Lyons Sisters Media and Document Links **NO DISCUSSION**

In this last report it state Melanie Ganas was supposed to call again at 3pm. I wondered if she ever called??

Good point!! If there wasn't anyone home at the Lyon's house, Melanie would have to answer that.

You ask some very good questions about Mr. Coffey and his move from Virginia to Maryland. I don't think that anyone has ever been able to answer those specifics, mainly because of the long time between the events of March and April 1975, and the time that he came to the attention of Montgomery County Police in 1987.

Fred Coffey was a First Class Petty Officer in the US Navy, just finishing his third (4-year) enlistment in Norfolk, Virginia when he was arrested and charged with the rape of a 13-year-old girl in Virginia Beach. The Navy did not prosecute him (that was done by Civil Authorities there), but they did not allow him to re-enlist for a fourth "hitch". He was discharged from the Navy 17 September 1974.
Coffey had entered the Navy in 1962, when he had just turned 17. His prior duty station (before being stationed in Norfolk) was in Southern California, so he also had contacts on the West Coast. During his West Coast time, he had been deployed to VietNam. This would have been roughly in the 1966 - 1970 time frame.
It is possible that Coffey may have actually left the Norfolk, VA area prior to his discharge date, because he may have had unused leave on the books. So his exact Virginia departure date is not known - but it probably would have been some time after August 1974 and before April 1975.

Coffey had family and connections in Bristol, Va and in North Carolina. Bristol is in the extreme west part of Virginia, close to Tennessee and North Carolina. He may have spent some time there in 1974 and 1975.

When exactly he came to Maryland has not been definitely established, to my knowledge. A newspaper reported (in 1987) that he interviewed for his job at Vitro Laboratories in Wheaton/Aspen Hill/Rockville (they had several offices), Maryland on 1 April 1975, and that he actually began work there on 23 April 1975. LE, however, have indicated that they believe he already had the job prior to leaving Virginia and that he may have gotten assistance through his Navy connections to obtain that employment. Vitro Laboratories was a defense contracting firm which had many contracts with the Navy.

Coffey listed on his VITRO job application that his address was the Holiday Motel in Gaithersburg/Rockville, northwest of Wheaton, but within an easy commute of all VITRO offices.

Coffey left his job at Vitro without prior notice in late July 1975. (His departure coincided with a vicious attack on another young girl, Kathy Lynn Beatty,14, of Aspen Hill, MD.) He later sent his employer a letter of resignation, with the explanation for his sudden departure being that his wife and daughter had been injured in a car accident in Kentucky. This was a fabrication and one which he used again with another employer following a departure under suspicious circumstances. So, although the car wreck story was made up, it is possible that he did have a wife and daughter living in Kentucky.

Coffey was back in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area of Virginia in October 1975 when he was arrested for "Contributing the the Delinquency of a Minor" in an incident involving a 15-year-old girl. By the end of 1975, he had enlisted in the North Carolina National Guard with an Artillery unit.

Coffey is reported to have owned many vehicles, and as you can see, livid in, or traveled to many different places in the 1974-1975 time frame.

Regarding the search for the girls, you are correct in that the initial police search centered on the shopping center, nearby woods, and the residential area of Kensington adjacent to Wheaton Plaza. No sign of the girls was ever found there, leading most investigators to think that they were probably taken from the area shortly after the last sighting of them.

About a month after the girls disappeared, there was a very large scale search involving National Guard, police, helicopters, and numerous volunteers. This search was conducted in wooded areas to the west of Kensington. Articles of clothing were found, but they were determined to NOT belong to the girls. No trace of Katherine or Sheila has ever been found.

richard i noticed you had military info about Coffey. Is there a place one can go to get military records for people? Just basics like date of enlistment, date of discharge, dates and locations of assignments/deployments?

i am trying to get some military info on another case and thought you had to either be related, or the person in question to request military record information.

Any direction you can give me on this would be a huge help and greatly appreciated. I've kinda run into a wall on my other case.

Here is the text of a UPI feed story which was picked up and printed by a California newspaper on 8 April 1975. It provides some details about the story of the Beige or Tan Ford Station Wagon which was reported by an IBM executive to police as possibly containing the Lyon Sisters and their abductor.

Of interest is that news of the LYON sisters disappearance seems to have been spread through out the country. Although it was major news in the Washington DC metropolitan area for weeks.

------------------------------------------
The Daily Review
Hayward, California
Tuesday, April 8, 1975

MISSING GIRLS MAY BE ALIVE

Fairfax VA, (UPI) The sighting of a car monday carrying two girls, reportedly bound and gagged, has raised hopes that two young Maryland sisters who disappeared two weeks ago may still be alive, law enforcement officials said today.

Maryland and Virginia authorities began the search for the elusive beige station wagon, a 1968 Ford with 1975 Maryland plates, early Monday, after a Manassas Virginia citizen reported seeing two blonde haired girls, both tied in the rear of the car. It was subsequently spotted by citizens in several Northern Virginia towns, but disappeared early Monday evening south of Falls Church.
The girls reportedly resembled Sheila Lyon, 13, and her 11-year-old sister, Katherine, of Kensington MD, who were last seen on March 25 in a shopping center at Wheaton MD. A massive ground, air, and water search had failed to turn up any clues to the whereabouts of the two girls.

Authorities said they were told by the Manassas citizen that the driver of the car, a white-haired man in his fifties, resembled a composite sketch last week of a man believed to have talked to the girls shortly before they disappeared. The witness said when he tried to get a closer look, the car sped off through a red light.

bolded by me for reference

This is the first i have heard about other sightings on 4/1/75. i discounted the one sighting because it just seemed off, but with several subsequent sightings maybe the beige car deserves another look.

This story appeared in the Washington Post Newspaper 27 1999. It tells of pre trial hearings in the murder trial of Hadden Clark, who was accused of killing little Michelle Dorr. Throughout the trial, John Lyon appeared beside Carl Dorr.

While this article is dated, it does refer to the disappearancer of the Lyon girls, Sheila and Katherine.

Hadden Clark was subsequently convicted of murdering Michelle and prior to sentencing, he led police to her grave, which was in a wooded area between the Naval Surface Weapons Center and White Oak Shopping Center in Montgomery County.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Trial Starts in Disappearance of Montgomery Girl

By Katherine Shaver
Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, September 27, 1999; Page B1 When Hadden Clark goes on trial today in Montgomery County in the 1986 disappearance and presumed murder of 6-year-old Michele Dorr, two fathers will be watching and listening with particular interest.

Still stunned after 13 years, Carl Dorr says he cannot truly believe his little girl is dead until he hears the details, no matter how grisly, for himself.
Sitting beside him, as he has through almost every court hearing over the past year, will be John Lyon, another Montgomery father who knows the pain parents feel when their children vanish.

On a spring afternoon in 1975, Lyon's daughters, 10-year-old Katherine and 12-year-old Sheila, left their Kensington home for a half-mile walk to Wheaton Plaza and were never seen again. No one has been arrested in the case.

Lyon, a former disc jockey for WMAL radio, is now a county victims' assistant assigned to help Carl Dorr endure what is expected to be a three-week trial. As he has for the families of many crime victims, Lyon says, he tries to give Dorr emotional support and an experienced eye into an often bewildering criminal justice system. This trial, Lyon says, will be his "therapy," too.

"I think we've found some kind of kinship in this morbid similarity of our lives," Lyon says of his friendship with Dorr.

"We don't dwell on it," Lyon says. But later, he adds, "Sometimes I think this could be my trial."

The two fathers have talked about the pain, mixed with horror and disbelief, that overwhelmed and forever changed their lives. They have talked about the feeling they get--like a jabbing dart--whenever they hear their daughters' names.

They have compared notes about being consumed with profound grief and then finding themselves the initial, immediate suspects. They have shared the dismay over the well-intentioned but ignorant advice of strangers who tell them, "Someday you'll get over this."

And, mostly, they say, they rack their brains with the same question: How can little girls just disappear?
"I know how hard it is to make sense of what happened," Dorr says. "I had a hard enough time with one. I can't imagine how he dealt with two missing."

On May 31, 1986, a hot, lazy Saturday afternoon, Carl Dorr had a visitor. It was his weekend with Michele, a shy little girl with brown hair and freckles. He and his wife, Dorothy, had undergone a messy divorce, and they were still arguing over custody and child support for the kindergartner.

After a morning of television cartoons and a quick trip to a 7-Eleven, Dorr recalls, he and Michele ate lunch together, and he filled up the green plastic wading pool in the fenced-in back yard on Sudbury Road in Silver Spring. He promised Michele that at 4 p.m., they'd go to opening day at the big pool near her mother's home in Montgomery Village.

He last saw his daughter, he says, about 12:30 p.m., padding barefoot out the kitchen door. She wore a hot-pink one-piece bathing suit with a ruffle and white polka dots. A colorful towel trailed behind her.

She didn't return from the play pool, Dorr says, but he heard his neighbor's sons one house over kicking around a soccer ball. He says he assumed Michele, who was friends with the boys' sister, had gone over to play, too.

Shortly after Michele failed to return home for the promised 4 p.m. trip to the pool, Dorr says, he went looking.Montgomery prosecutors James Trusty and Debbie Dwyer have argued that Michele did wander over to her playmates' house two doors down but came across Hadden Clark, her friend's uncle.

Clark, then 33 and a cook at Chevy Chase Country Club, had been living with his brother but was moving out that afternoon at his brother's insistence, prosecutors said.

Clark, prosecutors said, was angry over being ordered to leave and, in a twisted act of revenge against his brother, killed the little neighbor girl in his niece's bedroom, then scrubbed the floor clean of her blood and made off with her body.

Montgomery Circuit Court Judge Michael D. Mason said he would rule this morning on whether the jury may hear what prosecutors have called a crucial detail: In 1992, while still a suspect in Michele's disappearance, Clark was charged with the murder of Laura Houghteling, 23, a recent Harvard graduate who disappeared from her mother's Bethesda home.

On the opening day of his trial in the Houghteling case, Clark accepted a last-minute plea agreement and pleaded guilty to second-degree murder before leading police to a shallow grave along Old Georgetown Road. He is serving a 30-year sentence for Houghteling's murder. But Clark has pleaded not guilty in Michele's death. His attorneys, assistant public defenders Brian Shefferman and Donald Salzman, have argued that hearing about the Houghteling case would unduly prejudice the jury.

They say Clark's time card at the country club will show that he punched in for work about 2:30 p.m. on the afternoon Michele disappeared. The results of new DNA tests allegedly linking Michele's blood to blood found on the handle of a knife Clark owned are debatable, they say. The rest of the prosecution's evidence is circumstantial, they have said, and too flimsy to prove that Clark played any role in Michele's disappearance, let alone her slaying.

Prosecutors readily concede their case against Clark is far from airtight. Their witnesses will be relying on 13-year-old memories. One prosecution witness has died, and police detectives will be called out of retirement to testify.Because Michele's body has not been recovered, their first hurdle could be convincing a jury that there even was a murder. Jurors will have to take their word about the knife with the bloody handle. It was mistakenly thrown away with other evidence from the Houghteling case.

Prosecutors also have conceded that much of their case rests on the credibility of Clark's fellow prison inmates. They are scheduled to testify that Clark boasted to them that, in addition to killing Houghteling, he cut a little girl in his brother's home and carried her body out in a duffel bag.
Another potential boon for the defense: One man--and it's not Hadden Clark--did admit to Michele's slaying.

Ten days after Michele disappeared, Carl Dorr checked into a psychiatric hospital ranting and raving about killing his daughter.When a child disappears, police say, the parents are naturally the immediate suspects. Dorr says police leaned on him, grilled him in his grief, until he snapped.

"They said, 'If we find the body, you're the guy we're going to put this on,' " Dorr says. "It was too much to deal with."

Every time John Lyon walks past the metal detectors at the doors of the Rockville courthouse, he must flash an identification badge to the security guards. Opposite the badge, in the small leather case, are two small photos of Katherine and Sheila.

One of his sons, Jay, who was 15 when his sisters disappeared, is now a 39-year-old homicide detective with Montgomery police, but John Lyon says the family doesn't hear much news on the case.

A few times a year, the Montgomery County Police Department hears from the FBI that a national database of missing people has gotten a hit on the Lyon sisters, says police lieutenant Mike Garvey, one of the original investigators on the case.

Somewhere in the country, bones have been unearthed. Or someone has been arrested for a child abduction elsewhere, and those detectives think the suspect might have passed through Maryland. Nothing has panned out. Besides Michele, Garvey says, Sheila and Katherine remain the only active case of missing children in the county.

In spring 1998, on the 23rd anniversary of the girls' disappearance, Lyon, his wife, Mary, their two grown sons and five grandchildren planted a weeping cherry tree and small flower garden in a local cemetery. Nearby, they placed a stone marker etched with Sheila's and Katherine's names, their birthdays and the day they vanished. They visit once a week.

"It's unbelievable that people can disappear off the face of the Earth without a trace when they find dinosaur bones and identify them," Lyon says. "But maybe it's God's plan or something. If it's something you could understand, then it would be easier to tell you how we get through it."

Michele Dorr's mother, Dee Dee Appleby, has left Montgomery County. She is planning to go to Clark's trial but did not feel emotionally ready to attend the pretrial hearings, her attorney says.Michele's father, now a real estate appraiser, has moved from the home where Michele disappeared. He says he has not brought himself to buy a gravestone.

He bristles when people ask whether this trial will bring him "closure," something he says doesn't happen when your child, or at least her body, is still out there somewhere.

As Lyon told him shortly after they met, "It doesn't get any better."
But at least, Lyon says, Carl Dorr might finally get some answers.

"I think he needs attitude to go through this [trial], to hear what he's going to hear," Lyon says. "You have to prepare yourself like a fighter ready for the big one. He's been waiting a long time for this."

LINK:
Washingtonpost.com: Trial Starts in Disappearance of Montgomery Girl

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/daily/sept99/dorr27.htm

The Lyon case was mentioned briefly on Channel 4 news 4 February 2010. The story was about a retired Montgomery County Police Detective, Bob Phillips, who has been working on a number of cold cases.

This year marks the 35th anniversary of the disappearance of Sheila and Katherine Lyon.

Joe Krebs, one of the writers of this story, is a regular morning News 4 anchorman, but he also has covered a lot of Metropolitan Washington DC Cold Cases in the past, featuring them on a weekly news spot.

-------------------------------------------------------

Retired Detective Breathes Life Into Cold Cases

Bob Phillips works to solve murder mysteries
By JOE KREBS and ARLENE BORENSTEIN
Updated 9:00 PM EST, Thu, Feb 4, 2010

Some of the worst crimes are the ones that are never solved at all.

Cold cases and murder mysteries are especially haunting to the detectives who spend countless hours trying to figure them out.

Not to mention the families who have survived without their loved ones and moved on without justice.

Sgt. Bob Phillips, a retired detective with the Montgomery County Police Department has committed much of his time to try and bring closure to some of these decades-old cases.

"I actually started before I retired in 2000. I took it upon myself to start reading them. "

After he retired, he volunteered a couple of days a week to go through old case files. Eventually, the County got a grant to pay him for two days a week.

Many of the cases involve murdered women.32-year old Dr. Le Bich Thuy was murdered on September 28th, 1994.

Phillips was still a detective with the department and remembers what he saw when they finally found her body at her home in Rockville on October 3rd of that year.

"I remember responding her that evening with Detective Drury and Detective Bond…she was not covered up but she just naturally sunk into this English Ivy and was hard to see," said Phillips.

The retired detective looks for patterns and evidence and when he finds something, he passes it on to the two active duty Cold Case detectives.

"I’ve continued to read all the open homicides that I can find. And I have branched out into rape cases, and we have hundreds of open rape cases," said Phillips.

Phillips is also working on several open homicides of elderly women, one in the Bethesda area and one in the Silver Spring, 24 years ago.

There are also the Lyon sisters from 1975. One was ten and the other was just 12-years old when they went missing while walking home from Wheaton Plaza.

Despite the years that have gone by, Phillips says he isn't quitting."I still enjoy it. I still have the desire, the energy…I have no thoughts at this point about not doing it."

Source
NBC News TV channel 4 Washington DC
Retired Detective Breathes Life Into Cold Cases | NBC Washington

LINK:

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...e-Breathes-Life-Into-Cold-Cases-83597657.html

Here is the link to a forensic astrology site that includes Sheila and Katherine's disappearance. Even if you don't believe in this sort of thing it is still interesting.​

An interesting approach to a frustrating case.

I am not an astrologist myself, but at the very time the girls disappeared, I was in fact using the stars to navigate a Navy Aircraft in the Pacific Ocean.

As a long range celestial navigator, I consulted a star almanac and star sighting tables to compute my position every hour. I used a periscopic sextant to sight the sun, moon, stars and even planets. Using lines of position, I could plot a fix on my chart (map) and then knowing where I was, could alter course accordingly.

Does celestial navigation actually work? Yes, quite well. I always made it back to base. The strange thing about it all is that the origional premise that it is based on is that the Earth is the center of the universe and all the stars, planets and celestial bodies revolve around it in predictable ways.

Does astrology work? That is one question I cannot really answer to my own satisfaction. While it might work in some instances does it always work? Do two astrologers working separately come up with the same answers or predictions?

Back in 1975, a very famous psychic named Peter Hurkos became interested in the Lyon Sisters case. He made a tape and sent it to the Montgomery County Police. While his comments on that tape were never reveiled to the public, it can be deduced what his basic message was because the National Guard search referred to in the above website and mentioned here in the Lyon Sisters featured case was in direct response to the Hurkos tape. An area to the northwest of Wheaton Plaza several miles away was thoroughly searched. The guardsmen and other searchers were specifically instructed to watch for possible grave sites and disturbed ground.

Interesting post in the comment section:

To Bob Phillips: For the Lyon sisters: Please note James Mitchell DeBardeleben, aka "the mall passer" - a career criminal who has been tried and convicted for heinous crimes and serving some 150 years in federal prison for rape, kidnapping, extortion, counterfeiting and suspecting of being a serial killer.
Please note 3 Maryland State Police Uniforms stolen from a dry cleaners in Baltimore during February of 1975.
Please note the "missing trio" case in Fort Worth Texas - Dec 23, 1974. 3 girls went missing from a crowded mall - similar to Wheaton Plaza in many respects.
Please note that said stolen uniforms showed up in Sept of 1975 with a criminal (not DeBardeleben) with the name tag Rook ( a crow, a swindler or cheat).
Please note the rape in front of the Manassass IBM building that DeBardeleben was tried and convicted for - as the Lyon girls were reported to have been last seen in Manassass having been spied in a car by "an IBM executive".

I really do think the Montgomery County Police should take a second look at another suspect in the Lyon sister's disappearance. In 1975, a person named Bob Casey was known to several people as one who carried a tape recorder the Dc area around and interviewed people. He said he was writing a book on people's thoughts. My parents knew him pretty well. Bob Casey had been married to one of my mother's good friends named Betty. I believe they were officially divorced by 1975. He was a raging alcoholic who beat his wife and his kids. He had had a job with he Federal Government but my parents had told me he had been dismissed due to his excessive drinking.
According to his wife. Bob would "black out" after drinking so much he would do things he could barely recollect doing the next day. Often it reslutled in violence towards her or his kids. According to his wife Betty, one of the things he also used to do on this drinking binges was to go down into Dc from their house in Potomac and look to try to solicit young teenage and college girls for sex.

We lived in the area called White Oak until 1976. It is near New Hampshire Avenue and Columbia Pike. We lived only a block or so from the White Oak library on New Hampshire Avenue.
But it was in August of 1974, Bob Casey dropped our house in Silver Spring to see my parents. He ended staying on our couch for a few days. I remember my parents trying to talk to him and trying to help him get back on the right track. During that time in 1974, is when I saw him playing a tape recorder of people interviewed for my parents. I remember my parents being polite and listening to him play the tapes. But I also remember both my mom and dad were a bit miffed when he recorded all of them in a conservation (without telling them) and then playing it back for them and laughing. After a few days he left and I did not see him again until March 1975.

He rang the doorbell one night in mid March of 1975. It was right before me, my siblings and our four year old cousin who was visiting, were getting ready for bed. I remember he was carrying a six pack of beer. My dad started talking to him and asking how things were going. But my mom came down the steps abruptly and told him to get out of our house or she was calling the police. I remember her yelling something about what he put her friend Betty and their children through. And that she had been told by his then ex- wife Betty that Bob was wanted for forgery and passing bad checks. I remember Bob Casey saying to my dad he had to leave.
He then abruptly walked out the door. I just remember being real scared hearing my mom yelling about calling the police.
But to this day, I do not remember hearing or seeing a car drive away. For some strange reason, I have always thought he was standing in our front or back yard for a good amount of time after he walked out. Perhaps he was wanting to listen in on what my parents were saying after he left. I am speculating on all of this because I never did actually see him drive away. Perhaps he may have parked on another street since our street was a short street that connected too two other streets. I do not know.

My family never saw him in person again. But it was not until years later my parents told me that several times over the winter of 1975, he had been calling our house late at night babbling incoherent things. Furthermore they told me that Bob had wanted them to testify against Betty in their divorce case.
They thought he may have been riding by our house on several occasions. They also told me Bob had another friend who lived about a mile further down New Hampshire Avenue past White Oak Junior High that he used to drop by and see.
So due to this, they believe he was frequenting the White Oak area more than usual during that month of March 1975.

The Lyon girls disappeared on March 25th 1975. A dew days later a sketch of the person the girls were seen speaking with was released and was in the newspaper. My parents looked at it and immediately said it looked like Bob Casey. Bob was close to 50 years old at that time. At that time his hair was mostly turning gray. They also got phone calls his ex- wife Betty and other friends saying the same thing about Bob owning a tape recorder and the sketch drawing resembling him. My dad contacted the police as did some of the other people who knew him. According to what I heard back then was they checked him out and questioned him. But they let him walk because they could find no evidence linking him the girls. It should be noted that around this time Betty Casey had also told my parents that Bob was arrested by the Maryland police for trying to change license plates from one car to another.
Over the years that followed, Betty never gave up talking to the police. She moved to North Carolina. But from time to time she would call my parents and fill them in on things. She was almost 100% positive he had something to do with these girls' disappearance. She knew that Bob had friends who knew John Lyon the girls father. It is true that John Lyon was already well known as a radio personality around the area. But she said Bob had gone to social functions with friends where John Lyon had been present.

Regarding the girls' disappearance Betty Casey told police she thought Bob may have taken those girls up to a cabin in the Harpers Ferry, West Virginia area. Bob had a friend who was a Professor at George Washington University who had a cabin up there. It was there she believed that Bob had buried the girls or had thrown them in a well. She also mentioned that Bob's family had a cabin and some land in Connecticut and there was chance he may have taken them there as well.

Betty passed away in 2003. But I know she always used to tell my parents that the police had never taken her story seriously. She was still trying to convince police and the FBI well into the 1990's to take a second look at him. She used to think they thought she was just an ex wife mad at and trying to get even with her husband.
Around 1979, Betty contacted my parents and told him Bob had resurfaced. According to Bob's sister whom Betty had remained in contact with. Bob had reappeared and had altered his appearance by dying his hair jet black. She often wondered if he had been in jail on some other offense.

My parents told me Bob had contacted Betty by phone in 1985. They had been divorced for over 10 years. He told her he had quit drinking and changed his life around. He said he wanted to reconnect with his 3 children. He was then living in Winchester, Virginia and had remarried.
I would hear his name mentioned by parents over the years and though cleared by the police they believed and still do believe Bob Casey may have been somehow involved in the Lyon sisters disappearance.His name came up when I was visiting them over Christmas.
Recently, I looked up his name in saw a Robert Casey listed there. If he is still alive, which I do believe he may well be. He is around 84 years old.
I really think and strongly encourage the Montgomery County Police and the FBI try to contact and interview Bob Casey again. If he is involved in those girls' disappearance. Perhaps after all of this time. He will now re-examine his conscience, have some compassion, come clean and tell them happened.

It is pure speculation. But considering Bob Casey was in the White Oak area several times in 1975. I think the police should search the small wooded area that is behind White Oak Library on New Hampshire Avenue and runs maybe a half mile next to Columbia Pike. I see the person named Jeb here on websleuths even mentioned he even saw the "tape recorder man" in the Sears in White Oak around this time period.
Anyone reading please feel free to send this to the proper authorities. Maybe the more they see it. The more they may consider taking a second look at this guy. I am going to call the Montgomery County Police and also suggest to them to take another look at this.
In 1975, I was 11 years old when this happened. Though it has been 35 years I have never forgotten about it. It forever changed and dimmed my view of the world we live in. Now I just would like to see closure for Sheila and Kathryn Lyons' family
And for Bob Casey. If you are possibly reading this and are in fact involved in this. Then why don't you do the right thing and even bring yourself closure by turning yourself in.

Hi and welcome to Websleuths!

I am so glad you posted all of that info!

Nice post wfd. Now I'M curious. Do you have any pictures of Casey from 1975 or so? Also, do you happen to know the types of cars envolved when he was switching "tags"?

Nice post wfd. Now I'M curious. Do you have any pictures of Casey from 1975 or so? Also, do you happen to know the types of cars envolved when he was switching "tags"?

As far as I know my parents have no pictures of him at all. He had real short hair and was graying on the sides and top quite a bit. He did have a face that kind of revealed his Irish descent. I seem to remember his face was somewhat red in the few times I saw him in 74-75. I think that must have come from his excessive drinking. I also can not remember the car he was driving. But from my memory. I want to say he used to drive an early 70's Chevrolet. He always wore darker color (blue,gray,brown) suits. I always remember whenever I saw him he used to have his dress shirt and tie a bit loose so that it showed a white t-shirt underneath. But that was when he was sitting down and talking.
I did also find out that Casey grew up in DC and in the 1940's attended Gonzaga and also Coolidge High Schools. I also found out that he graduated from Duquense University in Pittsburgh Pa. I do also know his oldest son is an eye doctor in Raleigh NC. Though I do not think there was ever much communication between Casey and his kids after the 1970's. Before his divorce, he and his family had lived in Potomac in the the early 70's on a street I believe is called Goya Drive.
My dad did a follow up with the police in the 1970's. From what the police told my dad is that they thoroughly checked Casey out and could not hold him because they were unable to find any evidence to link him.
Though the tape recorder was a quite popular gadget during that period. I still think it odd that he used to carry one around in his briefcase.
I did call the Montgomery County Police in Feb and spoke to a detective. He said he would pass on the info to the detectives in charge. I also told him I was posting info here on websleuths. Maybe if Casey is still alive they will go and re-interview him and if he was in fact involved he will now tell them.

Last night on Ch. 9 News, they did an anniversary story about the Lyon Girls. Nothing was said we don't already know. However, they did indicate in a round about way, that the 2 girls were talking to a man with a cassette player at the plaza 25Mar75. I posted this because there has been much disscussion based on; were the girls talking to a TRM that day, & was a TRM at the plaza that day.

Last night on Ch. 9 News, they did an anniversary story about the Lyon Girls. Nothing was said we don't already know. However, they did indicate in a round about way, that the 2 girls were talking to a man with a cassette player at the plaza 25Mar75. I posted this because there has been much disscussion based on; were the girls talking to a TRM that day, & was a TRM at the plaza that day.

Thanks for the info on channel nine, JEB. Here is what they posted on their website. There are some interesting comments posted there. Note that the sketches referred to in this post can be seen at the link below.

This is my 3,000th post on Websleuths. Rather appropriate, since the Lyon case is one of the first I ever posted on. I believe that there are answers out there.

On Wednesday, 23 March 2010, WUSA TV channel 9 (CBS) featured a 35 year anniversary story about the disappearance of the Lyon sisters. Most of their story came from information found on the Doenetwork site and at the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. New in this story are updated sketches of how the girls might look today. Also included was a copy of the 1975 sketch of the tape recorder man.

------------------------------------------------------------------

KENSINGTON, Md. (WUSA)--Sheila Lyon and her younger sister, Katherine, lived in Kensington, Maryland with their 2 brothers and parents, Mary and John Lyon. John Lyon was a well known radio personality at WMAL. On March 25, 1975, just days before both girls' birthdays, Sheila (then 12-years-old) and Katherine (then 10-years-old) left their family home on Plyers Mill Road in Kensington between 11:00 a.m. and 12noon.

The girls were walking to the Wheaton Plaza Shopping Center in Montgomery County, which was approximately one-half mile from their house and located on the corner of University Boulevard and Veirs Mills Road. Sheila and Katherine were on spring vacation from school and wanted to see the Easter exhibits at the mall, as well as have lunch at The Orange Bowl Restaurant, which was on the mall premises.

A neighborhood child saw the girls outside the restaurant at approximately 1:00 p.m. He told investigators that the sisters were speaking to an unidentified middle-aged man wearing a brown suit. The man was carrying a briefcase with a tape cassette recorder inside; there were also other children around who were speaking into a microphone he was holding. The witness' description of the man led authorities to view the unknown person as a prime suspect in the Lyons' sisters' case and a sketch of the individual was created.

Composite Sketch of Man Seen With Tape Cassette Recorder
(Source: Montgomery County Police, 1975)

The girls' older brother saw Sheila and Katherine inside The Orange Bowl Restaurant eating pizza together at approximately 2:00 p.m. A friend stated that the girls were later seen walking westward down Drumm Avenue near Devon Street between 2:30--3:00 p.m. This would have been one of the most direct routes to their house on Plyers Mill Road from the mall and was the final confirmed sighting of the sisters. Their mother had instructed Sheila and Katherine to return home by 4:00 p.m. When they did not arrive by 7:00 p.m., authorities were summoned and an extensive search was conducted.

Several extortion-type phone calls were made to the Lyons family in the weeks following the girls' disappearances. The most serious call came from an unidentified male on April 4, 1975. The individual demanded that their father leave a briefcase with $10,000 inside an Annapolis, Maryland courthouse restroom. The money was left as per the instructions but was never claimed. The caller later maintained that police had surrounded the courthouse and he could not retrieve the ransom. Before the money would be offered to the man again, he was required to show evidence of the Lyon sisters in his custody. The caller said he would be in touch with the family, but never called back.

A witness in Manassas, Virginia reported seeing two girls resembling Sheila and Katherine in the rear of a 1968 beige Ford station wagon on April 7, 1975. The witness stated that the girls were observed bound and gagged in the vehicle at approximately 7:30 a.m. that day. The witness said the driver of the station wagon resembled the man seen questioning children at The Orange Bowl Restaurant the day the sisters vanished.The witness says when the driver spotted the witness tailing him, he ran a red light and sped west on Route 234 towards Interstate 66 in Virginia. The station wagon had Maryland license plates with the possible combination "DMT-6**." The last two numbers are unknown due to the bending of the car's plate. The known combination was issued in Cumberland, Hagerstown and Baltimore, Maryland at the time. A search for the plate numbers came up empty. This witness's report was at first treated as credible, but was later deemed "questionable."

Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. was viewed with interest in the sisters' cases beginning in March 1987. Coffey is serving a life sentence in a North Carolina prison for murder and child molestation convictions. Authorities learned that he began working at a scientific firm based in Silver Spring, Maryland one month after the Lyon sisters vanished. Investigators have been unable to determine if Coffey is connected to the cases and he has never been charged in their disappearances.

Investigators considered Raymond Rudolph Mileski, Sr. another potential person of interest in the girls' disappearances. Mileski resided in the 5810 block of Suitland Road in Suitland, Maryland in 1975. He murdered his wife and teenage son inside their home after a disagreement in November 1977. Mileski's younger son was wounded in the incident. He was convicted of the homicides in 1978 and sentenced to 40 years in prison. Authorities searched the yard of his former residence in April 1982 for material connected to the Lyons' cases, but no evidence was discovered, an no charges were ever filed. The girls' disappearances remain unsolved.

Today Sheila would be 47-years-old. Katherine would be 45-years-old. Using both art and science, The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in Alexandria, Virginia have created age enhanced progression images of the Lyon sisters.

Left: Sheila Lyon, circa 1975; Right: Age-progression image at age 47, circa October 30, 2009 (Source: National Center for Missing and Exploited Children).

Vital Statistics at the Time of Disappearance:

Missing Since: March 25, 1975 from Wheaton, Maryland
Date of Birth: March 30, 1962
Height and Weight: 5'2"; 100 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Blonde hair, blue eyes. Sheila wears eyeglasses

Left: Katherine Lyon, circa 1975; Right: Age-progression inage at age 45, circa November 4, 2009

(Source: National Center for Missing and Exploited Children).

Vital Statistics at the Time of Disappearance:

Missing Since: March 25, 1975 from Wheaton, Maryland
Date of Birth: March 29, 1964
Height and Weight: 4'8"; 85 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Blonde hair; blue eyes. Katherine has a birthmark inside her upper thigh. Her nickname is "Kate."

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Montgomery County Police Department 301-279-8000 or 240-773-5070.

The National Center for Missing and Exloited Children 1-800-THE-LOST

Source

WUSA9.com | Washington, DC | Lyon Sisters: Missing 35 years

link:

http://www.wusa9.com/rss/local_article.aspx?storyid=98861

Today is the 35th anniversary since their disappearance.

Thinking of the Lyon sisters on this sad anniversary. I find myself remembering the spring of 1975. I was only 8, but I have clear memories, and remember the world then. It is hard to picture them in their 40's now like me. They are forever about to turn 11 and 13....

The Sentinel
Missing Lyon Girls case now 35 years old
Published on: Thursday, March 18, 2010

By Annie Farber

Two young girls walked to Wheaton Plaza Shopping Center for lunch were never seen or heard from again.

Katherine and Sheila Lyon, sisters who lived on Plyers Mill Road in Kensington, were on their school’s spring break when it happened. Katherine, then 10 years old, and Sheila, then 12, decided to get pizza for lunch and visit an Easter exhibit in the mall. That was March 25, 1975, nearly 35 years ago.

Several later claimed they had seen the girls speaking with an older man who had a tape recorder in a briefcase. Sketches of the man were compiled and he was established as the prime suspect. Many others stepped forward saying they had witnessed a man with a tape recorder at various shopping centers in the area. However, a link was never made between the reports and the girls’ disappearance by the police.

The county police department was not willing to comment on the 35-year-old case, saying the family has had enough media exposure. The police could confirm that they continue to work with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Residents are still encouraged to come forward with any information.

Robert Lowery, the executive director of NCMEC’s missing children division, said the case received so much attention and continues to today because of the shock of it happening in a place where people felt secure. “It makes the community feel vulnerable,” Lowery said. “The girls went to have lunch and their mother had every reason to believe her children were safe.”

And they never returned. Lowery said what is most frustrating about this case is that NCMEC, the police, and residents just don’t know what happened. Despite it being one of the largest police searches in the area, and that occasional leads come in to this day, there are still no answers.

Lowery remains optimistic. “We never forget a case. We never close a case until we know what happened,” he said.

The NCMEC case managers are still in contact with the Lyon family. “We just want to let them know someone still cares,” Lowery said. “We’re convinced someone out there knows something.”

Anyone with information is asked to call 1-800-THE-LOST or the Montgomery County Police Department at 301-279-8000.

Source:

The Sentinel

LINK:

http://pgs.live.mediaspanonline.com/mont/lyongirls

Here is an interesting website which discusses Wheaton Plaza Shopping Center and its history. There are a number of recent photos and many postings by people who remember the mall and the Lyon Sisters. There is even a link to Websleuths.

----------------------------

Westfield Wheaton (Wheaton Plaza); Wheaton, Maryland
August 09, 2006 | Maryland | Posted by Caldor

Westfield is one of my least favorite of the major mall developers because of their tendency to make every mall look the same. However, a recent renovation at the Wheaton Plaza (or “Westfield Shoppingtown Wheaton,” whatever) in Wheaton, Maryland merits a quick ‘n dirty post.

As this is the first Westfield mall that we’ve written about, it merits a rant: Seriously, what gives with Westfield’s annoying naming scheme? Don’t they realize that labeling every one of their malls as “Westfield Shoppingtown _____” is a disastrous attempt at over-branding...

Source:

Westfield Wheaton (Wheaton Plaza); Wheaton, Maryland | Labelscar: The Retail History and Dead Malls Blog

LINK:

http://www.labelscar.com/maryland/westfield-wheaton-plaza

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288