Autopsy Report - 13 Fatal wounds ***DISCUSSION***

Well, maybe, but I'm not convinced of that.....

YellowDog, I'm not convinced either....Let's trust LE has looked deeper into this...
tattoo's behind upper legs, like a gang brand...very disturbing and strange...imo

Okay, I've looked at both autopsies, as best I can, and just wish someone professional could read it for us in lay terms. The "backward" and "forward" information about the shots confuses me. I'll have to look that up.

What I can ponder is the gunshots were mostly from the front, as far as I can tell. The 13 year old, Taylor, who was shot three times in the face and once in the neck, seems to have been closer to one shot than any of the others and closer to her killer's gun than the other child, Skyla, was to the shots fired at her. Well, that may or may not be true, as I can't really read an autopsy report, obviously, but I'm THINKING this because one shot had stippling from the gun powder, IF I'm reading this correctly. This makes me wonder, with the shots being to the face and her being the older, if possibly her attack was more personal--in the face.

Also, I can't make out what would have caused the abrasion on Taylor's cheek. Did she get that falling on something, or did she get hit by one of the assailants? With the gun butt--the size of the abrasion being small but the M. E.'s drawing makes it look brutal? Surely they'd have found traces of metals or oils, or a pattern of some kind from the shape or texture of the gun if that was the case...? Maybe not, just some thoughts.

So the killers just shot these children like dogs. No sexual assault at all. That's a bit odd, too, considering a killer, particularly more than one, would seem to have no boundaries that would stop two of them from further abusing the girls. So that leads me to wonder if the killers were immature and new at this kind of crime, afraid of getting caught if they lingered too long or tried to kidnap the girls to take them somewhere private first? Or perhaps they had nowhere to take them, being minors or living with relatives?

Most adult males who are this depraved would have thought of securing a location for sexual abuse, it would seem to me, if they were experienced criminals before killing the girls. Unless this was a random attack, which came out of the blue, somehow provoked during a chance encounter, asking for directions or something.

Of course, no one knows the actual pathology of a killer until you know the killer, but no sexual assault makes me wonder if one or more of the assailants was a female. Just thinking...nothing more.

One thing that I'm also wondering: if the killer hit Taylor on the face, were there footprints? She seems to have dropped to her left knee--abrasions there, and that would seem to come from being hit on the right side on her upper cheek. I wonder what the positions of the bodies were when discovered. LE might not know, as the family who found them might have moved them, naturally enough, of course. God help them.

The other child, Skyla, seems to have been shot rather impersonally, mostly in the chest and abdomen area.

The thing is, were these children trying to run away? Skyla has a couple of shots that may have been her turning around, or maybe she was whipped around by the shots, I don't know. Taylor had her hand up to protect herself, which is when she was shot through the hand, but that's about all the time she seems to have had to react before she was dead. So it would seem there were two killers. Otherwise, one at least would have begun to run, it seems to me. And that would have meant one killer would have used the same gun on the one running, to stop her? Could have, I can't remember if the autopsy specified exactly what caliber bullets were used on each shot, so I'll have to look at that again.

Let's say Taylor was shot first: in the face, relatively small target zone, three or four quick shots; then one in the groin as she lay there, it seems, the bullet traveling upward through her body all the way to her lungs and torso, if I remember correctly. So it would take a second or two for the body to fall backward, when that last shot was fired, unless the killer came back to shoot that one, which is possible. (This is where the issue is important of which gun was used on which child, or both? I don't know, I'm just winging it here.) It would take a few seconds at least to get off five shots that hit your target, I'd think. Those shots were none of them point blank, gun to face, and only one had any stippling from one shot, so the killer had to be a couple of feet or more away, right? So what was Skyla doing once the shots started?

She might have been too scared to run. It happened fast, it appears. But she was hit by a small caliber bullet in at least one shot, if I am remembering my quick read of the autopsy. So that would be the second gun, because Taylor had a medium size bullet found in her, right? So this has me wondering if both girls were shot at about the same time, giving neither a chance to react.

