2011.06.23 Sidebar Thread (Trial Day Twenty-six)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think all the planets were in alignment for Caylee when this Motley Crew came together. You would have to search far and wide in order to assemble a more ineffective bunch of Attorneys than Baez Mason and Simms.

Remember this motley crew? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9OO0S5w2k"]YouTube - ‪YMCA‬‏[/ame]

Yuri Melich honors Caylee Anthony

This witness is highly accredited. If I were on the jury, I would be upset with the multiple objections and sidebars. I would want to know what this expert had to say.

Obviously, the witness is an expert. Obviously the DT wants his testimony. Obviously the PT does not. As a juror, that must determine the guilt of the defendant, I would want as much information from the experts as possible to help me make my decision. Since the beginning of the DT's CIC, JA has had numerous objections, and called for numerous sidebars. At some point as a juror I am going to begin to think the state has something to hide.

As always, my entire post is my opinion only.

I'm not an attorney but I believe that is why Frye hearings were/are held. The court ruled this witness would only be allowed to testify about his area of expertise.

We can't have an electrician testify about a plumbing issue even if the person has knowledge of plumbing(as an example). Hope that made sense.

here's a pic of the real live pizza that comes to my door every Friday - in Chicagoland - 'cept when we go all crazy and order deep dish. Crappy cell phone pic, but I take these and send them to my sisters in TX (who are native Chicagolanders)

Attachments

• 097.jpg
    097.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 48
This witness is highly accredited. If I were on the jury, I would be upset with the multiple objections and sidebars. I would want to know what this expert had to say.

Obviously, the witness is an expert. Obviously the DT wants his testimony. Obviously the PT does not. As a juror, that must determine the guilt of the defendant, I would want as much information from the experts as possible to help me make my decision. Since the beginning of the DT's CIC, JA has had numerous objections, and called for numerous sidebars. At some point as a juror I am going to begin to think the state has something to hide.

Why would you want to hear their expert testify to things he is not an expert in??

Anyone remember to order my veggie pizza without cheese? :yourock:

Dr Vass works in a research science facility - it is not that there are no protocols or procedures or quality assurance, it is that they aren't the same as if you were in an FBI lab that deals with criminal evidence day in day out. Nevertheless that does not negate the results that Dr Wise or Dr Vass got in their lab.

This "protocol/procedure/bench note" whooha stuff has been going on since LKB got involved in the case but it is her 101, it's her "holy grail" - if you can't attack the results (cos they know damn well that what was on the napkins was adipocere) then attack the method, attack the lab, attack the scientists.

Maybe Joypath could chime in on this as I know next to nothing about it.

:twocents: TOTALLY personal opinion of a person who has ENDURED way too many chemistry classes!:
The concept of procedure & protocols manuals/books ae similar to ANY agency/business that has an SOP. The difference in this field, science per se, is that adding A to B under specific conditions must equal C. The defense team is trying to indicate that research scientists FORGET the basic principles of science A + B = C. Researchers work on varying the conditions and then what happens, create documents with the methodology they used AKA a "protocol" and then publish or SHARE. The "nuts & bolts" day to day laboratory THEN can incorporate the deltas of the researchers into their procedures & protocols AND btw, FOOTNOTE the peer reviewed article into their P&P.
This opinions above are mine, written in haste & FURY over the "amazing" (sarcasm here!) morning session!

BTW: researchers do not "specialize" in contamination, sloppy work, stupidity or distrust of results! They DO spend lots of time DUPLICATING their results to VERIFY!

I remembered a song the other day that reminded me of KC. Rollins Band - Liar. (the video on youtube is a bit, raw, I guess I would call it? But it is punk rockish.) The picture Henry Rollins paints about people like KC is spot on.

Yes!!! Great song!! :rocker:

I remembered a song the other day that reminded me of KC. Rollins Band - Liar. (the video on youtube is a bit, raw, I guess I would call it? But it is punk rockish.) The picture Henry Rollins paints about people like KC is spot on.

:floorlaugh:
Great song!

Do you think the jury felt the defense had something to hide when they continually objected and went to sidebar during the State's case?

