Confirmation Of Huckaby Suicide Attempt Prior to Arrest

Sheesh, I've never heard of anyone swallowing any type of blades.
If they were the regular size x-actos, I don't know how she swallowed the blades.
You would think they would get hung in her throat.
nurse jumping in here... I have seen all kinds of objects swallowed and shoved into any part of the body in the ER.

This is my take on these blades. It was reported as a confirmation (so just going with that) of her "suicide attempt". IIrc, she or her father in that raw interview said that Melissa went to the hospital in the middle of the night for stomach pain and I can kind of see it (moo of course) unfolding this way:

Melissa eats the blades for attention (I mean come on there are a lot of ways to kill yourself and that way is not only slow...but also not certain.. by the time she is writhing in pain from the sharps doing damage she can still be saved. I think her choice of "tool" speaks loudly!). She puts them in a food so she can swallow them without cutting her mouth. She never went to sleep that night... waits until her grandparents are asleep than wakes them up to tell them she needs to go to the hospital because of her horrible stomache pain. Once at the ER she spills the beans or the beans are spilled on her when they do a flat plate of the abdomen (xray) and she has to come clean. They do a scope and pull blades out (no surgery..) and keep her the required 72 hours (that is how long she was there).

The only person who said the word "internal bleeding" was Melissa. And I think that is what she wanted the blades to result in... to take focus off of her and her family and for attention.

just moo of course:twocents:

Why does everyone think there was no surgery? I haven't read anything, did I miss it?

I assumed she had surgery because I didn't think it would be a good idea to let those blades "pass." But it appears I'm the only one that made such an assumption. :waitasec:

TIA,

Salem

PS - joga this is not intended to you personally, just a general question. Your post was just a good jumping off place :)

i guess i based my assumption on the news report not saying anything about a surgery...i just felt like they would have mentioned that as it would lend credence to an actual suicide attempt. she could have had surgery, i know they are pretty in and out these days?? who knows with this woman!!

As far as it being a suicide attempt, I think most of us here know that if a person truly intends to die from suicide, they will succeed. There are ways to kill oneself that are unsurvivable. This (if it is true) was a way to garner attention, put off the inevitable, or something else. I dunno what it was, but it was not a true attempt to kill herself.
This family is in denial. If there was abuse going on, they would be the kind of family to just sweep it under the rug, never speak of it and pretend it didn't happen. All to protect their good name. If that was the case, it kind of backfired....

all this is JMO.

Makes perfect sense to me, NeeBee! Thanks!

I think you are right...except I think she had hoped it would take the attention off her grandparents and put it directly on her (which is also why I think she did the subsequent interviews with Tracy Press etc.). The focus was all on them and they were getting all the bad press...which to her was still attention. She probably thought someone would notice she was hospitalized and give her a ton of sympathy over it. LE noticed, but no one except the reporter figured it out! (WTG, JW!)

If she truly wanted to commit suicide, she would have used one blade and slit her arms lengthwise in a remote location where no one could have saved her, imo.

(What do ya bet this girl possibly has swallowed other things such as glass etc. before and knew this was survivable?)

So true. BTW, exactly HOW do you swallow 3 exacto knife blades?

I was wondering if they were the blades in some box cutters that are sectioned off in 1/2 inch pieces (you break them off as they dull)? I don't even know how a person would get one of those down unless they wrapped it in food and swallowed?

I'm sorry I feel No Pitty for this woman If she really wanted to kill her self she should have slit her wrist or if possible cut her throat.
It makes me sick when people do these types of crime to childeren and then are able to plea bargain a deal to a lesser charged or when sent to prision they are placed in P.C. instead of General Population.

This might be on the wrong thread, but there was some discussion of Munchausen's by Proxy and I wondered if the person suffering from Munchausen's ever turns the attacks back toward themselves to keep the attention on them? I am kind of wondering this because she led the police to her with her suitcase and seems to have been inserting herself into this case rather than laying low and avoiding the limelight (like it seems many murderers do)?

Swallowing razor blade type objects seems like an odd way to attempt suicide?

I still can't figure out how a person swallows a razor, wrapped or not, and doesn't cut off their uvula (the hanging down thing in the throat)?

When did all this happen? She was in the hospital on suicide watch just before the arraignment? How did they get the blades out? It doesn't seem plausible that the doctors waited for the blades to be expelled in the stools.

Certainly the police would have known about this I doubt if it is true.

It happened the night they found Sandra's body... she was interviewed by LE while in the hospital

WS'ers!!! Both glving and Nurse Beem have been tellin' ya...likely the ER staff got the blades out (if true) with a nice long magnet on a scope just like vets often do when cattle ingest metal bits.

nurse jumping in here... I have seen all kinds of objects swallowed and shoved into any part of the body in the ER.

This is my take on these blades. It was reported as a confirmation (so just going with that) of her "suicide attempt". IIrc, she or her father in that raw interview said that Melissa went to the hospital in the middle of the night for stomach pain and I can kind of see it (moo of course) unfolding this way:

Melissa eats the blades for attention (I mean come on there are a lot of ways to kill yourself and that way is not only slow...but also not certain.. by the time she is writhing in pain from the sharps doing damage she can still be saved. I think her choice of "tool" speaks loudly!). She puts them in a food so she can swallow them without cutting her mouth. She never went to sleep that night... waits until her grandparents are asleep than wakes them up to tell them she needs to go to the hospital because of her horrible stomache pain. Once at the ER she spills the beans or the beans are spilled on her when they do a flat plate of the abdomen (xray) and she has to come clean. They do a scope and pull blades out (no surgery..) and keep her the required 72 hours (that is how long she was there).

The only person who said the word "internal bleeding" was Melissa. And I think that is what she wanted the blades to result in... to take focus off of her and her family and for attention.

just moo of course:twocents:

Thanks for the info. But I question the 72 hours--that's three days. When was she released? Or when did she go in? The LE must have been questioning her all along.

You obviously have more medical experience than I do. But how can they remove the blades with a scope?

Still sounds fishy to me.

WS'ers!!! Both glving and Nurse Beem have been tellin' ya...likely the ER staff got the blades out (if true) with a nice long magnet on a scope just like vets often do when cattle ingest metal bits.

Okay, something I didn't know. Do they enter in the anus and pull out? Or where?

If this is true why hasn't it come out before?

I'm not questioning your medical info. If this istrue it sure shows MH's mental problems. Why couldn't she have overdosed with her psycotic meds? This gal is truly sick.

Being discussed on JVM, they showed the pic of the "Exacto" blades she swallowed. Yikes.

There is a protective covering for the exacto blade....comes with the exacto knife. Imo, depending on ones gag reflex, they wouldn't be hard to swallow. More than likely this wasn't her first experience.

There is no good side to Sandra's death but it is good this woman was caught due to... what suggests.. inexperience.

I have believed this article since I read it and posted it.

It fits the scenarios, it fits the person "Huckaby".

There is a protective covering for the exacto blade....comes with the exacto knife. Imo, depending on ones gag reflex, they wouldn't be hard to swallow. More than likely this wasn't her first experience.

There is no good side to Sandra's death but it is good this woman was caught due to... what suggests.. inexperience.

Perhaps she did swallow a blade with a cover on it and perhaps that passes with a bowel movement. Perhaps the hospital used a scope tool to remove them. I'm still in disbelief that anyone would chose this as a suicide method?

I just don't understand (the whole case, not your post).

What do you believe isn't her "first experience"? Swallowing razor type objects or suicide attempts?

Do you believe her inexperience is in the act of murder?

(Does she seem addicted to attention?) UGH! The questions that surround this woman and this case are too much for me to grasp.

Thanks for the info. But I question the 72 hours--that's three days. When was she released? Or when did she go in? The LE must have been questioning her all along.

You obviously have more medical experience than I do. But how can they remove the blades with a scope?

Still sounds fishy to me.

She went in on Monday and was released on Thurs. which fits into the 72 psych hold.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back