Found Safe NC - Emily Dowdle, 11, Catawaba County, 27 Sept 2016

CATAWBA – The search for an 11-year-old Catawba County girl who went missing Tuesday afternoon ended after the girl walked out of the forest behind her family's home on Hudson Chapel Road at approximately 9:15 p.m. Wednesday, Catawba County Sheriff Coy Reid said.

Authorities had suspended the search for Emily Jaide Dowdle, a Catawba Elementary student, around 8 p.m. It is unknown how Dowdle avoided discovery by search teams for the duration of her 31-hour disappearance.
http://www.hickoryrecord.com/news/o...cle_d8c0b3a4-85e6-11e6-8b02-077529344cbd.html

Now that she is found I hope she gets the love and support she needs and I hope she is not embarrassed by all the attention her hiding caused. Lots of people cared and just wanted you home safe Emily!

Wow. That was an emotional roller coaster. I'm relieved ED has been found.

i couldn't be happier! I didn't expect the best outcome and i'm so relieved that my expectations were off!!! Bless you Emily!

GREAT! I wonder why she decided to come out, and why the dogs didn't track her scent? No matter what, I hope she is okay. I feel bad for her losing her mom. It messed her up and she needs counseling.

Had a feeling it was her mom, I was 30 when my Mom was diagnosed with cancer and nearly lost my damn mind and needed a lot of help. I can't imagine it at 11. :(
Thank God she is safe and can get all the help she needs.

Great news! Now I hope she gets the help she needs.

There is a new post on the find Emily fb page from someone saying she's been in touch with family and it has not been confirmed that she ran away. So many questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What makes me happy about all of this (other than Emily being found safe of course) is that even though LE and the FBI thought she had run away they still treated her disappearance as a missing child. If someone had taken her precious time would have been lost if LE just treated it as a runaway case. I guess I'm saying better safe than sorry in missing children cases.

:happydance: I'm so thankful she's safe! :happydance: :happydance:

Praying for her and her family and hoping she can get the help she needs.

Great outcome, but the guesses as to what was going on ... oh my.

9 days out of school, cloning parental email and then using it to write permission/notice of her being out of school...

Well then. Someone's going to be grounded, methinks.

She cloned her parents email?? to send messages that she would be absent for 9 DAYS IN A ROW. The school sent people to her house last weekend to investigate but her parents had gone out of town for a long weekend and left Emily at another family member's house so no one was home...And now Emily is in DSS custody pending an investigation into why she did all that and hid in the woods for 30 hours. Wow.

Unbelievable how smart kids are today with computers.

Guess LE had checked her parent's computer and discovered the cloning of the email, so that is why they were so sure she had run away.

Unbelievable how smart kids are today with computers.

Guess LE had checked her parent's computer and discovered the cloning of the email, so that is why they were so sure she had run away.

Earlier stories said her parents found out on Monday she had been skipping. Her father drove her to school on Tuesday morning. She knew she would be in trouble when she got home Tuesday. That's why they knew right away that she ran away. I do wonder when the "cloning" of the email was discovered. It could have been LE that figured out HOW she did it. If it wasn't discovered how she managed to skip for 9 days until she ran away they might have thought an adult taught her how to clone the email. I wouldn't have a clue...

This is a crazy story. Eleven is still very young for all of this. Why does a kid want to miss school (for 9 days consecutively). She's a smart kid coming up with such a clever trick. Hopefully she can get some counseling and get back on track. I hope the electronics are locked down in her house for a long time!

When I was in high school (way back in the 80's), I got 2 sets of all the back to school parental forms and gave 1 to my mom. I completed the other one. I turned in the one I completed to the school office and then wrote all the absence notes I wanted to skip class and nobody ever questioned it since the notes were my "mom's" hand writing. I did fine and still graduated with honors. Can't imagine what I would have done with all this technology.

I'm glad DSS is being thorough. From all accounts, her home is fine but as others have noted, looks can be deceiving. For such extreme measures to skip school and runaway, I hope they get to the bottom of things and ensure supportive services are in place.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

They are investigating "how she managed to survive"? Are they kidding? A healthy 11 year old in the woods in North Carolina for 30 hours in September? It's very hard to imagine she wouldn't have survived it, barring foul play.

That was a bit funny the way it was worded. It's not as if she was hiding in the woods for a week. It's still pretty serious that she ran away though and if she doesn't have major issues in the home I hope she is made to understand what COULD have happened to her out there. There are animal predators and human predators that could have hurt her. She's obviously a smart girl to figure out how to clone her parents e-mail. I hope she uses that mind of hers for good things in the future.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back