Starting from Scratch-SSN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it depends on what year you did this.
I graduated in 1983 - I didn't get mine in school.

My hubby graduated in 1976, he said he got his by applying at the post office (he may mean SS office)

For all I mentioned, this was in the late 60's in grade school. However, I do know people could get them at PO then too. Apparently, talking about SSN's and applying was a popular thing to do at school - I guess it killed a couple hours, LOL. My brother is 4 years younger than me, and he can't recall doing this in class and thinks he went to po to get his for bank account.

Ok--I am starting a project and recruiting people to help me with this. It helps if you have an ancestry account.

One of the options we have is that BK was missing and declared dead, so if we can find someone from SSDI that raises a red flag, we can research them further as a potential match to BK. I am going through the SSDI by the partial SS search numbers and gathering names. At this point in time, I am only doing searches using an Aug birth month, but am not using a birth year. I included dates after 2004 because someone may have declared him dead after 2004. We can expand the search perimeters later if we need to.

Once I have a list, I will post it here, and we can each take names and start to research the names further. For example, I did a search for 305-44 tonight on SSDI. I eliminated females from my list, as well as people who were born before 1935. I have six pages worth of data, and a few names already popped out at me as needing further research, but I want to see what you guys think. Big example, the #1 name is Herman Powell: I think we already looked into this person, but I am still going to research this.

There is six pages worth of names. As an aside, I have been to Indiana twice and it was a fine place, but apparently people really like to stay there, as I was surprised at the number of people who were born and died in IN; a much larger proportion than those who moved out of state. So...here is the first list; I will add more in a day or so. I will take the first 20 names to research: Herman Powell to and including Donald Schultz. Now, when researching people, should we post info for everyone to see, or how should we handle this? SHould I start a new thread for SSDI research?
As for this part, the Powell's were done(there wasn't many), a couple of months ago and the results were post on one of the boards. I will see where and post, if I can find.

OK, before I start a new thread, I have PMed Carolwood to get her advice/input on this before I/we do anymore work. Thanks Dream!
===================================================

I just wanted to say that Carolwood has done a lot of this work already.
Getting her feedback would be very helpful.

And I do not have an ancestry account.
Willing to look though.

Oh--you are already here! Thank you!
As for this part, the Powell's were done(there wasn't many), a couple of months ago and the results were post on one of the boards. I will see where and post, if I can find.

I guess it depends on what year you did this.
I graduated in 1983 - I didn't get mine in school.

My hubby graduated in 1976, he said he got his by filling out a card that was at the post office.
He says he was really young when he did this, he thinks 10 or 11.

He like me has always worked.
================================\
I had to go to the local ssa office in the old courthouse, in a town 20 miles away.

I guess it's safe to say that we've all probably had different experiences with getting our SS card.

Regarding obtaining a new SSN-

One of our posters has a dad who is a federal judge. She talked to dad for us and asked how BK would obtain a new SSN and legal ID.

1.) The state of GA allows for a name change via useage rather than doing it via application. In other words, I simply need to prove that friends, family and third parties (post office, creditors, magazine subscriptions) are addressing me by my new name. Mr. Kyle receives mail in the name of Benjaman Kyle, it is also how everyone he knows addresses him, so this hurdle is achieved. It is considered a common law name change.

2.) Mr. Kyle or someone acting on his behalf can file a writ of mandamus in a court requesting that the SSA provide him with a new SSN. He basically is throwing himself on the mercy of the court and requesting relief from a hardship he is experiencing by being denied a basic right.

I sent Mr. Kyle this information a while ago, but thought I had posted it somewhere on the thread....d'oh.
[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandamus[/ame]

Regarding obtaining a new SSN-

One of our posters has a dad who is a federal judge. She talked to dad for us and asked how BK would obtain a new SSN and legal ID.

1.) The state of GA allows for a name change via useage rather than doing it via application. In other words, I simply need to prove that friends, family and third parties (post office, creditors, magazine subscriptions) are addressing me by my new name. Mr. Kyle receives mail in the name of Benjaman Kyle, it is also how everyone he knows addresses him, so this hurdle is achieved. It is considered a common law name change.

2.) Mr. Kyle or someone acting on his behalf can file a writ of mandamus in a court requesting that the SSA provide him with a new SSN. He basically is throwing himself on the mercy of the court and requesting relief from a hardship he is experiencing by being denied a basic right.

I sent Mr. Kyle this information a while ago, but thought I had posted it somewhere on the thread....d'oh.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandamus
--------------------------------------------------------------

Oh my gosh. I do not remember you posting this.
What great news.
I hope Benjaman Kyle has this started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads