OH OH - Michael Klitch, 12, Grandview Heights, 28 June 1971

I am not sure,

But if Mike's Dad was Richard Klitch, Richard was a very prominent tennis coach in the Ohio area. Here is an article about him:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...R_sjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=SRIEAAAAIBAJ&pg=2862,698237

It is from 2003.

If this is a relation, and I have almost no doubt it is, it is even more heartbreaking that Mike was abducted and killed simply doing something he likely enjoyed.

Yes, this is Mike's father. His parents still live in the same house that Mike and his siblings lived at in 1971.

Thanks for sharing the newspaper article with us about Mike's father.

Yes, this is Mike's father. His parents still live in the same house that Mike and his siblings lived at in 1971.

Thanks!

What is so painful about this case is that it's not like Mike's abduction and killing happened in some high-crime or at risk neighborhood. It's not like he was walking on some dangerous streets at night, or even during the day. Mike was just playing tennis on the tennis count in a seemingly upper-middle class community. Not exactly know for crime and the horror of abduction and murder.

Just some other questions:

1.) It sounds like the Klitch's had money and likely prestige in the community. It would seem that they were very well liked in the community. But could there have been some nut-case out there who was angry at the family's success and used Mike's abduction and murder as a form of revenge? Did anyone in the family have any known enemies and why?

2.) Or do you think that Mike was abducted and killed by a complete stranger who just happened to be in the area and wanted to abduct a kid and murder him?

3.) Do you think anyone say ANYTHING that horrible day, or heard anything? Or did this happen so fast that no one heard anything? There was as I recall, a maid in one of the apartments across the way who saw a boy fitting Mike's description playing tennis at the courts.

4.) Were there statements from the family concerning how well they thought Mike's case was being handled by LE to catch his abductor and murderer?

Satch

This I believe is an article about Mike's mother, Joan who in 2011 was President of an Ohio Bridge club:

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content...in-club-marks-75-years-of-playing-bridge.html

It seems the family was very socially involved and had wonderful support from the community. Note that the article is more about the club itself than Mrs. Klitch. The family really sounds like great people! It is beyond heartbreaking how Mike was taken from them.

Satch

Sorry if I missed this, it's late & I'm having brain fatigue. Was anyone from the luxury high-rise apartments interviewed?

Sorry if I missed this, it's late & I'm having brain fatigue. Was anyone from the luxury high-rise apartments interviewed?

Greetings,

I read that a cleaning lady at the apartments said she saw someone matching Mike's description on the tennis courts that afternoon. This poor kid was wearing a pull over sweater in almost 100 degree heat! A lot of young pre-teans and teens, don't follow the weather. Although I learn toward a forced abduction here, his killer may have seen him in that heat a pretended to have pity on him. Could it be with heat being as bad as it was, and assuming that Mike was so hot, that he could have forgotten about his proper apprehension of strangers because the heat was getting to him, badly?

Trying to work out a time interview. Some say Mike left the house at 2:10 PM and was probably on the tennis court for a good hour. just guessing that the abduction could have happened sometime between 3:00 to 3:30. My feeling is that Mike probably did not take water, ice, or other cooling equipment. Could weather that hot have affected his judgment or thinking into being lulled away? We can't dismiss the report of how hot that weather was. As I recall, Mrs. Klitch came to pick up Mike about 3:35-3:40. He was supposed to go swimming with his siblings after tennis and than play a baseball game later that day.

What moves you to tears with this case is how EASILY Mike Klitch could have been saved! Anyone from the family, or the kids he met telling him, "Oh, Mike it's 100 degrees out, too hot to play tennis." He was known as a great kid and was close to his family. The fact that he always left notes where he was going, (except that tragic day, Mike did not.) However, he did tell his Mother he was going to the tennis courts around 2PM, so I don't think him not leaving a note was unusual. Mike seemed to show great maturity and responsibility for his age! He could have met up with even as little as one other person and his killer probably would not have abducted him and killed him. He could have sensed the bad heat and said himself, "It's too hot to play, I'm going back home."

Even playing with another person on the court, instead of him just presumably serving the ball against a ricochet wall, could have prevented this whole thing! (I assume he was alone the whole time.)

Satch

Thanks!

What is so painful about this case is that it's not like Mike's abduction and killing happened in some high-crime or at risk neighborhood. It's not like he was walking on some dangerous streets at night, or even during the day. Mike was just playing tennis on the tennis count in a seemingly upper-middle class community. Not exactly know for crime and the horror of abduction and murder.

Just some other questions:

1.) It sounds like the Klitch's had money and likely prestige in the community. It would seem that they were very well liked in the community. But could there have been some nut-case out there who was angry at the family's success and used Mike's abduction and murder as a form of revenge? Did anyone in the family have any known enemies and why?

2.) Or do you think that Mike was abducted and killed by a complete stranger who just happened to be in the area and wanted to abduct a kid and murder him?

3.) Do you think anyone say ANYTHING that horrible day, or heard anything? Or did this happen so fast that no one heard anything? There was as I recall, a maid in one of the apartments across the way who saw a boy fitting Mike's description playing tennis at the courts.

4.) Were there statements from the family concerning how well they thought Mike's case was being handled by LE to catch his abductor and murderer?

Satch

I don't know if anyone in the family had any enemies. But that is a good thought about the possibility of a nut-case being angry with the family.

I think it's possible that Mike was abducted and killed by a complete stranger or he was abducted and killed by someone that his family knew, but his family wouldn't suspect that person of abducting and killing Mike.

I think the abduction happened quickly, and it could be possible that chloroform was used in the abduction. The only question here is whether the abduction was committed by one suspect or by two suspects. My current thinking is that it likely involved one suspect committing the abduction.

I'm not aware of the family making any kind of statements in the news media concerning how Mike's case was being handled by LE.

Here's an interesting thought that I had. We know that the area in rural Delaware County where Mike's body was found was at an old abandoned quarry.

I do know that there are quarries west of the Scioto River that are less than one and a half mile from Mike's home that are still in operation today.

I wonder if Mike could have been abducted by someone who worked at a quarry or were familiar with quarries.

It would be interesting to find out if the area where the bodies of Jerry Michael Bayles Junior in Indiana and Marvin Lee "Beau" King in Springfield, Ohio were found anywhere near a quarry.

Was anyone from the luxury high-rise apartments interviewed?

An article in the Columbus newspaper two days after Mike disappeared mentioned that a maid working in one of the high rise apartments told police that she saw a boy matching Mike’s description on the tennis courts that afternoon from the high rise apartment windows facing the tennis courts.

The newspaper article didn’t mention any other tenants from the high rise apartments having seen a boy on the tennis courts that afternoon.

The same newspaper article also mentioned that Mike’s parents were checking out a sod company laying sod in the area near the tennis courts in hopes that the sod company workers might have seen Mike.

I honestly don’t know if the sod company workers did see Mike walking to the tennis courts or if they had seen anything suspicious in the area that day.

You can Google "Michael D Klitch" for some old newspaper archives and very sadly, a death record, which lists Mike's death as June 28, 1971. LE, based on the examination of his body, believed that when Mike was found On July 11, 1971 he had passed away about two weeks previous.

Satch

Hi All,

I am not a LE person or an authority on investigations. The horror of this being that Mike Klitch was an abducted and murdered child is something that is haunting and frightening beyond all comprehension. What I was wonder is, since DNA testing did not exist back in 1971, from an investigator perspective, is there any (so sorry to be so blunt, but I don't know how to put this delicately, I wish I could) is there any piece of evidence that LE could extract from Mike Klitch's remains or even his tennis items and clothes found in that illegal trash dump site for Mike Kitch's DNA? Where this DNA could be entered into a database nationally and try to match it against known criminal offenders?

Now as this is an unsolved murder/abduction, is it true that these casses never close, and can be reopened on the grounds of new evidence? Or does this vary by different state laws? Is Mike Klitch's case considered closed? I hope not, because it seems we are no closer to whom his abductor and killer was today, than back in 1971 when this happened.

Or is this case so old that we almost need to have a credible witness come forward and say he/she saw the abduction and or murder of Michael Klitch? Or a deathbed confession by his abductor and killer?

Satch

Hi All,

I am not a LE person or an authority on investigations. The horror of this being that Mike Klitch was an abducted and murdered child is something that is haunting and frightening beyond all comprehension. What I was wonder is, since DNA testing did not exist back in 1971, from an investigator perspective, is there any (so sorry to be so blunt, but I don't know how to put this delicately, I wish I could) is there any piece of evidence that LE could extract from Mike Klitch's remains or even his tennis items and clothes found in that illegal trash dump site for Mike Kitch's DNA? Where this DNA could be entered into a database nationally and try to match it against known criminal offenders?

Now as this is an unsolved murder/abduction, is it true that these cases never close, and can be reopened on the grounds of new evidence? Or does this vary by different state laws? Is Mike Klitch's case considered closed? I hope not, because it seems we are no closer to whom his abductor and killer was today, than back in 1971 when this happened.

Or is this case so old that we almost need to have a credible witness come forward and say he/she saw the abduction and or murder of Michael Klitch? Or a deathbed confession by his abductor and killer?

Satch

I honestly don't know if any DNA tests were conducted, but I believe LE should be able to extract something from the physical evidence that was found from the crime scene.

It is true that unsolved murder cases are never closed. They are considered to be open cases until someone is convicted in a court of law for the crime of murder.

I've never heard of any jurisdiction in the United States of having any kind of statue of limitations for the crime of murder.

An unsolved murder case can be inactive for many years, but it is still an open murder case. An inactive unsolved murder case can suddenly become an active murder investigation if new evidence or information emerges in the murder case.

I honestly don't know if any DNA tests were conducted, but I believe LE should be able to extract something from the physical evidence that was found from the crime scene.

It is true that unsolved murder cases are never closed. They are considered to be open cases until someone is convicted in a court of law for the crime of murder.

I've never heard of any jurisdiction in the United States of having any kind of statue of limitations for the crime of murder.

An unsolved murder case can be inactive for many years, but it is still an open murder case. An inactive unsolved murder case can suddenly become an active murder investigation if new evidence or information emerges in the murder case.

This was very helpful!

It would also be great to propose the DNA issue above to the LE official (now retired?) who worked on Mike's case for thirty years. If he is retired, whoever takes over for him in the investigation, or is currently handling the case, may be able to extract DNA from the items at the crime-scene. Even that car that a witness saw turn into the area that had the shed, could be very important. Especially breaking down the time interval concerning the night that car was scene between June 28, 1971 when Mike went missing and July 11, 1971, when his remains were found in the shed.

Thanks for this information!

Satch

Here's a new map that shows the location of the railroad tracks in Grandview Heights.

View attachment 56451

The blue dot is where Michael Dean Klitch lived.

The black dot is the high rise apartments.

The red dot is the tennis courts where Michael Dean Klitch was last seen.

The purple dot is the swimming pool.

The green line is the possible route that Michael Dean Klitch may have took when he walked from his home to the tennis courts.

The yellow line is the location from the tennis courts to the swimming pool and the route Michael's mother would have took to drive from the tennis courts to the swimming pool.

Looking at the red dot where the tennis courts are, you can see that the railroad tracks are right behind the tennis courts.

Hi All,

I have a color deficiency to certain darker colors. (With regards to the map dots in the above post.) I forgot if this was mentioned before. How far were the tennis courts from the shack where Mike's body was found?

The other thing that kind of strikes me odd, would be Mike going to the tennis courts to play tennis alone. I mentioned before that he would have to have a ricochet wall for solo play. Do most tennis courts have that? Tennis has always been recognized as a two-player game, or four player doubles (two on each side.)

All evidence points to Mike being alone on the court for the time that he was there. He would have to have many multiple tennis balls to just hit a wall by himself. Only one tennis ball was found near the gate. The pacing and moving alone with a 96 degree heat index would were out Mike very quickly. Does anyone know how the structure of the court has changed today since 1971? Have security measures been improved to prevent this type of tragedy in the future? I wonder how the court is different today? Is the court (or was) it a part of a larger sports structure?

Assuming that Mike was abducted from someone on the outside looking in, you wonder if an added security measure of a locked gate on the outside might have been installed after the tragedy? Or if one had been in place back in 1971, could have prevented the tragedy? I don't know much about tennis courts. I know surfaces can be such as grass, hard-court, and clay. Here is an article about an area in Lake Shore Park in Chicago, who passed a resolution to lock the tennis courts because of dog owners allowing their dogs to roam freely, and they wouldn't clean up their dog's "messes." Scroll down at the link to see the locked gate:

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2014...tennis-courts-keep-dogs----their-poop----away

However, there is a much stronger possibility here that a locked gate, similar to what is shown at the picture in the link, could have possibly saved Mike that day! If players would have to go through an office area to register and get to the court to play where you have to open the gate from the inside, or have personnel there to control the gate. Everyone on the court would be safer. I am sure that people didn't think that far ahead with safety concerns back in 1971. Some questions might also be raised, "How much safety is too much?" However, no such thing as "Too much safety" to the family of a murdered loved one. Would some added security or even people on the court that day have saved Mike Klitch?

Satch

How far were the tennis courts from the shack where Mike's body was found?

The other thing that kind of strikes me odd, would be Mike going to the tennis courts to play tennis alone. I mentioned before that he would have to have a ricochet wall for solo play. Do most tennis courts have that?

Does anyone know how the structure of the court has changed today since 1971? Have security measures been improved to prevent this type of tragedy in the future? I wonder how the court is different today? Is the court (or was) it a part of a larger sports structure?

Assuming that Mike was abducted from someone on the outside looking in, you wonder if an added security measure of a locked gate on the outside might have been installed after the tragedy? Or if one had been in place back in 1971, could have prevented the tragedy?

If players would have to go through an office area to register and get to the court to play where you have to open the gate from the inside, or have personnel there to control the gate. Everyone on the court would be safer. I am sure that people didn't think that far ahead with safety concerns back in 1971.

Satch

Michael Dean Klitch’s body was found in rural Delaware County 25 miles away from where he was abducted at in Grandview Heights. The location where Michael’s body was found was 1 ½ miles west of I-71 in rural Delaware County.

I honestly don’t know if the structure of the tennis court has changed since 1971. I don’t think the municipal tennis courts in Grandview Heights had locked gates back in 1971 or today.

I don’t know if the Grandview Heights municipal tennis court had a ricochet wall for solo play. It could be possible that the tennis court had a machine that threw tennis balls for solo play.

From what I remember driving by the Grandview Heights municipal tennis courts on Goodale Blvd., it is on a small park like setting that’s similar to a neighborhood park having an outdoor basketball court or playground.

I do know that back in 1971, the municipal and private swimming pools were the only places that I recall having locked gates and an office area staffed by personnel that you went through.

Michael Dean Klitch’s body was found in rural Delaware County 25 miles away from where he was abducted at in Grandview Heights. The location where Michael’s body was found was 1 ½ miles west of I-71 in rural Delaware County.

I honestly don’t know if the structure of the tennis court has changed since 1971. I don’t think the municipal tennis courts in Grandview Heights had locked gates back in 1971 or today.

I don’t know if the Grandview Heights municipal tennis court had a ricochet wall for solo play. It could be possible that the tennis court had a machine that threw tennis balls for solo play.

From what I remember driving by the Grandview Heights municipal tennis courts on Goodale Blvd., it is on a small park like setting that’s similar to a neighborhood park having an outdoor basketball court or playground.

I do know that back in 1971, the municipal and private swimming pools were the only places that I recall having locked gates and an office area staffed by personnel that you went through.

Thank you for this information!

Do you think a locked gate or security camera could have saved Mike? I think he was taken by force, or knocked out by some chemical, where if he tried to run away he would have been caught. If he had tried to scream, he could have been hurt right at the court. I don't recall any evidence of a struggle at the court. The horror of him being in a car and even knowing about what was going on, is terrifying beyond all comprehension! Better security could have saved him!

Because Mike's Dad was so involved in sports activities, especially tennis, I would assume that management of the Grandview Heights Tennis courts knew him had and the family well. Everyone had to be devastated by this! I wonder if they did a special memorial for Mike as a dedication to his memory? I looked up more information. Mike was an awesome kid and a fine student. No evidence of anything negative about him at all.

Satch

The school year had already ended a few weeks earlier. Like all other school age youths, twelve year old Michael Dean Klitch was enjoying his summer vacation participating in many summer outdoor activities.

Michael Dean Klitch was very close to his family. The youth had always left notes concerning his whereabouts whenever he left his parent’s home.

Michael Dean Klitch left his Cambridge Boulevard home in Marble Cliff at approximately 2:00 p.m. on Monday June 28, 1971 to practice tennis at the Grandview Heights municipal tennis courts at Goodale Boulevard & Urlin Avenue in Grandview Heights for an upcoming tennis tournament that he had recently entered.

Earlier that day, the Michael Dean Klitch told his mother he was going to the tennis courts and asked his mother to pick him up at the tennis courts later that afternoon. When the youth left home that afternoon, he didn’t leave a note concerning his whereabouts.

View attachment 56022

Michael Dean Klitch was wearing horn rimmed glasses, aqua pullover sweater with white stripes around the collar and sleeves, yellow tan shorts with knee length white socks and white tennis shoes with a black stripe when he left home.

As Michael was walking by himself to the tennis courts, he stopped to talk with neighborhood children about 2:30 p.m. in front of the church near his home. It was the last time that Michael Dean Klitch was seen in his neighborhood by neighborhood children.

A maid working at the luxury high rise Summit Chase apartments at Goodale Boulevard & Urlin Avenue told police that she saw a boy fitting Michael Dean Klitch’s description playing tennis by himself that afternoon. The tennis courts were across the street from the high rise apartments.

Michael’s mother and two of his siblings arrived at the tennis courts at 3:30 p.m. to pick him up and take them swimming at the Grandview Swimming Club at 1350 West Goodale Boulevard.

The tennis courts were empty and Michael Dean Klitch was nowhere to be seen when Michael’s mother and his siblings arrived at the tennis courts to pick him up.

After waiting on her son at the empty tennis courts, Michael’s mother then drove and dropped his siblings off at the Grandview Swimming Club before attending a school board meeting that afternoon. Michael’s mother was a member of the Grandview Heights school board.

After returning home from the school board meeting, Michael’s mother had expected to find her son home. But the youth hadn’t returned home. And none of his siblings had seen him return home.

Michael played centerfield in a little league baseball team and he had an important baseball game that he was to have played that evening.

Michael’s parents contacted police that evening when he didn’t return home.

One of Michael’s tennis balls was found at the tennis court four feet from the gate. The tennis ball was an unusual brand that the youth’s father had brought for his son.

Michael’s parents believed that their son must have left the tennis courts in a hurry as he would never leave his tennis balls lying there.

Michael Dean Klitch was described by his parents as adventuresome, such as trying a double flip from the diving board at the pool, but he didn’t like new situations or new people.

An extensive search was conducted by police and civilians for the missing youth. The wooded areas from Dublin Road & Grandview Avenue east towards Twin Rivers Drive and west towards West Fifth Avenue were searched.

Penn Central Railroad Police were also informed about the youth’s disappearance as their railroad tracks were right behind the municipal tennis courts where Michael Dean Klitch was last seen.

A five thousand dollar reward seeking information leading to the safe return of Michael Dean Klitch was offered by anonymous friends of the Klitch family.

Almost two weeks after the youth’s disappearance, at about 7:45 p.m. on the evening of Sunday July 11, 1971, the body of Michael Dean Klitch was found inside an old wooden tool shack on a old dirt road two miles south of Cheshire and one fifth of a mile west of Africa Road and Plumb Road near Alum Creek in Delaware County.

The remote area where the youth’s body was found was shrouded on both sides of the dirt road by thick thorny vines, small trees, and head high weeds.

The body was found by two adult siblings who had went for an evening walk with their children along the dirt road to pick berries and to skip rocks at an old quarry pond. The adult siblings were visiting their parents who lived in the area near the crime scene.

Michael Dean Klitch’s body was found badly charred and decomposed inside the old wooden tool shack. His eyeglasses, tennis racket, tennis shoes, and clothing that he wore on the day of his disappearance were found in an illegal trash dump near the tool shack.

The shack was on land recently purchased but not yet transferred over to the federal government for the new Alum Creek Dam that was under construction about one and a half miles south of the murder scene.

The remote area where the youth’s body was found in July 1971 is now Alum Creek Lake.

An autopsy revealed that Michael Dean Klitch had been stabbed 26 times in the left chest by a butcher knife and he had been deceased for about two weeks prior to his body being found.

The coroner didn’t find any evidence of struggle by the victim, but couldn’t determine if the victim had been molested due to the condition of the body.

Authorities believe that Michael Dean Klitch was murdered at another location before his body was dumped inside the tool shack and set ablaze by his killer.

No one has ever been arrested in connection with the abduction and murder of Michael Dean Klitch and the case remains unsolved to this day.

Sources:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Files/Law-Enforcement/Investigator/Cold-Case/Homicides/Klitch

The Columbus Citizen Journal and the Columbus Dispatch newspapers on microfilm at the public library.

Oh that picture of Mike above is so haunting!

I have a question though, look at where the tennis court net apparently ends where Mike is picking up his tennis ball. Is that a road there? Or another part of the tennis court? It's obstructed by the net. But if that's a roadway, Oh my! How easy it would be for someone in a car to just grab somebody very very quickly. What would stop a ball from a strong volley just going out into the street there? Please forgive me if I am looking at the picture wrong. But from the looks of that picture, that does not look like a safe place to play tennis. If that's a road, the short distance between it and the court. I hope those courts aren't like that today.

If that's a road there, that IMO is even worse than the railroad tracks. When I first saw that picture, it concerned me, but now I have looked at it several times. There seems to be no partition or separation there!

Satch

Do you think a locked gate or security camera could have saved Mike? I think he was taken by force, or knocked out by some chemical, where if he tried to run away he would have been caught. If he had tried to scream, he could have been hurt right at the court. I don't recall any evidence of a struggle at the court. The horror of him being in a car and even knowing about what was going on, is terrifying beyond all comprehension! Better security could have saved him!

It was a different era back in 1971 and folks didn't think that far ahead with safety concerns back then. I was a kid in 1971 and I don’t recall seeing security cameras in the premise back then at many places. My guess is that most places back then didn’t have recorded security cameras on account of it being expensive.

My thinking is that even if the tennis court had a recorded security camera in 1971, there is the possibility that Mike could have been abducted at another location if his abductor or abductors were aware of the tennis court having a recorded security camera.

Oh that picture of Mike above is so haunting!

I have a question though, look at where the tennis court net apparently ends where Mike is picking up his tennis ball. Is that a road there? Or another part of the tennis court? It's obstructed by the net. But if that's a roadway, Oh my! How easy it would be for someone in a car to just grab somebody very very quickly. What would stop a ball from a strong volley just going out into the street there? Please forgive me if I am looking at the picture wrong. But from the looks of that picture, that does not look like a safe place to play tennis. If that's a road, the short distance between it and the court. I hope those courts aren't like that today.