But there was no fighting other than the abrasion on Taylor's cheek and knee that I can see. Though there were abrasions on the back of Skyla's legs and buttocks...or am I misremembering this? Sorry, I'll have to go back to study these and do some research when I have more time. Unless someone else has done this already and if so, thanks in advance and can you tell me where to find it?

I guess what I'm wondering is, did they know their killers? Or did they simply trust strangers who stopped and shot them so brutally, not thinking to run, not panicking, not suspecting strangers could be so wantonly monstrous?

Surely LE has evidence of tire tracks, footprints, blood spatter, bullets and therefore knows the models of the guns used.

Well, don't pay too much attention to what I'm speculating on, because I haven't looked at this more than the short news bites before today. I hope it's just a matter of time before these killers are caught. If there were two of them, they may turn on each other. Or one of them may not be able to keep it quiet, may brag or repent...or let it slip while drunk. I hope....
I work in Pathology, and am familiar with autopsy reports. The bullets entered their bodies in a forward motion, or in some of the wounds "a slightly forward" motion, and exited (left their bodies) in the same way. This is the "Direction" of the path of the bullet. It seems to me that the girls were facing the shooter(s). Also, the ME indicates in the autopsy report that both girls were found by the grandfather lying "supine" (lying on the back). It wound seem to me that if the girls were running away from the shooter(s) that they would have been found "prostrate" or (face down). Just my opinion.

I work in Pathology, and am familiar with autopsy reports. The bullets entered their bodies in a forward motion, or in some of the wounds "a slightly forward" motion, and exited (left their bodies) in the same way. This is the "Direction" of the path of the bullet. It seems to me that the girls were facing the shooter(s). Also, the ME indicates in the autopsy report that both girls were found by the grandfather lying "supine" (lying on the back). It wound seem to me that if the girls were running away from the shooter(s) that they would have been found "prostrate" or (face down). Just my opinion.

Debbie, thank you for your input. It is much appreciated.

Hi Debbie and welcome! Thanks so much for sharing your input. Are you familiar with toxicology reports as well? One question I've always had is why Taylor's sample has a hold time of 30 days but Skyla's has a hold time of 5 years. Again, thanks!

Cheers,
KP

Hi Debbie and welcome! Thanks so much for sharing your input. Are you familiar with toxicology reports as well? One question I've always had is why Taylor's sample has a hold time of 30 days but Skyla's has a hold time of 5 years. Again, thanks!

Cheers,
KP

KP, I have also questioned that.

Debbie, do you have any ideas?

Thank you so much for your informative post. I, too, welcome you and encourage you to continue posting. Just wait until after the holidays - you will be inundated with questions due to your insight.

It appears to me that Skyla had just turned to run when she was, perhaps, hit in the arm. Provided that is the case, would that shot have spun her around facing the shooter? Also, I'd like to know what your take is on the abrasions found on their bodies?

Again, welcome and I look forward to reading any additional thoughts you may have.

Cheers,
KP
Hi KP!! Thank you for the welcome! Laboratories (include State Forensic Laboratories)keep records on file for 5 years and their records will include their toxicology reports. I'm not sure why Taylor's report states a hold time of 30 days. I'm thinking that may be a typo. (Working in Pathology myself - this happens and it goes unnoticed by staff).

Welcome Debbie! Thank you so much for posting! I agree with Boots. Once the holidays are over with you will be inundated with tons of questions. We do appreciate any information you can give us.

Thank you so much for your informative post. I, too, welcome you and encourage you to continue posting. Just wait until after the holidays - you will be inundated with questions due to your insight.

It appears to me that Skyla had just turned to run when she was, perhaps, hit in the arm. Provided that is the case, would that shot have spun her around facing the shooter? Also, I'd like to know what your take is on the abrasions found on their bodies?

Again, welcome and I look forward to reading any additional thoughts you may have.
Hi Boots, thank you so much for your welcome!! That's a good thought. I was wondering from reading that report if possibly the shooters had shot her in the abdomen first (#VII Epigastrium), then hitting her in the chest and the shots to her arms were just random viscious shots. The shooter(s) are viscious killers. Also #VIII was a gunshot in which the shooter came within close enough range to leave gunpowder. I'm wondering if the girls were not facing the shooter.

