Ross Harris Trial Jury Selection - Tweets, News & Discussion (Brunswick)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Claire Simms ‏@Claire_FOX5 7m7 minutes ago
Prosecutor says he has 6 more questions, will likely take 5 more minutes. #RossHarris

Claire Simms ‏@Claire_FOX5 7m7 minutes ago
Question: Anyone here ever been through a divorce? #RossHarris

Claire Simms ‏@Claire_FOX5 3m3 minutes ago
Question: Does anyone have such strong feelings about the justice system that it would impact your ability to be impartial? No jurors

Claire Simms ‏@Claire_FOX5 5m5 minutes ago
The prosecution is done with general questions for the jurors. Court will soon recess for lunch. #RossHarris

I guess no one came back after lunch? The roof leak must be pretty bad.

I guess no one came back after lunch? The roof leak must be pretty bad.

They came back after lunch. I spent the entire afternoon listening to the first 4 jurors being questioned. Here are my thoughts based solely on my memory (in note form):

Juror 1 - Nothing out of the ordinary, grandfather
Juror 2 - I was intrigued. Her sister has forgotten her niece in the car because she was talking on phone to prospective juror (not for long periods of time and child was never hurt). Sounds like it was on more than one occasion. Sister also leaves a baby monitor in the back seat so she could her her baby if she forgets. Said she had an opinion on whether a parent could forget a child. DT asked her what that opinion was, but state objected to that question. Judge Staley upheld the objection. Her dad used to be police chief in Glynn County. Juror has been to Cobb County. Has been called as a witness in a couple of cases. She was extensively questioned. By far the longest interview of the day.
Juror 3 - Surmising that she is not going to be friendly to DT. Older woman. Still uses a flip phone. Responsible for daycare drop-off of her two grandchildren for a year or two. Very small online footprint. Her DIL cheated on her son, and now she is an ex-DIL.
Juror 4 - Young (in the words of the attorneys), age 29 IIRC, worked same job for 4.5 years, has come dressed in suit and tie both days, Kilgore said he noticed and appreciated that, wants to be on jury, has had a bad experience with LE that he wished to discuss in private

I think that Kilgore made a compelling argument about the ruling on the question to juror #2. He said that jury selection/interviews were intended to find bias, and he asked a question specifically allowed by GA code. He read the appropriate section of code, and I found his argument compelling. He also lamented that having two questions struck (I can't recall the other but think that it was also asked to juror #2) gives jurors the impression that he does not know what he is doing. He seemed to be laying the groundwork that the proceedings/objections were biasing the potential jurors against the DT.

ETA - I laughed aloud when the jury was asked if they have ever commented on the JRH case on any public forum. None of them had.

They came back after lunch. I spent the entire afternoon listening to the first 4 jurors being questioned. Here are my thoughts based solely on my memory (in note form):

Juror 1 - Nothing out of the ordinary, grandfather
Juror 2 - I was intrigued. Her sister has forgotten her niece in the car because she was talking on phone to prospective juror (not for long periods of time and child was never hurt). Sounds like it was on more than one occasion. Sister also leaves a baby monitor in the back seat so she could her her baby if she forgets. Said she had an opinion on whether a parent could forget a child. DT asked her what that opinion was, but state objected to that question. Judge Staley upheld the objection. Her dad used to be police chief in Glynn County. Juror has been to Cobb County. Has been called as a witness in a couple of cases. She was extensively questioned. By far the longest interview of the day.
Juror 3 - Surmising that she is not going to be friendly to DT. Older woman. Still uses a flip phone. Responsible for daycare drop-off of her two grandchildren for a year or two. Very small online footprint. Her DIL cheated on her son, and now she is an ex-DIL.
Juror 4 - Young (in the words of the attorneys), age 29 IIRC, worked same job for 4.5 years, has come dressed in suit and tie both day, Kilgore said he noticed and appreciated that, wants to be on jury, has had a bad experience with LE that he wished to discuss in private

I think that Kilgore made a compelling argument about the ruling on the question to juror #2. He said that jury selection/interviews were intended to find bias, and he asked a question specifically allowed by GA code. He read the appropriate section of code, and I found his argument compelling. He also lamented that having two questions struck give jurors the impression that he does not know what he is doing. He seemed to be laying the groundwork that the proceedings were biasing the potential jurors.

ETA - I laughed aloud when the jury was asked if they have ever commented on the JRH case on any public forum. None of them had.

Want to get out of jury duty? Say you read Websleuths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RBBM

Ha! Tssiemer may have a point. :gathering: Thanks for the info GA_Peach!

While a majority of potential jurors say they have heard something about Ross Harris and what he’s accused of, attorneys on both sides remain optimistic they can find a fair jury.

The hope is to complete questioning of the first 36 potential jurors by the end of Wednesday. The next batch of 36 potential jurors is being called to show up Thursday morning.

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/ross-harris-trial/ross-harris-jury-questioning-continues/318002214

Christian Boone ‏@ReporterJCB 47m47 minutes ago Brunswick, GA
#RossHarris trial starting on time for once -- think you'll see a concerted effort to pick up the pace today #hotcardeath

Christian Boone ‏@ReporterJCB 13m13 minutes ago Brunswick, GA
Juror 5 used to live in Cobb, her husband knows judge's son #RossHarris #hotcardeath

Christian Boone ‏@ReporterJCB 53s53 seconds ago Brunswick, GA
45 mins spent questioning Juror 5 -- and she'll be questioned again #RossHarris #hotcardeath

Ross Harris Trial ‏@HarrisTrialFOX5 21m21 minutes ago
Defense attorney Kilgore asks "have you watched the Netflix hit 'Making a Murderer'?" #RossHarris

Sloane Glass ‏@SloaneFOX5 7m7 minutes ago
Question: "have you ever experienced unexpected trauma?"

Ross Harris Trial ‏@HarrisTrialFOX5 3m3 minutes ago

Defense asks personal questions: "Have you ever been cheated on?" #RossHarris #hotcardeath

Ross Harris Trial ‏@HarrisTrialFOX5 6m6 minutes ago

Q: "have you ever talked online with someone you've never met in person?" #RossHarris #hotcardeath

Veronica Waters ‏@MissVWaters 3m3 minutes ago
#RossHarris prosecutor moves to strike Juror #6 after finding he has long rap sheet, not 1st offender status as claimed. @wsbradio

#RossHarris prosecutor also notes Juror #6 had an "odor of marijuana" & "slept 60-70%" of the time" in courtroom. Judge nixes him. @wsbradio

Christian Boone ‏@ReporterJCB 6m6 minutes ago
Individual questions begin, Juror 1 #RossHarris #hotcardeath

Veronica Waters ‏@MissVWaters 4m4 minutes ago
Jury pool is to return at 2:00, but we are continuing court action. Starting individual questioning of #RossHarris jurors. @wsbradio

36 jurors, 27 of whom have read or seen coverage.

(The 36 were divided into 3 panels of 12).

You can see that moving the trial did help. 25% of jurors in that group have not read or seen any coverage for this case. If that number holds true for all the jurors, 25% of 250 will be 63 jurors who don't know anything about the case. More than enough. I've seen a lot of comments online that say you have to move the trial to Mars to find people who don't know every detail and IDK why some people seem to think that?

Asking #RossHarris jurors about opinions. Juror #1 believes "He's not innocent" but isn't saying he's guilty. "He did something." @wsbradio

Christian Boone ‏@ReporterJCB 3m3 minutes ago Brunswick, GA
Juror 1 "formed an opinion #RossHarris is not innocent" #hotcardeath

#RossHarris Juror #1 has an opinion, but would try to be open to evidence at trial if judge ordered him to presume innocence. @wsbradio

Veronica Waters ‏@MissVWaters 1m1 minute ago
#RossHarris Juror #1 is told to come back October 3 at 9:00. Judge tells him to "keep an open mind." @wsbradio

Christian Boone ‏@ReporterJCB 53s53 seconds ago Brunswick, GA
Opening statements won't start Oct 3, judge confirms #RossHarris #hotcardeath

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 3m3 minutes ago
#RossHarris - Court in recess until 1:30.

Wes Wolfe ‏@WesWolfeBN 1m1 minute ago Brunswick, GA

Posted up at the Glynn County Courthouse for afternoon session of #RossHarris. We'll be starting late.

Veronica Waters ‏@MissVWaters 9m9 minutes ago
Back at #RossHarris jury selection: Juror #2 heard about the case via a Google News story in a box. No opinion about the case. @wsbradio

#RossHarris Juror #2 experience with law enforcement; going to see uncle; cop pulled her over; "half of Glynn County" force showed up.

Duffie Dixon 11Alive Verified account ‏@DuffieDixon 2m2 minutes ago
2nd potential juror makes it to the final pool. A single woman who says she believes she can be fair and imparital hearing #RossHarris case

Veronica Waters ‏@MissVWaters 55s56 seconds ago
Juror #2 says she's impartial. #RossHarris judge tells her to return Oct 3. She's single, no kids. 2nd person qualified. @wsbradio

Veronica Waters ‏@MissVWaters 2m2 minutes ago
#RossHarris Juror #3's opinion: "There is no excuse for that...there's just no way you could do this. If you did, that's murder." @wsbradio

Christian Boone ‏@ReporterJCB 2m2 minutes ago Brunswick, GA
"I don't think there's any excuse fur leaving a child in a car" Juror 3 #RossHarris #hotcardeath

Veronica Waters ‏@MissVWaters 49s49 seconds ago
#RossHarris judge tells Juror #3 to return 10/3. Now, I'm now rethinking tweets about what "Come back Oct 3" really means @wsbradio

Christian Boone ‏@ReporterJCB 1m1 minute ago Brunswick, GA
Juror 4 wants to serve on jury - usually those who want to aren't chosen #RossHarris #hotcardeath

Bill Rankin ‏@ajccourts 2m2 minutes ago
Jurors' thoughts about #RossHarris case surface: "There's no excuse for leaving a child in a car," said Juror #4. "... That's murder."

Veronica Waters ‏@MissVWaters 56s56 seconds ago
#RossHarris Juror #4 is the one who said he wants to serve. Now describing being pulled over at 19. Cops claimed they found meth in his car.

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 13m13 minutes ago
#RossHarris - That makes 4 jurors coming back on Oct 3.

Veronica Waters ‏@MissVWaters 13m13 minutes ago
#RossHarris Juror #5 heard of case right after it happened. Read several articles. @wsbradio

Veronica Waters ‏@MissVWaters 12m12 minutes ago
#RossHarris Juror #5 recalls JRH drove to work; left desk several times but didn't find tot; had "inappropriate Internet activity" @wsbradio

Veronica Waters ‏@MissVWaters 6m6 minutes ago
#RossHarris Juror #5 voice breaks saying she feels duty to serve, but if she doesn't work, family won't have much-needed income @wsbradio

#RossHarris Juror #5 says she's fascinated by human interest aspect of this. Also by when people say in absolutes "I could never do that"

Veronica Waters ‏@MissVWaters 2m2 minutes ago
#RossHarris Juror #5 told to come back Oct 3. Judge says "Tell your husband my son says hello"

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 8m8 minutes ago
#RossHarris - #5 will report back. #6 was previously booted due to felony conviction. Now questioning #7.

#RossHarris Juror #7 heard of case coming to Brunswick. Heard JRH went to work, discovered baby later. Heard of sexual messages with minors.

Veronica Waters ‏@MissVWaters 31s32 seconds ago
#RossHarris Juror #8 says her opinion is that JRH is guilty. "Is it so fixed and definite you can't put it aside?" Yes, she says. @wsbradio

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 57s58 seconds ago
#RossHarris - Juror #8 - Woman says he's guilty and she can't put her opinion aside.
And yet, she's coming back Oct. 3rd. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members