The only time I really had a problem with JA's "passion" was during opening statements. As soon as JB opened his mouth JA started objecting. He was like a tiger waiting to pounce. I think after a few well placed kicks under the table though, he calmed down.......:floorlaugh:

Do you think the jury felt the defense had something to hide when they continually objected and went to sidebar during the State's case?

Yes, they probably did. However, most of those objections were overruled, and there were not nearly as many sidebars. IMO

The problem with this testimony is that Dr. Logan is not an expert (and was not accepted as one by the court) on the issue of laboratory qualifications or operations. Or anything except forensic toxicology. Lawyer Sims knew this, but instead of keeping her questions in this area, she continually asked him questions outside of his area of expertise. I mean we all have opinions on these issues, but we are not experts with special knowledge and experience so we could be capable of telling the jury things they could not know on their own. If she did not agree with the court's ruling on his expertise, there are things she could have done. The thing she could not do is just ignore the court and continue on with her questions. The state had no choice but to object. If they didn't, then anyone could get up there and pontificate about their opinion about anything. Then the trial would be nothing but uninformed opinions elicited by incompetent attorneys.

MOO

Wondering if we can ask JB to be reimbursed for our services in this trial.

Dear JB,

We the members of the Webslueths Community, wished to be reimbursed for the following services:

• The endless hours of sleuthing to separate fact from the fiction you call a defense
• The lack of sleep your client has caused us by sucking us into the vortex of this trial
• The costs of rehab we will all need due to taking up smoking, drinking and excessive eating following this trial.
• Medical costs for severe head wounds due to excessive desk banging

We appreciate your prompt attention to this matter.

The Sleuths

Did I miss anything? :)

Dear Deb,

The check is in the mail. :floorlaugh:

Love, Jose

Mmmmm, Malnati's. I ordered it for the Super Bowl Bears vs Colts. I keep waiting for the Cubbies to get to the World Series so I have reason to get it shipped here again. I miss Chicago land pizza so much!

Went to Giordano's in Chicago when I had a few hours between flights--loved it. Went to Uno's way back when. Is that still good?

Do any flat-crust pizza places use the fennel seed Italian sausage anymore?

And since these jurors all seem to be very well educated individuals, I have no doubt at all that they can see this for themselves....

SA has nothing to hide. It is just good ole fashioned, well experienced, well educated lawyering!

JA is objecting to what is obviously Baez' LACK OF EDUCATION regarding the law.....RUles of Law are there for a reason, and ALL court officers are uphold them....

Letting Baez off the hook for having limited knowledge of the law and rules regarding questioning of witnesses does NOT let him off the hook and allow him to just run nilly willy all over the courtroom!

JA is doing what any other officer of the law would do in ANY courtroom when faced with an attorney who has no clue what he is doing, does not have the ability to learn from those who attempt to set them on the right path, and displays an attitude to attempt to cover their lack of experience and knowledge.

:twocents: TOTALLY personal opinion of a person who has ENDURED way too many chemistry classes!:
The concept of procedure & protocols manuals/books ae similar to ANY agency/business that has an SOP. The difference in this field, science per se, is that adding A to B under specific conditions must equal C. The defense team is trying to indicate that research scientists FORGET the basic principles of science A + B = C. Researchers work on varying the conditions and then what happens, create documents with the methodology they used AKA a "protocol" and then publish or SHARE. The "nuts & bolts" day to day laboratory THEN can incorporate the deltas of the researchers into their procedures & protocols AND btw, FOOTNOTE the peer reviewed article into their P&P.
This opinions above are mine, written in haste & FURY over the "amazing" (sarcasm here!) morning session!

BTW: researchers do not "specialize" in contamination, sloppy work, stupidity or distrust of results! They DO spend lots of time DUPLICATING their results to VERIFY!

Thank you Joypath! :)

I actually now remember Dr Vass saying on the stand that all the protocols are in his peer reviewed literature. Booyah!

I have decided that when they continue after lunch, I will pluck out all hairs in my eyebrows until there is only one line of hair...I will then move on to my arm hairs. This would be so much less painful than listening to this ...carp.

Well, according to Dr Spitz you can just use a shortcut and try Duct tape on your arms. I hear it works great.

Went to Giordano's between flights in Chicago--loved it. Went to Uno's way back when--is that still good?

Uno's not so good IMHO anymore, Gino's East is much better ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam