Powell's Graham house a 'fake,' investigators say

I have a question, there was a burned car and a van in the driveway of the rental. Was there someone else living/staying there?

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/15/josh-powell-did-not-live-at-home-where-sons-died-in-gas-fueled-explosion/#ixzz1mUI7kWyl

BBM...I'm confused. Did he rent the place or was it just an abandoned property? I'm reading posts with quotes from the landlord but the post above sounds like he saw an empty house and squatted there solely for the purpose of getting the kids alone and doing what he did.

If he was really renting the house, why would he, being a grown man, rather pay rent for his own place but stay at his father's house? IMO, SP had a cult-like hold on JP and Alina.

He really was renting the house through a rental agency. An older couple owned the home. They had another home they were living in. The house was empty but not abandoned when it was rented.

BBM They may want to give that impression because of steve's 'interests'. If there are more people involved in a *advertiser censored* ring then they will smugly think LE can't affect them and their actions; a 'wider net' thing.

We think alike Jacie! I think they're divulging information very carefully.

We think alike Jacie! I think they're divulging information very carefully.

I haven't had the opportunity to say to you how sorry I am that, after losing your friend, her sons are taken so tragically. We all had hoped for a better outcome.

I will not be surprised to find that this was a money making thing for jp/sp.

That seems possible. But why could firefighters see so easily that it was staged - and DFS couldn't? That is what I am wondering.

I may be wrong but my impression from the article was that they searched SP's house again and found most of Josh's stuff there.

It wouldn't be that difficult or expensive to put some clothes in a bedroom and food in the kitchen, make it look like a single person was living there. People do have variable levels of belongings and there are people who "live light."

The only way to know for sure would be to know that he was keeping more stuff somewhere else... say at his father's house.

I think that's called making a decision without enough information. :websleuther:

And now - no tenants, and even no house left to rent.

I wonder why so many people underestimated this guy. Yet it has been all over the news for years that he managed to make his wife disappear and basically got away with it. Why would anyone trust him? :waitasec:

I know that in my state, laws intended to prevent discrimination in renting make it really difficult to turn down a qualified tenant.

The only way to stay on the sunny side of the discrimination laws is to keep track of when you get applications. You can get references from employers (past and present) and previous landlords. You can get confirmation of income. The first applicant who meets the criteria of good references, employment and income level is the only safe applicant to offer the rental to.

When I was a child, my parents had great difficulty in finding a place to rent because mixed-race marriages were so unacceptable. It wasn't until my mom started showing up alone that a landlord was willing to rent to her.

I'm not willing to go back to those days.

But I can see how a landlord could feel they had to rent to Powell, depending on the anti-discrimination laws in his area. After all, he had no criminal record, he had a job and could apparently pay the rent.

I know that in my state, laws intended to prevent discrimination in renting make it really difficult to turn down a qualified tenant.

But I can see how a landlord could feel they had to rent to Powell, depending on the anti-discrimination laws in his area. After all, he had no criminal record, he had a job and could apparently pay the rent.

JP had a job? Do you know where or what he was doing for a job?

You can almost crack any encryption, however the amount of time that takes depends.

Could be days, or could be years.

It's easier with a key, of course, but what's also important to know how many bits were used to encrypt. It could take a while to crack it, tbh.

Its crazy that the computers actually made it IF something is on them.

JP had a job? Do you know where or what he was doing for a job?

I can't find the link but I remember it was a software company. I was surprised because my impression had been that he was unemployed.

You can almost crack any encryption, however the amount of time that takes depends.

Could be days, or could be years.

It's easier with a key, of course, but what's also important to know how many bits were used to encrypt. It could take a while to crack it, tbh.

Its crazy that the computers actually made it IF something is on them.

Hard drives (which is what the majority of computers have) are platters made of glass. If LE is willing to invest the time and huge expense, not even shattering the platter will reliably destroy the data--they can take the pieces, put each piece into a shaped platter and pull off the bits of data from each piece.

It's not a full recovery but it can be enough to make some pretty close guesses as to what was on the drive.

Again, this is hugely expensive (upwards of $100K) for a single hard disk but if someone wants it done badly enough and is willing to pony up the cash, it can be done.

I know the Air Force has concluded that the only truly secure way to dispose of used hard drive platters is to use a bench grinder to literally grind the magnetic media off them. Once it's powdered, it's gone... but until it is powdered, there is a risk it can be recovered.

They are now saying they have JP's computers and thinks there may be clues to Susan's death on the hard drives. But sneaky JP used encryption, so the cops are goingi to have a hard time getting through the encryption if they can at all. It depends on the level of encryption that JP used. High level would be almost impossible to get through, I was told by a technician. Lower levels might be possible. So I hope they can hire some hackers to do the work.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/crime-law/secret-computer-files-may-hold-clues-about-susan-p/nHdGb/

Get the people who trained Josh to assist the police then. He had to learn from SOMEONE. Surely there is someone left in the US that's is more technologically advanced (smarter) than JP!

I'm confident they'll be able to crack his encryption. I imagine there's a lot of computer experts who wouldn't mind helping out in this case, and they're a lot more talented than Josh was.
The F.B.I. has a whole cyber-crimes division. I believe they are fully capable of cracking high-level sophisticated encryption, without hiring prison hackers. I know someone who works in this division...

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-j...hts-on-murdersuicide-20120208,0,2152397.story

In October 2011, I helped Josh move from our neighborhood into the house in Graham. In November 2011, Josh asked us to assist him with child visitation by supervising visits with his sons. We were supervising weekly visits in our home for The Department of Social and Health Services between Josh, Charlie and Braden. Our children would play together during these visits.

Interesting letter. It would be nice if the good pastor could make a home visit over to the Powells and explain how their current actions are just hurting everyone, even their own family. It would be nice if he would ask them to find another cemetery to bury Josh in. That might be a very useful thing for that pastor to do.

BBM They may want to give that impression because of steve's 'interests'. If there are more people involved in a *advertiser censored* ring then they will smugly think LE can't affect them and their actions; a 'wider net' thing.

I agree. I have thought that a wider net was being cast for some time now.

I have a question, there was a burned car and a van in the driveway of the rental. Was there someone else living/staying there?

I'm not seeing a burned car in the driveway...just a burned van in the burned garage. :waitasec:

Attachments

• 460-142cyn_St_38.jpg
    460-142cyn_St_38.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 31
I hope Mr. Small sues the 'heirs' of josh's estate to recoup some or all of the 60K he lost by renting to josh.

Well, to be fair, I think the land itself is worth more than $60,000. If he waits a little while, I would think it would be safe to build a new house. It is one thing to live in a house where such a terrible tragedy occurred, but it is a different thing to live in a completely new house built on the same spot.

If he does end up donating the land, then I think the estate should be sued for the loss. I also think the Coxes should sue the estate for Susan's retirement money he STOLE before he moved from Utah.

Well, to be fair, I think the land itself is worth more than $60,000. If he waits a little while, I would think it would be safe to build a new house. It is one thing to live in a house where such a terrible tragedy occurred, but it is a different thing to live in a completely new house built on the same spot.

If he does end up donating the land, then I think the estate should be sued for the loss. I also think the Coxes should sue the estate for Susan's retirement money he STOLE before he moved from Utah.

BBM

They absolutely should be sued. How was he able to take the money in the first place? IIRC wasn't he there at the bank after Susan went missing and LE was called?

It seems the neighbors are interested in doing what was done in the Megan Kanka case. The house/property where Megan was murdered was bought, torn down and a park made on the site.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...pckAAAAIBAJ&sjid=eqIFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3699,3729354

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back