Brad Cooper Pleads Guilty to 2nd Degree Murder of Nancy Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw the article. Thanks!

So, not an Alford Plea. If this article is correct, he will have to stand up in court and admit his guilt to the murder of his wife in exchange for a 2nd degree conviction.

That's very big news, if this is what happens.

Agreed, this is big news. And obviously changes things quite a bit.

I cannot believe he would do this if he were not guilty.

If he takes a plea, I hope he is forced to allocute.

Agreed, this is big news. And obviously changes things quite a bit.

I cannot believe he would do this if he were not guilty.

If he takes a plea, I hope he is forced to allocute.

Yes, it is big news and I hope he accepts. Do another 7 and walk.....

Trying to think of any case locally in which allocution was required other than just pleading "guilty" to the charges. Anyone know? I've only followed a few cases locally and just in the past 5 years.

I know I would not say I was guilty to a murder I didn't commit. That conviction stays with you forever once you accept it and declare yourself guilty.

The way the article is written this is not an Alford plea. This is the real (I did it, I am guilty) deal.

If he takes the deal, it also implies that Brad doesn't think his chance for an acquittal in a 2nd trial would be very good. I guess Brad knows more than we do about the evidence.

If the DT had solid evidence that Brad's computer was hacked, I do not see any conceivable way that BC would take the plea. So since BC was granted a new trial I think it is reasonable to think DT does not have that evidence.

Well, to be fair, the defense never has to 'prove' innocence of any defendant. The burden to prove guilt B.A.R.D. rests 100% with the state, all the time, every time.

Yes, it is big news and I hope he accepts. Do another 7 and walk.....

I don't agree at all. If he is innocent, he shouldn't accept and he should fight based on the evidence. If he is guilty, he should do a lot more than 13 years.

If he takes the deal, it also implies that Brad doesn't think his chance for an acquittal in a 2nd trial would be very good. I guess Brad knows more than we do about the evidence.

I would rephrase this to say that it implies Brad's lawyers don't think his chance for an acquittal in a 2nd trial would be very good.

I am wondering how much the Frye evidence fits into this. If the Frye evidence stands up under scrutiny, then it is enough (with the Google evidence) to convince even skeptics like me.

I don't agree at all. If he is innocent, he shouldn't accept and he should fight based on the evidence. If he is guilty, he should do a lot more than 13 years.

Can't imagine being willing to stay in state prison one day longer if innocent. It's not like he'd be out in 2 years and time would fly. State prison is hard time.

I would rephrase this to say that it implies Brad's lawyers don't think his chance for an acquittal in a 2nd trial would be very good.

I am wondering how much the Frye evidence fits into this. If the Frye evidence stands up under scrutiny, then it is enough (with the Google evidence) to convince even skeptics like me.

They may not think his chances are very good, but ultimately the decision is Brad's to make. No one can force him to plead guilty. In fact he might be asked at the hearing if he's making this decision of his own free will. I don't know if they do that here in NC but it does get asked elsewhere.

Brad knows Frye has that evidence and if the case were to go to a second trial, Frye would be called to testify to it. If I were in Brad's shoes, and I knew I had done the crime and that more evidence would come in, I would take the deal because I'd figure it was my best and possibly only shot at getting out some day. If I were innocent of the crime I could not bring myself to say I was guilty if I wasn't.

I don't think accepting a deal means BC is guilty or that he thinks this is his best chance to beat a Murder 1.
A deal is nothing more than a settlement or compromise, and it is my opinion , that this case, just like Young's, has enough reasonable doubt .
But, this is a new day for BC, a deal, a chance to have some part of his life back again....... If Nancy's parents have no problem with this, then why should anyone else?
Take the deal, Brad........

Will Brad Cooper take a plea deal, rather than face another trial?

Please continue here.

Salem

This is quite a quote from Nancy's father Garry in the article: "We're pleased to have closure for the girls and for our family," Rentz said, referring to the Coopers' two young daughters, who have been in the Rentzes' custody since 2008."

The value of closure for the children is more important to them than seeing Brad serve (what I think) would be a more appropriate period of time in prison (because I believe its first degree or nothing based on the state's case). It shows the Rentzes have a very civil life-view, one including a sense of forgiveness and not focused on punishment. They have behaved in a very exemplary way throughout this process in how they handled everything... the initial moves for custody, being firm in their convictions but never lashing out, pulling together as a family, and making it more about the children than their own loss.

Thank you, Salem............
......The next court date for Brad is Sept.22, should be interesting to see what he and his attorneys decide.

In Canada, when there is a guilty plea it is often accompanied with an Agreed Statement of Facts, which sets out the detail about what the person is admitting to. I think this is done so that, in case any issues arise in the future, there can be no doubt to what the person is admitting to doing versus what the prosecution claims they have done.

Is the process similar in NC? Or does he just plea to 2nd degree without admitting any particular fact?

I bet he won't stay around here, i would s+++ my pants if i saw him browsing the grocery store.

I hate this outcome. This isn't a 2nd degree murder. If the google evidence wasn't planted, then this was premeditated 1st degree murder. If it was, then it is not guilty. I get why both parties would agree to this, but it isn't justice for either side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth