MT MT - John Russell, 24, Helena, 20 June 1974

Tuck

Reaction score
This case does not appear in any databases.

Name -
John Monroe Russell

Last Seen -
06/23/1974

Missing From - Helena, Montana

Age - 24

Race - White

Sex -
Male

Hair Color -
Brown

Eye Color -
Blue

Height -

Weight -

Medical Details -
Clean shaven

Clothing -
Cutoff denim jeans (inscribed with initials J.R), underwear shorts, a paycheck for $120 and brown hiking boots (all clothing found dumped in the Colorado Gulch area).

Circumstance -
The MP met two men and a woman at a restaurant in Helena who were hitchhiking, and offered them a ride to Missoula. Upon reaching the western side of Helena, the two men pulled guns on the MP, removed his clothing and forced him into the trunk of the vehicle. The woman was dropped off in Missoula, and the two men drove away. Shortly afterwards, the men apparently pushed the car (a 1966 Light Blue Ford Comet) into the Clark Fork River, and departed the scene. The vehicle was recovered a week later, with the windows smashed and roof caved in. The MP's belongings (including his wallet and personal papers) were found scattered through a borrow pit near MacDonald Pass.

The MP has never been located. The pleas of the two men changed on various occasions, but at one point it was suggested that he had been locked in the trunk when the vehicle was pushed into the Clark Fork River. However, upon unlocking the trunk, no trace of the MP was found, and the woman accompanying them expressed uncertainty as to the MP's whereabouts. Thorough searches of the river and surrounding land also found no sign of the MP. The guilty pair were charged with aggravated kidnapping.

The MP's family expressed anger at the leniency of the trial, and his parents have both passed away since. However, his sister and two brothers are still alive. As of 2012, his family was still searching for him.

(http://helenair.com/news/crime-and-...cle_60298d4c-6c02-11e1-8ab9-0019bb2963f4.html)

There is a photo of the MP in the Helena High School Class of 1968 Classmates Book, but I am unable to access it.

I’m not seeing him in the ‘68 helena high school yearbook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not seeing him in the ‘68 helena high school yearbook

I've actually made a mistake here, I meant to write Class of 1970. There's a Russell in that one, but I'm not sure if it's the right one.

I've actually made a mistake here, I meant to write Class of 1970. There's a Russell in that one, but I'm not sure if it's the right one.

This is the John Russell from the 1970 yearbook. In the index he is listed as John James Russell.
3d1c442fb3faf335ceec15d3ef551de7.jpg

This is the John Russell from the 1970 yearbook. In the index he is listed as John James Russell.
3d1c442fb3faf335ceec15d3ef551de7.jpg

Thank you so much for finding that and posting it. Unfortunately, I don't think they're the same person. I've never seen the MP referred to as anything but John Monroe Russell (or John M. Russell), and I don't think they are the same person. What I am really hoping for is that a family member sees this thread, and can fill in the blanks with other information.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back