GUILTY CA - Gavin Smith, 57, Oak Park, 1 May 2012

My goodness, where is my mind. I should have known there wasn't a mugshot. :banghead: I remember when Martha Stewart was incarcerated, a big deal was made out of why there wasn't a booking shot of her and the reason was given that she was a fed prisoner.

Hey, at least you knew about it! First I'd heard. :blushing:

This article says 20 search warrants have been served in this case, does it say for what? Were they all tied to the home they searched? I haven't seen it so far anywhere unless I missed it. Thanks!

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-missing-fox-executive,0,7642854.story?page=1
Deputies say they have served more than 20 search warrants in the case, including the home of a woman in West Hills Smith may have had an affair with.
Deputies served a warrant around 10:30 a.m. on June 8 at a home in the 8600 block of Santa Susana Place.
A neighbor told the L.A. Times that a woman and her two children emerged from the house as it was being searched.
She said a family -- including a husband, wife and two girls -- lives in the home.

Ima, glad to have you here for Gavin! No, you didn't miss it. We're only aware of the two Creech related searches; one for their cellphones mid-May, disclosed by Teola, their attorney, and the June 8 Creech home search with SWAT, at least one dog, and crime scene techs for eight hours that the media covered (with Audi, computer equipment, files etc taken by LE).

We've speculated regarding what some may be for, ie Gavin's phone records, belongings at friend's house, financial records (of Gavin and/or Creeches), Smith family home, wife's cell & records, friend's cell, both confiscated Creech cells,etc, since search warrants can be for locations or for data, as some of these seem pretty standard, but nothing beyond the Creech warrant(s)/searches (identified as a sealed felony search warrant in MSM) has been disclosed.

"We are very concerned about Gavin," Fox distribution President Chris Aronson told The Hollywood Reporter. "We are actively doing what we can to assist the L.A. sheriff's department."
prev link

Came across this in older links. Thinking LE may also have searched his office to look for clues, a note, his electronic records, etc to help determine what might've happened or if it was voluntary..?

Another random thought, given the links we've found regarding Creech's drug charges in 2010. He was convicted of transport, and a previously linked article referred to them searching his business. If LE had reason to believe Creech still had access to locations that they'd identified during the drug investigation, those locations may also have been searched IRT Gavin's disappearance.

Maybe we'll know more 7/26??

His luxury car is also missing. A review of cell phone and bank records provided no clues.
prev linked article

also from above:

"It's been absolutely devastating," his eldest son, Evan Smith, 21, a USC basketball player, tells PEOPLE. "Our dad is our hero, he's everything to us."

"We've been looking in canyons, ravines, down little creeks, everywhere," says Evan. "We're just praying that he's going to turn up somewhere. We won't stop until we find him. We won't give up on him."
:(

This article says 20 search warrants have been served in this case, does it say for what? Were they all tied to the home they searched? I haven't seen it so far anywhere unless I missed it. Thanks!

Respectfully snipped...

Ima, your question is certainly valid. According to articles at the time and as posted before on this thread, many search wts were served and certainly not all of them at the Santa Susana residence that was so all over the 'news'...:

Deputies say they have served more than 20 search warrants in the case, including the home of a woman in West Hills Smith may have had an affair with.

Notice the above mentions the woman who is the homeowner, not the male who was reportedly staying there.

I do not believe there have been any published statements from LE saying where or for whom the other warrants were served. In fact, LE has been mostly silent on this case, and IMO has not ever named a POI.

btw, "Authorities said..." in MSM articles is not a declaration from official sources. It has NO attribution.

~jmo~

P.S. As I've been told repeatedly on this thread and I do realize, it's OK to sleuth Creech but not Chandrika on WS. I respect those administrative decisions and abide by them, even though I don't personally agree with their bases. I may have searched the net for both individuals, but I've not put any of my findings here for public consumption. I am good with that, fwiw.

~jmo~

I know California is a what is called a "free record state" ... which means that birth, marriage and death records are available to the public (I don't know for sure about criminal records). The word "free" here means that access to records is NOT restricted ... it is shared with those members of the public who are willing to pay a necessary fee to obtain the documented information. Some old info is available online ,,, however out of respect for a person's right to privacy (and to avoid fraud like identity theft) records of the living are typically not available to the public online.

Here is an example ... high school yearbooks were recently mentioned, so I searched for those and I found a source where they were available right up until 1965. Yearbooks after that are not online ... probably to protect living people's privacy ... so in this case anyone under 60 years of age. Since Creech was born in the seventies, his school yearbooks are not currently available to the public. We probably have to wait another 25 years for that to happen.

I am all for protection of private info online...too much of it gets out without permission.

That said, I can pull-up yearbook pages way more recent than 1965 on a site I paid for when doing genealogical research.

Worse yet, I found photos of me in 6th grade (LONG time ago) that someone chose to upload and caption with my name.

~FYI/jmo~

I am all for protection of private info online...too much of it gets out without permission.

That said, I can pull-up yearbook pages way more recent than 1965 on a site I paid for when doing genealogical research.

Worse yet, I found photos of me in 6th grade (LONG time ago) that someone chose to upload and caption with my name.

~FYI/jmo~

Thanks for the info, Shana!

Lol re your old yearbook pic! It should probably be a crime as cruel & unusual punishment for some of our old yearbook pix to be posted online! ;) j/k

<snipped>

Notice the above mentions the woman who is the homeowner, not the male who was reportedly staying there.

I do not believe there have been any published statements from LE saying where or for whom the other warrants were served. In fact, LE has been mostly silent on this case, and IMO has not ever named a POI.

btw, "Authorities said..." in MSM articles is not a declaration from official sources. It has NO attribution.

~jmo~
SBM

Chandrika has been the only one noted in articles as the homeowner, and some pieces have said according to property records. That said, the only property record I've seen from the net regarding the Creech home lists two owners, one being Chandrika, but it's not a county records website, so I question its accuracy.

Thus far, I haven't found the county property records available to search online. (The county may have a property search somewhere online, I just haven't found it yet. :waitasec: If someone else finds that site, please post!)

It'd be great to find the Creech related property records. (Disclaimer: Wild speculation to follow) If, for example, property records showed John had inherited a home or owned a location in Sylmar, that'd be a big deal, in light of the Sylmar canvass and possible ping data, IMO. Or other owned properties might provide ideas for search areas.

That said, multiple sources do indicate this home to still be the residence of both John & Chandrika Creech.

An attribution typically relates to authorship, in regards to literary uses?...if we're using that term to mean the author is attempting to denote where the info came from, saying "Authorities said..." is identifying the source of the info. It is not a quote, which is stronger, but it is a paraphrase that still identifies the source. It would be great to see the actual quote associated with that paraphrase, or better yet, a video of exactly what LE said.

Moo

I have lived in a few different states and counties now and in each one I have been able to get property records, current owners, assessors pages, etc for free. In southern california, they were on the net but I had to pay some nominal fee for each record. I think that was $2.50 or something? Anyways, because of all the fees it is a little bit hard to "dig in". I have been told by family that lives down there that for other things you have to go in and wait in line. FWIW IIRC.

20 search warrants seem appropriate. Just for the sake of figuring it out:
MOO*** for speculation only****
1. GS office
2. GS work cell phone records
3. GS office computer
4. friends house
5. friend's cell phone
6. friend's land line
7. GS wife's cell
8. Smith family computer
9. Smith family cell phone bills
10. JC home
11. JC cell phone
12. JC computer
13. JC landline
14. Any other phone in his name
15. JC car
16. JC's business
17. JC business phone
18. JC business computer
19. Smith family car
20. Smith family house?

NOTE: I have included smith family stuff NOT because I think they are responsible, but simply because I think LE would want to be very thorough and cover ALL their bases. I think it must be routine to check out the family on the off chance they are involved or if Gavin used their stuff without their knowledge.
NOTE 2: I no very little about legalities, this is just a guess.

JMO JMO JMO

I don't remember if I was looking up properties for a friend in Ventura Co. or LA, but I believe it was under the assessor's office?? IDK, I found it eventually but that was 5 years ago. And you had to pay to view the records online.

I have lived in a few different states and counties now and in each one I have been able to get property records, current owners, assessors pages, etc for free. In southern california, they were on the net but I had to pay some nominal fee for each record. I think that was $2.50 or something? Anyways, because of all the fees it is a little bit hard to "dig in". I have been told by family that lives down there that for other things you have to go in and wait in line. FWIW IIRC.

20 search warrants seem appropriate. Just for the sake of figuring it out:
MOO*** for speculation only****
1. GS office
2. GS work cell phone records
3. GS office computer
4. friends house
5. friend's cell phone
6. friend's land line
7. GS wife's cell
8. Smith family computer
9. Smith family cell phone bills
10. JC home
11. JC cell phone
12. JC computer
13. JC landline
14. Any other phone in his name
15. JC car
16. JC's business
17. JC business phone
18. JC business computer
19. Smith family car
20. Smith family house?

NOTE: I have included smith family stuff NOT because I think they are responsible, but simply because I think LE would want to be very thorough and cover ALL their bases. I think it must be routine to check out the family on the off chance they are involved or if Gavin used their stuff without their knowledge.
NOTE 2: I no very little about legalities, this is just a guess.

JMO JMO JMO

Great list, Deca, thanks for pulling it together! Yes, in light of the many cases here, I agree that these are all likely possibilities and probably routine info gathered.

Thanks for the CA records data, too.

Moo

Regarding online records:

I do wish all mugshots of those convicted of crimes were published/available online for public safety, and to reduce the opportunities for reoffense. Even if it is a nonviolent crime, such as fraud or theft, there's usually a victim involved, and having mugshots available might prevent others from falling victim. Moo

It doesn't seem that everything that's available necessarily should be, though. We bought a new home awhile back and a nice but nosy neighbor commented on having pulled up property records and noticing how much our home was worth. Not sure why the public would need that info! (or our jr high pics! ;))

Also, unless they're primary source info, ie county or LE records, etc, the info available online/on people searches is helpful as a tool, but often not 100% accurate (just as we've found with some articles in this & other cases). For example, I've seen people searches list my age as one year younger than I am (thanks for the help!), with a last name I've never had or used, and currently living in a city I've never lived in. One of my fam members is listed as living in a state she hasn't been in for over four years and they entirely miss a state she lived in as an adult for years. The search engines are 2 states/2moves/8 years behind where another fam member currently lives. So, while they help, they're not gospel, and it's best to find the original data if possible, IMO.

While on the topic of online records, last night I was looking for some info re: John, ie date of marriage and/or wedding announcement for his marriage to Chandrika, as well as other pics or a mugshot. I stumbled across this:

John Lenzie Creech
40 years old
Sponsored:Address History Social Profile Free Report Contact Details
Robertson Continuation High School (1991) Tallmadge High School (1987-1991)
Santa Susana Pl, Canoga Park, CA, US Beverly Hills, CA, US Los Angeles, CA, US Hayward, CA, US Bonnie Way, Fremont, CA, US Mowry Ave, Fremont, CA, US Tallmadge, OH, US Kent, OH, US Elkhart, IN, US Cuyahoga Falls, OH, US Mishawaka, IN, US Syracuse, IN, US Connersville, IN, US Indianapolis, IN, US Jacksonville, FL, US
Chandrika Creech <snipped> Chandrik Creech 9 more »
free, open link

I knew the data I'd found re: Robertson was related to a John L. Creech, same age, same grad year of 1991, but it didn't seem so crucial to our research to worry abt tracing how the data led there this much later. (I know originally, it was a site other than the one above.)

Anyway, as said before, people search engines are not 100% accurate. They're primarily aggregators. Could be our John was born in OH, attended HS there (data I previously asked another poster about I found in above info), and the fam moved to CA his senior year, or something happened for him to be sent to CA to finish school. Robertson being an alternative HS makes either going there due to sr year move/to not lose credits, or due to other issues, a possibility, IMO, given I've worked with youth in education and adjudication situations. Then, he went to IN or elsewhere for college, job, a girl, or fam?? Or, could be one or the other search engines has wrong data associated with John Lenzie Creech. The hard part is determining which is accurate, without finding the original records source.

(The HS data was just to serve as a jumping off point in early sleuthing, ie prior to finding the Federal Bureau of Prisons Info, Superior Court charges & conviction, & Appellate Court case. Since the post questioning it has survived mod review, thought I'd post the related data above to show the reasoning in obtaining it, and since the Robertson data did survive mod review in the Media Thread.)

Sometimes, where a victim and/or POI do or do not have ties can be significant. For example, in missing FL mom, Michelle Parker's case, her vehicle was found abandoned in an area others said she had no ties to, and no reason to be in, but her estranged husband did have ties to, IIRC. Much like the statements that Gavin had no ties to Sylmar but there may be Sylmar related case data. Potentially provides more clues as to what may have happened, or more places to search.

So, lots of implications of online data and its accuracy & availability! I was actually trying to get into my Superior Court acct to see if there are Creech related updates or add'l info, and can't recall my sign-on. Didn't think I'd be going back in, as it's a pay site. (I'll figure it out & let you guys know if I find anything.) Costs, logins, and releasing your own personal info to gain access can be a whole 'nother can of worms when it comes to online data!

Moo

As an aside re: public records access, years ago as part of my job, I'd take the list of license plates with parking offenses in our HS parking lot down to the county bldg. They had a computer set up so people could input a plate # and get the owner's name & address. At the time, we thought it was great for sending fine letters and holding students & others accountable. Now, the idea that anyone could've spotted someone in their car & gone in to get their home address is pretty scary, IMO.

It helps our sleuthing that some states have more online/available records than others, but it's a fine balance to try to maintain, IMO.

I'm not crazy about every record that is public. I don't like anyone being able to go online and finding out my home address from the tax and appraisal records. Unfortunately some of us have relatives we wish to leave in the past and never find us again.

I'm not crazy about every record that is public. I don't like anyone being able to go online and finding out my home address from the tax and appraisal records. Unfortunately some of us have relatives we wish to leave in the past and never find us again.

Same boat here. Estranged with due cause and desire for safety. That may be what drives some of us here to champion for others.

Yep, that is why I am not on Facebook.

Ditto.

If you haven't been in the Jury Room yet, lots of overcoming stories and support in there. :hug:

Praying for Gavin & his family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back