IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
CR was on the no trespass list to begin with too.

Exactly. Why would he stick around? If LS still wanted to hang out with him, there would be no reason why, after an altercation, they would continue to her apartment and hang out. Maybe the boys knew he was on the no trespass list and threatened to call security. I just can't see why he would stay for any reason.

As for LS leaving with him, she was intoxicated. She wasn't ready for her night to end. Yes, she probably should have called it a night, but I don't see why CR would have been in the state of mind to say, "Hey, LS - you should really get some sleep." He was partying too and not in a sober state.

Also - why assume CR was just dropping her off? They were probably intending to continue hanging out. It doesn't even have to be that she wanted to hook up with him. People keep forgetting that CR and LS were friends. Friends typically want to be around each other when they're out partying, regardless of intentions or drama. They don't always have plans to hang out here or there; sometimes they want to go home and then change their minds. Nights like this one usually have very little planning to them.

In rereading TR's question, I assumed sleep with meant sex, but now I think TR may have just meant why didn't she stay with CR in his bed, sex or not. Sorry if I was a pervert for assuming sleep with meant sex-the date rape/sex theories that have been circulating recently have gotten to me.
As for why Lauren wouldn't stay with him after getting to his place...well, that would be sort of boring if she is still awake and he is passed out. I imagine he was crashing on the walk over, she made sure he was in bed, spoke to MB for a few minutes, saw MB was being boring too by writing papers, she was having a good night except for those idiots back at Smallwood, hey I wonder what JR is doing??

That story has never seemed illogical to me. Rather, it seems like a normal trajectory for a young girl having a fun party night at the end of a semester before starting a big internship. The story always starts seeming more muddled to me once she leaves MB and goes to JR's.

Of course, new rumors have made me put a more critical light on CR/MB, but who knows? I wish we could at least get a confirmation of what the fight was about. It went from "JW's friends attack CR for being inappropriate with Lauren" to "Maybe CR is gay" to "CR and ZO were having some sort of fight over drugs or finances" to "LS and ZO were having some sort of fight over drugs or drug finances"

I don't think we have ever gotten any real confirmation which one is true, right? Just likelihoods and rumors?

I think if that were true, the parents would be moving heaven and earth to get the funds to support a private search if necessary.

This would also prevent the Haters in the community from going ballistic.

The scenario as I believe it is that when LS and CR arrived to Smallwood, all heck broke loose between CR and a group of people.

My impression is slightly different. I think LS and CR encountered a group that sought to keep LS at SW, whether concerned about her substance use, CR's attention to her, or some sort of rivalry. But only one of the group punched CR, and that may not have been because of the situation itself, but maybe something he said or did in the course of a conversation/argument/attention to LS, so I'm not sure heck breaking loose is necessarily an accurate description.

This is somewhat off topic, and not new, but I found it interesting in light of possible scenarios with LS. Note who the lawyer is on the case BTW.

http://idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=81947

Have you seen the lawyer's biography?

"-2005 to 2006, Felony Narcotics Deputy and Director of the South Central Narcotics Strike Force (multi-jurisdictional task force)
-2006 to 2009, Supervising Felony Deputy for Major Felonies
-prosecuted over 700 felony cases

I have done jury trials for felony offenses including, dealing in cocaine, dealing in meth, dealing in heroin, robbery, burglary, serious violent felon in possession of a handgun, rape, criminal deviate conduct, handgun violations, resisting law enforcement, attempted murder and murder."

In light of this, I've wondered how much of a "defense" attorney he may be.

Have you seen the lawyer's biography?

"-2005 to 2006, Felony Narcotics Deputy and Director of the South Central Narcotics Strike Force (multi-jurisdictional task force)
-2006 to 2009, Supervising Felony Deputy for Major Felonies
-prosecuted over 700 felony cases

I have done jury trials for felony offenses including, dealing in cocaine, dealing in meth, dealing in heroin, robbery, burglary, serious violent felon in possession of a handgun, rape, criminal deviate conduct, handgun violations, resisting law enforcement, attempted murder and murder."

In light of this, I've wondered how much of a "defense" attorney he may be.

We are trained to be advocates for our clients, not push a certain agenda. Speculating as to the type of work an attorney has done in the past should not be used to conclude anything. I feel like this board jumps to a lot of conclusions about attorneys without really knowing much about the profession outside of tv dramas and highly publicized criminal cases. I apologize if I come off as condescending.

We are trained to be advocates for our clients, not push a certain agenda. Speculating as to the type of work an attorney has done in the past should not be used to conclude anything. I feel like this board jumps to a lot of conclusions about attorneys without really knowing much about the profession outside of tv dramas and highly publicized criminal cases. I apologize if I come off as condescending.

I understand this, thanks. It's entirely possible he was just an easily-available guy, like CR's lawyer was.

However, I do think it's not impossible that his background might reflect what JW (and the S's?) thinks might have happened.

Haha - I apologize if it seemed like I was jumping on you. I've just been reading the threads on these boards for a while and your comment was the one I happened to say something about. I obviously can't tell you what to post. :) Just wanted to say that some of the suspicion people have about lawyers is unwarranted and not really educated.

I understand this, thanks. It's entirely possible he was just an easily-available guy, like CR's lawyer was.

However, I do think it's not impossible that his background might reflect what JW (and the S's?) thinks might have happened.

There is no indication that JW ever met LS that night. So I don't see why he would be needing that kind of defense.

True... but cadaver dogs wouldn't have missed her.
They would if she wasn't dead yet. Let's say she was at JR's and passed out. Breathing was shallow. Barely detected pulse. I doubt many of these boys have even taken a pulse before.....if it's really light, they could have missed it all together. She could have been wrapped up, not thinking she was dead, and taken away and left to die (though they may have thought she was already dead/OD'd). Cadaver dogs may not have hit b/c there wasn't a dead body (yet).

and isn't it true that many times an attorney will go from being a prosecutor (on the state's payroll) to a defense attorney who can charge a LOT more $$ for a difficult/challenging defense?

I would think that this attorney's experience as a prosecutor would be good for his defendant's case.

They would if she wasn't dead yet. Let's say she was at JR's and passed out. Breathing was shallow. Barely detected pulse. I doubt many of these boys have even taken a pulse before.....if it's really light, they could have missed it all together. She could have been wrapped up, not thinking she was dead, and taken away and left to die (though they may have thought she was already dead/OD'd). Cadaver dogs may not have hit b/c there wasn't a dead body (yet).

I was referring to the transfer station, I think, when I referenced the cadaver dogs

There is no indication that JW ever met LS that night. So I don't see why he would be needing that kind of defense.

Any litigation that has to do with JW is likely going to place him in the defendant position. So you would obviously choose an attorney who has experience defending. The fact that an attorney has litigated felonies is irrelevant.

What litigation could possibly take place with JW if he didn't see her that night at all?

What litigation could possibly take place with JW if he didn't see her that night at all?

Doesn't matter, his GF is missing, he needs an attorney.

I was referring to the transfer station, I think, when I referenced the cadaver dogs

Oh sorry, I thought you were referring to one of the apartments. I wonder how deeply a cadaver dog can "hit". If she was buried under a mound of thickly packed garbage, I wonder if they could still detect her....

and isn't it true that many times an attorney will go from being a prosecutor (on the state's payroll) to a defense attorney who can charge a LOT more $$ for a difficult/challenging defense?

I would think that this attorney's experience as a prosecutor would be good for his defendant's case.

I'm sure it happens. I think one of my professors did it. But I wouldn't go as far as to say "many times," and it may have very little to do with money at all. Many attorneys decide they want to do different things at different points in their careers. Luckily it's a field where there are tons of different opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46