Children taunt bus monitor and make her cry

Steely, you have a sense of humour? I never noticed! :floorlaugh:

mad2.gif

She didn't report this, that's true, and my guess is had she reported what happened she probably would have lost her job. I would have to think that was top on her mind - you can't keep a job as a disciplinary figure on a bus if you report that you were unable to control the children. Had she taken a stand, taken names and then marched into the principal's office after that shift that would be different - but she didn't take any measures at all during this long episode of miserable behavior by these kids. That's what's at the heart of this, IMHO, she was not in a position to be able to report this story - it would be tantamount to resigning from her job. I don't see it as losing her job "for making waves", but rather, making it clear to her employers that she doesn't have the skills she's hired to have. It's not like a classroom teacher who's hired to teach. She's hired to keep those kids in line, that's her sole job.

There were no children harmed on the bus that day or any other day. All of the grandmothers that I know would have kicked some butt if they saw a child in danger and I do believe this woman would have done the same. We don't know who the parents of these boys are. I heard that this womans income was $15,000 a year. So, do you get where I'm going here.

I dont believe that gitana's response was even slightly angry.

I am always entertained however by posters, and there are many, who choose to polarize a discussion rather than to debate it. Inevitably there will come a post where they will claim they are being misunderstood and that others are over reacting. This is just my experience and an observation.

I dont believe that gitana's response was even slightly angry.

I am always entertained however by posters, and there are many, who choose to polarize a discussion rather than to debate it. Inevitably there will come a post where they will claim they are being misunderstood and that others are over reacting. This is just my experience and an observation.

Fair enough, but I'm always surprised by people who want to debate instead of muse. I'm not trying to debate anything (which, BTW, is the most polarizing thing you can possibly do, IMHO), I'm just wondering aloud. Not trying to convince anyone.

Anyway, hopefully this case has brought to light this situation and caused school districts to have a written plan of discipline for bus behavior and bus monitor duties.

That is pretty stiff-as I said home school those little darlins and spend some quality time.

I wonder, at this point, how many parents of bullied kids, and the bullied kids themselves, are shaking their heads in disbelief. How about treating bullying of children this severely? My own experience with kids, and as a kid, and as a Sunday School teacher of middle schoolers, 10 minutes of verbal harassment and joking and taking the insults a step higher with each laughing verbal insulter, is an every day thing for many kids. For MANY kids.

How many bullied kids in that school district - and throughout the States - are thinking "my kid endures this daily, and no matter how much we complain nothing is ever done".

How many kids (how many thousands?) of kids endure a bus ride like this as a daily experience, and so the parents pull their child from the bus and drive them back and forth, because it's accepted that this is part of growing up?

Really, there are SO MANY kids who endure this daily. Why as a populace do we ignore all that and then react this incredibly strongly to this one situation? I wonder tonight, all the families across America who are shaking their heads wondering why they can't get any reaction whatsoever for their situation, and this school district has sentenced these children to something our school district doesn't even allow - a year at the alternative school.

Maybe because this was so "in your face". Maybe many people could identify with what she was put through, and saw themselves at one point in their life. Maybe by giving to her, they felt that a personal and private wrong that was done to them was in some way righted.

Every school district has a set of guide lines that they must adhere to as far as discipline. Each of these families waived their rights to a hearing and agreed to the one year suspensions from school and bus transportation, the Reengagmement center, fifty hours of community service with senior citizens and the formal bullying prevention program. If these boys were model students and had never been in trouble before, I don't think this would have been the outcome. I think that there is more to this story than we will ever know because these boys are minors.

I taught public school for many years and I can tell you firsthand that many schools simply ignore bad behavior and tend to blame the teacher, suggest it is their fault and instantly jump on them if they attempt to discipline them by words or taking away privileges.

At the schools I worked, suspensions counted against the school's state score. So kids weren't suspended, even for breaking windows on my car. We were told if a child attacked us and hit us that we were to stand there with our hands up in the air so that the child couldn't accuse us of putting hands on them.

One of the main reasons I gave up teaching is because it became too dangerous and there was no backup from the principal, the parents or the administration. I didn't work all those years to get a degree to have my whole career destroyed by an angry kid who hot me and then lied and said I hit them. I saw that happen a few times.

There wasn't much the bus monitor could do. She couldn't fight back verbally, she probably had no power to do anything but give out idle threats which would only make the situation worse. I feel for her. I am so glad she will be able to retire.

This is exactly why we need cameras in classrooms and buses. I worked at a place where we had cameras in the class and I loved it. All it did was prove what a good teacher I was and protected me against sue happy parents and kids who lied when they did wrong.

Maybe because this was so "in your face". Maybe many people could identify with what she was put through, and saw themselves at one point in their life. Maybe by giving to her, they felt that a personal and private wrong that was done to them was in some way righted.
It might not be so shocking when these kids bully each other because people are used to it.
But she is an older woman and yet these teens showed no respect whatsoever.

A bullied bus driver will turn honored guest at the Sandestin Hilton.

New York school bus monitor Karen Klein’s story became national news for a bullying she endured from four seventh graders.

Since the story spread, people throughout the country have come forward to offer their support, including the folks at the Hilton. Those at the resort hotel have stepped in to provide her an all-expenses-paid trip to the beaches of South Walton.

(snip)

http://www.waltonsun.com/news/bus-9268-hilton-bullied.html

A bullied bus driver will turn honored guest at the Sandestin Hilton.

New York school bus monitor Karen Klein’s story became national news for a bullying she endured from four seventh graders.

Since the story spread, people throughout the country have come forward to offer their support, including the folks at the Hilton. Those at the resort hotel have stepped in to provide her an all-expenses-paid trip to the beaches of South Walton.

(snip)

http://www.waltonsun.com/news/bus-9268-hilton-bullied.html

Thanks. Is that Florida? Good for her!

Thanks. Is that Florida? Good for her!

Just read this post. Yes, it's in FL on the Emerald Coast. It's about 45 minutes from me and it is beautiful! We have the best beaches in the world here :)

The bullied bus monitor made famous by a viral video is calling it quits after receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations.

Karen Klein, a grandmother from suburban Rochester, N.Y., told the Associated Press on Friday that she is leaving her job. She has been a bus monitor for the Greece School District for three years.

(snip)

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...d-ny-bus-monitor-karen-klein-calling-it-quits

Student who reduced elderly bus monitor to tears with bullying in 2012 'forces a special-needs classmate to drink urine and posts video on Snapchat'

In a 2012 video, bus monitor and grandmother Karen Huff Klein, 68, wiped away tears as she was verbally abused by middle school students

One of the bullies has been accused this week of forcing a special needs student to drink urine at Greece Athena High School

Mrs Klein said: 'They didn’t learn any lessons from the other ordeal. I don’t think they ever will'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...urine-posts-video-Snapchat.html#ixzz3YEX5MuH8

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back