17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #27

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect to your year of con law and semester of criminal procedure, I think I'll take the word of the Sanford Chief of Police and the city of Sanford; an official explanation is front and center on their web site specifically addressing why he was NOT arrested here: http://www.sanfordfl.gov/index.html.
It clearly states:

It doesn't say that he wasn't charged, it says that he wasn't ARRESTED. According to this sources, and countless others, he was NOT arrested, and I would presume that Sanford PD has more accurate information on that than just an assumption that handcuffs equal an arrest.

I agree, either gitana is correct that he was arrested and SPD is lying about him being arrested or he really wasn't. If they didn't mirandize him, they for sure are not going to say they 'arrested' him because it gets them into all sorts of hot water, he's basically testifying to the officers in the video.

I agree, either gitana is correct that he was arrested and SPD is lying about him being arrested or he really wasn't. If they didn't mirandize him, they for sure are not going to say they 'arrested' him because it gets them into all sorts of hot water, he's basically testifying to the officers in the video.

For one thing, it makes no sense for PD to lie about whether he was arrested or not, especially when the lack of an arrest is a primary point that galvanized the movement that his parents spearheaded to push for an arrest.

But let me put it another way: Martin's parents have called repeatedly for an arrest. Zimmerman's family has not at all argued against the fact that he was not arrested that night, nor have his lawyers. Apparently the Sanford PD, the Mayor, both of the families involved, and every MSM outlet (and non-MSM as well) and all the experts at their disposal are in agreement that this man was not arrested on the night of the crime. So why is this even an argument?

As some one who has never used photoshop, could you please explain what about that pic makes you think it has been photoshopped? Are there signs, or evidence that we should look at that makes you think that? TIA

it appears that the color/hue/saturation has been fiddled with making what may be scratches appear to be wounds.

I've been trying to work something out in my head for the last couple of days and that is the gun. When did GZ pull it out of the holster? I'm not convinced that he was walking around with it out, but I can't get my head around the story that he pulled it out while Trayvon was on top of him either. And here is why.....(please feel free to correct anything I may have wrong that is already documented as "known".)

The story goes that at some point Trayvon was straddling GZ banging his head against the ground, and that is when GZ got his gun and shot Trayvon. What I have trouble with is how did GZ get his gun if Trayvon was sitting on him in a straddle position?

GZ was wearing a jacket, so, he would have had to get under, around or over one of Trayvons legs, under his jacket if it hadn't ridden up during the physical fight to reach his gun right? The story goes GZ couldn't dislodge or stop Trayvon any other way, but that would mean Trayvons legs were tight against GZ right? I would think the most logical place to straddle a person would be around the stomach/waist?

So how did GZ, who supposedly couldn't dislodge Trayvon, get his hand under, over or around a fighting person on top of him as well as under this jacket to reach his gun? What am I missing here?

I almost wish Steft50 hadn't made this post last night. Now I'm hung up on trying to understand how someone on the bottom.....

TMGetToGun4.png

getting brutally beaten.....brains smashed on the sidewalk.....loosing consciousness .....short of breath.....and swallowing his own blood.....could ever reach into the waist on the INSIDE of his britches.....that his attacker is sitting on.....

TMWaistBand.png

draw out his little gun.....

TMLittleThang.png

and shoot his attacker in the chest, killing him.

I just don't get it.

Do you think the story (stories) GZ told his father and Frank Taffee will be allowed in court? If so, would they be called to testify on the stand, and if so, will the interviews where they conveyed his story to the media be played in court as well. I hope so, because if not, he can get on the stand and say something different and get away with it. My hope is that with these different accounts, and the absurdity of them, that the jury will not believe GZ.

According to Richard Hornsby, anything that Zimmerman has personally shared with any of his friends or family would subject them to being called as a witness in his trial. Won't that be an absolute hoot?

(I believe this information can be found on thread #225, post #661).

~jmo~

This was my first thought, not only did the guilty walk free but as far as I'm concerned Judge Perry did not have control of his court room.

Please, let's not argue the Anthony case here. There's an entire forum on Websleuths for that. A lot of things made that case very complicated and turn out the way it did. I followed it from the start, too. It would take volumes to explain it. Perry is still a good judge that just had a bad case. I am not going to assume this new judge for Trayvon is going to go down the same road. This is a different case, a vastly different crime altogether with a competent defense attorney, an actual crime scene, and I am sure it's a lot more straightforward than Casey's case. I am sure Trayvon's case stands a much better chance of turning out better than Casey's did.

Personally myself, Bonaparte and ex-Police Chief Bill Lee have zero credibility to me. The only one so far in the city of Sanford that has any credibility left whatsoever is Mayor Jeff Triplett.

~jmo~

Here is the copy of the enhanced version on ABC's site. Not quit as dramatic as the one shown above but marks still showing.

Due to the elongated marks I wonder if his head was hitting the edge right where the grass and the sidewalk meet.

Also when the first video aired I thought GZ had a bald spot at the top of his head but after seeing his court video that is not the case, he doesn't have a bald spot. Was his head beaten to the point that the hair was removed or would swelling have caused the appearance of bald skin?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/trayvon-martin-case-doctor-sees-evidence-george-zimmerman/story?id=16055412

abc_george_Zimmerman_injury_video_thg_120402_wg.jpg

Personally myself, Bonaparte and ex-Police Chief Bill Lee have zero credibility to me. The only one so far in the city of Sanford that has any credibility left whatsoever is Mayor Jeff Triplett.

~jmo~

Wouldn't the fact of if he was arrested be in any of the SPD reports though? Wouldn't they notate that they arrested and mirandized GZ and brought him in for questioning?

For one thing, it makes no sense for PD to lie about whether he was arrested or not, especially when the lack of an arrest is a primary point that galvanized the movement that his parents spearheaded to push for an arrest.

But let me put it another way: Martin's parents have called repeatedly for an arrest. Zimmerman's family has not at all argued against the fact that he was not arrested that night, nor have his lawyers. Apparently the Sanford PD, the Mayor, both of the families involved, and every MSM outlet (and non-MSM as well) and all the experts at their disposal are in agreement that this man was not arrested on the night of the crime. So why is this even an argument?
My assumption is that he went to the station voluntarily. Even though he was in cuffs-they may have asked him if he would come into the station for questioning and cuffs may be SOP after a shooting death.
I think this issue would only become important if down the road Zimmerman said he was cuffed, detained and transported against his will because that COULD constitute an arrest and that he should have been mirandized.
But for now I concur he was not arrested but understand how it could be arguable to a judge if he did not go along willingly.

JMHO of course.

ETA: It occurs to me that it could also be SOP to cuff anyone that is involved in a shooting death and detain without being elevated to the level of arrest. Since they knew Zimmerman was the shooter I am betting this is what happened. However it still could be an argument for the defense in the future to get any of his statements thrown out.

More of my opinion.

Here is the copy of the enhanced version on ABC's site. Not quit as dramatic as the one shown above but marks still showing.

Due to the elongated marks I wonder if his head was hitting the edge right where the grass and the sidewalk meet.

Also when the first video aired I thought GZ had a bald spot at the top of his head but after seeing his court video that is not the case, he doesn't have a bald spot. Was his head beaten to the point that the hair was removed or would swelling have caused the appearance of bald skin?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/trayvon-martin-case-doctor-sees-evidence-george-zimmerman/story?id=16055412

I see what may be a scrape but with the version you're showing I see a shine on his head with a reflection of lights.

What's wrong with the police officer's ear and nose, and why does it look like a big bruise under his eye. Does it look like that in the video?

And if this is supposed to be clearer and less distorted, why does the lettering on the back of the police car seem distorted?

ETA: I don't know, I guess time will tell exactly what it is, but to me it almost looks like it's just his hair. I can also make out two faint lines on the left side of his head.

The redness to me looks similar to what we see on the police officer. Don't know the technical terms, but whatever they did to enhance it that caused redness can be seen on the officer, as well as on GZ's neck.

ETA2: Look at the police officer's head and face, he has what looks like a white line that goes all the way from the back of his head down to the bottom of his face.

JMHO

My assumption is that he went to the station voluntarily. Even though he was in cuffs-they may have asked him if he would come into the station for questioning and cuffs may be SOP after a shooting death.
I think this issue would only become important if down the road Zimmerman said he was cuffed, detained and transported against his will because that COULD constitute an arrest and that he should have been mirandized.
But for now I concur he was not arrested but understand how it could be arguable to a judge if he did not go along willingly.

JMHO of course.

ETA: It occurs to me that it could also be SOP to cuff anyone that is involved in a shooting death and detain without being elevated to the level of arrest. Since they knew Zimmerman was the shooter I am betting this is what happened. However it still could be an argument for the defense in the future to get any of his statements thrown out.

More of my opinion.

I'm sure you're right but, either way, it sounds like Officer Tim wasn't taking any chances. :rocker:

TMIrony-1.png

Wouldn't the fact of if he was arrested be in any of the SPD reports though? Wouldn't they notate that they arrested and mirandized GZ and brought him in for questioning?

Well they certainly brought him in for questioning. Legally it sounds like being handcuffed and taken in for questioning is considered to be an arrest. But likely the police at the time are not thinking about what a judge would say about what constitutes an arrest. They are thinking about procedures. They are thinking that no decision has been made about whether to charge him and they don't say, "You are under arrest." They don't put him in a cell, he wasn't given a phone call to an attorney, etc. There's no appearance before a judge. They were given feedback that they shouldn't charge him and they released him after questioning.

I would be very surprised if he was not Mirandized before he gave his statement though and I predict that we'll see that on the tape of his questioning.

It's sure funny to me how this "gash" on Zimmerman's head keeps getting more and more enhanced as time goes on. Perhaps those that are "enhancing" need to learn better use of Photoshop because it certainly doesn't look very authentic to me, just a poor attempt to "prove" that there are marks there when clearly there aren't as evidenced by the original video that was released.

~jmo~

According to this Q&A on this press conference video by SPD stated that GZ was taken into "investigation detention", whatever that term means.

(mark 12:00 of video)

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/new...ney-to-investigate-shooting-of-Trayvon-Martin

>>1. What is an arrest?
When you are arrested, you are taken into custody. This means that you are not free to leave the scene. Without being arrested, however, you still could be detained or held for questioning for a short time if a police officer or other person believes you may be involved in a crime. For example, an officer may detain you if you are carrying a large box near a recent burglary site. Storekeepers also can detain you if they suspect you have stolen something.
Whether you are arrested or detained, you do not have to answer any questions except to give your name and address and show some identification if requested.<<

http://www.richardhornsby.com/criminal/procedure/arrested.html#1

JMHO of course.

More of my opinion.

That is my opinion as well. Police often handcuff people that they aren't arresting, even if it's just to incapacitate them until they can decide what to do with them - or maybe I've seen to many cop shows where they cuff a guy, sit him on the curb or in the back of the car while they clear up other aspects of the situation, and then end up releasing him. I suspect it's just SOP to do so in certain situations, even if the person is coming along voluntarily. Considering how comfortable Zimmerman looks while hanging around and chatting with the officers in the video, walking around freely, not being watched or treated with suspicion, etc., he is almost certainly there voluntarily. He looks like someone who already knows he'll get to go home later, but, again, that's JMO.

I almost wish Steft50 hadn't made this post last night. Now I'm hung up on trying to understand how someone on the bottom.....

getting brutally beaten.....brains smashed on the sidewalk.....loosing consciousness .....short of breath.....and swallowing his own blood.....could ever reach into the waist on the INSIDE of his britches.....that his attacker is sitting on.....

draw out his little gun.....

and shoot his attacker in the chest, killing him.

I just don't get it.

snipped images for blowing margins...

that's what I've been saying....is does not pass the sniff test....the only way it could possibly have happened is if GZ already had the gun out....which in that case, if you believe an unarmed 17 yo was gonna attack and waste time beating someone's head into concrete rather than concentrate on the firearm, I got bridges to sell ya in both brooklyn and london.

>>1. What is an arrest?
When you are arrested, you are taken into custody. This means that you are not free to leave the scene. Without being arrested, however, you still could be detained or held for questioning for a short time if a police officer or other person believes you may be involved in a crime. For example, an officer may detain you if you are carrying a large box near a recent burglary site. Storekeepers also can detain you if they suspect you have stolen something.
Whether you are arrested or detained, you do not have to answer any questions except to give your name and address and show some identification if requested.<<

http://www.richardhornsby.com/criminal/procedure/arrested.html#1

Sounds like this is what happened IMO. If true, I don't think they would of mirandized him. Then the next question is if what he was saying in the video can be used in court?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123