The coroner did not make much note of the abrasions. There was a linear scab of a "Z" on the back of the left hip and a "scar" on the inner aspect of the left arm. I noticed that there were some paint markings on their bodies that they had made on each other like typical little girls will do when bored. The "Z" scar could be from what kids will do when they are bored as well. Could the other abrasions be from where they fell in the brush?

Hi Boots, thank you so much for your welcome!! That's a good thought. I was wondering from reading that report if possibly the shooters had shot her in the abdomen first (#VII Epigastrium), then hitting her in the chest and the shots to her arms were just random viscious shots. The shooter(s) are viscious killers. Also #VIII was a gunshot in which the shooter came within close enough range to leave gunpowder. I'm wondering if the girls were not facing the shooter.

Because of the position/location of each body - it appears, to me, that Taylor was close to the road and was facing the killer(s) and Skyla who was about 5 feet away and, apparently, headed back into the woods, was attempting to escape.

The coroner did not make much note of the abrasions. There was a linear scab of a "Z" on the back of the left hip and a "scar" on the inner aspect of the left arm. I noticed that there were some paint markings on their bodies that they had made on each other like typical little girls will do when bored. The "Z" scar could be from what kids will do when they are bored as well.

The "Z" scabs/scars/markings, IMO, were made by the girls on themselves and on each other and represent their devotion to "Zanessa" or "Zac" from High School Musical.

Could the other abrasions be from where they fell in the brush?They probably are. I was just wanting to know if you had additional info to add to the "scanty" comments in the autopsy.

Thanks, Debbie0604...My responses to bolded comments are in red.

Hi KP!! Thank you for the welcome! Laboratories (include State Forensic Laboratories)keep records on file for 5 years and their records will include their toxicology reports. I'm not sure why Taylor's report states a hold time of 30 days. I'm thinking that may be a typo. (Working in Pathology myself - this happens and it goes unnoticed by staff).
Thanks debbie... So 5 years is the norm? Interesting. It wouldn't be the first typo on the autopsy reports. :p

Thanks debbie... So 5 years is the norm? Interesting. It wouldn't be the first typo on the autopsy reports. :p

Yes KP you are correct. Taylor's autopsy reports her birthdate incorrectly as well.

Yes KP you are correct. Taylor's autopsy reports her birthdate incorrectly as well.
Yep, I remember that Lauren (hee hee), I wasn't aware of that until you pointed it out to me. Good catch! :)

Looking at Skyla's autopsy report I notice all the wounds seem to be coming predominantly from the front. These entrance wounds can then be devided to those going either slightly up, or those going slightly down. Those going slightly down could have been fired from the back of a pick-up truck... And would then be the first ones to hit her. Those going slightly up in direction, it would seem to me, could have been fired when she was on the ground, supine, with the shooter standing at some unspecified distance from her feet.

Taylor seems to have been shot in the head 3 times. It could be a .22 firing hollow points, or perhaps a smaller center fire caliber like a .25 or .380. I draw this conclusion by the combination of lack of penetration, and from the bullets having a copper jacket. I would lean toward the smaller .25/.380 because of the lack of penetration. .22 though quite small in caliber, do have quite a bit of penetration, especially the hollow point variety.

It seems to me at first glance that both girls were shot nearly at the same time... The gunner shooting the smaller caliber weapon seems to have shot Taylor in the face 3 times. I would suggest these are the opening shots on her. Then with 2 more shots fired with her on the ground also producing the upward trajectory.

Hi USARDOG,
Is there any chance these wounds could have come from a shotgun?
Thanks for your opinions above.

It is quite difficult for me to fathom people being this cruel and heartless. These people need to be found and dealt with. The totally senseless and vicious nature of this crime is quite shocking.

It is quite difficult for me to fathom people being this cruel and heartless. These people need to be found and dealt with. The totally senseless and vicious nature of this crime is quite shocking.
I echo that sentiment wholeheartedly. :(

Quite honestly Ruf, IMO, no. These wounds would seem most likely from hand guns. A shotgun would either produce many wounds, in a charistic pattern, and none would have copper jackets. Or if firing slugs, would have been massively destructive at these ranges, leaving huge exit wounds, blowing out large portions of tissue.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back