CA CA - Farren Stanberry, 18, San Francisco, 24 Apr 1980

I just spoke with the person in Oregon handling Farren's case. He has been told by the San Francisco ME's office that UID#3 is not Farren.

He is trying to track down the DNA sample, there are no updates on that yet.

As far as the timeline, the official missing date he has is April 26, 1980, although he agrees that it contradicts some of the other information. He was not sure if that is the date he called his grandmother or the date she learned he had left the hotel. He said the initial report isn't very helpful, and he has been relying on the news articles for the most part.

He did tell me that both of Farren's wrists had been broken in the past.

He does not know what happened to Farren's belongings after he disappeared, or who he was living with at the hotel. He doesn't know the hotel manager's name either. I may request the court records from that 1981 lawsuit and see if I can find that manager. He may be the only person who would have any additional information.

We discussed UID#1 and he is going to call down to the ME and ask them to look into it.

I am a little stunned, I felt really confident that UID #3 was him.

I just spoke with the person in Oregon handling Farren's case. He has been told by the San Francisco ME's office that UID#3 is not Farren.

He is trying to track down the DNA sample, there are no updates on that yet.

As far as the timeline, the official missing date he has is April 26, 1980, although he agrees that it contradicts some of the other information. He was not sure if that is the date he called his grandmother or the date she learned he had left the hotel. He said the initial report isn't very helpful, and he has been relying on the news articles for the most part.

He did tell me that both of Farren's wrists had been broken in the past.

He does not know what happened to Farren's belongings after he disappeared, or who he was living with at the hotel. He doesn't know the hotel manager's name either. I may request the court records from that 1981 lawsuit and see if I can find that manager. He may be the only person who would have any additional information.

We discussed UID#1 and he is going to call down to the ME and ask them to look into it.

I am a little stunned, I felt really confident that UID #3 was him.

Thanks for the update! I also felt really confident about UID being Farren. Maybe it's NONE of the UID's, 1-3. I wonder if UID knows how Farren's wrists got broken? Was it an accident he had? Or tragic abuse in his life that forced him to flee?

I assume that DNA testing was done on UID #3. Otherwise, how could LE rule that out?

Thanks again for this new information! It sounds like this new LE official is very helpful!

Satch

Thanks for the update! I also felt really confident about UID being Farren. Maybe it's NONE of the UID's, 1-3. I wonder if UID knows how Farren's wrists got broken? Was it an accident he had? Or tragic abuse in his life that forced him to flee?

I assume that DNA testing was done on UID #3. Otherwise, how could LE rule that out?

Thanks again for this new information! It sounds like this new LE official is very helpful!

Satch

The ruleout for UID #3 was done with dentals, or possibly based on the broken wrists.

He didn't seem to know how Farren's wrists were broken.

The only other thing he said was that, according to the uncle, Farren's grandmother tried to convince him to go back home to Oregon after Farren lost his job and mother wouldn't send him any money. Farren apparently said no, and not to worry, that he would figure it out.

Hi All, i grew up in the E. Bay Area and have lived in SF for 11 years. I just wanted to provide my thoughts on this troubling case. My uncle was a gay man in the 70s and 80s and I was fortunate to have parents that embraced his lifestyle and weren't afraid for their child to be exposed to it despite the "taboo" that most felt.
I will first say that I'm confident that the National Hotel on 1139 Market is where Ferren last stayed. 1144 Market St no longer exists. It was most likely demolished when they laid the BART tracks in the late 60's (It was the Dore Gallery in the early 1900's. You can actually google it and old photos with the address will come up).
I realize we do not know if Ferren was gay. I'm going with my gut on this (sorry if I offend) and say it's highly likely. IF I stay on this path, here's what plays out in my head: Ferren had a sense of rejection from his mother if not the rest of the family for reasons we don't know (but I'm assuming I do). He decided to disappear, start a new life with a new identity as a gay man in SF. Never contacts anyone again. The likelihood that he is still alive to this day if that were to be the scenario is not favorable. The early part of the 80's were very risky for gay men-as we learned from the AIDS epidemic. A significant number of the gay population what were living in the 70s and 80's died from the disease. Any gay man in SF that is between 50-60 years old will tell you they've lost close to everyone they knew. If he succumbed to AIDS under a different identity, this case will never be solved-just take solace in knowing that Ferren lived the way he wanted to live. Perhaps a loving partner gave him a wonderful celebration of life.
OR he could still be alive today and living that life as an openly gay man...

I still believe he's alive or was alive until recent.... JMO

The ruleout for UID #3 was done with dentals, or possibly based on the broken wrists.

He didn't seem to know how Farren's wrists were broken.

The only other thing he said was that, according to the uncle, Farren's grandmother tried to convince him to go back home to Oregon after Farren lost his job and mother wouldn't send him any money. Farren apparently said no, and not to worry, that he would figure it out.

Thanks for the updates, Odyssey!

