GUILTY OH - David Williams, 27, shot to death, Cleveland, 7 April 2010

Some background on the case.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/04/man_charged_in_parking_lot_sho.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A 25-year-old Uniontown man was charged with aggravated murder Monday in the shooting death of a parking lot attendant.

Matthew Warmus is scheduled to appear in Cleveland Municipal Court at 8:30 a.m. today for an arraignment. Warmus remained in the City Jail Monday.

Police said he shot David Williams, 27, of Maple Heights multiple times after the two got into a fight on East Ninth Street and Sumner Court. Williams tried to stop Warmus from parking in a handicap spot, according to reports.

Williams later died at MetroHealth Medical Center. Police said he was shot once in the head and twice in the abdomen.

Ohiogirl what are your thought on the case. I think Matthew is going to have a hard time getting out of this one, he is lucky he has a daddy that bailed him out. Makes you wonder how many other times he has been bailed out of trouble.

Julie, sorry, I was logged off until now. I think Warmus is a goner. I don't see how the shot to the back of the head can be self defense. I think Warmus went looking for an altercation, and he got exactly what he wanted. It's really a shame that he didn't just walk away. From what I hear, the defense is going to bring on experts that say Warmus was under the influence of marijuana, can't see that that will make any difference. Still doesn't make it self defense. jmo of course.
The witnesses that have been on the stand today all say the same thing, Warmus looked like he was leaving, then turned and fired.
It's too bad for both families. To have your son killed over a parking space is ridiculous, and to have your son go to jail for a long time over a moment of stupidity is also ridiculous.
I just hope that the jury doesn't feel sorry for him, he ruined his own life.

I'm glad to find a thread on it here at WS.

It seems a fairly clear cut case with plenty of evidence and witnesses indicating Warmus deliberately shot Williams without provocation. That said, Warmus has a wealthy, influential family and it appears they have the Plain Dealer working on their behalf trying to sway public opinion in Warmus' favor.

With so much money and so many "experts" ready to testify, its possible Warmus' attorney could confuse the jury enough to win an acquittal. It's happened before.

I much prefer the Akron Beacon Journal coverage of the trial, its much more complete, professional and unbiased.

It's really sad that boys that age feel the need to carry guns. JMO trouble waiting to happen. Seems Warmus felt humiliated after being put in a headlock, which is understandable. Still didn't give him the right to take another persons life. Also three shots is overkill, if he just wanted to protect himself one would have been enough or just taking Williams gun and leaving. One article did say Williams had his gun out that maybe enough to sway a juror on two. Very sad!!!

It's really sad that boys that age feel the need to carry guns. JMO trouble waiting to happen. Seems Warmus felt humiliated after being put in a headlock, which is understandable. Still didn't give him the right to take another persons life. Also three shots is overkill, if he just wanted to protect himself one would have been enough or just taking Williams gun and leaving. One article did say Williams had his gun out that maybe enough to sway a juror on two. Very sad!!!

Yes, its tragic, a senseless death. According to testimony today, of the 5 witnesses called to the stand, including one retired FBI agent, none of them saw Williams pull a gun on Warmus. Williams was walking away from him, all Warmus had to do was get in his car and leave or pay the $10 and go to the game. His dad is a millionaire, he could certainly afford it.

IMHO, it was more than male ego, racism may have also been involved.

I don't think race was an issue they were both white. I feel for the Williams family they are heartbroken. At first the bail was 2 million and then 1 million. Daddy bailed him out with cash, lets hope that daddy isn't buying his freedom. Sadly if he gets out of this, we will be reading about him again because he will kill again. It sounds like he has some serious anger/ego issues. Sure did clean himself up good for the jury.

After the controversy over allowing Warmus to present his own 3-D presentation of the crime in court, Judge Gaul agreed to let the jury visit the crime scene:

From ABJ Twitter feed:

Judge calls lawyers to side bar. Going over jury trip to parking lot via bus. They will enter E. 9th entrance and just observe scene.

Judge said he prefers no jury view. But allowing visit at behest of defense.

If judge doesn't want the jury to view the crime scene, why did he allow it? Who is running the trial, the judge or the defense?

No court reporter will be there with jury. Judge will tell them nothing once there. Pyle says view is needed because of 3D video dispute.

Pros. Cleary wants jury to be dropped off and just let them "wonder around." Then return to court.

Pros. Brockler announces the state is resting its case. Gaul telling jurors of bus ride to parking lot. They should note distances, entrance

About an hour later or so later

Jury is not in courtroom. They have been sent home after jury view. Prosecutors ticked; tell me Warmus acted out shooting during jury view.

Warmus will run 3D images from laptop while on the witness stand. State objecting at this unusual request. Gaul says he will monitor.

Judge Gaul objected to use of the 3D images during prosecution phase of the trial, but allowed them anyway and he's still going to allow it during defense? He says he's not happy with it but will let them do it anyway?

Seems odd that the prosecution is objecting to Warmus doing his own 3D version of the story and letting jurors go to the crime scene, Gaul agrees, but is letting defense do it anyway. Again, it almost seems as though the defense is controlling the trial.

I'm beginning to think, if this continues, Warmus may get off or at least end up with a mistrial or hung jury.

In the meantime, Plain Dealer is leaking info that the FBI is investigating the county coroner's office over possible hiring irregularities.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/10/fbi_investigating_hiring_of_pa.html

Earlier in the week the PD went to the trouble of bringing this up in an editorial, linking it to the Warmus trial

http://www.cleveland.com/opinion/index.ssf/2010/10/suspicions_of_corruption_raise.html

Hiring practices have nothing to do with the coroner's testimony, but it almost seems as though the PD is fanning the flames on behalf of Warmus' defense. Warmus' father really must have friends in high places.

Wow I think your right Betty. Money talks and if this boy gets off, daddy may need to be making lots more of it cause he is going to need it, so he can keep bailing him out.

Doctor from Cleveland Clinic is on the stand talking about effects of THC. Autopsy on Williams showed he had smoked pot hours before, but no alcohol present. Only THC, nicotine and caffeine.

http://twitter.com/PhilTrexler?gser

Judge Gaul has told defense they can only speak in general terms of THC effects, nothing specific to Williams. Expecting a good cross from prosecution, they're pretty meticulous about these things.

Yes, its tragic, a senseless death. According to testimony today, of the 5 witnesses called to the stand, including one retired FBI agent, none of them saw Williams pull a gun on Warmus. Williams was walking away from him, all Warmus had to do was get in his car and leave or pay the $10 and go to the game. His dad is a millionaire, he could certainly afford it.

IMHO, it was more than male ego, racism may have also been involved.

above BBM
I don't understand how racism could have been involved -- both guys are white. (Sorry Julie! Didn't see your post in time!)

My husband works near there and when we talked about the price for parking (stated it was $10, but the attendant was charging $20), I said, "That's not right -- not that the guy deserved to get shot, but it's not right to charge double the price of what is posted at the lot," and my husband said that that happens all the time -- $10 is a regular parking price, $20 is usually charged for "special events" which this was, but they just forgot to change the sign. He said it happens all the time.

above BBM
I don't understand how racism could have been involved -- both guys are white. (Sorry Julie! Didn't see your post in time!)

My husband works near there and when we talked about the price for parking (stated it was $10, but the attendant was charging $20), I said, "That's not right -- not that the guy deserved to get shot, but it's not right to charge double the price of what is posted at the lot," and my husband said that that happens all the time -- $10 is a regular parking price, $20 is usually charged for "special events" which this was, but they just forgot to change the sign. He said it happens all the time.

Williams was bi-racial, IIRC. There was some talk of that being an issue, but after investigation it appears it was motivated by Warmus injured pride at being confronted over the parking space. Prosecution thinks he has issues w/ narcissism and was angered when Williams put him in a headlock in front of his date.

Warmus is claiming self-defense, yet he didn't mention that when arrested.

Defense now claiming the 5 witnesses who claim Williams did not pull his gun had bad memories. Problem is, one of those witnesses is a retired FBI agent who is trained to recall events.

Betty, do you know where you read or saw that Williams is bi-racial? I haven't been able to find anything to support that. I've seen pictures of him with his son (not sure if it's his biological son or stepson, or perhaps his girlfriend's child -not sure if he was married to her or not) and that child could be bi-racial, but I wouldn't say that about Williams if all I had to go on was his appearance.

Betty, do you know where you read or saw that Williams is bi-racial? I haven't been able to find anything to support that. I've seen pictures of him with his son (not sure if it's his biological son or stepson, or perhaps his girlfriend's child -not sure if he was married to her or not) and that child could be bi-racial, but I wouldn't say that about Williams if all I had to go on was his appearance.

IIRC, the Plain Dealer may have mentioned his father was AA early in their reporting. The father has since passed away, due to a heart attack or stroke resulting from stress after his son's death. Either way, it doesn't seem to be relevant at this point. It may have been a matter of pride between rich kid vs. lower class parking attendant embarrassing him in front of his girlfriend. MOO. Prosecution has mentioned narcissistic personality.

Back to Warmus trial, prosecution on cross was able to get expert defense witness to acknowledge Warmus may have changed his story that he fired in self defense. Warmus' memories may also be affected by high stakes or financial investment.

There is some concern that 2 jurors have been dismissed, one pregnant, the other due to family illness. There are no more alternates left in the jury pool. Hopefully the defense will rest its case today, but they still have 4 or 5 people to call to the stand today.

http://twitter.com/PhilTrexler?gser

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back