CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to the latest motorcycle incident, I was searching for incidents in Colorado Springs and found this; I'm not sure if I'm having a brainfart and this has already been posted/documented on the spreadsheet and map. The following incident would have been before Romero. Sorry if already posted. I can't check the map/spreadsheet right now bc I'm out of data.

Springs Woman Has Window Shot Out While Driving On I-25
April 2, 2015 4:29 PM
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/04/02/springs-woman-has-window-shot-out-while-driving-on-i-25/

"COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (CBS4) – A Colorado Springs woman had a scare while driving home from work Wednesday evening. After thinking a tire had blown out, she turned around to find her window had been shot out."

Snip

"There are no suspects so far. Police say the shot was likely fired from a BB gun."

attachment.php

(credit: CBS)

attachment.php

(credit: CBS)

*video at link

Attachments

• car-window-shot-out-5so2tvo.jpg
    car-window-shot-out-5so2tvo.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 45
  • car-window-shot-out-5sotvo.jpg
    car-window-shot-out-5sotvo.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 43
Also re: the Co Springs incident from April 2 I just posted above:

"The woman, who didn’t want to be identified, was driving on Interstate 25 in Colorado Springs when the window shattered.

"I think it was probably random. I was moving, nobody was next to me,” the woman said.""
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/04/02/springs-woman-has-window-shot-out-while-driving-on-i-25/

*Boy, if this is related, a whole new geographical territory has just potentially been identified (if not already noted by Forager on the map and spreadsheet).

*Again, I wonder, for every incident mentioned, how many others are out there that we don't even know about. I am particularly interested in so many vehicle accidents that have occurred. Maybe one or some of them was shot at, and we do not even know about it. Jmo.

My question to LE:

Have any of the shatterings that have been conclusively identified by LE as being caused a bb gun/pellet ( the incidents that are not conclusively "road debris") been linked (or even attempted to be investigated as being linked)?

Hmmmmm:

"05-18-2015

"I heard from an excellent, reliable source that it happened again yesterday morning, but this time it was just north of Colorado Springs (by Monument/Woodmor), but I haven't seen anything on the news.""

Also, "It's interesting, because I am 100% sure it happened Sunday morning, but I haven't seen anything on the Denver news about it.

It was the exact same thing, a loud POP and the driver's window shattering."

http://www.city-data.com/forum/colo...-windows-shattering-denver.html#ixzz3kQMOy0D3

Hmmmmm:

"05-18-2015

"I heard from an excellent, reliable source that it happened again yesterday morning, but this time it was just north of Colorado Springs (by Monument/Woodmor), but I haven't seen anything on the news.""

Also, "It's interesting, because I am 100% sure it happened Sunday morning, but I haven't seen anything on the Denver news about it.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/colo...-windows-shattering-denver.html#ixzz3kQMOy0D3

I think the public and the newspapers need to put more pressure on LE to do thorough investigations and provide an honest report to the public.

The silence is deafening and more people are going to get hurt.

I think the public and the newspapers need to put more pressure on LE to do thorough investigations and provide an honest report to the public.

The silence is deafening and more people are going to get hurt.

What factors/variables/circumstances/conditions could possibly guarantee a shooter/s brazenness for this long in this area?

WB Hatfield!

What factors/variables/circumstances/conditions could possibly guarantee a shooter/s brazenness for this long in this area?

WB Hatfield!

From what I saw while I was looking for clusters attacks on vehicles on highways nationally, the clearance rate is pretty low. When young men go on shooting rampages during a single day, they often get caught. But if a perpetrator only makes single attacks, and waits for another day to make another attack in a different place, he can usually get away with it for a long time or altogether. Shooters who do get caught are usually only caught because they make blatant attacks from moving vehicles and someone sees them do it and gets a vehicle description or plate number. I think that it boils down to there not being much evidence for LE to follow: no finger prints, no relationships with the victims, no security camera footage, no DNA, not much of anything but the occasional, relatively hard to find bullet, pellet or BB. Or maybe just bullet dust.

From what I saw while I was looking for clusters attacks on vehicles on highways nationally, the clearance rate is pretty low. When young men go on shooting rampages during a single day, they often get caught. But if a perpetrator only makes single attacks, and waits for another day to make another attack in a different place, he can usually get away with it for a long time or altogether. Shooters who do get caught are usually only caught because they make blatant attacks from moving vehicles and someone sees them do it and gets a vehicle description or plate number. I think that it boils down to there not being much evidence for LE to follow: no finger prints, no relationships with the victims, no security camera footage, no DNA, not much of anything but the occasional, relatively hard to find bullet, pellet or BB. Or maybe just bullet dust.

