Grand Jury June 25, 2008

SewingDeb

"Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
Reaction score
Grand Jury Convenes
June 25, 2008

Thanks to faw for this link:

ELDORADO - With today's meeting of the Schleicher County grand jury at an end, no indictments have been issued and the panel has agreed to meet again July 22.

Alan Fatrell, the criminal defense attorney for the 16-year-old daughter of Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints leader Warren Jeffs, told reporters earlier in the afternoon that the grand jury would call one more witness before recessing until July 22. However, he said he did not know whether the continuation means the panel will not issue any indictments until that date.

At least six female sect members were called to testify as the grand jury began interviewing witnesses today about sexual abuse allegations at the polygamist sect's nearby compound.

and

Today's grand jury meeting is the first tangible step in the criminal process. A CPS investigation also is ongoing, as are probes by the FBI and a Utah trust.

http://gosanangelo.com/news/2008/jun/25/flds-grand-jury-calls-female-sect-members-to/

Thank you so much for this update...and this new thread.:blowkiss:

Quotes are from your article, Deb:

Schleicher County, which issued 18 unrelated indictments earlier in the month, is taking extraordinary measures for this meeting of the grand jury - blocking media access to the courthouse and keeping all reporters and camerapeople no less than 150 feet away from the nearest entrance.

I guess it will be awhile until we have anything further on this case.

Today's grand jury meeting is the first tangible step in the criminal process. A CPS investigation also is ongoing, as are probes by the FBI and a Utah trust.

All of the information outlined in the threads on this case, (I found mollymalone's links on the Utah trust exceptionally factual and informative), leave me hopeful that the children in this cult will find the justice they deserve.

Are they investigating the cases one by one, since the compound where all of the women and children live packed like sardines with one grand poobah had such a fit about being called out on their pedophilia?

I wish I knew, Truly. I took it that they were taking one case at a time for the criminal charged but I could be wrong since there is so little information about grand jury proceedings.

I don't think this will include all of the children. They are probably only looking at underage pregnancies and who the fathers are.

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700238411,00.html
The court-appointed lawyer for a 16-year-old member of the Fundamentalist LDS Church refused to testify before a grand jury investigating crimes within the polygamous sect.
"I asserted my attorney-client privilege," Natalie Malonis told the Deseret News on Thursday. "Right now, in my eyes, to me you feel like an enemy to me," Jeffs wrote to Malonis. "I hear that you are subpoened (sic) and what do you think I would think of that? I feel like I am trying to be my own attorney right now trying to win against you because you are doing so many things that are not in my best interest." Malonis obtained a restraining order against FLDS member and spokesman Willie Jessop, accusing him of trying to coerce Jeffs into avoiding a grand jury subpoena and interfering in her relationship with her client.

Malonis said it was her obligation to refuse to testify. "The client has to be able to communicate with an attorney and know that those communications are kept confidential," she said. She did worry that by making her e-mails public, Jeffs may be waiving attorney-client privilege. "That's what I'm afraid of," she said. "If that keeps happening, at some point the judge will compel me to testify."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/religion/5855746.html
Attorney Natalie Malonis, appointed by the court to represent the 16-year-old daughter of sect leader Warren Jeffs, arrived with an armed guard.

Malonis -- who's been sparring with sect leaders and who even obtained a restraining order against a spokesman for the group, Willie Jessop -- said she feared for her safety.

Natalie Malonis, attorney for Teresa Jeffs, was accompanied by a security officer as she arrived at the courthouse just after 9 a.m. Wednesday. She said she has received death threats since her dispute with Jeffs became public. A district judge refused Tuesday to hear a motion to disqualify Malonis as the girl's lawyer based on the attorney's competing roles as witness and representative.

http://www.sltrib.com/Polygamy/ci_9685005

But Walther refused, saying the hearing had been called only to consider a temporary restraining order issued on Friday that requires Annette Jeffs to bar contact between her daughter and Willie Jessop, a spokesman for the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Malonis alleges Jessop is behind her client's push for a new attorney. Edwards and attorney Michael Gross also asked Walther to step aside and let another judge preside over the restraining order hearing, arguing that she could not be impartial after claims that Jessop was an "enforcer" for the FLDS church led to increased security at her home. But an acting administrative judge rejected the request as unfounded and untimely, and the hearing resumed before Walther.

Malonis was prepared to present more evidence about why she wants Jeffs's mother to keep the girl away from Jessop, including apparently e-mails they exchanged. But, as urged by Walther, attorneys avoided a hearing by negotiating an agreement that extends a restraining order issued Friday for another 90 days. Afterward, on the courtroom steps, Malonis said: "Life goes on. I'm happy. I'm just exhausted."

ok, this ain't making sense to me, maybe due to lack of sleep, but can someone explain this to me in simpliar terms, why the attorny is refusing to testify, and why she wants a restraining order against willie???

Thanks

and why do they want the attorney taken off the case????

Because her client is 16, she's Warren Jeff's daughter, the Attorney has been receiving death threats, her client has turned against her (under influence) and the Attorney is continuing to proceed in the client's best interests. The Attorney did not want to testify because of attorney client privilege ie..what the girl told her originally I presume..

Malonis has had death threats and we're lead to assume that it's coming from the flds. The restraining order was against Willie Jessop(who's mug we've seen all over tv) because the attorney is saying that he's the one influencing her client by threats etc..

ok, this ain't making sense to me, maybe due to lack of sleep, but can someone explain this to me in simpliar terms, why the attorny is refusing to testify, and why she wants a restraining order against willie???

Thanks

She's essentially trying to protect the attorney client privelege and her client. The grand jury probably wants to ask her if her client, Ms Jeffs, provided info to Ms Malonis that led Ms Malonis to believe that her client, Ms Jeffs, had been sexually abused (just guessing, but perhaps Ms Jeffs and/or Ms Jeffs' mother told Ms Malonis that Ms Jeffs was married at 14 or 15.) It would actually violate the attorney client priveledge for Ms Malonis to disclose this without her client's permission. Ms Malonis probably has reason to believe something her client told her which indicates sexual abuse to her and would probably love to be able to disclose it but she can't. She could actually be disbarred if she did, UNLESS, as someone mentioned above Ms Jeffs gives Ms Malonis an opening to do so by disclosing priveledged conversations herself, which I think she may be doing. Once Ms Jeffs waves the privelege, Ms Malonis might be free to do the same and that could actually, in the end, be the best thing for Ms Jeffs, although she certainly doesn't seem to appreciate it at this time. I admire Ms Malonis. It seems pretty clear she has knowlege that would prove that her representation of Ms Jeffs has been spot on, although she can't disclose that info right now to the grand jury, even though the FLDS is trying to smear her up and down. (An ad litem is the child's representative and supposed to speak in the child's best interests in court matters whether the parents like it or not and, in some cases, whether the children like it or not.) Part of me hopes that the FLDS actually has blown the lid off this thing by yapping about e-mails and other alledged lawyer/client conversations to the point that attorney/client no longer exists and Ms Malonis can tell what she knows. I think that might be very informative, as well as destructive to some in the FLDS.

Once Ms Jeffs went back to her mother, apparently Ms Malonis felt that Ms Jeffs and her mother stopped talking for Ms Jeffs and Willie Jessop began, but not in a way that Ms Malonis felt represented the best interests of Ms Jeffs. Ms Malonis felt threatened by Mr Jessop. (She's not the first to feel that way.) In order to keep him from inserting himself between Ms Jeffs (her client) and herself and because she also felt that Mr Jessop had made threats to her in their conversations, Ms Malonis asked for restraining orders to keep Mr Willie Jessop away from Ms Jeffs and from herself. She also sought a restraining order against another man, who I don't know but am guessing may be Ms Jessop's husband, but that I don't know for sure.

Apparently, according to court pleadings in the hearing for restraining order. Mr Jessop told Ms Malonis that an agreement whereby Ms Jessop would not have access to the YFZ Ranch to her father Warren Jeffs as conditions for being returned to her mother was not acceptable. He wanted no restrictions. Apparently in meetings with Ms Malonis, Mr Jessop stated that she'd be sorry if she didn't accept a position more favorable to the FLDS and that if she wasn't going to take the FLDS's side, the organization would find someone who would. However, guardian ad litems aren't supposed to be advocates for religious organizations to which children belong, they are supposed to advocate for children. Ms Malonis seems to be trying to do that, but the FLDS seems to want a lawyer for Ms Jeffs who will advocate for the FLDS.

Well stated Yolorado! I believe the other man the restraining order is against is the older man that the young 16 year old had been paired with by the FLDS. Since the higher court ruling Jessop and the FLDS seem to believe they can act as they please and even threaten citizens outside of their group.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,5143,700244964,00.html

Jeffs case may hinge on diaries, dictations

By Ben Winslow
Deseret News
Published: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:05 a.m. MDT

Diaries and dictations may be used to build underage marriage cases against Fundamentalist LDS Church leader Warren Jeffs as a grand jury meets today in Eldorado, Texas.
Court documents obtained by the Deseret News focus on three marriages allegedly performed by Jeffs on July 27, 2006, including one in which Jeffs himself is purported to have been "sealed" to a then-12-year-old girl.

"I seek unto the Lord for his Spirit to be with me and guide this record-keeping," Jeffs began a dictation recorded that night.

The document said it was recorded "at the place of refuge R17," which Texas authorities say is another name for the Yearning for Zion Ranch. In the dictation, Jeffs said he had a vision.

"The Lord showed me a quorum of three ladies to assist. I thank the Lord for those gifts and blessings.

I was shown that I should perform three marriage sealings tonight, Brother Wendell's daughter (name redacted,) my daughter Teresa, and also Merril

<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>

You cant believe anything the women say methinks as they will be just too influenced by the men just like the daughter in this case.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the links everyone, this should be interesting.

YES! Thanks for the links yolorado! This is the beginning of the end for these men who have sexually assaulted so many children.
ELDORADO - A Schleicher County grand jury issued indictments today against Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints leader Warren Jeffs and five other sect members, alleging sexual assault, bigamy and related charges.

*snip*
Jeffs was identified because he was served with the indictment in jail. The other four remain unidentified until they are served.
"The indictments issued today are part of an ongoing and continuing criminal investigation," a news release from Attorney General Greg Abbott's office said.
http://gosanangelo.com/news/2008/jul/22/breaking-news-attorney-general-others-file-into/

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_9962290

ELDORADO, Texas -- A Schleicher County grand jury indicted polygamous sect leader Warren S. Jeffs and five other men today on charges related to sexual assaults on underage girls.
The grand jury handed down seven indictments, which contained a total of nine charges. Jeffs, currently awaiting trial in Arizona, is accused of one first-degree felony count of sexually assaulting a child.
Four other men were indicted for allegedly sexually assaulting girls under the age of 17. Each of those suspects faces one felony count of sex assault, and one faces an additional charge of bigamy.
The final defendant has been charged with three counts of failure to report child abuse.

(bolding mine) Good. Hopefully all of the people who allowed children to be handed over to pedophiles will be charged as well.

One charged with failure to report child abuse- possibly the doctor?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back