Finding Jacob Wetterling - The 27-Year Investigation From Kidnapping to Conclusion

I'm wondering why it took 3 years for them to test DH's DNA against the DNA profile identified on Jared’s snow pants, sweatshirt and shirt. It was also more than a year after they had tested the DNA on the baseball cap from the 05/17/87 Paynseville assault.

I'm wondering why it took 3 years for them to test DH's DNA against the DNA profile identified on Jared’s snow pants, sweatshirt and shirt. It was also more than a year after they had tested the DNA on the baseball cap from the 05/17/87 Paynseville assault.

The dNA testing of items yielded nothing until 2015. Touch DNA tech needed time.

4. Did LE forget Heinrich?

No they never forgot Heinrich. If he changed employment they noted it, if he moved they noted it. He was always on their list of suspects, unless you got a confession you would never find anything of value.

...but for how long? If LE truly kept Heinrich on their radar, then there is no possible explanation for going after Rassier. Also, if they were truly tracking Heinrich then why did they not question him about following newspaper boy so I never April 1991?

Interesting also that they first tested Hart's DNA against the hat.

I wonder if there were issues or risks involved with testing Heinrich's hair follicles? That may explain the delay, but it seems more likely that it's because Heinrich did not come back onto the radar until FBI took over the case.

...but for how long? If LE truly kept Heinrich on their radar, then there is no possible explanation for going after Rassier. Also, if they were truly tracking Heinrich then why did they not question him about following newspaper boy so I never April 1991?

Because this is the USA and their are laws against harrassment.

We had a convicted burglar case our home. We asked the constable to tell him we knew . The guy had been released for Christmas. Casing houses in the hood cuz of Christmas.

The constable said he could not go talk to him cuz it would be considered harrassment. He did say that he would go see the burglar just to say that he was going to check on how he was doing . Christmas and all . The constable was from the community and knew the family so that would not be too weird.

Interesting also that they first tested Hart's DNA against the hat.

I wonder if there were issues or risks involved with testing Heinrich's hair follicles? That may explain the delay, but it seems more likely that it's because Heinrich did not come back onto the radar until FBI took over the case.

Didn't Heinrich gave a hair samole? They must have had the follicle?

http://www.forensicmag.com/article/2013/04/challenges-dna-testing-and-forensic-analysis-hair-samples

Because this is the USA and their are laws against harrassment.

Shouldn't those same laws protect Dan Rassier? I hear what you're saying, but the situation is that the SCSO deputy has in front of him a known suspect in what is probably the murder of an 11-year-old boy, and he's following newspaper boys just a few weeks after you returned all his stuff to him. I think you figure out a way to pull him over, if nothing else just to let him know that you know he's there. It's a miracle that Heinrich didn't commit other murders.

Shouldn't those same laws protect Dan Rassier? I hear what you're saying, but the situation is that the SCSO deputy has in front of him a known suspect in what is probably the murder of an 11-year-old boy, and he's following newspaper boys just a few weeks after you returned all his stuff to him. I think you figure out a way to pull him over, if nothing else just to let him know that you know he's there. It's a miracle that Heinrich didn't commit other murders.

Shergirl's neighbors were searched so often they gave LE a key to use. Apparently, it was OK with them and they did not feel harrassed. Whatever it took to help. We don't know who they are and they never made any issue of being searched.

DR was just like those neighbors until a search warrant was granted and he was named a POI in 2010. I wonder if the blood stains on the walls and the mother stating she could explain how her son could have done it raised concerns?

Had you found a reason to pull him over earlier it wouldn't have been enough, you would have had no evidence of Jacob and Heinrich saying No, No, No. In fact the only reason he would confess is because we afforded him 26 years, to become old and washed up and caught off guard with life ending child *advertiser censored*. He only then used what he did to Jacob as a chess piece to get out of it.8

Had you found a reason to pull him over earlier it wouldn't have been enough, you would have had no evidence of Jacob and Heinrich saying No, No, No. In fact the only reason he would confess is because we afforded him 26 years, to become old and washed up and caught off guard with life ending child *advertiser censored*. He only then used what he did to Jacob as a chess piece to get out of it.8

How do we know that? How do we know that they wouldn't have found a video camera in the car with tapes of him zooming in on the buttocks of those paper boys? How do we know that couldn't have led to a new search warrant, which would have found him compiling coverage of Jacob's case? Or found the items of clothing he took from Jared? Or any number of other things. I understand there's no way to answer these things, and they're all big "what ifs" made in hindsight. The fact remains though that he was not only a person of interest in those cases, but strongly suspected by LE to be a suspect in the Paynseville cases. I think it's a fair point to make that they could have persued him as aggressively and relentlessly as they did DR, who was harrassed far more based on much less --- and in a decade where such things were even harder for LE to get away with mind you. I think there would have been a lot of blind eyes turned in the early 90's if they overstepped every once in awhile to try and pin a man suspected of the most high profile child abduction case in state history. Lord knows, blind eyes have been turned to any number of other things in this county where LE are concerned, in both this and many other cases.

Agreed. During my research it was remarkable to me how many people felt that Jerry was involved. I attribute much of that to people not wanting to believe there are "bad" people walking around freely - one of the meanings behind the title "It Can't Happen Here"

Jerry being involved was ridiculous to begin with. I know...easy for me to say now. But I never bought into the accusation. I don't think anyone(unless there's other parents in the same situation) can imagine the unbelievable pressure on that man. Not only did he have to support the family economically(the discipline to go to work despite his pain), but he had to provide the strength-the fortitude-to carry on.....no small feat. Patty of course demonstrated the same strength but I think he was indeed the bedrock to which all were tethered. IMO...his stalwartness and stoic demeanor was not only a sign of strength but also necessary for the family to cope. Someone had to keep it together....and he did...which must have been extremely difficult. It's obvious in pictures and videos the love Jerry has for his family.....and in recent photos....more obvious of how that love gave him strength to carry on to this day in good spirits despite the harsh reality of what happened to Jacob. He is as much of an exemplary as Patty

How do we know that? How do we know that they wouldn't have found a video camera in the car with tapes of him zooming in on the buttocks of those paper boys? How do we know that couldn't have led to a new search warrant, which would have found him compiling coverage of Jacob's case? Or found the items of clothing he took from Jared? Or any number of other things. I understand there's no way to answer these things, and they're all big "what ifs" made in hindsight. The fact remains though that he was not only a person of interest in those cases, but strongly suspected by LE to be a suspect in the Paynseville cases. I think it's a fair point to make that they could have persued him as aggressively and relentlessly as they did DR, who was harrassed far more based on much less --- and in a decade where such things were even harder for LE to get away with mind you. I think there would have been a lot of blind eyes turned in the early 90's if they overstepped every once in awhile to try and pin a man suspected of the most high profile child abduction case in state history. Lord knows, blind eyes have been turned to any number of other things in this county where LE are concerned, in both this and many other cases.
Basically, LE ignored the obvious. The question is WHY?

You have to have probable cause. And the search warrant has to specify what you are looking for. They would have to have a reason. If the evidence was not legally obtained, Heinrichs lawyer would make .sure it would be thrown out

2 months afterJacob was taken they found and took the perps tires and shoes. But that wasn't the answer, the answer is where is Jacob? And that would only happen if he told you. I don't have proof he was forgotten or ignored.

You have to have probable cause. And the search warrant has to specify what you are looking for. They would have to have a reason. If the evidence was not legally obtained, Heinrichs lawyer would make .sure it would be thrown out

You may be ahead of me.....historically/chronologically speaking. WHY did LE abandon the tire track evidence and turn 180 degrees to the perp on foot theory?(which is all it is and was....a theory)

2 months afterJacob was taken they found and took the perps tires and shoes. But that wasn't the answer, the answer is where is Jacob? And that would only happen if he told you. I don't have proof he was forgotten or ignored.
"2 months afterJacob was taken they found and took the perps tires and shoes." I understand your post...but the answer isn't "where is Jacob"....the ANSWER from an investigative point of view was in the perp's tires and shoes. It seems "he"(DJH) was forgotten and ignored. I still ask.....WHY did they ignore the obvious?

"2 months afterJacob was taken they found and took the perps tires and shoes." I understand your post...but the answer isn't "where is Jacob"....the ANSWER from an investigative point of view was in the perp's tires and shoes. It seems "he"(DJH) was forgotten and ignored. I still ask.....WHY did they ignore the obvious?

They did not ignore. They followed him. Even the news knew about him.

There is only one answer. No one could see because the Wetterlings had to do all of their positive actions in the world.

They are an amazing family. Their love and compassion are way beyond what most people could do

They did not ignore. They followed him. Even the news knew about him.

There is only one answer. No one could see because the Wetterlings had to do all of their positive actions in the world.

They are an amazing family. Their love and compassion are way beyond what most people could do
HUH? 'They'(LE I presume) followed him. The "news" knew about him? Really? And did nothing? "There is only one answer."......what does that mean? Please give us the answer. "No one could see because the Wetterlings had to do all of their positive actions in the world.".....what? Sorry, I don't understand your statement.
LE had their man. Early on...very early on in the investigation...kudos to LE.......despite Kevin's inadvertent adolescent prebupescent meandering-that had to create problems-no kudos to Kevin-really a jerk for not coming forward. DJH was pegged early on......he was placed at the scene by tire tracks and footprints. One wonders what led LE to conclude otherwise?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kenzo2011
Back