If that's a road there, that IMO is even worse than the railroad tracks. When I first saw that picture, it concerned me, but now I have looked at it several times. There seems to be no partition or separation there!

Satch

I think the picture of Mike picking up his tennis ball at a tennis court was taken at another location. I don’t know where that picture was taken at though. But it appears to be in a residential area somewhere with a road very close to the tennis court.

The municipal tennis court where Mike was last seen at Goodale Boulevard and Urlin Avenue in Grandview Heights didn’t have residential houses that were so close to the tennis court.

Here is a link to see the street view of Goodale Boulevard and Urlin Avenue where the municipal tennis court is located at in Grandview Heights.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Goodale+Boulevard+&+Urlin+Ave+Columbus,+O H&hl=en&ll=39.976686,-83.050719&spn=0.000016,0.006899&sll=39.976684,-83.050648&layer=c&cbp=13,72.34,,0,5.57&cbll=39.976686,-83.050719&hnear=Goodale+Blvd+%26+Urlin+Ave,+Grandview+Height s,+Ohio&t=m&z=17&iwloc=A&panoid=UiZE2eX3a1k0Kn-wvFtSaQ

You will see that the area where Mike was last seen at the municipal tennis court is in a different location than the picture where Mike picked up his tennis ball.

I think the picture of Mike picking up his tennis ball at a tennis court was taken at another location. I don’t know where that picture was taken at though. But it appears to be in a residential area somewhere with a road very close to the tennis court.

The municipal tennis court where Mike was last seen at Goodale Boulevard and Urlin Avenue in Grandview Heights didn’t have residential houses that were so close to the tennis court.

Here is a link to see the street view of Goodale Boulevard and Urlin Avenue where the municipal tennis court is located at in Grandview Heights.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Goodale+Boulevard+&+Urlin+Ave+Columbus,+O H&hl=en&ll=39.976686,-83.050719&spn=0.000016,0.006899&sll=39.976684,-83.050648&layer=c&cbp=13,72.34,,0,5.57&cbll=39.976686,-83.050719&hnear=Goodale+Blvd+%26+Urlin+Ave,+Grandview+Height s,+Ohio&t=m&z=17&iwloc=A&panoid=UiZE2eX3a1k0Kn-wvFtSaQ

You will see that the area where Mike was last seen at the municipal tennis court is in a different location than the picture where Mike picked up his tennis ball.

Good points,

That picture seems to be at another location. The open road situation and Mike's horrifying abduction just kind of leaped out at me. Mike certainly could have played tennis on other courts. Is it known how many courts are at the Grandview Heights location now, or even back in 1971? I assume it was probably maybe one or two courts?

Absolutely correct that security was not anywhere near an issue that it is today, which is probably why at the time neither Mike's parents nor his siblings, or friends could have predicted such a tragic situation. Mike was certainly familiar with the game of tennis, far beyond his years, with his fathers' coaching expertise. He knew that court, had probably played there many, times without a second thought as to something bad happening if he was alone.

He was way overdressed for 100 degree heat, but if the Klitch's had an air conditioned home maybe neither he nor they knew just how hot it was that day. Most young kids don't really pay that much attention to the weather. The weather is important in this case, because I consider it a strong possibility that Mike may have really been suffering out there. Remember if the description of what he wore that day is correct, he had on a pull over-sweater in almost 100 degree heat. This is a dangerous health situation. Either he was taken by force, or his abductor and killer lured him with false pity. (Or perhaps both elements played a role.) Mike's uncomfortableness with what the heat was doing to him may have overtaken his fear of strangers and new situations. We also know that a gate WAS at this location, because one of Mike's tennis balls was found there.

This case gives new meaning to heartbreaking. If only Mike would have sensed the terrible heat even starting out for the court, and just turned around and gone back home. His life would have been saved!

Satch

Just thinking that if a woman who was working in an apartment saw mike on the tennis court, maybe another person living in the apartments saw him too. Watched him playing there for an hour. Took a cold drink over there to him. jmo moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back