It somehow seems more impulse driven than message or freak (pycho/sexual/political/identity/Whatever)? Like a streaker with a weapon or something looking for significance?

The other thing that seems possible is a drug/trafficking territory thing, but then it would just bring more attention to their activities as such, so the incentive may not exist?

Hmmmmm:

"05-18-2015

Our window shattering data from south of Denver is really poor. I think that I've heard of more incidents that I can't map (because they are from unpublished sources, or social media, or from MSM without specifics) than ones that I have mapped south of Denver.

Changing subjects, I've read those same words again and again: "I heard a loud pop, and then my window shattered". But I think that they are all a little wrong and should be saying "I heard a loud pop as the window shattered." Whether or not gun shots are involved, most of what they are hearing is the window itself popping. A lot of energy is released very quickly when a temperered glass window shatters, and it makes a loud pop. That isn't to say that a gunshot isn't involved, but if it is, the sound from the gun makes it to the car a tiny bit after the bullet. A bullet leaves a rifle faster than the speed of sound, so the sound arrives at the target after the bullet. (That's why they say that "you never hear the one that gets you.")

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...motorcycle-with-husband-at-garden-of-the-gods

probably not related to the Northern Colorado shootings but similar enough to mention...and frightening too...

I agree that it doesn't sound like the same perpetrator(s), but maybe it's linked at some other level. Has the idea of shooting at people on the move somehow captured imaginations in Colorado? Something from popular culture? Pound for pound, Coloradoans have been doing more shootings recently on the highways than anyone else by a lot.

Our window shattering data from south of Denver is really poor. I think that I've heard of more incidents that I can't map (because they are from unpublished sources, or social media, or from MSM without specifics) than ones that I have mapped south of Denver.

Changing subjects, I've read those same words again and again: "I heard a loud pop, and then my window shattered". But I think that they are all a little wrong and should be saying "I heard a loud pop as the window shattered." Whether or not gun shots are involved, most of what they are hearing is the window itself popping. A lot of energy is released very quickly when a temperered glass window shatters, and it makes a loud pop. That isn't to say that a gunshot isn't involved, but if it is, the sound from the gun makes it to the car a tiny bit after the bullet. A bullet leaves a rifle faster than the speed of sound, so the sound arrives at the target after the bullet. (That's why they say that "you never hear the one that gets you.")

This is a really good point and I also have considered this. The bottom line is even if a projectile breaks the window, the window is going to break simultaneously with the sound of the projectile hitting the window. So the sound of something hitting the class and the window "exploding" will be merged together. Its not like there is any time between the 2.

So a victim is not going to first hear one and then the other. They would hear it all happen at same exact time.

And I do agree that an exploding window by itself could make a loud popping sound.

So I have considered that maybe a huge bad order of bad window glass was shipped to Colorado and maybe the vehicles are just now experiencing their windows failing from a bad batch of bad glass. However, even if some of the cars are experiencing faulty bad glass, I don't think it accounts for a lot of the more serious incidents because we have seen enough pictures to actually see the impact of the projectile.

You can see the little tiny point where the projectile is hitting the glass. We have seen multiple pictures now where you can easily spot where the projectile hit the glass. Some had nice stress fractures going away from the impact point. So I have to keep thinking that somebody is doing some shooting at these vehicles.

The thing that keeps confusing me is the witnesses always say there is nobody alongside of them or near them that they could tell. Which is the opposite of what I would expect. I keep thinking the DC sniper situation. Where 2 people are working from a Van or something and they have a hole in the van wall and can easily take pot shots at people without being seen because the driver would act like nothing is happening.

But the witnesses mostly don't see another vehicle near them. So then it points to maybe the perps Van or Truck is just parked nearby waiting for the person to drive by. Its a much tougher shot that way but possible.

No matter what the situation the thing that gets me most upset is the LE response is not sufficient. They surely can get to the bottom of what is going on. And I think they likely have and are just not telling us which is what is upsetting. This is not something to hide from the public and keep ignoring. The people deserve answers.

By now, LE could have setup multiple extra cameras in the areas most often hit and get some footage of the area right near a shooting.

It is not a ghost doing these things and there is some solid answers out there. We just need LE to tell us what is going on and quit pretending this is just normal. It is so NOT NORMAL as I have never heard of this type of thing before with the numbers of incidents that are going on. Way too many.

I agree that it doesn't sound like the same perpetrator(s), but maybe it's linked at some other level. Has the idea of shooting at people on the move somehow captured imaginations in Colorado? Something from popular culture? Pound for pound, Coloradoans have been doing more shootings recently on the highways than anyone else by a lot.
I hope we can agree that the wound on this poor woman's back wasn't caused by road debris...

WB Hatfield!

This is a great question.

I suppose so long as LE doesn't arrest anyone, then they would just continue to have "fun" indefinitely until they get bored with it. Right now it is most likely a challenge to them not to ever get caught and since they have by now noticed some of the incidents being reported in the paper they are probably getting a kick out of it and are getting more and more bold about it.

It almost has the flaver of like gangs trying to see who gets the most "points". Like I got 2 today, how many did you get?

We have so many drive bys where I live that I am convinced gangs shoot random people just to get prestige in their gang which is really sick. But it happens very frequently where I live. Many random shootings late at night and mostly drive-bys to other vehicles but lately they have been doing drive-bys into peoples homes. Some are intended targets but some road shootings I am convinced are just totally random and the gang members are doing it just for prestige in their gang. Almost like initiation or just for more clout. Which is really sick.

These window shootings in CO almost have that sort of feel to it. Someone is having a blast in their mind and enjoying themselves. There are so many of them I do wonder if multiple people are involved and not just 2 people in a van or truck. There could be like 10-12 of them and I have even wondered if maybe it is not necessarily a real gang but maybe just a group of young teens that decided to create their own "game of vandalism" that could be doing this.

Sort of like the Bridge Rock throwers we had quite a few years ago.

No matter who is doing it, they can be caught and it cannot be this difficult to catch them. Which makes me think LE has not treated this nearly as serious as they should be.

MORGAN COUNTY – A semi-truck driver suffered minor injuries after his front windshield shattered while he was driving on eastbound US 34 near the Morgan and Weld county borders Monday morning.

It happened around 7:20 a.m. and 7:30 a.m., near mile marker 144, according to Colorado State Patrol.

The task force has not said whether or not Monday's incident was related to any of the previous ones.

As of Aug. 18, they were continuing to meet daily, and have not yet made an arrest, the Fort Collins Coloradoan reports.

http://www.9news.com/story/news/loc...-county-semi-truck-window-shattered/71482654/

Jmo but a task force that meets daily to discuss "road debris" seems like a waste of our taxpaying dollars and sure seems silly to me.

Not buying the "nothing to see here, move along" attitude being portrayed to the public by LE.

Sarcasm aside, it must be very hard for the loved ones of the 2 deceased victims and also the one who was injured in the neck to not know who has done this. This needs to stop.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

this woman from windshield repair thinks it is normal what we are seeing in Colorado:

http://www.reporterherald.com/ci_28031329/shattered-vehicle-windows-said-be-fairly-common

Christina Seals, owner of Anchor Auto Glass and Tint in Loveland, said her shop replaces shattered side windows every week.

"Side glass is made to shatter when it breaks on 80-95 percent of vehicles," she said. "So when something does hit side glass, it's made to shatter into a million little pieces, which makes a really loud noise. We get people in here all the time who think they've been shot at."

She said side windows are made from tempered glass, which has been put through extremely hot and extremely cold temperatures that allow it to shatter easily.

Using that kind of glass is considered a safety feature — it prevents big slices of glass from occurring if the window breaks and gives a person the ability to break the glass effectively in an emergency situation.

"We do more side window replacements in the spring, summer and fall months," Seals said. "That's when you have roads being worked on where rocks can fly up and hit the window. Weed eaters are notorious for flinging rocks and debris, too."

She also pointed out that the windows will shatter only if hit hard enough with something sharp — hitting a side window with something dull won't do the trick. She gave the example she uses when training new employees: she has them punch a piece of tempered glass — when it doesn't break she punches it with a small blade in her hand and it shatters on impact.

Christina Seals, owner of Anchor Auto Glass & Tint, poses for a photo holding a side window for a vehicle on Friday at her Loveland shop. Talking about the recent string of broken windows in Northern Colorado, Seals said it is common for side windows to shatter upon impact because most of them are made to do so. (Jenny Sparks / Loveland Reporter-Herald)

this woman from windshield repair thinks it is normal what we are seeing in Colorado:

http://www.reporterherald.com/ci_28031329/shattered-vehicle-windows-said-be-fairly-common

Christina Seals, owner of Anchor Auto Glass and Tint in Loveland, said her shop replaces shattered side windows every week.

"Side glass is made to shatter when it breaks on 80-95 percent of vehicles," she said. "So when something does hit side glass, it's made to shatter into a million little pieces, which makes a really loud noise. We get people in here all the time who think they've been shot at."