I wonder if there was more conversations with Farren and his grandmother that we don't know about that aren't in the reports? Pertaining at least to that April-May 1980 time-frame? Great research!

Satch

I still believe he's alive or was alive until recent.... JMO

He could be. Let's hope this is the case! However, if he is, I believe highly that he has changed his name, whether legally, or using an alias. If Farren's grandmother could not convince him to come home, maybe Farren strongly believed that he could not be happy at home. I assume the grandmother in question is from Ferran's Mother's side of the family. Farren had reached the Age of Majority (legal adult age) at eighteen. Therefore it's not like he could be forced back home with as a minor, with his Mother.

I feel that relationships between Farren and his Mother were not good at all. If Farren passed away soon after disappearing, he may have taken her refusal to send him money as, "She doesn't want to help me at all, therefore she doesn't want me anymore. I don't want to be a burden to my grandmother. I love her too much for that. I have to work out these issues on my own."

Satch

Just a quick update - it was just pointed out to me that Farren's DNA is now showing Submitted-Tests Complete.

Hopefully this will bring some new possibilities.

I have a copy of the lawsuit now that was filed against the hotel a couple years after Farren went missing. (Nothing to do with Farren). So I have the hotel manager's name from that time. I know it is the same manager because when Farren's uncle contacted him in the 1990's he was still there and remembered Farren.

I can't post his name here due to TOS but it is a common name so I am having difficulty trying to find him or know who is the right one.

I have a copy of the lawsuit now that was filed against the hotel a couple years after Farren went missing. (Nothing to do with Farren). So I have the hotel manager's name from that time. I know it is the same manager because when Farren's uncle contacted him in the 1990's he was still there and remembered Farren.

I can't post his name here due to TOS but it is a common name so I am having difficulty trying to find him or know who is the right one.

Welcome back, Odyssey!

Thank you for keeping Farren's case active! I think of Farren a lot, and wonder what happened to him.

Satch

Thanks Odyssey!

It would be cool if that manager would be willing to talk about Farren's case (assuming the manager is still living) might remember what Farren was like, or what specific information Farren may have said to the manager. Did the manager contact LE?

Welcome back!

Satch

No, the manager has never spoken to LE. But he did speak to Farren's uncle sometime in the 90's and was still working at the hotel at that time.

When I spoke to LE, he did not even have the manager's name. (Neither did I at that time). I should send it to him, now that you mention it.

No, the manager has never spoken to LE. But he did speak to Farren's uncle sometime in the 90's and was still working at the hotel at that time.

When I spoke to LE, he did not even have the manager's name. (Neither did I at that time). I should send it to him, now that you mention it.

Good idea; maybe they can find him

Bumping up for any updates on Farren.

Satch

Not really an update, but bringing up something from ages ago. I was rereading this thread from beginning to remind myself of what has been found, and came across this that I had posted back when dental records were still visible on NamUs. This is that main contender that has been discussed.

By the way, UID #3 frm 1144 Market Street has all wisdom teeth present. Fillings in teeth 3, 14, 19, and 30 (that's all 4 first molars).

How I wish we would have ANY info about Farren's dentals, because if he had a filling in another tooth, or a missing wisdom tooth it would be an instant rule out.

Not really an update, but bringing up something from ages ago. I was rereading this thread from beginning to remind myself of what has been found, and came across this that I had posted back when dental records were still visible on NamUs. This is that main contender that has been discussed.

By the way, UID #3 frm 1144 Market Street has all wisdom teeth present. Fillings in teeth 3, 14, 19, and 30 (that's all 4 first molars).

How I wish we would have ANY info about Farren's dentals, because if he had a filling in another tooth, or a missing wisdom tooth it would be an instant rule out.

I remember talking about this with Odyssey several months ago, maybe more. Don't know the specifics, but we were studying three UID's that were in or around the area at or near the time Farren vanished. I think one of the three was ruled out not to be Farren, but don't quote me on this. Where do we stand currently with the remaining UID's in the area? How many could possibly be Farren?

I found the great article on-line to which we are referring: (Now we don't have to go back and look through the thread to find it.)

https://whereaboutsstillunknown.wordpress.com/2013/03/31/farren-stanberry/

Satch

I remember talking about this with Odyssey several months ago, maybe more. Don't know the specifics, but we were studying three UID's that were in or around the area at or near the time Farren vanished. I think one of the three was ruled out not to be Farren, but don't quote me on this. Where do we stand currently with the remaining UID's in the area? How many could possibly be Farren?

I found the great article on-line to which we are referring: (Now we don't have to go back and look through the thread to find it.)

Farren Stanberry

Satch

The UID from the attic next door was ruled out by the SF ME before Farrens DNA was located, so probably through dentals or the lack of broken wrists on the UID.

Farrens DNA is in there now so I'm not sure whether they automatically compare to the others.

The manager of the hotel from at least 1980 to the mid 90s was named CH. He remembered Farren when Farrens uncle called there in the mid 1990s.

<modsnip>

I haven't forgotten Farren, just ran out of ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288