyles.

Anyway, the lack of disclosure in this case by LE is likely for a very good reason but it's driving me crazy nonetheless.

The girl who is still missing and the "driver" might be a big part of the Puzzle. Pimps or boyfriends/Hangeron's are not going to kill their Meal ticket I mean I am sure it's possible but a Serial killing Pimp isn't going to make much Money. If there are other missing girls before the first one went missing 06/07 of 2009 and after who have been using Craigslist -that would be where the Clues are at. The fact that the Girls who were found kept in touch with family is probably not the norm. If your hooked on Drugs and getting paid by doing things you may not be to proud of I don't think you want your Friends and Family to Know about your Daily activities. Plus there is shame, so missing is what you prefer. You don't want Dead but missing, out of sight out of mind.
That's why when a "Working Girl" goes missing it could be overlooked at first.

That's why when a "Working Girl" goes missing it could be overlooked at first.

(Bolded and Snipped by me)... Sadly, cases involving "Working Girls" can go cold all too easily! We need to keep this case alive...

JMO
I think - maybe- it was personal. Someone who new Melissa Barthelemy - the family that got the phone calls. Thats weird the phone calls, it made her a person of importance.

The other girls were dark haired, if she was a natural blonde that blows my theory. Is there a list of who died first? 3 of the girls have names starting with M.

Maybe it was hunting her, it's probably a male --but. JMO MOO

hi nao, i have to agree 100% that it was definitely personal between the killer and melissa.
she wasn't his first kill, so it's not as if he was learning as he went along. say for example he decides to not harass as they police may trace him.

it seems melissa b was singled out for harassment by the killer. maybe she reminded him of someone, or possibly put up a good fight to him. something about her struck a cord in the killer enough for him to harass her family.

Thanks, That's a much longer time span then I realized a very long time. they all went missing when the Weather was warm. That Call may not mean anything it's hard to tell. But MSG and Times Square are right in the Middle of Manhattan, traveling from Manhattan all the way out to the Island is not something a City Person does. I mean if you hang out in the City and Know who's who on the Street it's because your from the City. Going to long island is the same as going to Florida. Everything is in the City already. People come into Manhattan. The Girls I could understand going out to the Island to meet someone, outcall. One thing The Train that goes out to the island Leaves from MSG/ Penn Station. As for the Burlap Bag where did that info come from? That's not something LE is going Leak, each Girl 4 Burlap Bags. Or was it one of the girls? it is a clue, a big one. If you have a House on the Island there would be a reason to have that type of Bag even if it was old, the bag. Someone in the City isn't going to have that in the Apartment.

you bring up some very excellent points!
typically a serial killer who lives in nyc would normally kill within the areas of his comfort zone. this guy likes to use l.i. as a dump site at the least.
the killer feels comfy enough with gilgo beach to go back to the same areas year after year to dump a body. he's got a high level of comfort there and confidence.
we know that the killer is mobile, he's got access to a vehicle to actually drive to dump the victims.

richard ramirez killed in los angelos (another city) and that was his comfort zone.
in this case, the killer seems more comfortable with gilgo beach, l.i.
if the killer was that comfortable with nyc, he'd be killing and dumping victims somewhere in manhattan.

msg, times square, penn station are all famous known areas of nyc and are easily accessible by trains, buses, or cabs or the combination if needed from the tri-state area.

the killer might not even be that familiar with manhattan, yet he'd still be able to get to those locations, just like tourists could.

the house on the island theory i agree with, and that possibly the house could belong to the killer's parents or other relatives. maybe it's been in the family for decades even, thus burlap left around. if the killer does have a house on the island, it's possible it's not under his own name, yet that of a relative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado