Pit bulls break into woman's house; maul her

T-Rex

Reaction score
"Two pit bull terriers broke into a house through a pet door Tuesday and attacked a woman in her bed, mauling her badly, a Pierce County sheriff's spokesman said.
The woman was able to grab a gun and try to shoot the dogs, then break away from the attack and lock herself in her car, where she called 911"

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070822/D8R5QR1G1.html

But it wasn't the pit bulls' fault, it was their OWNER's! I've known pit bulls that were the sweetest thing--I'd leave my baby (if I had one) alone with them! That's terrible if they're going to destroy these beautiful animals--I would adopt them in a heartbeat! (Did I get that right?)

I had never thought about a strange dog coming in through a doggie door. I guess though if one can come in, others can too. I wonder how many people with small children have a doggie door that a strange animal could come in through. Scary thought.

I had never thought about a strange dog coming in through a doggie door. I guess though if one can come in, others can too. I wonder how many people with small children have a doggie door that a strange animal could come in through. Scary thought.
We have a "remote" doggie door just for this reason. Our dogs have sensors on their collars that open the doggie door. They walk up to it and it opens and then closes behnd them. Every now and then the batteries go dead on the sensors and that's a probelm. Before my other dog died, it was kind of cute to watch them if one dog's collar sensor was dead. The other dog would walk up and open it for them and "hold it open" until the other got through.
It's really a great contraption.

"Two pit bull terriers broke into a house through a pet door Tuesday and attacked a woman in her bed, mauling her badly, a Pierce County sheriff's spokesman said.
The woman was able to grab a gun and try to shoot the dogs, then break away from the attack and lock herself in her car, where she called 911"

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070822/D8R5QR1G1.html

But it wasn't the pit bulls' fault, it was their OWNER's! I've known pit bulls that were the sweetest thing--I'd leave my baby (if I had one) alone with them! That's terrible if they're going to destroy these beautiful animals--I would adopt them in a heartbeat! (Did I get that right?)

This is such a horrible story! How horrible for this woman and for that little Jack Russell that came in! I don't have a doggy door, never would, just because any other animal could come in, like a racoon or squirrel even though my yard is fenced AND I want to know where my dogs are at ALL times even when I am asleep and my cats are indoor cats. I don't know why you'd have a doggie door if you didn't have a fenced yard...and if she did, how did these dogs get in? These dogs that attacked her, horrible.

And actually, the owners should be held accountable for this too.

I am just aroused that the woman was able to fight them off and her first instint was to GET A GUN!!!!! Yeah baby! Too bad she didn't get to shoot the turds.

I'd own what that owner owns post haste.

Cal

My first thought when I read the thread title was the image of our shotgun propped and the nine which can be reached in my bedroom...it never crossed my mind that dogs would come in and attack!!!"...then I saw she DID have a gun! WOOT! Thank God. I bet that helped her get away from them, thank God they didn't kill her. Could you imagine being in bed and all of a sudden being attacked by 2 pitbulls. Holy Shamolies!

I'd like to know more about who owned these dogs and what caused them to flip out. I wish I could trust those that say pits are good dogs, it's just how you raise them, I'm just not convinced of that..I'd really like to know about their environment and how they were raised.

I wonder how extensive the ladies injuries were?

Horrifying!!! Can you imagine being sound to sleep and this happening :(

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_082107WAB_dog_mauling_SW.583497bb.html

Woman mauled by home-invading pit bulls
10:38 PM PDT on Tuesday, August 21, 2007

KING5.com Staff

Animal control officers say the victim was covered in blood after the dogs attacked NEAR PURDY, Wash. - In what deputies describe as the worst mauling they've ever seen, two pit bulls entered a Wauna-area home through an open patio door and attacked a woman in her bed.

Pierce County Sheriff's Dept. spokesman Ed Troyer said a neighbor's Jack Russell terrier also entered the home in the 10600 block of 132nd St. Court NW through the dog door and the pit bulls attacked the terrier named Romeo. The blood splattered thoughout Sue Ann Gorman's home tells the story of how she fought off the two pit bulls.

I hope they press charges against the owners.

I wish I could trust those that say pits are good dogs, it's just how you raise them, I'm just not convinced of that..I'd really like to know about their environment and how they were raised.

I have to agree with you on this one
As a member of dog forums I listening to pit owners who insist that the breed is sound and have not got a malice muscle in their bodies......I say BULLSH!T
I am so tired of pit owners who just wont see what is in front of their eyes.
I can honestly say I have never heard of a pit owner who has an elderly dog, and why is that......maybe because all pits seem to hit the two year mark and develop aggressive tendencies and at that time they are either destroyed by the owner or ordered destroyed by the courts.

I have to agree with you on this one
As a member of dog forums I listening to pit owners who insist that the breed is sound and have not got a malice muscle in their bodies......I say BULLSH!T
I am so tired of pit owners who just wont see what is in front of their eyes.
I can honestly say I have never heard of a pit owner who has an elderly dog, and why is that......maybe because all pits seem to hit the two year mark and develop aggressive tendencies and at that time they are either destroyed by the owner or ordered destroyed by the courts.

Not true, Whalen. I know several old pits, a couple of which are ten and twelve years old. They've never harmed a person, ever. My own pit is---I think five or six. I'd have to think about when my son brought him home. He, too, has never harmed a person. Just telling you the that is right in front of my own eyes, sorry that it is so tiresome for you.

Pits are AGRESSIVE TO OTHER ANIMALS which are not a part of their own family. They are not normally agressive to humans.

Did anyone actually see the television news shots of the pits in this story? One looked like a pit mix, the other one looked more like a chocolate lab than a pit to me......I think these particular dogs are mixes. This is an ongoing problem in the media, breeds that are not really pits are being reported as pits.

Again, I'll say that the vast majority of pitbulls never "turn," they never have to be put down by their owners or the courts. Probably over 99 percent of pits will live long, healthy and happy lives and remain loving and loyal the whole entirity of their lives. A very small percentage of pits cause very serious, deadly trouble. Sometimes it is the owner's fault for not properly socializing and containing the dog. Sometimes it is the breeder's fault because he bred specifically for agression.....sometimes the pit puppy was fed blood and gunpowder (yes, they do that) to increase it's agressive tendencies. And I'm sure there are the few properly raised pits who do develop agressive tendencies, just like there are the few of every single breed who have been properly raised and still develop aggression.

The owners of these two dogs, whatever breed they end up being, are ABSOLUTELY responsible for this attack. These two animals should never have been allowed to run free. To prop a fence up by tying it with a rope and expect that fence to contain a dog is ridiculous. The fact that these dogs have roamed freely before indicates owners who haven't got the sense to wise up and take authority over the dogs. Idiots.

On another note, these stories linked to here are a little different in context to what I watched on TV. On tv, it said the Jack Russel ran into the home through the doggie door and the pits followed it in.....It doesn't make it right for the dogs to have entered the woman's home, but it may comfort some of you who were thinking these dogs just found a doggie door and ran through it to attack the woman. I don't know which version is correct, but it would be very strange to think the dogs would enter a home for no reason.

Secondly, on the 2nd link given you can see the brown dog. It is NOT a pit. It may have a tiny bit of pit in it, but it really looks absolutely nothing like a pitbull.

But we hear the same old story over and over. I can't believe MY dog would ever do something like that. They are so surprised, but the person is still injured or dead. If people are going to have a dog like that they must be held accountable if something happens. That is the only way they will ever take responsibility. Until then it will be, NOT MY DOG!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Not true, Whalen. I know several old pits, a couple of which are ten and twelve years old. They've never harmed a person, ever. My own pit is---I think five or six. I'd have to think about when my son brought him home. He, too, has never harmed a person. Just telling you the that is right in front of my own eyes, sorry that it is so tiresome for you.

Pits are AGRESSIVE TO OTHER ANIMALS which are not a part of their own family. They are not normally agressive to humans.

Did anyone actually see the television news shots of the pits in this story? One looked like a pit mix, the other one looked more like a chocolate lab than a pit to me......I think these particular dogs are mixes. This is an ongoing problem in the media, breeds that are not really pits are being reported as pits.

Again, I'll say that the vast majority of pitbulls never "turn," they never have to be put down by their owners or the courts. Probably over 99 percent of pits will live long, healthy and happy lives and remain loving and loyal the whole entirity of their lives. A very small percentage of pits cause very serious, deadly trouble. Sometimes it is the owner's fault for not properly socializing and containing the dog. Sometimes it is the breeder's fault because he bred specifically for agression.....sometimes the pit puppy was fed blood and gunpowder (yes, they do that) to increase it's agressive tendencies. And I'm sure there are the few properly raised pits who do develop agressive tendencies, just like there are the few of every single breed who have been properly raised and still develop aggression.

My 1st Pit was put down, she was 16 years old and couldn't walk anymore. She NEVER bit anyone, animal or person.
The Pit I have now is 5, never bit anyone, animal or person.

Guess I got lucky with that 2 year mark.

And those were not Pit bulls, neither looked anything like a full bred pit. And there were those words again "tied in the backyard"

On another note, my prayers go out to this woman and I hope the owners of those dogs are held responsible to the fullest extent.

This is horrible. It's one thing to be attacked on the streets, but in your own home????!!!!
Kgeaux, I wouldn't own a pit because it has aggression to other animals. Simply because so many other people own animals they may come across, ie, by accidentally getting out.
It doesn't take much it seems for that animal aggression to to turn towards humans. Any type of aggression from a dog that is a family pet is just not cool, IMO.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Oh no, mine is 2 1/2, I better watch out now. Very good post, I second that.

This is horrible. It's one thing to be attacked on the streets, but in your own home????!!!!
Kgeaux, I wouldn't own a pit because it has aggression to other animals. Simply because so many other people own animals they may come across, ie, by accidentally getting out.
It doesn't take much it seems for that animal aggression to to turn towards humans. Any type of aggression from a dog that is a family pet is just not cool, IMO.

I agree with any agression is not cool. My dogs weren't and aren't aggressive towards other animals (except rabbits) but I still don't take the chance. And any dog should be watched around a child, I don't care how small or docile they are.

And stuffed animals are fair game in my house, with both the rottie and the pit. The rottie is a lot nicer to them though, he lets them hang around a little longer than the pit does. Unless they squeak, then all bets are off.

This is such a horrible story! How horrible for this woman and for that little Jack Russell that came in! I don't have a doggy door, never would, just because any other animal could come in, like a racoon or squirrel even though my yard is fenced AND I want to know where my dogs are at ALL times even when I am asleep and my cats are indoor cats. I don't know why you'd have a doggie door if you didn't have a fenced yard...and if she did, how did these dogs get in? These dogs that attacked her, horrible.

And actually, the owners should be held accountable for this too.

Very wise. I know from personal experience that fences don't keep out raccoons. And my vet tells me raccoons entering through pet doors and attacking pets is quite a problem.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back