Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to copy from the GJ report without success, but under Victim 1, go to Steve Turchetta's statement about 'several students who were left alone with Sandusky, including victim 1', and about the arguments he had to mediate between JS and 'various youths' when JS wanted more time with them....

http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/sandusky-grand-jury-presentment.pdf

Thanks to FloatingStar, here is the section about Turchetta and other students:

"Steven Turchetta testified that he was an assistant principal and the head football coach at the high school attended by Victim l. He testified that Sandusky was a volunteer assistant football coach. Sandusky also worked with children in the Second Mile program in that school district. Turchetta described the Second Mile as a very large charitable organization that helped children who are from economically underprivileged backgrounds and who may be living in single parent households. Turchetta first met Sandusky in 2002 when Sandusky attempted to assist some Second Mile members who were on Turchetta’s football team. Sandusky's involvement grew from there. in the 2008 season, Sandusky was a full-time volunteer coach. Turchetta said it was not unusual for him, as assistant principal, to call a Second Mile student out of activity period at the end of the day, at Sandusky’s request, to see Sandusky. He knew of several students who were left alone with Sandusky, including Victim l. Turchetta characterized Sandusky as very controlling within the mentoring relationships he established with Second Mile students. Sandusky would often want a greater time commitment than the teenagers were willing to give and Sandusky would have "shouting matches" with various youths, in which Turchetta would sometimes be the mediator. Turchetta would also end up being Sandusky’s point of contact for a youth whom be had been unable to reach by phone the previous evening. Turchetta testified that Sandusky would be ‘*clingy" and even "needy" when a young man broke off the relationship he had established with him and called the behavior "suspicious."

But what did Turchetta do about his suspicians? Did he talk to other coaches? The principal? The other people at Second Mile?

Maybe he originally saw Sandusky's shouting matches as some type of tough love to get through to the boys? My own son played football for years and some of his coaches were intimidating that way during practice, but the kids learn to take it in stride (or they quit the team because they hate it).

However, I've never heard of a coach, volunteer or not, who singled out boys for one-on-ones this way, or called them after school. And I just hope people understand that it is not normally the way things are done in high school football, or any sport. This coach Turchetta surely realized that, but once again we come back to the fact that Second Mile was the perfect situation for Sandusky because it was all done in the name of charity and "helping troubled teens." And that's why people looked the other way, imo. :twocents:

As far as I know Penn state never pulled anything else of Sanduskys they were selling. As someone pointed out his book Touched was flying off the shelves. I think the reason they pulled that ice cream was because of the flavors and what they meant when it came to anal sex. http://media.pennlive.com/midstate_impact/photo/sandusky-blitz-60cc41acc4353009.jpg Just a little harmless insider joke until he was busted.
Have you eaten at this ice cream store? I have. I ate there 10 days ago. I have eaten ice cream there for 8 years and this phallic symbol ice cream concoction never exist. Rush may be on drugs again.

The books that was selling out were Joe Paterno's books not Sandusky's. I posted that story and link because you asked how Joe Pa could have donated that all those millions to the Penn State Library and local hospital. I shared with you that he was also an author. This is in the beginning of this thread somewhere.

I hate to burst your bubble, but that is complete bs. That is not even a Creamery bowl and that has never been an ice cream sundae at the Creamer. Yes, you can get an ice cream in a cone (they only come in one size scoop and that scoop is HUGE). You can get double scoops, but the amount is extremely large. Many people ask for a cup to turn their cone over into it. That is what I have done dozens of times because the amount of ice cream is huge and it starts to melt everywhere if you don't put it in a cup.....and the cups are always white (not blue).

Rush is peeved because Joe Pa donated to Obama. He has been ranting about this for 3 years.

I'm not overly concerned about any explanation regarding how ice cream is eaten at Penn State, nor am I concerned with an explanation of political persuasion regarding the current President, particularly ones that don't provide a link for supportive input.

As for this post's declaration of "complete bs":

Penn State Creamery pulls Jerry Sandusky ice cream off shelves, menus

Prior to the flavor's removal from the creamery website, The Big Lead got a screen grab of the ingredients. Sandusky Blitz was described as a "banana-flavored ice cream with chocolate-covered peanuts and caramel swirl."

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/penn_state_creamery_pulls_jerr.html

They surely didn't waste any time yanking this "bs", complete or otherwise, off the menu.

I don't mean to speak for Pensfan, but I do understand where he is coming from in some of his posts. Being a PSU grad, it is very hard to see so many people connected to my school being accused of being evil just based on their proximity to an evil man.

Pensfan has provided several links demonstrating that Penn State has a long history of service to the community and charity involvement. This is not meant to excuse Sandusky's acts, or Paterno's, McQueary's, Spanier's, Schultz's or Raykovitz's inaction. But I don't agree that the entire history of good acts by hundreds of thousands of people is now invalid because we are disgusted with a small group that allowed this to continue. What the victims went through is unconscionable, but I agree with Pensfan that not everybody Sandusky dealt with had to know. Our own Azwriter discussed how Washington, PA is questioning how this could be the same person they thought they knew. I would suggest that many people in the State College area are having those same thoughts.

We all have opinions about what could have been done differently, but we just don't know the truth yet. I don't know any of the players personally, but if I were someone like Sue Paterno, I would hope to be given the respectful benefit of the doubt, not maligned as an entitled woman who protected a predator just based on our hunches.

Just my opinion - everyone here is a wonderful advocate for victims of crime and abuse, and I thank you all for your energy. I just recognize why some of us feel the need to stand up for the Penn State that we know, without being accused of trolling or supporting the <self-snip> responsible. Thanks for listening.:twocents:

Well, I haven't been on the forum all the time but have read most of the posts and haven't seen anyone condemning the entire school and everybody who has gone there as 'evil' because of this case. That would be ridiculous and wrong.

The only one who has been charged with the abuse of children is Sandusky and he has been the subject of most of the posts, along with the people cited in the GJ report as either reporting or not reporting him.

The fact that he started Second Mile and the GJ report states that is where he found his victims has caused that organization to be looked at by myself and others to see how that could happen.

As far as I am concerned, there is no associated guilt here for people who just happened to go to the school, and we are just trying to find the truth about what happened and who is responsible, and advocate for the children.

Have you eaten at this ice cream store? I have. I ate there 10 days ago. I have eaten ice cream there for 8 years and this phallic symbol ice cream concoction never exist. Rush may be on drugs again.

The books that was selling out were Joe Paterno's books not Sandusky's. I posted that story and link because you asked how Joe Pa could have donated that all those millions to the Penn State Library and local hospital. I shared with you that he was also an author. This is in the beginning of this thread somewhere.
No, this is the story I was talking about. It was posted a few times so far. There is a one where they had to restock it I believe. http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/jerry_sanduskys_autobiography.html Nope. It's not an oversight. A university bookstore spokesman said he was aware the book, which explores Sandusky's work with the children's charity he founded, The Second MIle, and his football career, was on display. It's located in the middle of the store, located on Pollack Road, not far from Old Main.

The Sandusky book can be found in a row entitled "Local Interest Section", between "Living Without Electricity", by Stephen Scott and Kenneth Pellman, and "The New Face of Small-Town America: Snapshots of Latino Life in Allentown, Pa..'', by Edgar Sandoval.

"I don't really have a comment on that,''' said a book store spokesman. "We haven't changed any operating procedure.''

The same grad who was hopeful that the book availability was an "oversight", then frowned at the news it wasn't.

"That is shameful, to try and promote that [book], in my opinion,'' said the alum, who made trip from Washington, D.C. for Saturday's Penn State-Nebraska game at Beaver Stadium at noon.

"That fact that it's in Penn State's bookstore is really hard to believe,'' said another alum, originally from Lewistown, Pa. She also declined to be identified.

I'm not overly concerned about any explanation regarding how ice cream is eaten at Penn State, nor am I concerned with an explanation of political persuasion regarding the current President, particularly ones that don't provide a link for supportive input.

As for this post's declaration of "complete bs":

They surely didn't waste any time yanking this "bs", complete or otherwise, off the menu.
You are the one posting Rush's bs, so be sure to listen more carefully to all his propaganda. That is what Rush stated. I unfortunately had to listen to Rush spew as I sat in my neighbor's car.

Call Great Leader Rush and tell him get back in detox. He is making mistakes. The lovely blue bowl in Rush's propaganda photo is not a white styrofoam cup as the Creamery uses.

I totally lack legal knowledge. But I think that this may be an issue for future law. If an adult showers and "horseplays" around with a child without knowledge of the child's parent(s), a precedent should be set that makes that illegal. No innocent man would do this while hiding it from the parent(s) (unless he was some kind of dysfunctional *advertiser censored*).

Of course horseplay can be innocent. But the Sandusky's allusion to horseplay is either grossly naive (assertion of an idiot) or psychopathic. It seems pretty clear to me that it is a case of psychopathology. Will be decided in a court of law. Hopefully it is a fair process.

As I see it:

Horseplay + Nudity = Lewd Behavior.

And I'm stickin' to it.

guys the ice cream flavor is/was real, I think it is the pictured presentation that is a very poor attempt at humor.
let's move on.

As far as I know Penn state never pulled anything else of Sanduskys they were selling. As someone pointed out his book Touched was flying off the shelves. I think the reason they pulled that ice cream was because of the flavors and what they meant when it came to anal sex. http://media.pennlive.com/midstate_impact/photo/sandusky-blitz-60cc41acc4353009.jpg Just a little harmless insider joke until he was busted.

No, this is the story I was talking about. It was posted a few times so far. There is a one where they had to restock it I believe. http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/jerry_sanduskys_autobiography.html Nope. It's not an oversight. A university bookstore spokesman said he was aware the book, which explores Sandusky's work with the children's charity he founded, The Second MIle, and his football career, was on display. It's located in the middle of the store, located on Pollack Road, not far from Old Main.

The Sandusky book can be found in a row entitled "Local Interest Section", between "Living Without Electricity", by Stephen Scott and Kenneth Pellman, and "The New Face of Small-Town America: Snapshots of Latino Life in Allentown, Pa..'', by Edgar Sandoval.

"I don't really have a comment on that,''' said a book store spokesman. "We haven't changed any operating procedure.''

The same grad who was hopeful that the book availability was an "oversight", then frowned at the news it wasn't.

"That is shameful, to try and promote that [book], in my opinion,'' said the alum, who made trip from Washington, D.C. for Saturday's Penn State-Nebraska game at Beaver Stadium at noon.

"That fact that it's in Penn State's bookstore is really hard to believe,'' said another alum, originally from Lewistown, Pa. She also declined to be identified.
That article didn't state that Sandusky's book was flying off the shelf because it is not. That article quoted alums stating that is was shameful to have that book for sale in the bookstore. I can't imagine anyone in PA buying that pedophile's book unless it is the DA's prosecution team looking for statements to use against him or other victims.

I would tend to agree with you if it wasn't for Paterno's books flying off the shelves after he kept quiet for 10 years about a child rape. I have no idea what will sell.

But what did Turchetta do about his suspicians? Did he talk to other coaches? The principal? The other people at Second Mile?

Maybe he originally saw Sandusky's shouting matches as some type of tough love to get through to the boys? My own son played football for years and some of his coaches were intimidating that way during practice, but the kids learn to take it in stride (or they quit the team because they hate it).

However, I've never heard of a coach, volunteer or not, who singled out boys for one-on-ones this way, or called them after school.
And I just hope people understand that it is not normally the way things are done in high school football, or any sport. This coach Turchetta surely realized that, but once again we come back to the fact that Second Mile was the perfect situation for Sandusky because it was all done in the name of charity and "helping troubled teens." And that's why people looked the other way, imo. :twocents:

BBM

My son had some tough hockey coaches who yelled at the kids. And he occasionally got messages on our home phone about practice times, etc. from a coach. But if he ever started getting pulled out of class and having shouting matches about 'not spending enough time with him..." :mad:

http://www.theindychannel.com/sports/29873636/detail.html

Sandusky has a private investigator hunting down his victims and he will remember all of their names. The photos, described in that one article, on his home's wall will likely be photos of his victims (essentially trophies of his conquest). With these photos, the investigator will be able to find his victims.:furious:

I don't mean to speak for Pensfan, but I do understand where he is coming from in some of his posts. Being a PSU grad, it is very hard to see so many people connected to my school being accused of being evil just based on their proximity to an evil man.

Pensfan has provided several links demonstrating that Penn State has a long history of service to the community and charity involvement. This is not meant to excuse Sandusky's acts, or Paterno's, McQueary's, Spanier's, Schultz's or Raykovitz's inaction. But I don't agree that the entire history of good acts by hundreds of thousands of people is now invalid because we are disgusted with a small group that allowed this to continue. What the victims went through is unconscionable, but I agree with Pensfan that not everybody Sandusky dealt with had to know. Our own Azwriter discussed how Washington, PA is questioning how this could be the same person they thought they knew. I would suggest that many people in the State College area are having those same thoughts.

We all have opinions about what could have been done differently, but we just don't know the truth yet. I don't know any of the players personally, but if I were someone like Sue Paterno, I would hope to be given the respectful benefit of the doubt, not maligned as an entitled woman who protected a predator just based on our hunches.

Just my opinion - everyone here is a wonderful advocate for victims of crime and abuse, and I thank you all for your energy. I just recognize why some of us feel the need to stand up for the Penn State that we know, without being accused of trolling or supporting the <self-snip> responsible. Thanks for listening.:twocents:

My heart goes out to you and all good Penn Staters. IMO, the Penn State you knew is gone. Never to be the same again, due to no fault of your own.

Jay Paterno, Joe's son who is still on the coaching staff, wrote this eerily prophetic column as part of a fundraising effort before the scandal broke.

The love for and loyalty to Penn State is a bond, an agreement even, among 570,000 living alumni – we understand that what each and everyone of us does not only heightens the Penn State name for ourselves, but for 569,999 other Penn Staters as well. It is a code by which our alumni live.

Just as quickly, that value can be gone.

An athletic scandal, an academic impropriety, exorbitant salaries, rampant grade inflation. These can quickly overtake a school’s long history of academic achievement with single selfish acts.

http://www.statecollege.com/news/columns/jay-paterno-penn-state-love-and-loyalty-921673/

My heart goes out to you and all good Penn Staters. IMO, the Penn State you knew is gone. Never to be the same again, due to no fault of your own.

Jay Paterno, Joe's son who is still on the coaching staff, wrote this eerily prophetic column as part of a fundraising effort before the scandal broke.
Quote:
The love for and loyalty to Penn State is a bond, an agreement even, among 570,000 living alumni &#8211; we understand that what each and everyone of us does not only heightens the Penn State name for ourselves, but for 569,999 other Penn Staters as well. It is a code by which our alumni live.

Just as quickly, that value can be gone.

An athletic scandal, an academic impropriety, exorbitant salaries, rampant grade inflation. These can quickly overtake a school&#8217;s long history of academic achievement with single selfish acts.

http://www.statecollege.com/news/col...oyalty-921673/
Ohhhhhh, thank you, BigCat for all your support, but Jay is obviously not the best and brightest from Penn State. Employers want graduates that are prepared to use their excellent education. A football scandal does not decrease any of Penn State's or its students' academic achievements. Jay should read the Wall Street Journal instead of Sports Illustrated and play books.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704358904575477643369663352.html

"A charity for at-risk children founded by a former Penn State assistant football coach now charged with molesting boys asked its donors on Monday to instead give their money to an organization for sexual-assault victims.

The Second Mile's recommendation to donate to the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape is the latest sign its days may be numbered, although it said its December programs will continue as scheduled."

More at link:
http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/555842/Second-Mile--Give-to-others.html?nav=742

The raping/molesting of children has occurred since the beginning of man.
----

Yes. I'll even bet that these sick pervs. were justifying their rapes with the idea that it enhanced their sports performance. I've read that pederasts often refer to historical documents where it was routine for boys to be sexually exploited as a "partner" in order for a warrior to go to battle. Clarify for me if it is in Greek or Roman/or both cultures.

Won't the rapes take care of that problem also? Getting his name on the Megan's Law list is the least of his problems and my hopes...he needs to go to PRISON for a long time!

You mention 5 witnesses, but we know that at least 10 others have come forward, plus the 2 children, one his own grandchild...and the investigation continues....

Those witnesses, unfortunately, only saw the act happening to themselves, and a good defense attorney could discredit them. Victim 1 and Victim 6 have the least problems, because there are independent witnesses; it is not the victim's word alone against Sandusky's.

It is a bit like a victim, Mary, saying "Sam punched me in the eye." That was a few years ago, Mary didn't medical treatment, nobody saw her with a black eye, and nobody saw Sam punch Mary. That is a hard case to prove.

Now, if Sam says, at the time, in front of several witnesses, including two police officers, "I punched Mary in the eye," Mary's story suddenly gets a lot stronger. It becomes a question of if the witnesses are telling the truth and if the punch in the eye was a criminal act, and what criminal act it was.

Congrats on this, your 1,000th WS post, btw!

Thank you, and I desperately wish it did not involve this case.

While hugely off topic, I would like to thank whomever runs this site for two things:

A. Putting up for someone both as curmudgeonly and acerbic as I am. I am surprised that I have hit 1000 posts without being banned.

B. Keeping an on-line archive of posts. For a researcher, it is a gold mine.

Thank you, and I desperately wish it did not involve this case.

While hugely off topic, I would like to thank whomever runs this site for two things:

A. Putting up for someone both as curmudgeonly and acerbic as I am. I am surprised that I have hit 1000 posts without being banned.

B. Keeping an on-line archive of posts. For a researcher, it is a gold mine.

Yes, congrats, JJ ... having a major LoL on your Point A. comment ... I may not always agree with some of your viewpoints, but you do make us 'think' better. Of course, MOO ... !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam