Found Deceased MI - Venus Stewart, 32, Colon, 28 April 2010 - # 4 *D. Stewart guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to me that after reading the comments suggesting....
he didn't have the truck
alibis don't ever fall through
LE has no idea who has/had possession of the truck etc etc

The insinuation is that Venus' dad is the perp, had the truck, stages the scene with his daughter's slipper prints, churned up the mud, put the tracks of the tire where they could be found, drove the car(s) back to VA, and somehow got back to MI to bury his daughter, collect on her will, and stash the kids where Doug can't find them. This reminds me of another case where a case was made against a mom being the murderer by construing the evidence to make it fit the theory at the time.

This theory seems to be a complete dismissal of LE and their ability to solve a crime. I suppose if I put on defense attorney's hat, I could make a case against her dad and exonerate hubby, discuss the incompetentcies of LE, the brilliance of her dad to pull such a crime off, but at this point in the investigation, Venus' dad is not a suspect or a POI and I'm sure he and mom were interviewed and the house was searched at the time the crime was reported. If there was any evidence that Venus' dad had possession of the truck, had scratches or bruises on his body, there would have been an intense investigation. LE is more thorough than that. I do have trust in them. MOO

My opinion is...LE knows who is on the tape at Walmart buying the stuff. They are just trying to figure out if it's an accomplice of DS or an accomplice of someone who is framing DS, (and it could be anyone. But IMO if DS was on the tape, I think he'd be arrested by now, considering they had the receipt on the 5th. MSP knows what's up...

What scares me about this case is that there are so many people who don't understand domestic violence. I realize that there are cases where someone claims he or she was abused and it's not true but I think in the majority of cases, abuse is real. Unless you have been abused or know someone who was abused, you don't get it. Domestic violence is a very real problem and I would hope we've got past blaming the victim. If not, that is very sad. Even if DS is innocent of domestic violence, which I doubt, just the fact that people in this day and age have no clue is scary.

I've never been abused but have followed several cases of abuse. I agree with the posters who say this is textbook.

We can all agree that this was a very volatile relationship. I'm sure neither were perfect angels.

But, in this case, one tried to get out. She left and went home to her family.
Now, she's missing.

So, IMO, it does not take much stretch of the imagination to believe DS wanted revenge for her leaving. He no longer had control over her. He is the POI in her abduction.

So, IMO, what was done to whom by whom before this happened does not matter in the least. She is missing, he's the POI.

We've been reminded several times that MSP are very professional and very thourough.(sp?)

BBM

Yes Eyes, we sleuthed that case together and it was torture the way the family was always blamed for everything.

I hope this case can stay on track and be friendly to the victim and her family.

JMO

Why do I keep getting multiple quotes when I use the quote button - it's annoying.

Yes Kimberly, we did sleuth that case together, and the people who made a case against mom and ignored LE were completely wrong, on every point. Ignoring common sense hurts the victim and the victim's family.

In this case, seems there is a lack of sensitivity and/or knowledge of the horrific results that are well documented in domestic violence. Without that dimension, I can see where making a case against Venus' dad might be appropriate but, the behavior of Doug is well documented and should NOT be ignored as the motive for her disappearance. MOO

The local news here in MI reported tonight that during the search today a few items of interest were found. They don't know if ANY of them have anything to do with Venus disappearance, but they are investigating. A few items found: some cleaning solvent, tennis shoes, 1 croc type slipper, hair, and some TARP STRING. Not sure if any of this is connected, but those are some items found.

The local news here in MI reported tonight that during the search today a few items of interest were found. They don't know if ANY of them have anything to do with Venus disappearance, but they are investigating. A few items found: some cleaning solvent, tennis shoes, 1 croc type slipper, hair, and some TARP STRING. Not sure if any of this is connected, but those are some items found.

Sure do appreciate the updates!

Marinemom thankyou so much for the updates (((hugs))) it has been so quiet today...

Well it sounds like stuff that could def. be connected to this case, where were they searching today again ? tia

Sure do appreciate the updates!

There was probably more, but I'm not so sure if they will report EVERYTHING they actually find? I flip from station to station to hear these updates, so sometimes I miss parts, when I click into an update already in progress. :(

Well it sounds like stuff that could def. be connected to this case, where were they searching today again ? tia

I'm not exactly sure of the location. They had over 100 people and they distributed them all over the place around the Colon area, and the residence where she went missing. They only mentioned they combed through lots of tall grass, mossy wet areas and dirt roads. I'm not sure if any of the items were even found near each other....they didn't say.

I'm not exactly sure of the location. They had over 100 people and they distributed them all over the place around the Colon area, and the residence where she went missing. They only mentioned they combed through lots of tall grass, mossy wet areas and dirt roads. I'm not sure if any of the items were even found near each other....they didn't say.

Thank you. I found this article where they said they would be searching :

SNIPPED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Denny Olson, a former leader in Michigan for the citizen-safety organization Guardian Angels, said the search will begin at 9 a.m. at a park on West Colon Road near Sturgeon Lake.

Volunteers will search from Colon north to Leonidas and Fulton and as far east as Interstate 69, he said.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/05/organizer_of_search_friday_for.html

I am not familar with the area at all but it sure sounds like alot of ground to cover.

Who is Douglas Stewart?
Another neighbor was so frightening of Doug, she declined to talk on camera. Scott too said she was leery of Doug, and didn't want her three children near him.

"We were a little uncomfortable around that, so we did tell our kids, 'stay away from that side of the neighborhood' and 'if you're going to be around them, just come and get mom or dad,' " Scott said.​

Denny Olson, a former leader in Michigan for the citizen-safety organization Guardian Angels, said the search will begin at 9 a.m. at a park on West Colon Road near Sturgeon Lake.

Volunteers will search from Colon north to Leonidas and Fulton and as far east as Interstate 69, he said.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/05/organizer_of_search_friday_for.html

I am not familar with the area at all but it sure sounds like alot of ground to cover.

It is quite a large distance - over 30 miles!! So, that is alot of ground to cover on foot. That is why the MSP can't cover it all, and some independent search groups have called in volunteers to help with the ground search.

Here's the search area--I made a map from the description given by Mr. Olson.

Attachments

• Search.JPG
    Search.JPG
    326.3 KB · Views: 15
Since it's being brought up by more than one poster, I will address this. I did think Diena Thompson was guilty, and I was wrong. I am often wrong. I am sorry, Diena, if you happen to read this. Somer was a beautiful child and we all grieve her passing.
I do not feel Larry hurt his daughter at all. I was trying to show other scenarios, etc, and went about it the wrong way. Again, I am sorry. I do have hope that Venus is still alive. If she is not, then I hope the guilty party pays dearly and that she is found without delay. I hope all the evidence and possible suspects are looked at closely, without emotion and that justice comes swiftly.

Seems to me that after reading the comments suggesting....
he didn't have the truck
alibis don't ever fall through
LE has no idea who has/had possession of the truck etc etchttp://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/smilies/woohoo.gif

The insinuation is that Venus' dad is the perp, had the truck, stages the scene with his daughter's slipper prints, churned up the mud, put the tracks of the tire where they could be found, drove the car(s) back to VA, and somehow got back to MI to bury his daughter, collect on her will, and stash the kids where Doug can't find them. This reminds me of another case where a case was made against a mom being the murderer by construing the evidence to make it fit the theory at the time.

This theory seems to be a complete dismissal of LE and their ability to solve a crime. I suppose if I put on defense attorney's hat, I could make a case against her dad and exonerate hubby, discuss the incompetentcies of LE, the brilliance of her dad to pull such a crime off, but at this point in the investigation, Venus' dad is not a suspect or a POI and I'm sure he and mom were interviewed and the house was searched at the time the crime was reported. If there was any evidence that Venus' dad had possession of the truck, had scratches or bruises on his body, there would have been an intense investigation. LE is more thorough than that. I do have trust in them. MOO

ETA: Oh, I forgot something - Venus' dad also went out, bought a tarp, threw it out but left the wrapper in the yard, hid the receipt on the floor of the truck, drove it back to Virginia all without a single person noticing anything unusual. What a guy!

And did ALL that between 6AM, when Therese went to work, and 8:30AM, when Venus was reported missing. Whoa...talented guy!

Why didn't Venus Stewart petition the courts in Virginia for custody? Instead, she leaves Virginia without telling Douglas and takes the children with her. The courts really frown upon that because it is sort of like parental kidnapping, taking children out of state without the permission of the other parent, but that is pretty much a moot point now that she has disappeared.

Then when she gets to Virginia she does a hasty will--basically getting her affairs in order after she wins temporary custody from the family court judge in Michigan.

There is no doubt in my mind that she was cutting Douglas loose, and she planned it well in advance. Taking the kids to her mom's house in Michigan gave her the physical address she needed to petition the court for custody. By doing that it would be very tough for Douglas to defend against it.

To help lock down custody all she did was say he was molesting the children, which is really common for women to say such things in divorce proceedings because custody of the children is the number one goal because of child support and state assistance.

This is an interesting case because it does reflect the social atmosphere of many American marriages. Most folks work things out or use the process to sort it out, but every so often you get cases like this one where one parent will take the kids and move them out of state in a winner take all mindset.

Now, knowing she did the custody process and her will, is it possible that she disappeared on purpose? There are groups of women out there who help abused women disappear when they think they are in danger. I am not saying there is no possibility that Douglas did harm her, but frankly, I can't find any documentation proving that Douglas ever did harm her, and also no documentation which proves he molested his children.

It may just be nothing, but it appears like Venus was putting all the legal things in order, and then she just disappeared without a trace. That is very unusual to say the least, but the media is quick to blame the husband for it right away without looking at the facts and asking these types of questions.

I am originally from Wisconsin and was in eerily similar circumstances to Venus.

- Prior to any custody orders from the courts, BOTH parents assume joint custody, meaning at any time a parent can withdraw the child from the state in which they reside - they do not require the other parent's permission. Venus did nothing illegal by returning to Michigan and therefore, I am doubtful any judge would have held it against her. However...

If Doug was against her relocating he would have been within his rights to file a motion seeking an injunction.

- If they were married in Michigan, and the children were born in Michigan, it would only make sense that MI would be the 'home' state for custodial issues.
While VA could have heard custodial/divorce matters it would have made for a more convoluted issue.

- Temporary custody is just what an implies. It is most often granted to primary caretakers until an investigation can be concluded over the best permanent situation for the children involved.

- Though in this situation it does not apply, most states have a relocation clause worked into their family law statutes. In WI, the custodial parent must inform the courts and the non custodial parent, in writing, 60 days prior to moving the children more than 150 miles. The NCP can then object to the relocation, a hearing is held to appoint a GAL (guardian ad litem), and an investigation is launched as to the best placement for the children.

Some other, non legal, observations:

Elsewhere in this thread it was stated that this is 'textbook' and I concur. While my ex was always verbally and psychologically abusive it was not until I left the relationship that he truly waged war. When an abuser senses they are losing control often their attempts to regain it are amped up to a level not seen before.

I know much has been made in earlier threads about Venus being charged with assault...but I remember a few times in my marriage where I was the one screaming and name calling. :blushing: I'm not normally like that but there was such an indescribable frustration being in a situation you don't know how to fix.

I had no assets or property but have had a will since having children to spell out my wishes for guardianship should anything happen to me.

Just some thoughts I wanted to share.

Odd case. First glace it appears to be a simple case of an estranged husband abducting/etc his estranged wife. But then you run into facts like the husband lives across the country and has an alibi placing him in Virginia when the crime was being committed in Michigan.

Then there's the trail of breadcrumbs evidence: a receipt for a tarp and other items AND the packaging from the tarp ends up at the location the victim is abducted from. On the one hand, yeah, simple: the perp bought the tarp, left the receipt in the vehicle and also negligently left the tarp packaging at the crime scene.

On the other hand, it does create a nexus between the husband and the crime scene--and pretty much the only solid non-circumstantial evidence currently connecting the husband to the crime scene.

Oh, and the vehicle in which the receipt was found is not titled to the husband but to the estranged wife (who likely had spare keys).

And then the vehicle isn't found when the police first conduct a search
but then the police search again a few days later and discover the vehicle parked on a street nearby.

Were the police running regular searches for the vehicle or were they tipped off to go and look for it again a few days later? And, if the latter, who provided the tip and when did they provide it?

And it turns out that the missing woman was so violent toward the husband that she had been arrested and charged with domestic violence. And the husband had asked for and rec'd multiple personal protection orders against her. And the husband, not the wife, was the first to file for divorce:

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/margin-1376536-bottom-page.html

very odd case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members