IL IL - Maria Ridulph, 7, Sycamore, 3 Dec 1957

i wonder how long after he killed poor Maria did he leave Sycamore? Its interesting that the former girlfriend from decades ago reported the unused ticket. Does this mean that she always suspected he was responsible for the child's murder?

Hospitalization delays court hearing for Seattle man accused in 1957 Sycamore slaying

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...laying-maria-ridulph-20110702,0,7355524.story

July 2, 2011

...At a brief hearing today, King County District Court Judge Eileen Kato said she found “probable cause” to detain McCullough without bail, and rescheduled another bail hearing for Monday.

The judge said McCullough, who did not attend the hearing, was at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. His illness was not disclosed.

Man charged in 1957 Sycamore slaying had history of abuse: police

http://www.suntimes.com/6299675-417...more-slaying-had-history-of-abuse-police.html

A man accused of killing a 7-year-old Sycamore girl in a case that made national news in 1957 has a long, troubled history of sexually abusing his relatives and others, court documents related to the murder of Maria Ridulph alleged...

(Much more information in the article about his background, the girlfriend, and what led up to the arrest.)

Man charged in 1957 Sycamore slaying had history of abuse: police

http://www.suntimes.com/6299675-417...more-slaying-had-history-of-abuse-police.html

A man accused of killing a 7-year-old Sycamore girl in a case that made national news in 1957 has a long, troubled history of sexually abusing his relatives and others, court documents related to the murder of Maria Ridulph alleged...

(Much more information in the article about his background, the girlfriend, and what led up to the arrest.)

How sad that it took so long to get this guy. I think most of us have been certain there were other victims since the story broke. I just hope he didn't murder any others.

I'm not really confident that will be the case, though.

Another article, or regurgitation of articles:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/02/seattle-man-charged-in-19_n_889289.html

McCullough's arrest drew elation from Kathy Chapman, the 8-year-old girl Maria played with the night she vanished. Now a grandmother, Chapman told the Chicago Tribune that last year investigators showed her a photo of McCullough as a teenager in a photo lineup, and Chapman identified him as a young man from her Sycamore neighborhood who offered a piggyback ride to her and Maria as the two girls played under a corner streetlight. She knew him as "Johnny."

2v1su83.jpg

A Seattle-area judge ordered Jack Daniel McCullough to be held Saturday pending a bail hearing after he was arrested by authorities in connection with the 1957 kidnapping and murder of an Illinois girl.

McCullough, 71, was living under an assumed name at a retirement community in Washington.

More at link:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/07/02/washington.cold.case.arrest/index.html?hpt=us_c2

Police: Train ticket helps crack 1957 Ill. killing
By BARBARA RODRIGUEZ Associated Press The Associated Press
Saturday, July 2, 2011 4:48 PM EDT

SYCAMORE, Ill. (AP) — Charles "Chuck" Ridulph always assumed the person who stole his little sister from the neighborhood corner where she played and dumped her body in a wooded stretch some 100 miles away was a trucker or passing stranger — surely not anyone from the hometown he remembers as one big, friendly playground.

And, after more than a half century passed since her death, he assumed the culprit also had died or was in prison for some other crime.

On Saturday, he said he was stunned by the news that a one-time neighbor had been charged in the kidnapping and killing that captured national attention, including that of the president and FBI chief. Prosecutors in bucolic Sycamore, a city of 15,000 that's home to a yearly pumpkin festival, charged a former police officer Friday in the 1957 abduction of 7-year-old Maria Ridulph after an ex-girlfriend's discovery of an unused train ticket blew a hole in his alibi.

Jack Daniel McCullough, 71, has been held in Seattle on $3 million bail. A judge overseeing a Saturday court appearance for him said he had been taken to a regional trauma center but did not elaborate. She rescheduled his bail hearing for 12:30 p.m. Monday.

http://www.myqwest.com/news/read.php?rip_id=<D9O7KP0G0@news.ap.org>&ps=1011

Jack Daniel McCullough, 71, has been held in Seattle on $3 million bail. A judge overseeing a Saturday court appearance for him said he had been taken to a regional trauma center but did not elaborate. She rescheduled his bail hearing for 12:30 p.m. Monday.

Suicide attempt??

Seattle Man Charged In 1957 Murder Of 7-Year-Old Maria Ridulph

SEATTLE — An unused, unstamped train ticket helped lead to charges against a Seattle man in the abduction and killing of a 7-year-old Illinois girl in 1957.

Prosecutors in northern Illinois' DeKalb County charged Jack Daniel McCullough, 71, on Friday with murdering Maria Ridulph, who was last seen playing with a friend near her home in Sycamore, about 50 miles west of Chicago. Mushroom hunters found Maria's remains five months later in a wooded area about 100 miles from her hometown.

McCullough claimed he took the train from Rockford, Ill., to Chicago the day of the abduction. But The Seattle Times, citing a probable-cause statement filed in court, reported Saturday that a woman who dated McCullough at the time found, while searching through personal items last year at the request of investigators, an unused, unstamped train ticket from Rockford to Chicago dated the day the girl went missing.

It's unclear whether McCullough has an attorney. He remains jailed in Seattle on $3 million bond and was scheduled for a court appearance there Saturday.

McCullough's arrest drew elation from Kathy Chapman, the 8-year-old girl Maria played with the night she vanished. Now a grandmother, Chapman told the Chicago Tribune that last year investigators showed her a photo of McCullough as a teenager in a photo lineup, and Chapman identified him as a young man from her Sycamore neighborhood who offered a piggyback ride to her and Maria as the two girls played under a corner streetlight. She knew him as "Johnny."

Chapman, who lives near Chicago in St. Charles, Ill., said she ran home and never saw Maria again.

McCullough's arrest "puts a lot of things to rest now. I'm so happy for the family," Chapman told the Tribune. "And nobody gave up on it. That's the good thing about it."

The search for Maria in December 1957 grew to involve more than 1,000 law enforcers and numerous other community members, ultimately catching the attention of President Dwight D. Eisenhower and FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover, who requested daily updates, DeKalb County State's Attorney Clay Campbell said in a written statement Friday.

Two people foraging for mushrooms in Jo Davies County, in Illinois' northwest corner, found the girl's remains on April 26, 1958.

Officials said McCullough, who was 18 and named John Tessier at the time of Maria's disappearance, was an initial suspect but had an alibi.

Last year, police re-interviewed a woman who dated McCullough in 1957 and asked her to look for pictures and other items of their time together, the Seattle newspaper reported, citing the court documents filed this week.

That's when she found the unused, unstamped train ticket from Rockford to Chicago, poking holes in McCullough's alibi. He was picked up for questioning Wednesday night, Sycamore Police Chief Donald Thomas said.

"He had been a very good suspect in the beginning. He lived about a block and half away from the victim, he fit the description and his clothes matched, but he had an alibi that he was someplace else," Thomas said. "Once his alibi crumbled, we found about a dozen other facts that helped us build our case."

According to the court documents obtained by the Times, investigators determined a collect phone call McCullough purportedly made to his ex-girlfriend from Chicago actually came from his Sycamore home the day Maria vanished – and he gave a ride to a relative when he should have been on the train.

"This crime has haunted Sycamore for half a century. We hope that the family of Maria Ridulph and this community can find some solace and closure with this arrest," Campbell said Friday.

Charles Ridulph, Maria's brother, told the Chicago Sun-Times his family is in shock over the arrest of a suspect in his sister's death.

"For all these years, my assumption was that he was dead – that he would have been dead – otherwise something would have come up before this time," said Ridulph, 65. That the suspect is someone the family knew from the neighborhood "is just an added shock," he said.

Ridulph said his parents have died and the arrest stoked old anger.

"They talk about closure, which there is never such a thing," he said. "It was pretty well closed for us, and now it's all open again. My daughter said to me when I told her (about the arrest), she said it's too bad my parents aren't alive. I said, `Thank God they weren't alive for this day.'"

Link - "Prosecutors in bucolic Sycamore, a city of 15,000 that's home to a yearly pumpkin festival, charged a former police officer Friday in the 1957 abduction of 7-year-old Maria Ridulph after an ex-girlfriend's discovery of an unused train ticket blew a hole in his alibi."

Amazing to have a cold case of this many years solved!

Such an interesting case. Thank God it's finally solved for those left behind to grieve.

I wonder if he has ties to La Crosse, WI (Evelyn Hartley, kidnapped in 1953)

He says today in the news he didn't do it, and I believe that's very possible.

FIRST, Maria was last seen playing in the yard of the Cliffe home. Mrs. Cliffe stated to a reporter that Maria and Cathi were "screaming" and chasing each other around the trunk of a large tree in the Cliffe front yard. So last person to see Maria, and last place for Maria to be: The Cliffe yard.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back