Police asks help identifying the people in photos taken by murderer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Very striking resemblance - but I don't think she has as big of an overbite.

2488444230045078242S500x500Q851.jpg

It might be a deceptive comparison because the UID's teeth are attached only to a bare skull while the woman's teeth have gums around them. I would still call it in and let people more qualified than I am make that evaluation.

There are some similarities here, especially the eyes. The hair is different, however. She may have grown it longer and straightened it. I don't know...
The girl in Alcala's photo looks older than 15 to me. There are no details available of the circumstances of Luray's disappearance, other than "she may have traveled out of the area with an adult male". Was she a runaway?
Where was Alcala in August, 1964? The timeline I've seen has him in the Army between 1961-64, and then nothing until his graduation from UCLA in 1968.

NCMC1126040c1.jpg
kz6i9c-kz6i8j0114.jpg

WHOA! That is a very good catch, IMO. This girl could have been a runaway and the pic by Alcala was taken a year or two or three later. Are there any other pics of Luray? I'd love to see one where her mouth is closed.

There are some similarities here, especially the eyes. The hair is different, however. She may have grown it longer and straightened it. I don't know...
The girl in Alcala's photo looks older than 15 to me. There are no details available of the circumstances of Luray's disappearance, other than "she may have traveled out of the area with an adult male". Was she a runaway?
Where was Alcala in August, 1964? The timeline I've seen has him in the Army between 1961-64, and then nothing until his graduation from UCLA in 1968.

NCMC1126040c1.jpg
kz6i9c-kz6i8j0114.jpg

That's exactly what I was thinking when I brought her up, that it looks like maybe a year or so down the road. Maybe the CP picture is a year younger one also and that they didn't have a more current picture? I was hoping maybe CarlK could work his magic crayon over this gals photo. (I don't know how he does that, but it's a cool trick!)

How about Cherry Greenman and the tall girl in the bikini? (Cherry was 5'7" and 135 lbs).

5w0cjr.jpg

I agree with you, I think this gal looks like Cherry, was just going to post her, but went back and saw that you had already done that. The mouth does look a little different, but I think it could be just because of the wider smile in the CP picture. Darn it, I wish their families would post more pictures on the missing persons sites, one or two more poses can make all the difference in the world in trying to identify them.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I brought her up, that it looks like maybe a year or so down the road. Maybe the CP picture is a year younger one also and that they didn't have a more current picture? I was hoping maybe CarlK could work his magic crayon over this gals photo. (I don't know how he does that, but it's a cool trick!)

Here is the overlay mirrored, and aligned on the chin and nose. It doesn't line up that well.

2244165100045078242S425x425Q851.jpg

NCMC1126040c1.jpg
kz6i9c-kz6i8j0114.jpg

I don't think the hair matters. Most of us changed to that long straight style somewhere around 1967, often using straighteners if necessary. Or her older hairdo could have been permed and was almost certainly teased.

I imagine Alcala must have been in school by August. That would make for a normal four-year graduation. It sounds like even if she wasn't a runaway, she was still alive for some time after she disappeared. More likely she went up to LA -- everybody was heading there -- and hung around with the young hippie crowd. Fifteen wasn't as young then as it is now...

That said, I don't think it's her. The girl in the photo has a narrower skull and a slightly longer jaw, though Luray's face looks longer overall. Though possibly it's just from growing up and losing weight.

I don't think the hair matters. Most of us changed to that long straight style somewhere around 1967, often using straighteners if necessary. Or her older hairdo could have been permed and was almost certainly teased.

I imagine Alcala must have been in school by August. That would make for a normal four-year graduation. It sounds like even if she wasn't a runaway, she was still alive for some time after she disappeared. More likely she went up to LA -- everybody was heading there -- and hung around with the young hippie crowd. Fifteen wasn't as young then as it is now...

That said, I don't think it's her. The girl in the photo has a narrower skull and a slightly longer jaw, though Luray's face looks longer overall. Though possibly it's just from growing up and losing weight.

UCLA is on the quarter system, and the Fall quarter doesn't start until mid-September. I graduated there in 1978, and I recall classes started around Sept. 20th.

As far as the face is concerned, yes there seem to be some differences, though the eyes are really striking. I'm thinking the girl in the picture is around 19 years old, so there could be some narrowing of the face from "growing up".

I guess the yellow car in the motorcycle photo wasn't Alacala's Datsun F-10 unless he repainted it:

"Robison withstood a lame cross by Alcala, although the accused was able to show he'd misidentified Alcala's mini station wagon as a Datsun B210 instead of an F-10. Won't matter: I'd guess there are two young jurors to whom Datsun is as unfamiliar as Studebaker.

But just in case the car does come into play, here's an amazing tidbit gleaned from Robison: 30 years later, HBPD still has the Little Blue Wagon of Terror in evidence."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/robison-231909-alcala-later.html

That's pretty amazing that they kept the car all these years!

The motorcycle in that photo (and the helmet a girl is seen wearing in another photo) could still be his, though:

"Inside the storage unit detectives found an old motorcycle and other junk."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/alcala-235736-murphy-evidence.html

I agree with you, I think this gal looks like Cherry, was just going to post her, but went back and saw that you had already done that. The mouth does look a little different, but I think it could be just because of the wider smile in the CP picture. Darn it, I wish their families would post more pictures on the missing persons sites, one or two more poses can make all the difference in the world in trying to identify them.

I was looking at photo #163 as a match for Cherry. She's probably the same person as they both have the dimple or cleft in the chin. The dimple made me hesitate as to it being Cherry as her photo doesn't show it. Doesn't mean she didn't have one and maybe it just didn't show in the photo.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 80
Good catch on the teeth. They are definitely close. IDK how to do a side by side or I would! Hint hint :innocent:

Is this the side-by-side that you were talking about?

2532329160045078242S600x600Q85.jpg

Looks like a pretty good match, at least on the toofs!!!

I guess the yellow car in the motorcycle photo wasn't Alacala's Datsun F-10 unless he repainted it:

"Robison withstood a lame cross by Alcala, although the accused was able to show he'd misidentified Alcala's mini station wagon as a Datsun B210 instead of an F-10. Won't matter: I'd guess there are two young jurors to whom Datsun is as unfamiliar as Studebaker.

But just in case the car does come into play, here's an amazing tidbit gleaned from Robison: 30 years later, HBPD still has the Little Blue Wagon of Terror in evidence."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/robison-231909-alcala-later.html

That's pretty amazing that they kept the car all these years!

The motorcycle in that photo (and the helmet a girl is seen wearing in another photo) could still be his, though:

"Inside the storage unit detectives found an old motorcycle and other junk."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/alcala-235736-murphy-evidence.html

That is interesting. I wish it said what year his car was; perhaps this is one he had before.

Good catch about the scar.

Eastin's charley page says she went missing both in 1971 and 1972.

http://gov.ca.gov/proclamation/2015/
According to this 1971 is the correct year.

ETA: the tips of their noses look a bit different to me. Might be just the angle of the photos or the lighting.

This article specifies that one of the women missing that they have possibly identified in the photos is from Alaska and another from Phoenix.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/photos-239446-alcala-women.html

There are only 2 female cases from Alaska that would fit in anyway:

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/AST/abi/docs/bulletins/Emerick.pdf

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/AST/abi/docs/bulletins/Davis.pdf

Here's a little girl from Alaska....

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/AST/abi/docs/bulletins/FandelAmy.pdf

Haven't looked into Phoenix yet.

ETA: Dorothy Mildred Clitheroe was missing from Phoenix. I am totally thinking it HAS to be her!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MalloryK