She said side windows are made from tempered glass, which has been put through extremely hot and extremely cold temperatures that allow it to shatter easily.

Using that kind of glass is considered a safety feature — it prevents big slices of glass from occurring if the window breaks and gives a person the ability to break the glass effectively in an emergency situation.

"We do more side window replacements in the spring, summer and fall months," Seals said. "That's when you have roads being worked on where rocks can fly up and hit the window. Weed eaters are notorious for flinging rocks and debris, too."

She also pointed out that the windows will shatter only if hit hard enough with something sharp — hitting a side window with something dull won't do the trick. She gave the example she uses when training new employees: she has them punch a piece of tempered glass — when it doesn't break she punches it with a small blade in her hand and it shatters on impact.

Christina Seals, owner of Anchor Auto Glass & Tint, poses for a photo holding a side window for a vehicle on Friday at her Loveland shop. Talking about the recent string of broken windows in Northern Colorado, Seals said it is common for side windows to shatter upon impact because most of them are made to do so. (Jenny Sparks / Loveland Reporter-Herald)

She did not give us any statistics about numbers from years past. I would have liked to see her go on record to say the number of repairs are no larger than last year. She never gave information on the numbers so I cant determine anything from what she said. We already knew about the tempered glass and most of what she said was stuff we already knew.

We need statistics on the numbers as compared to last year.

Someone posted a comment on that article which made a whole lot of sense to me. They asked when was the last time you had a side window or windshield break from road debri?

NEVER. And I agree with him. I have never ever had it happen in over 30 years. And I don't even know anybody that is has happened to. The way LE is making it sound is that this is a common thing that we all experience. Im sorry I don't buy it. It may happen once in a blue moon but surely not the numbers we have been seeing.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...motorcycle-with-husband-at-garden-of-the-gods

probably not related to the Northern Colorado shootings but similar enough to mention...and frightening too...

SearchinGirl, I agree that it is frightening, even terrorizing to some. Sad that such a pristine and safe place for families and groups seem to be targeted. Synonymous to the National Forest random shooting, who would feel safe to go and enjoy nature with the chance of catching a stray bullet for unknown reasons?

The history of Garden of the Gods is very interesting...

History of the Garden of the Gods

The human history of the Garden of the Gods commences many centuries before our present time. Stone hearths and fire rings found in the Garden dating over 3000 years ago indicate the presence of early inhabitants, According to Ute traditions, their people have always lived in this area, not having any stories of migration from elsewhere. The Utes were known to winter in the Garden of the Gods prior to removal to reservations in southwestern Colorado and northeastern Utah.

Modern history of the Garden begins in 1858 when gold was discovered along the Front Range and in South Park, northwest of Colorado Springs. Thousands of prospectors and settlers flocked to the area, including a party from Lawrence, Kansas, who camped along the stream known as Camp Creek, and carved their names on the sandstone boulder we call “Signature Rock.” In 1859, the Garden was named by two surveyors who were laying out the town of Colorado City, south of the Park. As they were riding their horses through the Garden, Malancthon Beach remarked the place would be a “capital place for a beer garden.” Rufus Cable replied, “Beer Garden! Why it is a place fit for the gods to assemble. We will call it Garden of the Gods."
<snipped - read more @ link>

http://www.friendsofgardenofthegods.org/HistoryoftheParkV.aspx

<BREAKING>
Your West Valley News: Local news from Phoenix's West ...
www.yourwestvalley.com/ <Video>

DPS: One hurt as shots hit three vehicles on I-10. PHOENIX (AP) ....

DPS chief: 'You should be concerned' about I-10 shootings

Posted: Aug 31, 2015

PHOENIX (KPHO/KTVK/AP) -
Danger on the freeways.

Valley drivers are on "high alert" after a series of freeway shootings over the weekend.

"Somebody is going to wind up dying," said motorist Andrew Packer.

Shots have been fired at several vehicles on Interstate 10 in Phoenix over the past few days, with bullets striking four vehicles and injuring one person, according to Arizona's Department of Public Safety.

"You should be concerned," DPS Director Col. Frank Milstead said. "We have someone or some people shooting guns at moving cars on Interstate 10. It has not ended in a tragedy but it could."

Milstead called a news briefing Monday afternoon to emphasize the need for the public's help in solving the case.
<snipped - read more>

Read more: http://www.kpho.com/story/29924254/...-concerned-about-i-10-shootings#ixzz3kSYcrsi7

RAW: DPS chief talks about I-10 shootings
http://www.kpho.com/clip/11809294/raw-dps-chief-talks-about-i-10-shootings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads